By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
444,239 Members | 1,505 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 444,239 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

MapPoint ImportData ?

P: n/a
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out why I am suddenly having an issue with the
MapPoint ImportData method. I'm currently importing a tab delimited
file (it was working in the previous version of my program) and for
some reason the method is now giving me the following error...

"No matching method defined for these fields"

I re-ran the previous version of the program and the pushpin map is
still working, no errors are being thrown. So I tried the following...

1)I stopped the current version of my program right before the
ImportData method is called

2)I renamed the import file about to be imported to filename.old and
then took the import file that was created by the old version of the
program (the one that opened up a pushpin map without any errors) and
gave it the name of the file I just renamed to filename.old.

3)I hit F5 to continue the program and the map displayed without any
errors pushpins and all.

Sooo this led me to think the file that causes errors has some
formatting issues. So I tried this next.

1)I stopped my program right before the ImportData method is called

2)I opened the import file that causes problems and the import file
that works and copied the data from the working file to the file that
causes errors. Basically CTRL + A... CTRL + C... CTRL + A... CTRL + V
and presto working data overwrited non-working data.

3)I hit F5 and the "No matching method..." error was thrown.

Now I find this odd because when I renamed the working import file to
the same name as the error import file the map and pushpins showed up
fine but when I replaced the data in the error import file with the
data from the working import file I still get an error.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did I explain this well enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike Gorgone
m_*******@hotmail.com

Nov 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies


P: n/a
Hi,

No idea. I don't use this function. However, you may get an answer in the
microsoft.public.mappoint newsgroup.

One thing that you will need to do is to include a code fragment that
duplicates the problem. Simply stating that you have a problem with a
function isn't sufficient.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th
Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. See
www.mabry.com/vbpgser4 to order.
Nov 21 '05 #2

P: n/a
Hi Dick,

I think I've narrowed it down. It appears that a backend class written
by our controls department may have changed how it creates the tab
delimited file. If I open the old input file in Ultra Edit the file
looks fine but if I open the new file it opens it in Hex and if I turn
off the Hex view the file looks kind of screwy (weird because if you
open them both in Notepad they look fine). I'm going to have to find
out if they've changed anything.

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Nov 21 '05 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.