471,825 Members | 869 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,825 software developers and data experts.

Default email client with attachment

Currently, our software is creating an email message using the Outlook
DLL to send emails out that have PDF attachments. I want to stop forcing
the customer to use outlook to send email.
So, I know I can use "mailto" to send email, but what methodology should
I use to send email using the default mail client WITH an attachment.

Thanks

Darin

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
Nov 21 '05 #1
7 10475
Darin,
So, I know I can use "mailto" to send email, but what methodology should
I use to send email using the default mail client WITH an attachment.


You cannot

Cor
Nov 21 '05 #2
So my only choice would be my current solution (forcing Outlook), or use
the SMTP mail examples that I have seen - right?

Darin

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
Nov 21 '05 #3
Exactly
So my only choice would be my current solution (forcing Outlook), or use
the SMTP mail examples that I have seen - right?

Exchange/Office Outlook of course and not Outlook Expres and than SMTP mail
only on NT5 and newer.

Cor
Nov 21 '05 #4
* Darin <darin_nospam@nospamever> scripsit:
Currently, our software is creating an email message using the Outlook
DLL to send emails out that have PDF attachments. I want to stop forcing
the customer to use outlook to send email.
So, I know I can use "mailto" to send email, but what methodology should
I use to send email using the default mail client WITH an attachment.


There is no standardized way to do that. Some mail clients will
interpret 'attach' or 'attachment', but AFAIK the most common mail
client, Outlook Express, doesn't understand these commands.

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>
V B <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/dotnet/faqs/>
Nov 21 '05 #5
but you could use MAPI. I have a vb.net project that is rather successful
using simple mapi. it supports attachments and seems to work with eudora
outlook and outllok express. i'm thinking it would work with other mapi
compatible email clients

gabe

"Cor Ligthert" wrote:
Darin,
So, I know I can use "mailto" to send email, but what methodology should
I use to send email using the default mail client WITH an attachment.


You cannot

Cor

Nov 21 '05 #6
Hello...

I saw the following message (below) on the newsgroup and was wondering
if you could share the vb.net project with me.

I would really like to see how you are accomplishing this.

Thanks,

Marc Cramer
cramer236 @ comcast . net

gabe wrote:
but you could use MAPI. I have a vb.net project that is rather successful
using simple mapi. it supports attachments and seems to work with eudora
outlook and outllok express. i'm thinking it would work with other mapi
compatible email clients

gabe

"Cor Ligthert" wrote:

Darin,

So, I know I can use "mailto" to send email, but what methodology should
I use to send email using the default mail client WITH an attachment.


You cannot

Cor

Nov 21 '05 #7
marc,
the code in the sub looks alot like this:

Dim Session As New MSMAPI.MAPISession
Session.LogonUI = True
Session.DownLoadMail = False
Session.SignOn()
Dim Messages As New MSMAPI.MAPIMessagesClass
Messages.SessionID = Session.SessionID
Messages.Compose()
Messages.RecipDisplayName = txtMessageTo.Text
Messages.MsgNoteText = txtMessageBody.Text
Messages.MsgSubject = txtMessageSubject.Text
Messages.ResolveName()
Messages.Send(False)
Session.SignOff()

this was done with a reference to msmapi32.ocx
(Microsoft MAPI Controls 6.0)
and if memory serves it was *heavily* influenced by one of the most useful
books
that i have ever read,
"Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Programmer's Cookbook"

"Marc Cramer" wrote:
Hello...

I saw the following message (below) on the newsgroup and was wondering
if you could share the vb.net project with me.

I would really like to see how you are accomplishing this.

Thanks,

Marc Cramer
cramer236 @ comcast . net


Nov 21 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

11 posts views Thread by Dustin Davis | last post: by
13 posts views Thread by Hemant Sipahimalani | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by erikcw | last post: by
NeoPa
reply views Thread by NeoPa | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.