By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,462 Members | 1,057 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,462 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Can services have forms?

P: n/a
jim
I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have forms.

Is that true?

Jul 7 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
25 Replies


P: n/a

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have forms.

Is that true?
A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run unattended
once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with with a
service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI that
communicates with its FW service application.

Jul 7 '07 #2

P: n/a
jim

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have forms.

Is that true?

A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with with
a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI that
communicates with its FW service application.
Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?
Jul 7 '07 #3

P: n/a
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have forms.

Is that true?
Nope, not true at all. A Windows Service can have all the forms it want.
There's even a handly little "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" check
box you can explore in the service admin screen.

Now, as to the wisdom of having a Windows Service do Forms, that's another
story. If you go this route, you need to have a good answer for "What to do
if nobody is logged in?", and all of the edge cases around that.

Most people solve this by having the Service not have any Forms code, and
instead use a Remoting Proxy and an Admin Application. This seems to work
better. Just go look up "Remoting" and you'll find a number of examples all
over CodeProject.

If you want forms in your service simply for the sake of debugging, you can
take the hybrid approach:
http://www.coversant.com/dotnetnuke/...=88&EntryID=19

The approach I talk about there works for Console and WinForms apps.

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, Microsoft C# MVP
http://www.coversant.com/blogs/cmullins
Jul 8 '07 #4

P: n/a

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
>>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
forms.

Is that true?

A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI that
communicates with its FW service application.

Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?
This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as using
the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/se...controller.asp

You can also issue custom commands to the service.

http://dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/C4...643EEF8A6.dcik

It's a one way communications, but you could create trigger files or other
means in the service to let the Windows application know that an event has
happened, as an example.

Jul 8 '07 #5

P: n/a
Oh, one other thing I like to do when debugging a service application,
particularly, when debugging a library that I have written that the service
is using and I need to send messages to help in the debugging is do NET Send
commands back to the workstation the service is running on. The Windows
Messenger service must be enabled on the machine so that messages can be
seen, with a popup message window being displayed.

Jul 8 '07 #6

P: n/a
jim

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net ...
I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
forms.

Is that true?

A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI
that communicates with its FW service application.

Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?

This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.
Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Jul 8 '07 #7

P: n/a
Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Are you aware that there is practically no difference beetween C# and
VB.Net?
Jul 8 '07 #8

P: n/a

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:xW****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net.. .
>>>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.ne t...
>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
>forms.
>
Is that true?

A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI
that communicates with its FW service application.

Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?

This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?
Yes, I am aware I am in a VB NG. However, most examples of things are in C#
..Net. You can search Google and see if you can find some examples in VB.

Once again, there is no difference between C# and VB.Net. The only
difference between the two languages are syntactical. You should be able to
take the C# example and come out with a VB example doing the same thing.

Jul 8 '07 #9

P: n/a
I comunicate with a few of my services with remoting

this might be an option for you to
Michel
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comschreef in bericht
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
>>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.net ...
I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
forms.

Is that true?

A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.

But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI
that communicates with its FW service application.

Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?

This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/se...controller.asp

You can also issue custom commands to the service.

http://dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/C4...643EEF8A6.dcik

It's a one way communications, but you could create trigger files or
other means in the service to let the Windows application know that an
event has happened, as an example.

Jul 8 '07 #10

P: n/a
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:u2**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:xW****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl.. .
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth.n et...
>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
>>forms.
>>
>Is that true?
>
A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.
>
But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI
that communicates with its FW service application.

Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?

This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Yes, I am aware I am in a VB NG. However, most examples of things are in
C# .Net. You can search Google and see if you can find some examples in
VB.

Once again, there is no difference between C# and VB.Net. The only
difference between the two languages are syntactical. You should be able
to take the C# example and come out with a VB example doing the same
thing.
Unless you need pointers or anonymous delegates :-)

Jul 8 '07 #11

P: n/a
jim

"Blake" <no@emailwrote in message
news:u3*************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:u2**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:xW****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
>>>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.net ...
>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl. ..
>>
>"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
>news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth. net...
>>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
>>>forms.
>>>
>>Is that true?
>>
>A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
>unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.
>>
>But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate with
>with a service application, just like you see a personal firewall UI
>that communicates with its FW service application.
>
Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?

This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Yes, I am aware I am in a VB NG. However, most examples of things are in
C# .Net. You can search Google and see if you can find some examples in
VB.

Once again, there is no difference between C# and VB.Net. The only
difference between the two languages are syntactical. You should be able
to take the C# example and come out with a VB example doing the same
thing.

Unless you need pointers or anonymous delegates :-)
Exactly! C# and VB.Net are NOT the same. I am just learning VB.Net.

I hate .Net, but the job calls for it. I used to code in VB because I just
hate the syntax of C++. I like more verbose, natural languages. So, the
odds of me learning C# so that I can work in VB.Net are exactly zero.

jim
Jul 8 '07 #12

P: n/a

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:rb****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
"Blake" <no@emailwrote in message
news:u3*************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:u2**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:xW****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.ne t...
>>
>"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
>news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl.. .
>>>
>>"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
>>news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsouth .net...
>>>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
>>>>forms.
>>>>
>>>Is that true?
>>>
>>A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
>>unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.
>>>
>>But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate
>>with with a service application, just like you see a personal
>>firewall UI that communicates with its FW service application.
>>
>Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?
>
This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.

Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Yes, I am aware I am in a VB NG. However, most examples of things are in
C# .Net. You can search Google and see if you can find some examples in
VB.

Once again, there is no difference between C# and VB.Net. The only
difference between the two languages are syntactical. You should be able
to take the C# example and come out with a VB example doing the same
thing.

Unless you need pointers or anonymous delegates :-)

Exactly! C# and VB.Net are NOT the same. I am just learning VB.Net.
I have been working with VB since 1996 and C# since 2004 and for the vast
majority of what the languages do in using the .NET Framework, which is what
we're talking about here. they do the same thing.

>
I hate .Net, but the job calls for it. I used to code in VB because I
just hate the syntax of C++. I like more verbose, natural languages.
What's a verbose and natural language? The only one that could fit that bill
would be Cobol. There is Cobol.NET too that you can use.

So, the odds of me learning C# so that I can work in VB.Net are exactly
zero.
No one is telling you to learn C#. But you should be sharp enough to use an
example in C#, as to what you can do in VB. But if you can't run with it,
you can't run with it. Find an example in VB if you can and move on.

Jul 8 '07 #13

P: n/a
jim

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:ug**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:rb****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>>
"Blake" <no@emailwrote in message
news:u3*************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:u2**************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:xW****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
>
"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
news:Oc**************@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.. .
>>
>"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
>news:Oi*****************@bignews5.bellsouth.n et...
>>>
>>"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Ar****@Arnold.comwrote in message
>>news:%2***************@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl. ..
>>>>
>>>"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
>>>news:nk******************@bignews5.bellsout h.net...
>>>>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
>>>>>forms.
>>>>>
>>>>Is that true?
>>>>
>>>A service doesn't use forms, because the service is meant to run
>>>unattended once it's started/executed, with no user interfacing.
>>>>
>>>But a Windows desktop application using a form can communicate
>>>with with a service application, just like you see a personal
>>>firewall UI that communicates with its FW service application.
>>>
>>Do you know of any examples of this that I can learn from?
>>
>This is a C# example and everything that's being done in C# as far as
>using the namespace can be done in VB.NET as well.
>
Are you aware that you are in a VB.Net newsgroup?

Yes, I am aware I am in a VB NG. However, most examples of things are
in C# .Net. You can search Google and see if you can find some examples
in VB.

Once again, there is no difference between C# and VB.Net. The only
difference between the two languages are syntactical. You should be
able to take the C# example and come out with a VB example doing the
same thing.


Unless you need pointers or anonymous delegates :-)

Exactly! C# and VB.Net are NOT the same. I am just learning VB.Net.

I have been working with VB since 1996 and C# since 2004 and for the vast
majority of what the languages do in using the .NET Framework, which is
what we're talking about here. they do the same thing.
Then show use how to do pointers and anonymous delegates in VB.Net. (And,
for the love of God, don't post another "here's how to do it on C# - you can
convert it" BS answer.)
>
>>
I hate .Net, but the job calls for it. I used to code in VB because I
just hate the syntax of C++. I like more verbose, natural languages.

What's a verbose and natural language? The only one that could fit that
bill would be Cobol. There is Cobol.NET too that you can use.
Again.....you are in the VB.Net newsgroup, Waldo.
>
> So, the odds of me learning C# so that I can work in VB.Net are exactly
zero.

No one is telling you to learn C#. But you should be sharp enough to use
an example in C#, as to what you can do in VB. But if you can't run with
it, you can't run with it. Find an example in VB if you can and move on.
You're the idiot that keeps posting C# examples to questions posted in a
VB.Net newsgroup!

I'm blocking you now......no need to respond.....

jim
Jul 8 '07 #14

P: n/a
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in
news:i%****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net:
Then show use how to do pointers and anonymous delegates in VB.Net.
(And, for the love of God, don't post another "here's how to do it on
C# - you can convert it" BS answer.)
Yes, but 95% if the applications out there don't need pointers or anonymous
delegates.

For those apps that rely on pointers so heavily - wouldn't C++ be a better
choice?
Jul 8 '07 #15

P: n/a
>
I'm blocking you now......no need to respond.....
Really? You can pull your head out from whatever holes you have it
buried in. You try to help a *clown* out, just give the *clown* an
example on how to do something, but the *clown* is too stupid to piss in
a boot straight. The *clown* starts whining.

My goodness, what a mule head you are with a head as hard as ten bricks
and can't see past your nose, which has got your entire face covered.

Is there a Pamper and bottle in house, so that I can change you? <g>
Jul 8 '07 #16

P: n/a
Spam Catcher wrote:
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in
news:i%****************@bignews4.bellsouth.net:
>Then show use how to do pointers and anonymous delegates in VB.Net.
(And, for the love of God, don't post another "here's how to do it on
C# - you can convert it" BS answer.)

Yes, but 95% if the applications out there don't need pointers or anonymous
delegates.

For those apps that rely on pointers so heavily - wouldn't C++ be a better
choice?
I gave the *nut* some simple examples that used the
System.Processing.ServiceController namespace as the *nut* requested. A
two year old child can look at the examples in C# and say I need this
line of code, I need that line of code and how do I use the namespace in
VB.

C#

private ServiceController controller = new ServiceController();

VB

Dim controller as new ServiceController

Say it's not so that the *nut* can't figure it out.

Say it's not so that the *nut* couldn't use intellsense/early binding to
compare and do a here it is in C# and here is the equivalent in VB for
the statement.

The *nut* wants it handed to him on a silver tray so that he can use his
silver bowl, silver spoon, and silver baby bottle.

The *nut* can stick it up his silver behind.

Jul 8 '07 #17

P: n/a
DArnold <DA*****@DArnold.comwrote in news:eL0sKCbwHHA.1208
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
The *nut* wants it handed to him on a silver tray so that he can use his
silver bowl, silver spoon, and silver baby bottle.

The *nut* can stick it up his silver behind.
Ya too many in this group want to be spoon fed.
Jul 9 '07 #18

P: n/a
jim

"Spam Catcher" <sp**********@rogers.comwrote in message
news:Xn**********************************@127.0.0. 1...
DArnold <DA*****@DArnold.comwrote in news:eL0sKCbwHHA.1208
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>The *nut* wants it handed to him on a silver tray so that he can use his
silver bowl, silver spoon, and silver baby bottle.

The *nut* can stick it up his silver behind.

Ya too many in this group want to be spoon fed.
Not me. I just want VB.Net answers in a VB.Net newsgroup. Posting C#
replies to requests for VB.Net examples is not only against the spirit of
this newsgroup, it is against logic.

I am sure that there is code written in C or C++ that may do what I am
trying to do. But, if I wanted C or C++ code I would be asking for help in
those newsgroups - like I should.

If people can't answer the question asked, instead of posting some jackass
response like "Google it" or some off-topic links to another language, they
should kindly stfu.

I don't even think anyone here knows how to accomplish this in VB.Net. Most
of the answers that I have seen offered here are simple ones that could have
been found by using the Help that comes with .Net.

I obviously chose the wrong place to ask this question.

My bad.

jim
Jul 9 '07 #19

P: n/a
We have Moses in the house. Moses has appeared and needs to put out a
few words.

And as Moses would say "IF YOU CAN'T LIVE BY THE LAW THEN DIE BY THE
LAW" as Moses tosses the VB tablets at the pagan C# pig. :)
They need to lock old Moses and the tablets up.
Jul 9 '07 #20

P: n/a
"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduschrieb
Not me. I just want VB.Net answers in a VB.Net newsgroup. Posting
C# replies to requests for VB.Net examples is not only against the
spirit of this newsgroup, it is against logic.
Any help that /can/ help is help. Even a C# example might help you. It
doesn't have to but it's possible. Better than nothing. And if it is for
free, say "thank you", don't complain and maybe wait for a VB.Net example.

You should better not ask your initial question in a VB.Net group. Don't
even ask it in any .Net group. Why? Because it is not specific to neither
VB.Net, nor to .Net at all. It is specific to the OS, so you should better
look at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms685141.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms683502.aspx
and ask somewhere at m.p.win32.programmer.*

No, where to ask the question is NOT a matter of which language
you use - because the answer would be the same for different
languages. It would even be the same for the not-Framework-world
(unmanaged C++ eg). So, it's a *.win32.* question.

If you have problems in finding the implementation in the Framework, ask in
a Framework group. If you have syntax problems in VB.Net, ask in this group.
Welcome to the usenet! (Unfortunatelly there are many people that do not
know this (and unfortunatelly it's forbidden in this group to say this to
people (and from time to time I get tired of reading all these OT
questions (BTW, VB.net has no keyword to convert a WAV to an MP3...))))
Armin

Jul 9 '07 #21

P: n/a
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 23:07:59 -0400, "jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote:
>Not me. I just want VB.Net answers in a VB.Net newsgroup. Posting C#
replies to requests for VB.Net examples is not only against the spirit of
this newsgroup, it is against logic.

I am sure that there is code written in C or C++ that may do what I am
trying to do. But, if I wanted C or C++ code I would be asking for help in
those newsgroups - like I should.
Time to feed the troll ...

Suppose I was to ask a question about how to do something extremely
specialized. Spending most of my time in VB.Net and not knowing what
group best covers the question, I would post it in my favorite VB.Net
group, hoping someone could point me in the right direction. If a
sample for the solution is only available in Java, so be it. I would
rather have a Java answer than a "no, can't think of any VB.Net
samples" one.

What if you want to accomplish something which is only possible
by making Win32 calls because it has not been wrapped by the
framework? Do you say "don't give me Win32 answers in a VB
newsgroup"?

If most implementations covering a specific domain is usually done in
C#, there is nothing wrong in giving you a C# answer. Though you may
not want to translate the C# answer to VB.Net, you might find a few
choice words or namespaces that would help you search/Google for
an answer more suited to your programming tastes. And yes, Google
will often answer most questions you might have and I believe it is
encouraged to search for an answer before posting trivial questions
for the umpteenth time in a newsgroup. You might want to try
http://searchdotnet.com/ (custom Google search) for a better
signal-to-noise ratio when searching for .Net solutions.

Feel free to block me and anyone who does not share this view
of yours, but I suspect you then won't see much traffic in this group
anymore.

Regards,

Joergen Bech

Jul 9 '07 #22

P: n/a
jim wrote:
I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have forms.
They can probably /have/ them, but work on the assumption that no-one
will ever be able to get to /see/ them.

The ability for Services to "interact with the desktop", i.e. to display
forms and dialogs, is going to /disappear/ in future versions of Windows
(if it hasn't already, with Vista).

HTH,
Phill W.
Jul 9 '07 #23

P: n/a
jim

"Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r-d-@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-kwrote in message
news:f6**********@south.jnrs.ja.net...
jim wrote:
>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
forms.

They can probably /have/ them, but work on the assumption that no-one will
ever be able to get to /see/ them.

The ability for Services to "interact with the desktop", i.e. to display
forms and dialogs, is going to /disappear/ in future versions of Windows
(if it hasn't already, with Vista).
How will the services be administered if they can no longer interact with
the desktop?
Jul 9 '07 #24

P: n/a
Keep in mind that this is not the service that provides those administration
UIs. The UI is provided by a control panel application or perhaps the MMC
console etc... It doesn't prevent a UI to interact with services. It just
prevent services to "embed" a UI they would need to display on the desktopas
part of their life cycle...

--
Patrice

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.edua écrit dans le message de news:
RV******************@bignews7.bellsouth.net...
>
"Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r-d-@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-kwrote in message
news:f6**********@south.jnrs.ja.net...
>jim wrote:
>>I thought that I read somewhere that services don't (or can't) have
forms.

They can probably /have/ them, but work on the assumption that no-one
will ever be able to get to /see/ them.

The ability for Services to "interact with the desktop", i.e. to display
forms and dialogs, is going to /disappear/ in future versions of Windows
(if it hasn't already, with Vista).

How will the services be administered if they can no longer interact with
the desktop?


Jul 9 '07 #25

P: n/a

"jim" <ji*@yourpc.eduwrote in message
news:RV******************@bignews7.bellsouth.net.. .
>The ability for Services to "interact with the desktop", i.e. to display
forms and dialogs, is going to /disappear/ in future versions of Windows
(if it hasn't already, with Vista).

How will the services be administered if they can no longer interact with
the desktop?
How will the admin screen work if the service starts before a user is logged
in?

At the simplest level, you can have a seperate admin program that saves all
the required settings into the registry, then offer to restart the service.
The service will pick up the changes as required. (don't even need to
restart it if it reads the settings at each operation)

Jul 9 '07 #26

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.