By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
457,722 Members | 1,276 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 457,722 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Why program in C#?

P: n/a
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C# that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett
Nov 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
35 Replies


P: n/a
For 99.9% of all applications, it is strictly a matter of preference.
I prefer C#. There is a "perception" that C# developers have a
higher skill level. You may find getting a new job easier if
you do most of your development in C#.

--
2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris
http://www.robbemorris.com
http://www.masterado.net/home/listings.aspx

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background.
Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the
.NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #2

P: n/a
This has been an ongoing question since .NET first came out. It all boils
down to your preference and skill set. The performance and capabilities of
the 2 languages are essentially the same. Sure, there are a few things that
VB.NET does that C# doesn't and vice versa, but these are trivial. They
both share the same IL, the same CLR and the same base class library.
"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background.
Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the
.NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #3

P: n/a
Theres a good article here:
http://codebetter.com/blogs/darrell....07/07/382.aspx

Bottom line is that both VB.NET & C# funnel down to the CLR, so there
is no real difference other than what you like to write. They both
have access to all the same .NET framework. So yer answer is really a
matter of language prefrence.

Norst

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:42:49 -0400, "Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote:
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C# that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #4

P: n/a
I think the people that have that perception ARE C# developers. Getting a
job programming in VB .NET could be just as easy if not easier that
programming in C#. It all depends on the "shop" you are interviewing with.
"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <in**@turnkeytools.com> wrote in message
news:uL**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
For 99.9% of all applications, it is strictly a matter of preference.
I prefer C#. There is a "perception" that C# developers have a
higher skill level. You may find getting a new job easier if
you do most of your development in C#.

--
2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris
http://www.robbemorris.com
http://www.masterado.net/home/listings.aspx

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background.
Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the
.NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/.
Not sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an
updated version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett


Nov 21 '05 #5

P: n/a
Scott,
I think the people that have that perception ARE C# developers. Getting a
job programming in VB .NET could be just as easy if not easier that
programming in C#. It all depends on the "shop" you are interviewing with.


Nice short and to the point answer,

:-)

Cor
Nov 21 '05 #6

P: n/a
This also includes a download link to a white paper on the subject

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q308470

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background.
Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the
.NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #7

P: n/a
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp

And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're language
and that is so easy to learn .

C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell you
that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god i
love the framework :-)
just because in some situations there are examples available in C# that are
not available in VB.NET or vice versa

Learn C# if you are going or already work for a Boss who thinks that C++
, JAVA and DELPHI is the real thing , and VB just Childs play .

Learn VB.NET

1. if you want to code in a fraction of the time to accomplish the same
thing
2. if you want to code in a language with the biggest community
3. if you want to code in a language that is easy to learn
4. if you want to code in a language with a huge history ( witch can also be
explained as a disadvantage , however i see this as a big advantage )

etc etc etc etc

On the real programming side i can name so many things that VB can and C#
can`t , however honestly needs me to say that i can also name things that
C# can and VB can`t
( however there is always a workaround for these problems for both VB and
C# )
In the end it is just your own feeling with the language as i started
programming Basic from thirteen years of age ( i am now 31 ) so VB will
always be my "home" language however if you are a starting programmer with
a academic background C# might be more "home" for you .

to be more specific lets take the OO keywords

a.. C# has virtual, VB has Overrideable
b.. C# has static, VB has Shared
c.. C# has abstract, VB has MustInherit
C# uses actual academic OO terms as keywords while VB uses the "friendly"
normal english definition as keywords

And here comes the frustration :-) if you are a starting programmer
without a Academic background , but with good knowledge of the English
language ( before anyone starts to review this story an points me to the
mistakes i might have made , I am not a Native English speaker !! , before
you criticize lets have this discussion in Dutch, my native tongue and see
where you go :-)
VB is much easier to learn , once you know VB.Net and see the light (
learn the counterparts of the keywords in C# Vs VB put behind every line a
; , learning some JavaScript will give you a boost for sure ) and
understand that it is one framework you program to ( so how can one
language me more powerful as the other ?? ) you will see that making the
switch to C# is not such a big step
just my 2 cents ( dollar cents as they are cheaper as they're euro
brothers :-)

Happy coding :-)

Michel Posseth [MCP]


"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET languages?
Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C# that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/. Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #8

P: n/a
The article you provided a link to in my humble opinion does little to help
make the choice, it is more subjective than one would have liked. To add to
this, the author was offesnive to VB programmers without any real source of
the statistics he used to make his claims.

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp

And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is
as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
language
and that is so easy to learn .

C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell you
that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god i
love the framework :-)
just because in some situations there are examples available in C# that
are
not available in VB.NET or vice versa

Learn C# if you are going or already work for a Boss who thinks that
C++
, JAVA and DELPHI is the real thing , and VB just Childs play .

Learn VB.NET

1. if you want to code in a fraction of the time to accomplish the same
thing
2. if you want to code in a language with the biggest community
3. if you want to code in a language that is easy to learn
4. if you want to code in a language with a huge history ( witch can also
be
explained as a disadvantage , however i see this as a big advantage )

etc etc etc etc

On the real programming side i can name so many things that VB can and C#
can`t , however honestly needs me to say that i can also name things
that
C# can and VB can`t
( however there is always a workaround for these problems for both VB and
C# )
In the end it is just your own feeling with the language as i started
programming Basic from thirteen years of age ( i am now 31 ) so VB will
always be my "home" language however if you are a starting programmer
with
a academic background C# might be more "home" for you .

to be more specific lets take the OO keywords

a.. C# has virtual, VB has Overrideable
b.. C# has static, VB has Shared
c.. C# has abstract, VB has MustInherit
C# uses actual academic OO terms as keywords while VB uses the
"friendly"
normal english definition as keywords

And here comes the frustration :-) if you are a starting programmer
without a Academic background , but with good knowledge of the English
language ( before anyone starts to review this story an points me to the
mistakes i might have made , I am not a Native English speaker !! ,
before
you criticize lets have this discussion in Dutch, my native tongue and
see
where you go :-)
VB is much easier to learn , once you know VB.Net and see the light (
learn the counterparts of the keywords in C# Vs VB put behind every line
a
; , learning some JavaScript will give you a boost for sure ) and
understand that it is one framework you program to ( so how can one
language me more powerful as the other ?? ) you will see that making the
switch to C# is not such a big step
just my 2 cents ( dollar cents as they are cheaper as they're euro
brothers :-)

Happy coding :-)

Michel Posseth [MCP]


"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice

versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider

if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET

languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#

that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/.
Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated
version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett


Nov 21 '05 #9

P: n/a
Michel,

There are a lot of Dutch speaking people active in these dotNet newsgroups.

And before somebody not Dutch or Scandinavian speaking thinks "why not in
Dutch newsgroups?

Because we are used to read most of all our documentation in English and
often have troubles when that is in Dutch.

Cor
Nov 21 '05 #10

P: n/a
"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <in**@turnkeytools.com> schrieb:
For 99.9% of all applications, it is strictly a matter of preference.
I prefer C#. There is a "perception" that C# developers have a
higher skill level. You may find getting a new job easier if
you do most of your development in C#.


I think you have the best chances to get a job if you don't restrict
yourself to one of both programming languages only.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #11

P: n/a
"Scott M." <s-***@nospam.nospam> schrieb:
I think the people that have that perception ARE C# developers. Getting a
job programming in VB .NET could be just as easy if not easier that
programming in C#. It all depends on the "shop" you are interviewing with.


Well put.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #12

P: n/a

Well even better

I have everything on my computer installed in English

English Windows , English development IDE etc etc

The English documentation is much better ( so many translation errors in
Dutch documentation ) and also not to be underestimated Service packs for
English versions are much sooner released


"Cor Ligthert" <no************@planet.nl> wrote in message
news:u2***************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Michel,

There are a lot of Dutch speaking people active in these dotNet newsgroups.
And before somebody not Dutch or Scandinavian speaking thinks "why not in
Dutch newsgroups?

Because we are used to read most of all our documentation in English and
often have troubles when that is in Dutch.

Cor

Nov 21 '05 #13

P: n/a

Well ofcourse it doesn`t , it made me angry ,, that is why i spend so much
lines in my response :-) but it does reflect how most C# programmers think
(" they use the reall thing ")
that is why i provided the link ...

regards
Michel Posseth

"OHM ( Terry Burns )" <me@mine.com> wrote in message
news:eZ**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The article you provided a link to in my humble opinion does little to help make the choice, it is more subjective than one would have liked. To add to this, the author was offesnive to VB programmers without any real source of the statistics he used to make his claims.

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp

And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is
as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
language
and that is so easy to learn .

C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell you
that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god i
love the framework :-)
just because in some situations there are examples available in C# that
are
not available in VB.NET or vice versa

Learn C# if you are going or already work for a Boss who thinks that
C++
, JAVA and DELPHI is the real thing , and VB just Childs play .

Learn VB.NET

1. if you want to code in a fraction of the time to accomplish the same
thing
2. if you want to code in a language with the biggest community
3. if you want to code in a language that is easy to learn
4. if you want to code in a language with a huge history ( witch can also be
explained as a disadvantage , however i see this as a big advantage )

etc etc etc etc

On the real programming side i can name so many things that VB can and C# can`t , however honestly needs me to say that i can also name things
that
C# can and VB can`t
( however there is always a workaround for these problems for both VB and C# )
In the end it is just your own feeling with the language as i started
programming Basic from thirteen years of age ( i am now 31 ) so VB will always be my "home" language however if you are a starting programmer
with
a academic background C# might be more "home" for you .

to be more specific lets take the OO keywords

a.. C# has virtual, VB has Overrideable
b.. C# has static, VB has Shared
c.. C# has abstract, VB has MustInherit
C# uses actual academic OO terms as keywords while VB uses the
"friendly"
normal english definition as keywords

And here comes the frustration :-) if you are a starting programmer
without a Academic background , but with good knowledge of the English
language ( before anyone starts to review this story an points me to the
mistakes i might have made , I am not a Native English speaker !! ,
before
you criticize lets have this discussion in Dutch, my native tongue and
see
where you go :-)
VB is much easier to learn , once you know VB.Net and see the light (
learn the counterparts of the keywords in C# Vs VB put behind every line a
; , learning some JavaScript will give you a boost for sure ) and
understand that it is one framework you program to ( so how can one
language me more powerful as the other ?? ) you will see that making the
switch to C# is not such a big step
just my 2 cents ( dollar cents as they are cheaper as they're euro
brothers :-)

Happy coding :-)

Michel Posseth [MCP]


"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice

versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider
if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET

languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#

that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

You may find this interesting:
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/.
Not
sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an

updated version or reference?

Thanks,
Brett



Nov 21 '05 #14

P: n/a
In my experience, most .NET developers 'Think' in either C# or VB.NET,
switching between the two usually means you stumble on the syntax. Its a bit
like switching between Spanish and English, if English is your native
language and you speak it most of the time, this is the one you will have
least errors in.

Having said that, after a few days, the syntax seems to slot in of most of
the time, but it can still catch you out sometimes.

One of the things that hacks me off about the use of C# is that because its
case dependent, this causes portability problems if coders use the
sensitivity to discriminate between identifiers which when translated to VB
cause multiple definitions. Like 'text' and 'Text'.

From a translation point of view, I usually code in VB first and then
translate it to C#

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:u%***************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <in**@turnkeytools.com> schrieb:
For 99.9% of all applications, it is strictly a matter of preference.
I prefer C#. There is a "perception" that C# developers have a
higher skill level. You may find getting a new job easier if
you do most of your development in C#.


I think you have the best chances to get a job if you don't restrict
yourself to one of both programming languages only.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #15

P: n/a
"Brett" <no@spam.net> schrieb:
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa? Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background.
Consider if you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the
.NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

I don't think it's possible to answer the question from a technical
standpoint without analyzing syntax differences of the two programming
languages.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #16

P: n/a
It's an interesting point though that quoting statistics can make an article
seem academically robust. However, quoting stats which have numbers with no
decimal point or that sit on a decimal boundary like 80% are often seen as
suspicious. If the author really wanted to convince people with false stats
he should have used anumber like 77.3% and quoted a fictitious source like
'Barns & Stirrup Marketing PLC'

I take your point regarding the way C# programmers might think, but you say
most, yet this is only one author. In the business I am in, I meet a lot of
developers who sit in the VB.NET and the C# camps, and some in both. Some
things in C# are simply a little slicker than the current encarnation of
VB.NET from a coding point of view even though the final code is MSIL and
conversly, VB.NET is easier to use in other areas. Both C# and VB.NET will
get the Job done one way or another, its mainly a case of choice.

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...

Well ofcourse it doesn`t , it made me angry ,, that is why i spend so
much
lines in my response :-) but it does reflect how most C# programmers
think
(" they use the reall thing ")
that is why i provided the link ...

regards
Michel Posseth

"OHM ( Terry Burns )" <me@mine.com> wrote in message
news:eZ**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The article you provided a link to in my humble opinion does little to

help
make the choice, it is more subjective than one would have liked. To add

to
this, the author was offesnive to VB programmers without any real source

of
the statistics he used to make his claims.

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
> This is Cool
>
> I just read an article on the codeproject website
>
> see this :
> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp
>
> And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and
> DELPHI
> programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!
>
> They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that
> is
> as
> powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
> language
> and that is so easy to learn .
>
> C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell
> you
> that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god
> i
> love the framework :-)
> just because in some situations there are examples available in C# that
> are
> not available in VB.NET or vice versa
>
> Learn C# if you are going or already work for a Boss who thinks that
> C++
> , JAVA and DELPHI is the real thing , and VB just Childs play .
>
> Learn VB.NET
>
> 1. if you want to code in a fraction of the time to accomplish the same
> thing
> 2. if you want to code in a language with the biggest community
> 3. if you want to code in a language that is easy to learn
> 4. if you want to code in a language with a huge history ( witch can also > be
> explained as a disadvantage , however i see this as a big advantage )
>
> etc etc etc etc
>
> On the real programming side i can name so many things that VB can and C# > can`t , however honestly needs me to say that i can also name things
> that
> C# can and VB can`t
> ( however there is always a workaround for these problems for both VB and > C# )
>
>
> In the end it is just your own feeling with the language as i started
> programming Basic from thirteen years of age ( i am now 31 ) so VB will > always be my "home" language however if you are a starting programmer
> with
> a academic background C# might be more "home" for you .
>
> to be more specific lets take the OO keywords
>
> a.. C# has virtual, VB has Overrideable
> b.. C# has static, VB has Shared
> c.. C# has abstract, VB has MustInherit
> C# uses actual academic OO terms as keywords while VB uses the
> "friendly"
> normal english definition as keywords
>
> And here comes the frustration :-) if you are a starting programmer
> without a Academic background , but with good knowledge of the English
> language ( before anyone starts to review this story an points me to
> the
> mistakes i might have made , I am not a Native English speaker !! ,
> before
> you criticize lets have this discussion in Dutch, my native tongue
> and
> see
> where you go :-)
> VB is much easier to learn , once you know VB.Net and see the light (
> learn the counterparts of the keywords in C# Vs VB put behind every line > a
> ; , learning some JavaScript will give you a boost for sure ) and
> understand that it is one framework you program to ( so how can one
> language me more powerful as the other ?? ) you will see that making
> the
> switch to C# is not such a big step
>
>
> just my 2 cents ( dollar cents as they are cheaper as they're euro
> brothers :-)
>
> Happy coding :-)
>
> Michel Posseth [MCP]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> news:Op*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
> versa?
>> Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider > if
>> you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET
> languages?
>>
>> Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
> that
>> I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.
>>
>> You may find this interesting:
>> http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2003_06.../salarysurvey/.
>> Not
>> sure if it is still valid given the date. Does some one have an updated >> version or reference?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brett
>>
>>
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #17

P: n/a
As I understand it, with VB.net 2005, you will have generics and multiple
inheritance in VB. Are there any other advantages of C++ left to include in
VB.Net other than compiling of standalone programs?

That said, I wonder why M'soft even started C# except for people who just
like the ;

"M. Posseth" wrote:

Well even better

I have everything on my computer installed in English

English Windows , English development IDE etc etc

The English documentation is much better ( so many translation errors in
Dutch documentation ) and also not to be underestimated Service packs for
English versions are much sooner released


"Cor Ligthert" <no************@planet.nl> wrote in message
news:u2***************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Michel,

There are a lot of Dutch speaking people active in these dotNet

newsgroups.

And before somebody not Dutch or Scandinavian speaking thinks "why not in
Dutch newsgroups?

Because we are used to read most of all our documentation in English and
often have troubles when that is in Dutch.

Cor


Nov 21 '05 #18

P: n/a
Terry,

"OHM ( Terry Burns )" <me@mine.com> schrieb:
This also includes a download link to a white paper on the subject

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q308470


Note that this document is related to the 2002 versions of VB.NET and VC#
and thus is slightly out of date. In addition to that, the document
contains some bugs.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #19

P: n/a

"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp

And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is
as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
language
and that is so easy to learn .

C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell you
that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god i
love the framework :-)


This is interesting and I always wondered about it. Do you have any
examples of how that is done?

Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?

Thanks,
Brett
Nov 21 '05 #20

P: n/a
"Dennis" <De****@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
As I understand it, with VB.net 2005, you will have generics and multiple
inheritance in VB.
There won't be support for multiple inheritance in VB 2005 and VC# 2005.
Are there any other advantages of C++ left to include in
VB.Net other than compiling of standalone programs?


Compiling "standalone programs" is only an advantage as long as the .NET
Framework is not installed on most users' computers. MI has its advantages
but also introduces disadvantages.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #21

P: n/a
True it is 'slightly' out of date, nevertheless, the majority of the
document is still useful to read.

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net

"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:OJ**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Terry,

"OHM ( Terry Burns )" <me@mine.com> schrieb:
This also includes a download link to a white paper on the subject

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q308470


Note that this document is related to the 2002 versions of VB.NET and VC#
and thus is slightly out of date. In addition to that, the document
contains some bugs.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #22

P: n/a
"OHM ( Terry Burns )" <me@mine.com> schrieb:
True it is 'slightly' out of date, nevertheless, the majority of the
document is still useful to read.


Full ACK!

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>
Nov 21 '05 #23

P: n/a
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> schrieb:
I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp


[For those who understand German:]

I commented on the (technical) points raised in the article in German some
days ago:

<URL:http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=OqgqdipRFHA.2736%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gb l>

My resume: Most of the points are invalid and/or do not apply.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #24

P: n/a
> Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?

Yes but with a slight twist

in my solution i just add a new project wich might be another .Net language
i set a reference and set the build order now whenever i compile a new Dll
is placed
in the other project`s Bin directory

the hole project is still Xcopy deployable ( you do not have to worry about
registrations etc etc )

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:O0**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp

And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is
as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
language
and that is so easy to learn .

C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell you
that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god i
love the framework :-)


This is interesting and I always wondered about it. Do you have any
examples of how that is done?

Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?

Thanks,
Brett

Nov 21 '05 #25

P: n/a


It would be great to post it as a comment back to the codeproject website
wher the original article is published ( ofcourse then in English )

so if you have some spare time :-)
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> schrieb:
I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp
[For those who understand German:]

I commented on the (technical) points raised in the article in German some
days ago:

<URL:http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=...2MSFTNGP09.phx
..gbl>
My resume: Most of the points are invalid and/or do not apply.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #26

P: n/a
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> schrieb:
It would be great to post it as a comment back to the codeproject website
wher the original article is published ( ofcourse then in English )

so if you have some spare time :-)


At the moment I don't have much spare time :-/.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>
Nov 21 '05 #27

P: n/a
I see. So you might start a VB.NET solution and then just add a C# project
to it?
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?


Yes but with a slight twist

in my solution i just add a new project wich might be another .Net
language
i set a reference and set the build order now whenever i compile a new Dll
is placed
in the other project`s Bin directory

the hole project is still Xcopy deployable ( you do not have to worry
about
registrations etc etc )

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:O0**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
> This is Cool
>
> I just read an article on the codeproject website
>
> see this :
> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp
>
> And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and
> DELPHI
> programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!
>
> They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that
> is
> as
> powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
> language
> and that is so easy to learn .
>
> C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell
> you
> that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god
> i
> love the framework :-)


This is interesting and I always wondered about it. Do you have any
examples of how that is done?

Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?

Thanks,
Brett


Nov 21 '05 #28

P: n/a
Yes

and the nice thingy is that you can set the build order`s etc etc and it all
compiles in one run
and copies the dll`s to the right place ( if you set the depends options )

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Os**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
I see. So you might start a VB.NET solution and then just add a C# project to it?
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?


Yes but with a slight twist

in my solution i just add a new project wich might be another .Net
language
i set a reference and set the build order now whenever i compile a new Dll is placed
in the other project`s Bin directory

the hole project is still Xcopy deployable ( you do not have to worry
about
registrations etc etc )

"Brett" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
news:O0**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
> This is Cool
>
> I just read an article on the codeproject website
>
> see this :
> http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp
>
> And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and
> DELPHI
> programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!
>
> They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that
> is
> as
> powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
> language
> and that is so easy to learn .
>
> C# VS VB in my opinion as a programmer who uses both i can tell
> you
> that the difference is not so big , in my projects i mix both ( oh god > i
> love the framework :-)

This is interesting and I always wondered about it. Do you have any
examples of how that is done?

Are you just calling DLLs written in one language or the other?

Thanks,
Brett



Nov 21 '05 #29

P: n/a
"Brett" <no@spam.net> schrieb:
I see. So you might start a VB.NET solution and then just add a C# project
to it?


Solutions can contain projects in different programming languages, there are
no programming language-specific solutions. To answer your question: Yes,
you can simply add a VS.NET project written in another programming language
to your solution.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://classicvb.org/petition/>

Nov 21 '05 #30

P: n/a
"M. Posseth" <mi*****@nohausystems.nl> wrote in message
news:d4**********@reader08.wxs.nl...
This is Cool

I just read an article on the codeproject website

see this :
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/CSharpVersusVB.asp
The article is one person's opinion. The key word here is "opinion".
C#.NET and VB.NET are to me, for the most part, just different ways to
access similar functionality.
And I guess that the thoughts I always had about C++ , JAVA and DELPHI
programmers is really true They are frustrated !!!

They can`t stand it that there is a programming language ( VB ) that is
as
powerful (in the right perception even more powerful ) as they're
language
and that is so easy to learn .
As far as C++, Java, Delphi, etc., they all have their place; C++ is
available in managed form as well, so I doubt C++ programmers are losing
much sleep. AFAIK, Borland is either working on - or has already released -
a .NET version of Delphi. So the frustration level is probably not peaking
their either, since Delphi programmers have - or will have - the option of
programming for .NET using their preferred tool. And Java developer
frustration? Sounds more like you're channeling MS's entire marketing
department than speaking any actual facts. I haven't seen any statistics
showing "Java developer" frustration with .NET - although I have seen Java
and .NET developers going at each other's throats; usually about silly
hypertechnical crap that most of us couldn't care less about anyway.
1. if you want to code in a fraction of the time to accomplish the same
thing
This doesn't always apply. I find the syntax for C# Delegates to be more
intuitive and easier to use than the VB.NET version. It all depends on what
you're trying to do and what you feel comfortable with. I can program a
multithreaded app that takes advantage of asynchronous delegates in C# in
about 1/2 the time it takes me in VB.NET. Does all this mean C# is easier
than VB? Or does it just mean that I'm more comfortable with C#'s syntax in
this particular situation?
C# uses actual academic OO terms as keywords while VB uses the
"friendly"
normal english definition as keywords
As far as C#'s "academic OO terms"; C#'s syntax is deeply rooted in C-style
syntax, which is known for valuing compactness and efficiency over
readability. C#'s keywords are no more "academic" than any other language;
they just provide a different way to say the same thing. As you point out,
English is no more Academic or educated than Dutch, or any other language.

A lot of the "high-falutin'" feeling of superiority surrounding C-style
keywords is probably propagated by developers who use C-style languages more
than from any other source. "To-MAH-to" is no more 'academic' than
"To-MA-to"; it just makes some people feel better about themselves to claim
they say the former, and never the latter.
VB is much easier to learn...


This depends on your background. Coming from a C/C++ background, C# was
easier for me to learn; and I later picked up on VB.

Nov 21 '05 #31

P: n/a
Terry,
In my experience, most .NET developers 'Think' in either C# or VB.NET,
switching between the two usually means you stumble on the syntax. Its a
bit like switching between Spanish and English, if English is your native
language and you speak it most of the time, this is the one you will have
least errors in.
removed a part less important for my answer.
From a translation point of view, I usually code in VB first and then
translate it to C#


We don't agree. First your languages.

I can easily read Dutch, English and German

I can read French, however have a lot to guess, and need a dictionary for
real reading

I can speak easily Dutch and less easily English, however not that I have
any problem with it. As a side step, in past I had once late at night an
argument in English, with a porter in a London club. As a real Dutch I did
not want to pay the complete membership to enter. At a certain moment, he
was asking if I did not understand my mothers tongue. However, it is not
anymore like that. I assume that you can see for your eyes how it was,
before you misunderstand it, I was probably (that good I don't remember it
me anymore) at least a head taller than him and had probably arms twice as
thick.

I can communicate (speaking) very easily in the German language with German
people. I can communicate (speaking) easily (comparing with others) with
French and Polish people in their language. I could communicate in their
language with Italian people.

To explain something not necessary for this message, however otherwise you
get maybe a wrong idea, because you have read a lot from me. I have a brain
that works a little bit else than from most other people with writing.
Therefore, when I write serious I have to pay more attention to that. (When
it is important I mostly led it stay more hours and read it back, however
not in this newsgroup case, that is not important enough for me.)

To come back on your subject again, when I am speaking French and I have not
done it a while, than I am using Polish words. While when I am speaking
Polish, I am often using Italian words.

However in the last situations never English, German or Dutch words. Why,
that is because, when I am speaking, know the meaning of those English,
German and Dutch words.

Now back to your program languages. I never take another program language as
sample when I am writing in that. That would mean that I as well take the
bad things from those languages too the other languages and make it for
somebody, who does not know that programming language, afterwards difficult
to understand why I did it. You saw it today when somebody was asking about
how to use the "/n" in VBNet.

This would in my opinion led to a situation that there could be used the
ProperCase in C#. (What I forever remember me as the first message I saw
from you in this newsgroup) It is not a problem. However, bad to understand
for any C# programmer, who would have later to do maintenance on the
program.

By the way, when I write/speak English I think English, when I speak German,
I think German (not in the way as the stereotype German, before you
misunderstand). When I speak Polish (and especially when I have drunk a lot
of Vodka) I think Polish.

I thought let me write once a longer message.

Cor
Nov 21 '05 #32

P: n/a
;-)

--
OHM ( Terry Burns )

http://TrainingOn.net


"Cor Ligthert" <no************@planet.nl> wrote in message
news:e1*************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Terry,
In my experience, most .NET developers 'Think' in either C# or VB.NET,
switching between the two usually means you stumble on the syntax. Its a
bit like switching between Spanish and English, if English is your native
language and you speak it most of the time, this is the one you will have
least errors in.

removed a part less important for my answer.

From a translation point of view, I usually code in VB first and then
translate it to C#


We don't agree. First your languages.

I can easily read Dutch, English and German

I can read French, however have a lot to guess, and need a dictionary for
real reading

I can speak easily Dutch and less easily English, however not that I have
any problem with it. As a side step, in past I had once late at night an
argument in English, with a porter in a London club. As a real Dutch I did
not want to pay the complete membership to enter. At a certain moment, he
was asking if I did not understand my mothers tongue. However, it is not
anymore like that. I assume that you can see for your eyes how it was,
before you misunderstand it, I was probably (that good I don't remember it
me anymore) at least a head taller than him and had probably arms twice as
thick.

I can communicate (speaking) very easily in the German language with
German people. I can communicate (speaking) easily (comparing with others)
with French and Polish people in their language. I could communicate in
their language with Italian people.

To explain something not necessary for this message, however otherwise you
get maybe a wrong idea, because you have read a lot from me. I have a
brain that works a little bit else than from most other people with
writing. Therefore, when I write serious I have to pay more attention to
that. (When it is important I mostly led it stay more hours and read it
back, however not in this newsgroup case, that is not important enough for
me.)

To come back on your subject again, when I am speaking French and I have
not done it a while, than I am using Polish words. While when I am
speaking Polish, I am often using Italian words.

However in the last situations never English, German or Dutch words. Why,
that is because, when I am speaking, know the meaning of those English,
German and Dutch words.

Now back to your program languages. I never take another program language
as sample when I am writing in that. That would mean that I as well take
the bad things from those languages too the other languages and make it
for somebody, who does not know that programming language, afterwards
difficult to understand why I did it. You saw it today when somebody was
asking about how to use the "/n" in VBNet.

This would in my opinion led to a situation that there could be used the
ProperCase in C#. (What I forever remember me as the first message I saw
from you in this newsgroup) It is not a problem. However, bad to
understand for any C# programmer, who would have later to do maintenance
on the program.

By the way, when I write/speak English I think English, when I speak
German, I think German (not in the way as the stereotype German, before
you misunderstand). When I speak Polish (and especially when I have drunk
a lot of Vodka) I think Polish.

I thought let me write once a longer message.

Cor

Nov 21 '05 #33

P: n/a
On 2005-04-23, Brett <no@spam.net> wrote:
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C# that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

The languages are pretty similar, and I can only think of two situations
where language differences might make me lean one way or the other on a
project.

If you're coding to late-bound com objects, or trying to control Office
or something like that, VB.Net can make life much easier since it has a
late-bound mode.

If you're writing large controls or components, C#'s event properties
are very useful when it comes to optimization.

Other than that, I find the languages themselves to be pretty similar,
although as you've found you can get lots of flame wars over which
syntax is easier to use, which is more robust, etc. IMHO, the biggest
difference isn't the languages themselves, but there's still some big
differences that you should be aware of if you're starting a project.

Code generation tools tend to target C# first, and then only sometimes
expand to include VB.Net. So if you need parser generators, OR mapping,
stuff like that, you'll find a lot more options available for C# than
for VB.

That's true for code editing tools as well, there's a lot more
third-party plugins and scripts available to do things like refactoring
in C# than VB.Net.

The VB.Net IDE does background compilation, which provides instant
feedback on syntax errors (someone in another post said that this causes
performance problems on very large projects, though, but I haven't seen
that).

The VB.Net compiler is very forgiving, which is another way of saying
that its lint capabilities really suck. This gets you very much into
style, some people like the forgiving style, some people don't (as an
aside, this is the thing I dislike most about VB.net, I wish it had a
"strict" flag for the compiler; and no, that's not nearly the same thing
as Option Strict).

The VB.Net IDE doesn't support code comments in intellisense, which can
really be useful in multi-person projects.

Looking at language capabilities isn't going to help you much, because
the two have very similar capabilities. Coding style between the two is
very different, though. You asked for folks not to comment on the
programmer's background, but frankly, that probably should be the
overriding concern.
Nov 21 '05 #34

P: n/a

"David" <df*****@woofix.local.dom> wrote in message
news:slrnd6nuja.bqa.df*****@woofix.local.dom...
On 2005-04-23, Brett <no@spam.net> wrote:
What is the reason to do a project in C# rather than VB.NET and vice
versa?
Please exclude any differences in syntax and C/C++ background. Consider
if
you know VB and C/C++, why go one way or the other with the .NET
languages?

Basically, the languages appear to be the same. What can't I do in C#
that
I can in VB.NET and vice versa...on the project level.

The languages are pretty similar, and I can only think of two situations
where language differences might make me lean one way or the other on a
project.

If you're coding to late-bound com objects, or trying to control Office
or something like that, VB.Net can make life much easier since it has a
late-bound mode.

If you're writing large controls or components, C#'s event properties
are very useful when it comes to optimization.

Other than that, I find the languages themselves to be pretty similar,
although as you've found you can get lots of flame wars over which
syntax is easier to use, which is more robust, etc. IMHO, the biggest
difference isn't the languages themselves, but there's still some big
differences that you should be aware of if you're starting a project.

Code generation tools tend to target C# first, and then only sometimes
expand to include VB.Net. So if you need parser generators, OR mapping,
stuff like that, you'll find a lot more options available for C# than
for VB.


When you say parser, would that be use of regular expressions and parsing
complicated strings (URLs) out of large complicated documents (HTML pages)?

What exactly do you mean by mappings?

That's true for code editing tools as well, there's a lot more
third-party plugins and scripts available to do things like refactoring
in C# than VB.Net.

The VB.Net IDE does background compilation, which provides instant
feedback on syntax errors (someone in another post said that this causes
performance problems on very large projects, though, but I haven't seen
that).

The VB.Net compiler is very forgiving, which is another way of saying
that its lint capabilities really suck. This gets you very much into
style, some people like the forgiving style, some people don't (as an
aside, this is the thing I dislike most about VB.net, I wish it had a
"strict" flag for the compiler; and no, that's not nearly the same thing
as Option Strict).
Can you provide an example of what you mean here. In the paragraph before
this, you say the compiler provides instant feedback on syntax errors, which
I'd think means it is less forgiving. But then you say it is very
forgiving. My lack of understanding on what you mean there is mixing me up.

The VB.Net IDE doesn't support code comments in intellisense, which can
really be useful in multi-person projects.

Looking at language capabilities isn't going to help you much, because
the two have very similar capabilities. Coding style between the two is
very different, though. You asked for folks not to comment on the
programmer's background, but frankly, that probably should be the
overriding concern.


Than you get a lot of bias, which I'm not looking for.
Nov 21 '05 #35

P: n/a
On 2005-04-25, Brett <no@spam.net> wrote:

"David" <df*****@woofix.local.dom> wrote in message
news:slrnd6nuja.bqa.df*****@woofix.local.dom...

Code generation tools tend to target C# first, and then only sometimes
expand to include VB.Net. So if you need parser generators, OR mapping,
stuff like that, you'll find a lot more options available for C# than
for VB.
When you say parser, would that be use of regular expressions and parsing
complicated strings (URLs) out of large complicated documents (HTML pages)?


Parser generators, things like yacc and bison. One use would be to
parse strings out of complicated documents, but HTML is a special case
since there's already so many things that do that.
What exactly do you mean by mappings?


OR (Object Relational) mapping. When I look back at my post, I realize
the comma was a bit ambiguous.


That's true for code editing tools as well, there's a lot more
third-party plugins and scripts available to do things like refactoring
in C# than VB.Net.

The VB.Net IDE does background compilation, which provides instant
feedback on syntax errors (someone in another post said that this causes
performance problems on very large projects, though, but I haven't seen
that).

The VB.Net compiler is very forgiving, which is another way of saying
that its lint capabilities really suck. This gets you very much into
style, some people like the forgiving style, some people don't (as an
aside, this is the thing I dislike most about VB.net, I wish it had a
"strict" flag for the compiler; and no, that's not nearly the same thing
as Option Strict).


Can you provide an example of what you mean here. In the paragraph before
this, you say the compiler provides instant feedback on syntax errors, which
I'd think means it is less forgiving. But then you say it is very
forgiving. My lack of understanding on what you mean there is mixing me up.


The vb.net IDE does constant background compiling, so you get instant
feedback on a lot of errors, especially simple syntax errors like typing
a variable name wrong.

OTOH, when it actually comes time to compile for real, C# will warn you
about a lot of errors that the VB.Net compiler will ignore. Basic
things like unused variables or not returning a value from a function
are ignored by the VB.Net compiler.

The VB.Net IDE doesn't support code comments in intellisense, which can
really be useful in multi-person projects.

Looking at language capabilities isn't going to help you much, because
the two have very similar capabilities. Coding style between the two is
very different, though. You asked for folks not to comment on the
programmer's background, but frankly, that probably should be the
overriding concern.


Than you get a lot of bias, which I'm not looking for.

Nov 21 '05 #36

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.