473,724 Members | 2,290 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Outlook integration in vb.net Web development

I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.

Dec 20 '05 #1
14 4950
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.

Dec 20 '05 #2
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.


Dec 20 '05 #3
Gerhard,

It is in VB.net code
Button1.Attribu tes("onClick") =
"window.locatio n='mailto:n...@ non.com?subject =Cor demo&body=I hope this
helps?';"
It is C#

Almost the same with [] for the collection of attributes and a ; behind the
last aphostrophe.

I hope this helps a little bit?
Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:12******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be
using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a
little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....
>
> I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when
> I
> send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
> sender's
> Outlook Sent Items.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks.
>


Dec 20 '05 #4
Thanks for the javascript.

So using System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient there is no way to get this into an
Outlook mail sent box (the user mailbox is on the same network as the web
server)?

Thanks.

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

It is in VB.net code
Button1.Attribu tes("onClick") =
"window.locatio n='mailto:n...@ non.com?subject =Cor demo&body=I hope this
helps?';"
It is C#

Almost the same with [] for the collection of attributes and a ; behind the
last aphostrophe.

I hope this helps a little bit?
Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:12******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be
using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a
little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@communit y.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2******** *************** ***********@mic rosoft.com...
> I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....
>
> I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when
> I
> send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
> sender's
> Outlook Sent Items.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks.
>


Dec 20 '05 #5
Hi

The Smtp Client runs the SMTP approach, but outlook's message which running
with Exchange will run MAPI approach.
So the System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient did not go in the MAPI side.

Also for your scenario, you may also try the outlook automation.

819398 How to automate Outlook and Word by using Visual C# .NET to create a
pre-populated e-mail message that can be edited
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;819398

182614 OL98: Programming Examples for Referencing Items and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;182614
Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 21 '05 #6
Thanks. Maybe I am having a blonde day, but I still don't see how set this
up in a web app (the examples deal with Windows apps). I don't find any
references that can be added to connect to Outlook.

I need to be able to interface with Outlook (on the same intranet as the web
server) from a vb.net web app.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Bob

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi

The Smtp Client runs the SMTP approach, but outlook's message which running
with Exchange will run MAPI approach.
So the System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient did not go in the MAPI side.

Also for your scenario, you may also try the outlook automation.

819398 How to automate Outlook and Word by using Visual C# .NET to create a
pre-populated e-mail message that can be edited
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;819398

182614 OL98: Programming Examples for Referencing Items and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;182614
Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 21 '05 #7
Gerhard,

On Internet I dont believe Outlook interop will work, however now you write
Intranet than is this the webpage to look for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...h/default.aspx

I hope this helps a little bit?

Cor
Dec 21 '05 #8
Hi,

Thanks, but this is still talking about windows apps. I need to be able to
code it in a web application. It seems to me that since the code is running
on the same intranet as the exchange server, there should be some way to
integrate with it.

Sorry to keep bugging you....

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

On Internet I dont believe Outlook interop will work, however now you write
Intranet than is this the webpage to look for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...h/default.aspx

I hope this helps a little bit?

Cor

Dec 21 '05 #9
Hi Bob,

I am sorry if I have any misunderstandin g.

Yes, you are right, we did not recommend automation Outlook in ASP.NET(web
application) directly, it is an unsupported approach.
But we commonly can do the outlook automation in the client side, e.g. in
the script of the web page.

Based on my understanding, your web application will send a mail via
certian user's account. If this is a defined user account, e.g. user A,
then the sent mail should be put into the user A's outlook sent items
folder, am I right? But if another user B access the asp.net page, and send
mail, then under whose account, the mail will be sent, and where the sent
items message will be put into, A or B?

So I think maybe we can put the send mail action at the client side. So
that if user A access web page and automation outlook at client side to
send mail, after doing so, a sent item will occurred in the sent item
folder. So did user B.

As I said before, when outlook is working with Exchange, it goes the MAPI
way which is different from the SMTP way when we use
System.Net.Mail .SmtpClient. So if you send mail via SMTP server in your
ASP.NET web application server side (outlook can work with SMTP), the
outlook has no idea about that the mail has been sent.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 22 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
5737
by: Kurt | last post by:
Hi We are developing an off-the-shelf software suite for a certain business sector. Most of the program is simply a GUI on top of some .mdb files. Its a .net application written in c# One major requirement is "Outlook Integration". The Outlook contact folders are to be used for contact management I want to know what is the standard way to do this these days. Most of the information in MSDN seems rather old I first used the Outlook...
0
2305
by: Stylus Studio | last post by:
DataDirect XQuery(TM) is the First Embeddable Component for XQuery That is Modeled after the XQuery API for Java(TM) (XQJ) BEDFORD, Mass.--Sept. 20, 2005--DataDirect Technologies (http://www.datadirect.com), the software industry leader in standards-based components for connecting applications to data and an operating unit of Progress Software Corporation, today announced the release of DataDirect XQuery(TM), the first embeddable...
1
4061
by: Iain Miller | last post by:
Currently using & developing a new application in A97. This app has a lot of Name & Address information in it. A lot of that information will be duplicated in Outlook & I suddenly wondered if its possible under the newer versions of Office to use the information already stored in Outlook as part of an Access database project. The logic being that the data could then be held in one place rather than two. This is a customer & order management...
2
703
by: Gerhard | last post by:
I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the sender's Outlook Sent Items. How do I do that? Thanks.
2
2449
by: Pieter | last post by:
Hi, I'm using a thight integration with Outlook 2003 (with an Exchange server) in my VB.NET (2005) application. Until now I'm using the Outlook Object Model, but it appears to be very slow, and has some problems: - doing a Move changes the ReceivedTime of the MailItem - I can't use RichText in the MailItem.Body (only allows plain text or HTML) - some other stuff like having to use small 'tricks' to show the default signature in an email
1
2411
by: YellowfinTeam | last post by:
Marketplace: Yellowfin reporting 3.1 with BIRT Integration Yellowfin is proud to announce the release of 3.1. The major theme of this release is enhanced integration capability. We have introduced a range of new web services and authentication processes that allows for Yellowfin to be integrated into any environment with ease. These changes include: * Single signon capability
3
4145
by: Mike P | last post by:
Is it possible to incorporate Outlook in your web app so that you can view your Inbox from your web app? And if so, does anybody have any good links? *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
0
1332
by: Ben Grimwade | last post by:
Hi, im developing an Application that integrates with Outlook by creating an appointment in there calender. The code in question is below Dim appt As Outlook.AppointmentItem obj = diary.Items.Find(" = " & Chr(34) & idCheck & Chr(34)) If obj Is Nothing Then 'Now create a new appointment in the user's diary appt = m_OutlookApp.CreateItem(Outlook.OlItemType.olAppointmentItem) Else
5
2209
by: John | last post by:
Hi I have an Outlook add-in solution which includes a setup project. If I install the Outlook add-in by right clicking on the setup project and sleeting Install then the add-in gets installed fine in Outlook. However if I use the setup generated in the setup project Release folder then even though setup runs and finishes, the Outlook Add-in does not appear in Outlook. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks
0
8868
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Let’s take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
9389
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. Here is my compilation command: g++-12 -std=c++20 -Wnarrowing bit_field.cpp Here is the code in...
1
9160
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
9090
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
1
6689
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes instead of User Defined Types (UDT). For example, to manage the data in unbound forms. Adolph will...
0
4504
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
1
3210
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
2613
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
2149
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.