By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
425,666 Members | 1,784 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 425,666 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

best way to learn Windows Forms

P: n/a
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
18 Replies


P: n/a
The big difference is .Net is truly object oriented, and you have to get
used to dealing with classes. The difference appears bigger than it is when
first starting. You have to create an instance of your form first, and then
call the methods on that instance.

Example: if you have a form called HelloWorld.vb --- (note the difference in
extension) you would first create an "instance" of the form by something
such as:
dim f as new HelloWorld

Then to show the form, you would use
f.show

Modality is a bit different also -- try out
f.showdialog

Then other things work more like your used to than you think they might
be -- examples:
f.close
f.hide
etc.

Of course there are many other differences in .Net vs VB6, but if your like
me, after you've worked with it for a while, you'll find the .Net world a
much more orderly and comfortable one.

HTH
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #2

P: n/a
Check out Tim Patrick's book, Start-to-Finish Visual Basic 2005.
By working through it, you build an entire application, so it
covers all the basics, from building forms to data access.

Robin S.
-----------------------------
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #3

P: n/a
I just don't need the basics; I need more advanced stuff
I can build console apps like the back of my hand
and declaring forms before instantiating them? isn't that standard vb6
and even vba?

even in Access Dim frm as new Form_Switchboard right?

i just-- the big picture-- a single book or 10 single books isnt going
to do this for me.

Are there good windows form websites?
Best practices, extensibility?

I just don't understand why forms are such a complex beast; under what
situations do you change the source code for the form?
-Charlie
RobinS wrote:
Check out Tim Patrick's book, Start-to-Finish Visual Basic 2005.
By working through it, you build an entire application, so it
covers all the basics, from building forms to data access.

Robin S.
-----------------------------
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 2 '06 #4

P: n/a
Jello,

There were more programmers already for many years who wrote the same as
you. They started and after a while most were sending messages like: "They
have to pull me back on my hairs to VB6".

You can use this newsgroup to help you. There is always somebody who is
starting like you who likes it to help, while you even can help yourself
others and learn in that way.

Don't be afraid with the answers. If they are wrong there is certainly
somebody in this newsgroup who will help to get them correct.

I hope this gives an idea,

Cor

<je*********@hotmail.comschreef in bericht
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #5

P: n/a
If you want to know more about using forms, post a specific
question, not a general "tell me about Windows forms". There
is enough information about forms to fill a thousand-page book.

Robin S.
------------------------------------------
"Jello World" <je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@79g2000cws.googlegro ups.com...
>I just don't need the basics; I need more advanced stuff
I can build console apps like the back of my hand
and declaring forms before instantiating them? isn't that standard vb6
and even vba?

even in Access Dim frm as new Form_Switchboard right?

i just-- the big picture-- a single book or 10 single books isnt going
to do this for me.

Are there good windows form websites?
Best practices, extensibility?

I just don't understand why forms are such a complex beast; under what
situations do you change the source code for the form?
-Charlie
RobinS wrote:
>Check out Tim Patrick's book, Start-to-Finish Visual Basic 2005.
By working through it, you build an entire application, so it
covers all the basics, from building forms to data access.

Robin S.
-----------------------------
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegr oups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #6

P: n/a
I never had so manny problems with switching to VB.Net ,,,, it is just a
mather of buying the right books ( and playing with the at that time beta
versions of VB.Net )

I used the programming microsoft visual basic book from balena , ( wich has
special attention to VB6 proggers ) i never found a really good VB.Net
Winforms Book so in the end i bought a C# book ( wich is a surprising
easy language if you already have understanding of javascript and the .Net
framework )
>and you have to get used to dealing with classes
I also used classes in VB6

regards

Michel posseth [MCP]
"Matt Fielder" <mf****************@nospam.nospamschreef in bericht
news:eE**************@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
The big difference is .Net is truly object oriented, and you have to get
used to dealing with classes. The difference appears bigger than it is
when first starting. You have to create an instance of your form first,
and then call the methods on that instance.

Example: if you have a form called HelloWorld.vb --- (note the difference
in extension) you would first create an "instance" of the form by
something such as:
dim f as new HelloWorld

Then to show the form, you would use
f.show

Modality is a bit different also -- try out
f.showdialog

Then other things work more like your used to than you think they might
be -- examples:
f.close
f.hide
etc.

Of course there are many other differences in .Net vs VB6, but if your
like me, after you've worked with it for a while, you'll find the .Net
world a much more orderly and comfortable one.

HTH
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie


Dec 2 '06 #7

P: n/a
If you don't mind doing it in C# instead of VB, take a look at "Windows
Forms Programming in C#" by Chris Sells, Addison-Wesley publishers.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie

Dec 2 '06 #8

P: n/a
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to change
THIS MUCH

it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'

Why is this OOP so important?
is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?

What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?

I just want simple Windows Forms apps.. what is 'Microsoft Forms
Server' is that going to make this easier?

There has to be some relief; building Windows Forms app in VC++ 6.0 is
easier than in VB.net 7.0, 7.1 or 8.0

-Charlie

Tom Dacon wrote:
If you don't mind doing it in C# instead of VB, take a look at "Windows
Forms Programming in C#" by Chris Sells, Addison-Wesley publishers.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 4 '06 #9

P: n/a
and for the record??

I still write VB6 to this day; I always have and I always will.

it's called Access forms... and i'll never stop doing this until 'real
vb' is practical compared to MS Access
-Charlie

Cor Ligthert [MVP] wrote:
Jello,

There were more programmers already for many years who wrote the same as
you. They started and after a while most were sending messages like: "They
have to pull me back on my hairs to VB6".

You can use this newsgroup to help you. There is always somebody who is
starting like you who likes it to help, while you even can help yourself
others and learn in that way.

Don't be afraid with the answers. If they are wrong there is certainly
somebody in this newsgroup who will help to get them correct.

I hope this gives an idea,

Cor

<je*********@hotmail.comschreef in bericht
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 4 '06 #10

P: n/a
ROFL.. C#

as-if

-Charlie
Tom Dacon wrote:
If you don't mind doing it in C# instead of VB, take a look at "Windows
Forms Programming in C#" by Chris Sells, Addison-Wesley publishers.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 4 '06 #11

P: n/a
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2065392,00.asp

According to Evans Data's Fall 2006 North American Development Survey,
overall, developer use of the Visual Basic family has dropped off by 35
percent since last spring.

Moreover, Evans said, "As expected, developers are finally leaving VB6
and earlier versions; they're also leaving VB.NET; which is down by 26
percent. This means Java now holds the market penetration lead at 45
percent, followed by C/C++ at 40 percent, and C# at 32 percent."


Jello World wrote:
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to change
THIS MUCH

it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'

Why is this OOP so important?
is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?

What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?

I just want simple Windows Forms apps.. what is 'Microsoft Forms
Server' is that going to make this easier?

There has to be some relief; building Windows Forms app in VC++ 6.0 is
easier than in VB.net 7.0, 7.1 or 8.0

-Charlie

Tom Dacon wrote:
If you don't mind doing it in C# instead of VB, take a look at "Windows
Forms Programming in C#" by Chris Sells, Addison-Wesley publishers.

Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
>I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.
>
Thanks
>
-Charlie
>
Dec 4 '06 #12

P: n/a
Jello World wrote:
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to change
THIS MUCH
Because Our Friends in Redmond said so ... :-(
it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'
"Visual Basic" is /might/ be, "VB" it /ain't/.
Why is this OOP so important?
It's no Panacea. You can /still/ write the same, monolithic slabs of
code that I .. er .. we used to. You might have to use different
classes to do anything useful, though. You probably did before, but
just didn't realise it; Forms have /always/ been Classes.

Try it - you might like it.
is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?
Not to me.
What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?
An awful lot of them, I'd guess.
I just want simple Windows Forms apps..
What's so difficult? You create a new Forms application and start
chucking stuff around in the Designer. OK, the code it generates is
/different/ from VB "Proper" and you haven't got Control Arrays any more
(until you realise the difference between Control Arrays and Arrays of
Controls), but I would argue that creating a simple form isn't /that/
much more difficult than it used to be.
what is 'Microsoft Forms Server' is that going to make this easier?
Not a clue.

Regards,
Phill W.
Dec 6 '06 #13

P: n/a
I just really have a problem keeping it in scope.

it's a totally different beast; and i'd rather just stick with VB6

until Microsoft starts talking about VB with a TEN YEAR ROADPLAN; who
knows what we should learn and what isnt worth it.

MS has been backtracking on the DAO / ADO thing; and I just flat out
won't invest in MS tech because I don't see stability in this career
track.

I just see VB 2005 as a beta still.

WHEN IS THE SERVICE PACK COMING OUT?

-Charlie


Phill W. wrote:
Jello World wrote:
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to change
THIS MUCH

Because Our Friends in Redmond said so ... :-(
it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'

"Visual Basic" is /might/ be, "VB" it /ain't/.
Why is this OOP so important?

It's no Panacea. You can /still/ write the same, monolithic slabs of
code that I .. er .. we used to. You might have to use different
classes to do anything useful, though. You probably did before, but
just didn't realise it; Forms have /always/ been Classes.

Try it - you might like it.
is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?

Not to me.
What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?

An awful lot of them, I'd guess.
I just want simple Windows Forms apps..

What's so difficult? You create a new Forms application and start
chucking stuff around in the Designer. OK, the code it generates is
/different/ from VB "Proper" and you haven't got Control Arrays any more
(until you realise the difference between Control Arrays and Arrays of
Controls), but I would argue that creating a simple form isn't /that/
much more difficult than it used to be.
what is 'Microsoft Forms Server' is that going to make this easier?

Not a clue.

Regards,
Phill W.
Dec 6 '06 #14

P: n/a
dude just move on.. VB is a dying language

-Aaron
Jello World wrote:
I just really have a problem keeping it in scope.

it's a totally different beast; and i'd rather just stick with VB6

until Microsoft starts talking about VB with a TEN YEAR ROADPLAN; who
knows what we should learn and what isnt worth it.

MS has been backtracking on the DAO / ADO thing; and I just flat out
won't invest in MS tech because I don't see stability in this career
track.

I just see VB 2005 as a beta still.

WHEN IS THE SERVICE PACK COMING OUT?

-Charlie


Phill W. wrote:
Jello World wrote:
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to change
THIS MUCH
Because Our Friends in Redmond said so ... :-(
it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'
"Visual Basic" is /might/ be, "VB" it /ain't/.
Why is this OOP so important?
It's no Panacea. You can /still/ write the same, monolithic slabs of
code that I .. er .. we used to. You might have to use different
classes to do anything useful, though. You probably did before, but
just didn't realise it; Forms have /always/ been Classes.

Try it - you might like it.
is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?
Not to me.
What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?
An awful lot of them, I'd guess.
I just want simple Windows Forms apps..
What's so difficult? You create a new Forms application and start
chucking stuff around in the Designer. OK, the code it generates is
/different/ from VB "Proper" and you haven't got Control Arrays any more
(until you realise the difference between Control Arrays and Arrays of
Controls), but I would argue that creating a simple form isn't /that/
much more difficult than it used to be.
what is 'Microsoft Forms Server' is that going to make this easier?
Not a clue.

Regards,
Phill W.
Dec 6 '06 #15

P: n/a
You're talking to yourself again, Jello boy.

Robin S.
---------------------
<aa*********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@l12g2000cwl.googlegr oups.com...
dude just move on.. VB is a dying language

-Aaron
Jello World wrote:
>I just really have a problem keeping it in scope.

it's a totally different beast; and i'd rather just stick with VB6

until Microsoft starts talking about VB with a TEN YEAR ROADPLAN; who
knows what we should learn and what isnt worth it.

MS has been backtracking on the DAO / ADO thing; and I just flat out
won't invest in MS tech because I don't see stability in this career
track.

I just see VB 2005 as a beta still.

WHEN IS THE SERVICE PACK COMING OUT?

-Charlie


Phill W. wrote:
Jello World wrote:
it's just incredibly hard; I don't understand why things had to
change
THIS MUCH

Because Our Friends in Redmond said so ... :-(

it's just no longer 'Visual Basic'

"Visual Basic" is /might/ be, "VB" it /ain't/.

Why is this OOP so important?

It's no Panacea. You can /still/ write the same, monolithic slabs of
code that I .. er .. we used to. You might have to use different
classes to do anything useful, though. You probably did before, but
just didn't realise it; Forms have /always/ been Classes.

Try it - you might like it.

is Web Development _REALLY_ that important?

Not to me.

What percentage of VB people develop Windows Forms Apps?

An awful lot of them, I'd guess.

I just want simple Windows Forms apps..

What's so difficult? You create a new Forms application and start
chucking stuff around in the Designer. OK, the code it generates is
/different/ from VB "Proper" and you haven't got Control Arrays any
more
(until you realise the difference between Control Arrays and Arrays of
Controls), but I would argue that creating a simple form isn't /that/
much more difficult than it used to be.

what is 'Microsoft Forms Server' is that going to make this easier?

Not a clue.

Regards,
Phill W.

Dec 6 '06 #16

P: n/a
wasnt vb6 'truly object oriented' enough?

I've read statistics that 75% of vb6 developers never used a class; so
why do they make this shit 10 times more complex; SLOWER DURING
DEVELOPMENT AND EXECUTION.

yeah your stupid programming teacher from college might have claimed
that OOP was a worthy goal.

but I htink that it's a total pain in the ass and slower; more complex
and unnecessary

Maybe I just dont make my software 'complex enough' to need classes.
but as it is; classes make development SLOWER and execution SLOWER.
and VB6 already had enough classes for me.

-Aaron
Matt Fielder wrote:
The big difference is .Net is truly object oriented, and you have to get
used to dealing with classes. The difference appears bigger than it is when
first starting. You have to create an instance of your form first, and then
call the methods on that instance.

Example: if you have a form called HelloWorld.vb --- (note the difference in
extension) you would first create an "instance" of the form by something
such as:
dim f as new HelloWorld

Then to show the form, you would use
f.show

Modality is a bit different also -- try out
f.showdialog

Then other things work more like your used to than you think they might
be -- examples:
f.close
f.hide
etc.

Of course there are many other differences in .Net vs VB6, but if your like
me, after you've worked with it for a while, you'll find the .Net world a
much more orderly and comfortable one.

HTH
<je*********@hotmail.comwrote in message
news:11**********************@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 7 '06 #17

P: n/a
- Dont bother
- Don't put yourself through the pain.
- Dont waste your time.

-- VB 6.0 was a great language.
-- VB.NET is slow to learn, slow to develop with and slow to run.

People will give you the normal bullshit about OOP (big fucking deal).
Don't be sucked in by the propaganda. I have been forced to use VB.NET
/ ASP.NET for the last 3 years and I can promise you that you will not
like it.

- OVERCOMPLICATED
- CHANGES EVERY 2 FUCKING MINUTES
- NEED TO WRITE MORE CODE THAN EVER BEFORE

Save yourself the aggrivation.

The Grand Master
je*********@hotmail.com wrote:
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 7 '06 #18

P: n/a
I fully agree.

Especially with this:
-- VB.NET is slow to learn, slow to develop with and slow to run.
and this:
NEED TO WRITE MORE CODE THAN EVER BEFORE
MS doesn't need to come out with a new version of VB.net three times in
three years.

They just need to go back to basics.

And mixing OOP and a bunch of XML crap doesn't make our life easier.

VB against SQL Server.
Anything else is a distraction.

-Aaron


Master Programmer wrote:
- Dont bother
- Don't put yourself through the pain.
- Dont waste your time.

-- VB 6.0 was a great language.
-- VB.NET is slow to learn, slow to develop with and slow to run.

People will give you the normal bullshit about OOP (big fucking deal).
Don't be sucked in by the propaganda. I have been forced to use VB.NET
/ ASP.NET for the last 3 years and I can promise you that you will not
like it.

- OVERCOMPLICATED
- CHANGES EVERY 2 FUCKING MINUTES
- NEED TO WRITE MORE CODE THAN EVER BEFORE

Save yourself the aggrivation.

The Grand Master
je*********@hotmail.com wrote:
I am a VB6 programmer and I know how to build console apps.. I just
dont understand how to get my mind around WinForms; they just seem a
lot more complex than VB6.

Thanks

-Charlie
Dec 7 '06 #19

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.