473,544 Members | 1,508 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Latest Bytes Forum

Support forums for various IT topics. Programming languages, databases, systems, applications and more. Subscribe to a community, participate, ask, share your expertise and network.

acoder
thread by: acoder | last post Jun 22 '09 by: PRR
The matches start tomorrow. Anyone here following it? Which team do you support? Who do you think will win? (Do you even know what cricket is?!)
thread by: King Raz | last post Jun 27 '08 by: Jon Harrop
The shootout site has benchmarks comparing different languages. It includes C# Mono vs Java but not C# .NET vs Java. So I went through all the benchmark on the site ... http://kingrazi.blogspot.com/2008/05/shootout-c-net-vs-java-benchmarks.html Just to keep the post on topic for my friends at comp.lang.c++, how do I play default windows...
DeMan
thread by: DeMan | last post Jul 23 '08 by: Brosert
A Rebus puzzle is one where a picture (usually a picture of text) represents a common saying or idea.... Starting with a simple one, then, what does the following represent MAN ------- BOARD
thread by: Montrose... | last post Nov 22 '05 by: Jeff_Relf
After working in c# for a year, the only conclusion I can come to is that I wish I knew c. All I need is Linux, the gnu c compiler and I can do anything. Web services are just open sockets hooked up to interfaces. The Gtk is more than enough gui.
thread by: AricC | last post Oct 5 '08 by: KevinADC
I've been watching a lot of movies lately. If you see a movie add it to the thread, give it a review. I know we have a similiar thread, but it died and I couldn't find it.(Someone sticky this?) Movie Children of Men (Rated R): I thought this was a very interesting, the concept of no more children being born is pretty wild if you think about...
thread by: CBFalconer | last post Apr 3 '06 by: Dave Thompson
We often find hidden, and totally unnecessary, assumptions being made in code. The following leans heavily on one particular example, which happens to be in C. However similar things can (and do) occur in any language. These assumptions are generally made because of familiarity with the language. As a non-code example, consider the idea...
thread by: Lloyd Bonafide | last post Jun 27 '08 by: Bill Butler
I followed a link to James Kanze's web site in another thread and was surprised to read this comment by a link to a GC: "I can't imagine writing C++ without it" How many of you c.l.c++'ers use one, and in what percentage of your projects is one used? I have never used one in personal or professional C++ programming. Am I a holdover to...
thread by: rkusenet | last post Nov 12 '05 by: Joel Garry
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040526/tech_database_marketshare_1.html Interesting to see that database sales for windows is more than Unix.
thread by: MyWaterloo | last post May 10 '11 by: NeoPa
This thread has been closed as it has gotten just too big. If you have any questions about the application discussed in this thread please start a new thread in MS Access by clicking on the Start a Discussion button and link to the this thread in your question. Just wondering...Am I the only one in the access universe that would like an...
thread by: Xah Lee | last post Nov 15 '05 by: noah bedford
Jargons of Info Tech industry (A Love of Jargons) Xah Lee, 2002 Feb People in the computing field like to spur the use of spurious jargons. The less educated they are, the more they like extraneous jargons, such as in the Unix & Perl community. Unlike mathematicians, where in mathematics there are no fewer jargons but each and every...
thread by: extrudedaluminiu | last post May 14 '06 by: Dave Thompson
Hi, Is there any group in the manner of the C++ Boost group that works on the evolution of the C language? Or is there any group that performs an equivalent function? Thanks, -vs
bartonc
thread by: bartonc | last post Apr 5 '09 by: NeoPa
A lot of us aren't very original - fisrt initial + last name, first name + last initial, etc. On the other end of the spectrum there's banfa (who, like the output of a good compiler, is relocatable). I'm curious about the origin of your handle (everyone).
thread by: Antoninus Twink | last post Nov 13 '07 by: user923005
The function below is from Richard HeathField's fgetline program. For some reason, it makes three passes through the string (a strlen(), a strcpy() then another pass to change dots) when two would clearly be sufficient. This could lead to unnecessarily bad performance on very long strings. It is also written in a hard-to-read and clunky style....
thread by: Xah Lee | last post Oct 12 '07 by: bbound
http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html ] The Modernization of Emacs ---------------------------------------- THE PROBLEM Emacs is a great editor. It is perhaps the most powerful and most versatile text editor. And, besides text editing, it also serves as a
thread by: jacob navia | last post Feb 18 '07 by: Douglas A. Gwyn
Rcently I posted code in this group, to help a user that asked to know how he could find out the size of a block allocated with malloc. As always when I post something, the same group of people started to try to find possible errors, a harmless passtime they seem to enjoy. One of their remarks was that I used "int" instead of "size_t"...
thread by: King Raz | last post Jun 27 '08 by: Jon Harrop
The shootout site has benchmarks comparing different languages. It includes C# Mono vs Java but not C# .NET vs Java. So I went through all the benchmark on the site ... http://kingrazi.blogspot.com/2008/05/shootout-c-net-vs-java-benchmarks.html Just to keep the post on topic for my friends at comp.lang.c++, how do I play default windows...
thread by: mike420 | last post Jul 18 '05 by: Andrew Dalke
In the context of LATEX, some Pythonista asked what the big successes of Lisp were. I think there were at least three *big* successes. a. orbitz.com web site uses Lisp for algorithms, etc. b. Yahoo store was originally written in Lisp. c. Emacs The issues with these will probably come up, so I might as well mention them myself (which...
thread by: Lee | last post Jan 26 '06 by: Mark McIntyre
Hi Whenever I use the gets() function, the gnu c compiler gives a warning that it is dangerous to use gets(). Is this due to the possibility of array overflow? Is it correct that the program flow can be altered by giving some specific calculated inputs to gets()? How could anyone do so once the executable binary have been generated? I...
thread by: Ståle Sæbøe | last post Jul 21 '05 by: Felix Miata
I am a bit curious about this. The graphic design people I work with say it is their preferred font for web pages. The reason being that it is "kinder" to the eye both in terms of shape and size. The HTML "hardcore elititst" profess that it is a useless font because it is too big compared to other fonts. Personally I do not care one...
thread by: napi | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Dik T. Winter
I think you would agree with me that a C compiler that directly produces Java Byte Code to be run on any JVM is something that is missing to software programmers so far. With such a tool one could stay with C and still be able to produce Java byte code for platform independent apps. Also, old programs (with some tweaking) could be...
thread by: Sheth Raxit | last post Oct 10 '07 by: Richard Bos
Machine 1 : bash-3.00$ uname -a SunOS <hostname5.10 Generic_118822-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R bash-3.00$ gcc -v Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/ specs gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
thread by: jacob navia | last post May 24 '07 by: Richard Tobin
In the discussion group comp.std.c Mr Gwyn wrote: < quote > .... gets has been declared an obsolescent feature and deprecated, as a direct result of my submitting a DR about it (which originally suggested a less drastic change). (The official impact awaits wrapping up the latest batch of TCs into a formal amending document, and getting...
thread by: Astley Le Jasper | last post Nov 22 '08 by: greg
Sorry for the numpty question ... How do you find the reference name of an object? So if i have this bob = modulename.objectname() how do i find that the name is 'bob'
thread by: Peter Olcott | last post Mar 1 '07 by: Peter Olcott
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++/msg/a9092f0f6c9bf13a I think that the operator() member function does not work correctly, does anyone else know how to make a template for making two dimensional arrays from std::vectors ??? I want to use normal Array Syntax.
thread by: Jatinder | last post Nov 14 '05 by: Keith Thompson
I found these questions on a web site and wish to share with all of u out there,Can SomeOne Solve these Porgramming puzzles. Programming Puzzles Some companies certainly ask for these things. Specially Microsoft. Here are my favorite puzzles. Don't send me emails asking for the solutions.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.