By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,136 Members | 1,267 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,136 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

crystal reports unreleased connections

P: n/a
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we
open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5 forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter
Nov 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
17 Replies


P: n/a
Hi Peter,

This is interesting - how do you know you have these sleeping connections?

Bernie Yaeger

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group
but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we
open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server.
If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter

Nov 21 '05 #2

P: n/a
Hi Bernie,

sorry I haven't replied earlier to your post but it didn't show up in my
news reader and it still doesn't but I saw it on google. I know I've got the
sleeping connections because they show up in the sql server enterprise
manager

greetz Peter

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:#i**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group but I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we
open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5 forms with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. If I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or something like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter

Nov 21 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Your ISP is blocking you from perceived spam; happens to me all the time.
Just check back here periodically.

You're correct; I am working on the problem now to see if I can find a fix;
I will get back to you asap.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ud**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

sorry I haven't replied earlier to your post but it didn't show up in my
news reader and it still doesn't but I saw it on google. I know I've got
the
sleeping connections because they show up in the sql server enterprise
manager

greetz Peter

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:#i**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group

but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we
open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5

forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server.

If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or

something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter


Nov 21 '05 #4

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I was
aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.

The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are pooled and
reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything
and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it down,
you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's a
link that you may find helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...taProvider.asp

HTH,

Bernie Yaeger

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group
but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we
open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server.
If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter

Nov 21 '05 #5

P: n/a
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling, but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program. But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I was aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.

The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are pooled and reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything
and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it down, you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's a link that you may find helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
HTH,

Bernie Yaeger

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group
but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net
problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server.
If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go
away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that
some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so
they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter


Nov 21 '05 #6

P: n/a
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling, but the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program. But I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only use for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I was
aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.

The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are pooled

and
reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything
and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea.

Here's a
link that you may find helpful:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp

HTH,

Bernie Yaeger

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Group,

I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right group but
I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a ..net problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every time we open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
forms
with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. If
I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has no
effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
something
like that
Any help would be very much appreciated

Grtz Peter



Nov 21 '05 #7

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Below is a section on connection pooling that might be of value to you. It
indicates ways in which you can customize connection pooling using the
connection object. Try to set some of the parameters and let me know what
happens.

I'm a little concerned, though, about what you said - I'm wondering why your
users are encountering timeout problems and if this is really the result of
sleeping connections - let me know what you discover in this regard.

Bernie
--------------------------
Controlling Connection Pooling with Connection String Keywords
The ConnectionString property of the SqlConnection object supports
connection string key/value pairs that can be used to adjust the behavior of
the connection pooling logic.

The following table describes the ConnectionString values you can use to
adjust connection pooling behavior.

Name Default Description
Connection Lifetime 0 When a connection is returned to the pool, its
creation time is compared with the current time, and the connection is
destroyed if that time span (in seconds) exceeds the value specified by
Connection Lifetime. This is useful in clustered configurations to force
load balancing between a running server and a server just brought online.
A value of zero (0) will cause pooled connections to have the maximum
time-out.

Connection Reset 'true' Determines whether the database connection is
reset when being removed from the pool. For Microsoft SQL Server version
7.0, setting to false avoids making an additional server round trip when
obtaining a connection, but you must be aware that the connection state,
such as database context, is not being reset.
Enlist 'true' When true, the pooler automatically enlists the
connection in the current transaction context of the creation thread if a
transaction context exists.
Max Pool Size 100 The maximum number of connections allowed in the
pool.
Min Pool Size 0 The minimum number of connections maintained in the
pool.
Pooling 'true' When true, the connection is drawn from the appropriate
pool, or if necessary, created and added to the appropriate pool.
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #8

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Below is a section on connection pooling that might be of value to you. It
indicates ways in which you can customize connection pooling using the
connection object. Try to set some of the parameters and let me know what
happens.

I'm a little concerned, though, about what you said - I'm wondering why your
users are encountering timeout problems and if this is really the result of
sleeping connections - let me know what you discover in this regard.

Bernie
--------------------------
Controlling Connection Pooling with Connection String Keywords
The ConnectionString property of the SqlConnection object supports
connection string key/value pairs that can be used to adjust the behavior of
the connection pooling logic.

The following table describes the ConnectionString values you can use to
adjust connection pooling behavior.

Name Default Description
Connection Lifetime 0 When a connection is returned to the pool, its
creation time is compared with the current time, and the connection is
destroyed if that time span (in seconds) exceeds the value specified by
Connection Lifetime. This is useful in clustered configurations to force
load balancing between a running server and a server just brought online.
A value of zero (0) will cause pooled connections to have the maximum
time-out.

Connection Reset 'true' Determines whether the database connection is
reset when being removed from the pool. For Microsoft SQL Server version
7.0, setting to false avoids making an additional server round trip when
obtaining a connection, but you must be aware that the connection state,
such as database context, is not being reset.
Enlist 'true' When true, the pooler automatically enlists the
connection in the current transaction context of the creation thread if a
transaction context exists.
Max Pool Size 100 The maximum number of connections allowed in the
pool.
Min Pool Size 0 The minimum number of connections maintained in the
pool.
Pooling 'true' When true, the connection is drawn from the appropriate
pool, or if necessary, created and added to the appropriate pool.
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #9

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

I now see that getting to the viewer's connection object might not be
possible, so my advice doesn't serve any purpose; I will continue to look
into this to see if it's possible.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #10

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

I now see that getting to the viewer's connection object might not be
possible, so my advice doesn't serve any purpose; I will continue to look
into this to see if it's possible.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #11

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

OK; I'm at my wits end. There seems no way of getting at the connection
string of the crystal viewer, even of the crystal reportdocument. I'd
recommend you post to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet. There are
very strong people there who might be able to help us. If you come up with
anything, please let me know, as I am concerned about this issue for the
same reasons you are.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #12

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

OK; I'm at my wits end. There seems no way of getting at the connection
string of the crystal viewer, even of the crystal reportdocument. I'd
recommend you post to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet. There are
very strong people there who might be able to help us. If you come up with
anything, please let me know, as I am concerned about this issue for the
same reasons you are.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #13

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Making a little - very little - progress.

1. I have a message into Crystal re the problem;
2. I notice that you can change the timeout property in the connection
itself inside crystal reports. While I see no way there to edit the
connection string itself re pooling, this may help. For example, it
defaults to 15; I was able to change it to 1250 (presumably seconds) which
may resolve the timeout issues you've encountered.

Yes, it's a pain to have to change all of the reports' connection
properties, but if that's what we down to, at least it may be a solution.
Let me know what you think.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the
servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time
and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they
start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only

use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and I

was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled

and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt anything > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it

down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea. Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group > > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a .net > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net

and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time

we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5
> > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql server. > > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not go > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is that > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or so > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #14

P: n/a
Hi Bernie,

thnx for your suggestions and help, I also had found the connect timeout
property in the reports but the problem is that at a certain time the user
has so many sleeping connections that he can't open a report (= an extra
connection) and I think that the connect timeout property is the time the
report trys to connect to the server, but I'm not sure. But if it is what
you say it is, it will only cause the report to stay connected for a longer
time, and that's the problem the reports staying connected ;-)

If you've got any more hints,tips or thoughts they're welcome, and I'll
follow your advice and post the question in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet group and see what that gives.

thnx again for thinking with me and if you have got an other idea I'm very
interested in hearing it.

Greetz Peter
"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

Making a little - very little - progress.

1. I have a message into Crystal re the problem;
2. I notice that you can change the timeout property in the connection
itself inside crystal reports. While I see no way there to edit the
connection string itself re pooling, this may help. For example, it
defaults to 15; I was able to change it to 1250 (presumably seconds) which
may resolve the timeout issues you've encountered.

Yes, it's a pain to have to change all of the reports' connection
properties, but if that's what we down to, at least it may be a solution.
Let me know what you think.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I think I
can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection, because
it
seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the servername, databasename, userid and password to the
CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can set
it
here but I'm not sure how to use it.

Greetz

Peter
"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection pooling,

but
the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the program.

But
I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only
use
for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
want
to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
thnx again

Peter Proost

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter,
>
> It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered, and
I was
> aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>
> The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
> pooled
and
> reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt

anything
> and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut it
down,
> you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea.

Here's
a
> link that you may find helpful:
>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>
> HTH,
>
> Bernie Yaeger
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right

group
> > but
> > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's a

.net
> > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net and
> > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
> > time
we
> > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I open 5 > > forms
> > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql

server.
> > If
> > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will

not go
> > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this is

that
> > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour
or so
> > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
> > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this has
> > no
> > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
> > something
> > like that
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
> >
> > Grtz Peter
> >
> >
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #15

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

I have the answer!!!

Place this in the closing event of the form that closes when the viewer
closes:
crreportdocument.Dispose()

where crreportdocument is the reportdocument object that is the source for
the report - eg,

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = crreportdocument

This worked perfectly for me - I had 16 connections; when the report viewer
displays the report I had 17 connections; when I closed the viewer, I had 16
again. You were disposing the viewer, but it is the reportdocument object
that had to be disposed.

I got this, if you can believe it, from crystal (business objects), after
berating them for 2 days.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Regards,

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Ow**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

thnx for your suggestions and help, I also had found the connect timeout
property in the reports but the problem is that at a certain time the user
has so many sleeping connections that he can't open a report (= an extra
connection) and I think that the connect timeout property is the time the
report trys to connect to the server, but I'm not sure. But if it is what
you say it is, it will only cause the report to stay connected for a
longer
time, and that's the problem the reports staying connected ;-)

If you've got any more hints,tips or thoughts they're welcome, and I'll
follow your advice and post the question in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet group and see what that gives.

thnx again for thinking with me and if you have got an other idea I'm very
interested in hearing it.

Greetz Peter
"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

Making a little - very little - progress.

1. I have a message into Crystal re the problem;
2. I notice that you can change the timeout property in the connection
itself inside crystal reports. While I see no way there to edit the
connection string itself re pooling, this may help. For example, it
defaults to 15; I was able to change it to 1250 (presumably seconds)
which
may resolve the timeout issues you've encountered.

Yes, it's a pain to have to change all of the reports' connection
properties, but if that's what we down to, at least it may be a solution.
Let me know what you think.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bernie,
>
> I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I
> think I > can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection,
> because
> it
> seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass the > servername, databasename, userid and password to the
> CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
> There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can
> set
> it
> here but I'm not sure how to use it.
>
> Greetz
>
> Peter
>
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Bernie,
>>
>> First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection
>> pooling,
> but
>> the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the time >> and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server they >> start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the
>> program.
> But
>> I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports only > use
>> for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy
>> want
>> to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
>> thnx again
>>
>> Peter Proost
>>
>> "Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
>> news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Peter,
>> >
>> > It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered,
>> > and I >> was
>> > aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>> >
>> > The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
>> > pooled
>> and
>> > reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt
> anything
>> > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut
>> > it
>> down,
>> > you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea.
> Here's
>> a
>> > link that you may find helpful:
>> >
>> >
>>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm >> l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> >
>> > Bernie Yaeger
>> >
>> > "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > > Hi Group,
>> > >
>> > > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right
> group
>> > > but
>> > > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's
>> > > a
> .net
>> > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and vb.net >> and
>> > > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every
>> > > time
>> we
>> > > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I
>> > > open 5 >> > > forms
>> > > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql
> server.
>> > > If
>> > > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not > go
>> > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this
>> > > is
> that
>> > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour or > so
>> > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
>> > > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this
>> > > has
>> > > no
>> > > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or
>> > > something
>> > > like that
>> > > Any help would be very much appreciated
>> > >
>> > > Grtz Peter
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #16

P: n/a
Hi Bernie,

you got it!! Thnx a million times, There still is a little problem that's if
I call for example 5 reportForms like this

dim objReport as new frmReport
objReport.show

I've ofcourse got 5 connections, but when I close 4 of the report forms I
still got 5 connections but when I close the last form and leave my app
running I got 0 connections and that's good enough for me :-)

Thnx again I hope I can help you out some time

Greetz Peter and again thnx a million times

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:uP**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

I have the answer!!!

Place this in the closing event of the form that closes when the viewer
closes:
crreportdocument.Dispose()

where crreportdocument is the reportdocument object that is the source for
the report - eg,

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = crreportdocument

This worked perfectly for me - I had 16 connections; when the report viewer displays the report I had 17 connections; when I closed the viewer, I had 16 again. You were disposing the viewer, but it is the reportdocument object
that had to be disposed.

I got this, if you can believe it, from crystal (business objects), after
berating them for 2 days.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Regards,

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Ow**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

thnx for your suggestions and help, I also had found the connect timeout
property in the reports but the problem is that at a certain time the user
has so many sleeping connections that he can't open a report (= an extra
connection) and I think that the connect timeout property is the time the report trys to connect to the server, but I'm not sure. But if it is what you say it is, it will only cause the report to stay connected for a
longer
time, and that's the problem the reports staying connected ;-)

If you've got any more hints,tips or thoughts they're welcome, and I'll
follow your advice and post the question in the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet group and see what that gives.

thnx again for thinking with me and if you have got an other idea I'm very interested in hearing it.

Greetz Peter
"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

Making a little - very little - progress.

1. I have a message into Crystal re the problem;
2. I notice that you can change the timeout property in the connection
itself inside crystal reports. While I see no way there to edit the
connection string itself re pooling, this may help. For example, it
defaults to 15; I was able to change it to 1250 (presumably seconds)
which
may resolve the timeout issues you've encountered.

Yes, it's a pain to have to change all of the reports' connection
properties, but if that's what we down to, at least it may be a solution. Let me know what you think.

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bernie,
>
> I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I
> think

I
> can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection,
> because
> it
> seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to pass

the
> servername, databasename, userid and password to the
> CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
> There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can
> set
> it
> here but I'm not sure how to use it.
>
> Greetz
>
> Peter
>
>
> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Bernie,
>>
>> First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection
>> pooling,
> but
>> the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all the

time
>> and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql server

they
>> start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the
>> program.
> But
>> I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports

only
> use
>> for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy >> want
>> to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
>> thnx again
>>
>> Peter Proost
>>
>> "Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
>> news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Peter,
>> >
>> > It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered,
>> > and

I
>> was
>> > aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>> >
>> > The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
>> > pooled
>> and
>> > reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt
> anything
>> > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to shut
>> > it
>> down,
>> > you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good idea.
> Here's
>> a
>> > link that you may find helpful:
>> >
>> >
>>
>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm
>> l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>> >
>> > HTH,
>> >
>> > Bernie Yaeger
>> >
>> > "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> > > Hi Group,
>> > >
>> > > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right > group
>> > > but
>> > > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's >> > > a
> .net
>> > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and

vb.net
>> and
>> > > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every >> > > time
>> we
>> > > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I
>> > > open

5
>> > > forms
>> > > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my sql
> server.
>> > > If
>> > > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will not
> go
>> > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with this
>> > > is
> that
>> > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an
hour or
> so
>> > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
>> > > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this
>> > > has
>> > > no
>> > > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method

or >> > > something
>> > > like that
>> > > Any help would be very much appreciated
>> > >
>> > > Grtz Peter
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #17

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Glad to help; it ended up helping me as much as it helped you!

Regards,

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uv**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Hi Bernie,

you got it!! Thnx a million times, There still is a little problem that's
if
I call for example 5 reportForms like this

dim objReport as new frmReport
objReport.show

I've ofcourse got 5 connections, but when I close 4 of the report forms I
still got 5 connections but when I close the last form and leave my app
running I got 0 connections and that's good enough for me :-)

Thnx again I hope I can help you out some time

Greetz Peter and again thnx a million times

"Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:uP**************@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Hi Peter,

I have the answer!!!

Place this in the closing event of the form that closes when the viewer
closes:
crreportdocument.Dispose()

where crreportdocument is the reportdocument object that is the source
for
the report - eg,

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = crreportdocument

This worked perfectly for me - I had 16 connections; when the report

viewer
displays the report I had 17 connections; when I closed the viewer, I had

16
again. You were disposing the viewer, but it is the reportdocument
object
that had to be disposed.

I got this, if you can believe it, from crystal (business objects), after
berating them for 2 days.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Regards,

Bernie

"Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Ow**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Bernie,
>
> thnx for your suggestions and help, I also had found the connect
> timeout
> property in the reports but the problem is that at a certain time the user > has so many sleeping connections that he can't open a report (= an
> extra
> connection) and I think that the connect timeout property is the time the > report trys to connect to the server, but I'm not sure. But if it is what > you say it is, it will only cause the report to stay connected for a
> longer
> time, and that's the problem the reports staying connected ;-)
>
> If you've got any more hints,tips or thoughts they're welcome, and I'll
> follow your advice and post the question in the
> microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet group and see what that gives.
>
> thnx again for thinking with me and if you have got an other idea I'm very > interested in hearing it.
>
> Greetz Peter
>
>
> "Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
> news:OY**************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Making a little - very little - progress.
>>
>> 1. I have a message into Crystal re the problem;
>> 2. I notice that you can change the timeout property in the
>> connection
>> itself inside crystal reports. While I see no way there to edit the
>> connection string itself re pooling, this may help. For example, it
>> defaults to 15; I was able to change it to 1250 (presumably seconds)
>> which
>> may resolve the timeout issues you've encountered.
>>
>> Yes, it's a pain to have to change all of the reports' connection
>> properties, but if that's what we down to, at least it may be a solution. >> Let me know what you think.
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%2****************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Bernie,
>> >
>> > I wanted to test to set the pooling to false for the reports but I
>> > think
> I
>> > can't set this property for the crystalreportsviewer connection,
>> > because
>> > it
>> > seems to me that it manages it's own connections, I only have to
>> > pass
> the
>> > servername, databasename, userid and password to the
>> > CrystalDecisions.Shared.Connectioninfo
>> > There is CrystalDecisions.Shared.DbConnectionAttributes, maybe I can
>> > set
>> > it
>> > here but I'm not sure how to use it.
>> >
>> > Greetz
>> >
>> > Peter
>> >
>> >
>> > "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:eD**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> >> Hi Bernie,
>> >>
>> >> First of all, thnx for your time&help. I know about connection
>> >> pooling,
>> > but
>> >> the problem is that some of our users open and close reports all
>> >> the
> time
>> >> and then when they're up to 20-30 sleeping connections in sql
>> >> server
> they
>> >> start getting connection timeouts, and they have to reboot the
>> >> program.
>> > But
>> >> I was wondering if there isn't a possibility to let crystal reports
> only
>> > use
>> >> for example maximum 5 connections or something, because I don't realy >> >> want
>> >> to shut down connection pooling, because of it's advantages.
>> >> thnx again
>> >>
>> >> Peter Proost
>> >>
>> >> "Bernie Yaeger" <be*****@cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:O1**************@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> >> > Hi Peter,
>> >> >
>> >> > It looks like there is a good reason for what you've encountered,
>> >> > and
> I
>> >> was
>> >> > aware of it but didn't really observe its behavior before.
>> >> >
>> >> > The issue is 'connection pooling'. In .net, open connections are
>> >> > pooled
>> >> and
>> >> > reused, up to a maximum (I believe 100). They really don't hurt
>> > anything
>> >> > and provide for speedy reuse of a connection. If you want to
>> >> > shut
>> >> > it
>> >> down,
>> >> > you can set pooling = false, but I'm told this is not a good
>> >> > idea.
>> > Here's
>> >> a
>> >> > link that you may find helpful:
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/cpguide/htm >> >> l/cpconConnectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider. asp
>> >> >
>> >> > HTH,
>> >> >
>> >> > Bernie Yaeger
>> >> >
>> >> > "Peter Proost" <pp*****@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >> > news:%2****************@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> >> > > Hi Group,
>> >> > >
>> >> > > I've got an interesting problem, I don't know if this is the right >> > group
>> >> > > but
>> >> > > I think so because everything I've read about it so far says it's >> >> > > a
>> > .net
>> >> > > problem. Here's the problem, we're using crystal reports 9 and
> vb.net
>> >> and
>> >> > > we're using the crystalrepotViewer to show our reports. But every >> >> > > time
>> >> we
>> >> > > open a report the connection to or sql server remains, so if I
>> >> > > open
> 5
>> >> > > forms
>> >> > > with the report viewer I've got 5 sleeping connections in my
>> >> > > sql
>> > server.
>> >> > > If
>> >> > > I close all 5 forms I still got 5 open connections, and they will > not
>> > go
>> >> > > away until I close the entire application. The problem with
>> >> > > this
>> >> > > is
>> > that
>> >> > > some user only use the app to print reports so after about an hour > or
>> > so
>> >> > > they've got 80 sleeping connections. I've tried putting
>> >> > > crystalreportviewer1.dispose in the form closing event but this
>> >> > > has
>> >> > > no
>> >> > > effect. The crviewer also hasn't got a connection.close method or >> >> > > something
>> >> > > like that
>> >> > > Any help would be very much appreciated
>> >> > >
>> >> > > Grtz Peter
>> >> > >
>> >> > >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>



Nov 21 '05 #18

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.