By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
432,069 Members | 1,716 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 432,069 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Newbie Question for VB Express

P: n/a
jch
Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual Studio. I've
got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm trying to learn how to
deploy a program so I've written a very basic windows application (lets call
it TWinApp1) with just a couple of buttons and a text box. It is very
simple and runs fine in the debugger. Using TWinApp1 I'm trying to learn
how to create a setup program to install an application on a system.
Publisher Wizard and the default settings (file paths, etc), creates a
setup.exe file. Clicking setup.exe, I would think, should install TWinApp1
on my computer. While this does create a shortcut of the program in the
Startup Menu, clicking the program there does nothing. The cursor changes
to hourglass for a moment and then comes back w/o having run the
application. I can uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat this
unsuccessful operation so I know something else is wrong.

What needs to be done to create a setup and install a windows applications
in VS 2008 Express?

Thanks,
jch
Sep 22 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
If you are running Vista,

what happens when you right click on the icon and say "run as
administrator"?

If it installed and put the icon on your desktop throu 'clickonce' you
should have a working copy of your simple form.

Miro

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:ai*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual Studio. I've
got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm trying to learn how
to deploy a program so I've written a very basic windows application (lets
call it TWinApp1) with just a couple of buttons and a text box. It is
very simple and runs fine in the debugger. Using TWinApp1 I'm trying to
learn how to create a setup program to install an application on a system.
Publisher Wizard and the default settings (file paths, etc), creates a
setup.exe file. Clicking setup.exe, I would think, should install
TWinApp1 on my computer. While this does create a shortcut of the program
in the Startup Menu, clicking the program there does nothing. The cursor
changes to hourglass for a moment and then comes back w/o having run the
application. I can uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat this
unsuccessful operation so I know something else is wrong.

What needs to be done to create a setup and install a windows applications
in VS 2008 Express?

Thanks,
jch
Sep 22 '08 #2

P: n/a
jch
I'm running XP. I'm not aware of what "clickonce" is. I don't see
clickonce in any of the VSE 2008 menus. VSE 2008 didn't put the installed
icon on my desktop during my attempts. It put an instance of icon in the
startup menu. Thanks for your comments. I'm still missing something.

Miro wrote:
If you are running Vista,

what happens when you right click on the icon and say "run as
administrator"?

If it installed and put the icon on your desktop throu 'clickonce' you
should have a working copy of your simple form.

Miro

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:ai*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
>Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual Studio.
I've got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm trying to
learn how to deploy a program so I've written a very basic windows
application (lets call it TWinApp1) with just a couple of buttons
and a text box. It is very simple and runs fine in the debugger. Using
TWinApp1 I'm trying to learn how to create a setup program to
install an application on a system. Publisher Wizard and the default
settings (file paths, etc), creates a setup.exe file. Clicking
setup.exe, I would think, should install TWinApp1 on my computer. While
this does create a shortcut of the program in the Startup
Menu, clicking the program there does nothing. The cursor changes
to hourglass for a moment and then comes back w/o having run the
application. I can uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat
this unsuccessful operation so I know something else is wrong. What needs
to be done to create a setup and install a windows
applications in VS 2008 Express?

Thanks,
jch

Sep 22 '08 #3

P: n/a
jch
I don't believe the Express version allows what I'm trying to do. I want to
create a windows installer to deploy projects and Express only allows what
I've now learned is called Clickonce. Clickonce only allows publishing to
the web, file share, or CD/DVD. If I'm wrong perhaps someone here will tell
me. If there is a way to create a Windows Installer Deployment in Express
using additional software, etc, please share that. Thank you.

jch wrote:
I'm running XP. I'm not aware of what "clickonce" is. I don't see
clickonce in any of the VSE 2008 menus. VSE 2008 didn't put the
installed icon on my desktop during my attempts. It put an instance
of icon in the startup menu. Thanks for your comments. I'm still
missing something.
Miro wrote:
>If you are running Vista,

what happens when you right click on the icon and say "run as
administrator"?

If it installed and put the icon on your desktop throu 'clickonce'
you should have a working copy of your simple form.

Miro

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:ai*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.net ...
>>Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual Studio.
I've got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm trying to
learn how to deploy a program so I've written a very basic windows
application (lets call it TWinApp1) with just a couple of buttons
and a text box. It is very simple and runs fine in the debugger.
Using TWinApp1 I'm trying to learn how to create a setup program to
install an application on a system. Publisher Wizard and the default
settings (file paths, etc), creates a setup.exe file. Clicking
setup.exe, I would think, should install TWinApp1 on my computer.
While this does create a shortcut of the program in the Startup
Menu, clicking the program there does nothing. The cursor changes
to hourglass for a moment and then comes back w/o having run the
application. I can uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat
this unsuccessful operation so I know something else is wrong. What
needs to be done to create a setup and install a windows
applications in VS 2008 Express?

Thanks,
jch

Sep 22 '08 #4

P: n/a
what do you mean by "a windows installer"

using click once you can create a setup program for your application
make it as for a cdsetup it will make all the files you need to install your
program

now if you want a setup packaged in only one excutable file then after using
clickonce you can package all your files with "iexpress.exe"
it is a standart utilitie shipped with windows xp

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:of*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
I don't believe the Express version allows what I'm trying to do. I want
to create a windows installer to deploy projects and Express only allows
what I've now learned is called Clickonce. Clickonce only allows
publishing to the web, file share, or CD/DVD. If I'm wrong perhaps
someone here will tell me. If there is a way to create a Windows
Installer Deployment in Express using additional software, etc, please
share that. Thank you.

jch wrote:
>I'm running XP. I'm not aware of what "clickonce" is. I don't see
clickonce in any of the VSE 2008 menus. VSE 2008 didn't put the
installed icon on my desktop during my attempts. It put an instance
of icon in the startup menu. Thanks for your comments. I'm still
missing something.
Miro wrote:
>>If you are running Vista,

what happens when you right click on the icon and say "run as
administrator"?

If it installed and put the icon on your desktop throu 'clickonce'
you should have a working copy of your simple form.

Miro

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:ai*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.ne t...
Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual Studio.
I've got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm trying to
learn how to deploy a program so I've written a very basic windows
application (lets call it TWinApp1) with just a couple of buttons
and a text box. It is very simple and runs fine in the debugger.
Using TWinApp1 I'm trying to learn how to create a setup program to
install an application on a system. Publisher Wizard and the default
settings (file paths, etc), creates a setup.exe file. Clicking
setup.exe, I would think, should install TWinApp1 on my computer.
While this does create a shortcut of the program in the Startup
Menu, clicking the program there does nothing. The cursor changes
to hourglass for a moment and then comes back w/o having run the
application. I can uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat
this unsuccessful operation so I know something else is wrong. What
needs to be done to create a setup and install a windows
applications in VS 2008 Express?

Thanks,
jch

Sep 22 '08 #5

P: n/a
jch
For some reason I can't get Clickonce to work. I'm now comparing VS
Express 2008 to a trial version of Visual Studios 2008. Using VS 2008 I can
correctly publish and create a working setup.exe file by adding a setup
project to the app, setting options, building and using windows installer
technology provided by VS 2008. This correctly produces a setup.exe file
which will actually install the test app I'm working with and I have control
over where that app is installed and other flexibility as well. However,
when using Visual Studio Express with the same app as before, the clickonce
feature appears to work but then when I run the setup.exe file it does not
create the executable file of the app I'm trying to deploy on my system. An
icon is created in the startup menu but does nothing when I click on it. I
have not tried to copy the manifest, application files, and setup.exe files
to a CD to install from there. I don't see that would make any difference.
Shouldn't I be able to run the setup from my HD and have it install the
program on my system as a test? It doesn't seem to work that way using VS
Express but I can easily accomplish this using VS 2008. What could I be
doing wrong in VSE using clickonce?

Gillard wrote:
what do you mean by "a windows installer"

using click once you can create a setup program for your application
make it as for a cdsetup it will make all the files you need to
install your program

now if you want a setup packaged in only one excutable file then
after using clickonce you can package all your files with "iexpress.exe"
it is a standart utilitie shipped with windows xp

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:of*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.net. ..
>I don't believe the Express version allows what I'm trying to do. I
want to create a windows installer to deploy projects and Express
only allows what I've now learned is called Clickonce. Clickonce
only allows publishing to the web, file share, or CD/DVD. If I'm
wrong perhaps someone here will tell me. If there is a way to
create a Windows Installer Deployment in Express using additional
software, etc, please share that. Thank you.

jch wrote:
>>I'm running XP. I'm not aware of what "clickonce" is. I don't see
clickonce in any of the VSE 2008 menus. VSE 2008 didn't put the
installed icon on my desktop during my attempts. It put an instance
of icon in the startup menu. Thanks for your comments. I'm still
missing something.
Miro wrote:
If you are running Vista,

what happens when you right click on the icon and say "run as
administrator"?

If it installed and put the icon on your desktop throu 'clickonce'
you should have a working copy of your simple form.

Miro

"jch" <jc*@control.comwrote in message
news:ai*******************@bignews1.bellsouth.n et...
Sorry for the newbie question but I'm trying to learn Visual
Studio. I've got VS Express 2008 and I'm using visual basic. I'm
trying to learn how to deploy a program so I've written a very
basic windows application (lets call it TWinApp1) with just a
couple of buttons and a text box. It is very simple and runs
fine in the debugger. Using TWinApp1 I'm trying to learn how to
create a setup program to install an application on a system.
Publisher Wizard and the default settings (file paths, etc),
creates a setup.exe file. Clicking setup.exe, I would think,
should install TWinApp1 on my computer. While this does create a
shortcut of the program in the Startup Menu, clicking the program
there does nothing. The cursor changes to hourglass for a moment
and then comes back w/o having run the application. I can
uninstall TWinApp1 via Add/Remove and repeat this unsuccessful
operation so I know something else is wrong. What needs to be
done to create a setup and install a windows applications in VS
2008 Express? Thanks,
jch

Sep 23 '08 #6

P: n/a
I'm a newbie too so forgive me if this is not what you meant.

make a new folder on you desktop and name it accordingly(whatever you
like)
open VBExpress with your project,
on the menu's go to build,
click build & watch the status bar at bottom of window,it says build
started.(I'm guessing this checks everything within the project),
when status bar says build succeeded then goto build menu & click
publish,
when the publish wizard opens select browse & find the new folder you
created on your desktop,
click open then click finish.

when all is done close VBE & go check your desktop folder.


Sep 23 '08 #7

P: n/a
jch
Thanks Marge. I tried what you suggested. BTW, at least on my system, I
received an error that I can't publish to the same directory as the build.
I think there's a different problem. Using VBE to publish my simple test
app continues to only produce an unlinked icon in my startup menu. Clicking
on it does nothing useful. This is silly as everyone else has no problems
in publishing their apps. I have no problems on VS 2008 and that is a more
complicated process.
Marge wrote:
I'm a newbie too so forgive me if this is not what you meant.

make a new folder on you desktop and name it accordingly(whatever you
like)
open VBExpress with your project,
on the menu's go to build,
click build & watch the status bar at bottom of window,it says build
started.(I'm guessing this checks everything within the project),
when status bar says build succeeded then goto build menu & click
publish,
when the publish wizard opens select browse & find the new folder you
created on your desktop,
click open then click finish.

when all is done close VBE & go check your desktop folder.

Sep 23 '08 #8

P: n/a
On 23 Sep, 15:03, "jch" <j...@control.comwrote:
Thanks Marge. *I tried what you suggested. *BTW, at least on my system, I
received an error that I can't publish to the same directory as the build..
I think there's a different problem. *Using VBE to publish my simple test
app continues to only produce an unlinked icon in my startup menu. *Clicking
on it does nothing useful. *This is silly as everyone else has no problems
in publishing their apps. *I have no problems on VS 2008 and that is a more
complicated process.

This is weird, I have a problem that I posted to the group lookup
Displaying Transparent GIF's, the end of the post has some
similarities to your remarks about the start menu??

here is the end of the post:

The VBExpress version had 3 items, a Apllication files folder,
setup.exe, and project1.application. If you click the application or
the setup.exe they both do the same and install the program. Clicking
the shortcut in star/programes etc runs the program ok with the faulty
non transparent gifs.

Here is the strange part, normally if you right click a start menu
shortcu you can "find target folder" so you can find the exe file, you
don't get the option, I also tried to search the whole hard drive for
the file name, it did not exsist? I finally went to controlpanel add/
remove to remove the program(it was listed there) and I did uninstall
it but how can you run an .Exe that doesn't exsist????
Sep 23 '08 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.