By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,948 Members | 1,587 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,948 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

in vb6 we have InStr ,and in vb.net ?

P: n/a
hi.
how can i check if string 1 exist in string 2 in vb.net ?

have a nice day.
Nov 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
56 Replies


P: n/a
* "Daylor" <Da****@netvision.net.il> scripsit:
how can i check if string 1 exist in string 2 in vb.net ?


'Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.InStr' or 'String.IndexOf'.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Nak
Hi Herfried,
Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.


I never knew you took to quoting? is that Dilbert as in the cartoon?

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"No matter. Whatever the outcome, you are changed."

Fergus - September 5th 2003
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you
down to their level then beat you with experience.


I never knew you took to quoting? is that Dilbert as in the cartoon?


I don't know... Maybe it's that Dilbert.

;-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Herfried,

|| words of wisdom #18. Never argue with an idiot.

I take it that you are referring to me. In the terms of our truce there is
a condition that states that we will not refer to each other directly <or by
implication>.

The implication here is clear enough for anybody to see and constitutes a
breach of that truce.

Do you <really> want to continue this issue? Then take it to nntp.test and
blow off steam there.

Fergus.
Nov 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Hi Fergus,

* "Fergus Cooney" <fi****@post.com> scripsit:
words of wisdom #18. Never argue with an idiot.


I take it that you are referring to me.


That's your interpretation. I do not refer to you. You are not an
idiot. I read the sentence somewhere on the web and I liked it, so I
put it into my signature.

:-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Herfried,

I've not seen you include quotes in your signature before.

Your timing and choice of quote either shows a remarkable lack of
judgement, or you are lying. Neither looks good.

Including a smiley does not convince me of your innocent intent. You are
fully aware that the situation is tense between us.

I would like you to stop using that or any similar quotes. I urge you to
consider the possible consequences.

Take this elsewhere - keep it out of this newsgroup.

Fergus
Nov 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
* "Fergus Cooney" <fi****@post.com> scripsit:
I've not seen you include quotes in your signature before.
Do you have a problem with the quote? Why? Do you think you are an
idot?!
Your timing and choice of quote either shows a remarkable lack of
judgement, or you are lying. Neither looks good.
I don't need to justify for including a quote.
Including a smiley does not convince me of your innocent intent. You are
fully aware that the situation is tense between us.
The quote has nothing to do with you.
I would like you to stop using that or any similar quotes. I urge you to
consider the possible consequences.
What are the consequences?
Take this elsewhere - keep it out of this newsgroup.


[x] You have a problem with me.
[ ] I have a problem with you.

Try to change this, then everything will be OK.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
It's a grade school playground, Herfried is used to running it and somebody
new moved into the neighborhood.

I think we can all see quite plainly that your intentions are to keep the
feud alive. We'll play it your way.
..

"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:%2*****************@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
* "Fergus Cooney" <fi****@post.com> scripsit:
I've not seen you include quotes in your signature before.
Do you have a problem with the quote? Why? Do you think you are an
idot?!
Your timing and choice of quote either shows a remarkable lack of
judgement, or you are lying. Neither looks good.


I don't need to justify for including a quote.
Including a smiley does not convince me of your innocent intent. You are
fully aware that the situation is tense between us.


The quote has nothing to do with you.
I would like you to stop using that or any similar quotes. I urge you to
consider the possible consequences.


What are the consequences?
Take this elsewhere - keep it out of this newsgroup.


[x] You have a problem with me.
[ ] I have a problem with you.

Try to change this, then everything will be OK.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you

down to their level then beat you with experience.

Nov 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
My answer is in microsoft.public.nntp.test
Nov 20 '05 #10

P: n/a
I've been away for a few days and wasn't aware that there was tension
between you two. For what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for both of
you and hope that this 'feud' doesn't get in the way of all the good work
both of you do.

There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to him
;-)
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:ev**************@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
Hi Fergus,

* "Fergus Cooney" <fi****@post.com> scripsit:
words of wisdom #18. Never argue with an idiot.
I take it that you are referring to me.


That's your interpretation. I do not refer to you. You are not an
idiot. I read the sentence somewhere on the web and I liked it, so I
put it into my signature.

:-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you

down to their level then beat you with experience.

Nov 20 '05 #11

P: n/a
On 2003-11-02, William Ryan <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
I've been away for a few days and wasn't aware that there was tension
between you two. For what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for both of
you and hope that this 'feud' doesn't get in the way of all the good work
both of you do.

There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to him
;-)


I certainly concur... Bailo is the one of the biggest idiots around.

Watch your replies to him... You will likely find your self in a battle
with Linux Advocates, because most of his non-sense is cross posted to
comp.os.linux.advocacy. But, of course you found that out when they
called you an idiot for using OE...

--
Tom Shelton
MVP [Visual Basic]
Nov 20 '05 #12

P: n/a
Thank God VB is the MS Product they hate the most. They never seem to
slither over here...
"Tom Shelton" <to*@mtogden.com> wrote in message
news:uP**************@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
On 2003-11-02, William Ryan <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
I've been away for a few days and wasn't aware that there was tension
between you two. For what it's worth, I have the utmost respect for both of you and hope that this 'feud' doesn't get in the way of all the good work both of you do.

There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to him ;-)


I certainly concur... Bailo is the one of the biggest idiots around.

Watch your replies to him... You will likely find your self in a battle
with Linux Advocates, because most of his non-sense is cross posted to
comp.os.linux.advocacy. But, of course you found that out when they
called you an idiot for using OE...

--
Tom Shelton
MVP [Visual Basic]

Nov 20 '05 #13

P: n/a
"William Ryan" <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote...
There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to him ;-)


Oh heaven forbid he sees you mention his name here...

Nov 20 '05 #14

P: n/a
I'm sorry, I realize what that would cause and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I took it for granted that he'd never be here since he hates VB so bad, but
then again, he probably trolls the groups looking for something to be
annoying about.

My bad!
"Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> wrote in message
news:WK*******************@twister.nyc.rr.com...
"William Ryan" <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote...
There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to

him
;-)


Oh heaven forbid he sees you mention his name here...

Nov 20 '05 #15

P: n/a
On 2003-11-02, Tom Leylan <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> wrote:
"William Ryan" <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote...
There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to

him
;-)


Oh heaven forbid he sees you mention his name here...


Don't know if you've ever read the Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan
- but I believe there maybe certain paralles between the mention of
Bailo and a certain nameless one...
--
Tom Shelton
MVP [Visual Basic]
Nov 20 '05 #16

P: n/a
On 2003-11-02, William Ryan <do********@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
Thank God VB is the MS Product they hate the most. They never seem to
slither over here...


Well, I manage to make it over here... :) Actually, I'm not a Linux
advocate per se - though I do use it (look at my headers :).

--
Tom Shelton
MVP [Visual Basic]
Nov 20 '05 #17

P: n/a
Nak
Hi Herfried,
I don't know... Maybe it's that Dilbert.


Hmm, I'll take that as a yes then, how comes you're quoting that then?

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"No matter. Whatever the outcome, you are changed."

Fergus - September 5th 2003
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #18

P: n/a
Nak
Ignore this, I already know.

Nick.
Nov 20 '05 #19

P: n/a
Nak
Hi Herfried,
I've not seen you include quotes in your signature before.
Do you have a problem with the quote? Why? Do you think you are an
idot?!


Fergus has a bit of a point there, and maybe you are being a little ignorant
in your choice of phrases. It seems a bit strange that you are playing that
card, if you want to express something to Fergus, express it, don't just say
it indirectly to attempt to keep your reputation in the newsgroup.

You might want to consider one thing, most people that ask for help in the
group, don't always come back, it's like a one off question, off the cuff.
So saying that those people don't generally see the *community* in the
group, which I am sure exists. On the other hand *we* (the regulars) see
quite allot and can have reasons to believe when people are being "toll
like".

Herfried, all I am trying to say is just because you are the "regular of
regulars" here, does not mean that you never act like a troll, because you
have in the past and are likely to again in the future. If I am going by
your definition of a troll, *everyone* does it once in a while, and I am
being toll like now!
Your timing and choice of quote either shows a remarkable lack of
judgement, or you are lying. Neither looks good.


I don't need to justify for including a quote.


It would be an idea picking a quote that wouldn't cause conflict, if you
seriously did not believe that your quote would cause conflict then you are
extremely slow and ignorant. I do not believe this is the case and it was
obviously calculated, why quote just to stir someone? Are you hoping that
Fergus will overstep some invisible mark and be *metaphorically* kicked out
of the group simply because you are not seen to rise to conflict?

My personal opinion is that Fergus puts more forethrought into answering
questions than you do, and his answers are not only answers, they are
explanations. Sometimes you pass people to German pages 'and / or' with
simply an URL as an answer, which personally I don't always find
particularly helpful, as do many others. Just because Fergus is
*relatively* new, does not mean that you can't show respect to him. Respect
is a two lane street, try not walking down the middle!
Including a smiley does not convince me of your innocent intent. You are
fully aware that the situation is tense between us.


The quote has nothing to do with you.


Hmmm, I have seen *all* of your threads where the tension was raised, and to
*me* this looks quite blatant Herfried, the only person you are kidding is
yourself.
[x] You have a problem with me.
[ ] I have a problem with you.

Try to change this, then everything will be OK.


How about you make a conscious effort to *not* annoy Fergus? I am sure he
would do likewise! Fergus has considered and offered a truce and you have
blown it out of your ear, you are the one that has the problem Herfried and
just because you are the "regular of regulars", does *not* mean that it is
right!

Herfried, ease the arrogance, it does not become you! And my apologies if
offence is taken by my penny being throw in, but at the end of the day,
allot of us are part of this group and do not like to see this happen, so it
has got *everything* to do with us!

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"No matter. Whatever the outcome, you are changed."

Fergus - September 5th 2003
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #20

P: n/a
Nak
And don't bother replying to this one either, it needn't be done, I do not
have enough time to thread watch at the moment. Unless of course someone
wants to complain about *me*, then fair enough! But I have said my bit and
we *all* deserve that! :-D

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
"No matter. Whatever the outcome, you are changed."

Fergus - September 5th 2003
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #21

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
I've not seen you include quotes in your signature before.
Do you have a problem with the quote? Why? Do you think you are an
idot?!


Fergus has a bit of a point there, and maybe you are being a little ignorant
in your choice of phrases. It seems a bit strange that you are playing that
card, if you want to express something to Fergus, express it, don't just say
it indirectly to attempt to keep your reputation in the newsgroup.

You might want to consider one thing, most people that ask for help in the
group, don't always come back, it's like a one off question, off the cuff.
So saying that those people don't generally see the *community* in the
group, which I am sure exists. On the other hand *we* (the regulars) see
quite allot and can have reasons to believe when people are being "toll
like".

Herfried, all I am trying to say is just because you are the "regular of
regulars" here, does not mean that you never act like a troll, because you
have in the past and are likely to again in the future. If I am going by
your definition of a troll, *everyone* does it once in a while, and I am
being toll like now!


Everybody can use a quote in his signature. Some do, some do not. If I
reply to a message, it shows that I do not think that the person is an
idiot.

;-)
Your timing and choice of quote either shows a remarkable lack of
judgement, or you are lying. Neither looks good.


I don't need to justify for including a quote.


It would be an idea picking a quote that wouldn't cause conflict, if you


It doesn't cause conflict. Fergus has, for some unknown reason, a
problem with it. He should try to cope with the problem.
My personal opinion is that Fergus puts more forethrought into answering
questions than you do, and his answers are not only answers, they are
explanations. Sometimes you pass people to German pages 'and / or' with
simply an URL as an answer, which personally I don't always find
particularly helpful, as do many others. Just because Fergus is
*relatively* new, does not mean that you can't show respect to him. Respect
It seems that you didn't read my other posts. I show respect for Fergus
and his knowledge.
[x] You have a problem with me.
[ ] I have a problem with you.

Try to change this, then everything will be OK.


How about you make a conscious effort to *not* annoy Fergus? I am sure he


I do not annoy Fergus. If he thinks he is an idiot, then it's his
problem. Not mine.
just because you are the "regular of regulars", does *not* mean that it is
right!


Who says that I am the "regular of regulars"?!

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #22

P: n/a
* "Fergus Cooney" <fi****@post.com> scripsit:
My answer is in microsoft.public.nntp.test


I am not interested in your answer and I am not interested in a
discussion about this topic. As stated previously, it's up to you to
understand that I didn't include the quote because of you.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #23

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
Ignore this, I already know.


?!?

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #24

P: n/a
* "William Ryan" <do********@nospam.comcast.net> scripsit:
There's a dude over in C# and .NET General named JohnBailo, or jbailo
sometimes. he's the troll of all trolls. We should direct all feuds to him
;-)


;-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #25

P: n/a
Cor
Hi William,

Can you not redirect a time him to this group.

I love to go in a debat again once.

With the guys here I only can do it with Herfried.

With the others we agree mostly with each others in 5 lines.

And because of that Fergus/Herfried conflict I cannot even do it with
Herfried now.

:-))

Cor
Nov 20 '05 #26

P: n/a
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote...
Everybody can use a quote in his signature. Some do, some do not. If I
reply to a message, it shows that I do not think that the person is an
idiot.
Uhhh Herfried... we all understand the legal issue here and your right to
use a quote. Nobody for a minute believes that your "idiot gauge" operates
by watching whether you reply or not.
It doesn't cause conflict. Fergus has, for some unknown reason, a
problem with it. He should try to cope with the problem.
The reason (like so many human nature issues) is only mysterious to you.

(When Nak wrote:)
My personal opinion is that Fergus puts more forethrought into answering
questions than you do, and his answers are not only answers, they are
explanations. Sometimes you pass people to German pages 'and / or' with
simply an URL as an answer, which personally I don't always find
particularly helpful, as do many others.


(You replied:) It seems that you didn't read my other posts. I show respect for Fergus
and his knowledge.
He did read your replies, I read your replies. Fergus (and others) do put
more thought into their replies. You will always disagree because if you
point somebody to a German page they can't read "they" are the dumb ones for
not understanding you.

For gosh sakes, Nak has pointed out a simple fact as have many others and
for "some unknown reason" you cannot even acknowledge it. They are wrong,
so am I, so is everybody who disagrees with you. This is where you reply
with "Plonk" by the way.
I do not annoy Fergus. If he thinks he is an idiot, then it's his
problem. Not mine.
Oh... that one was clever. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't
deliver the one-liners. Bammo, to the point. Most of us have never seen
anybody quite as quick as you... just another one of your numerous talents.
Comedy Central watchout. How do you do it?
Who says that I am the "regular of regulars"?!


Ah "Debate 101" question the questioner. All this talent in a 16 year
old...

Nov 20 '05 #27

P: n/a
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote...
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
Ignore this, I already know.
?!?

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you

down to their level then beat you with experience.


Here I'll translate:
He knows you've backed yourself into a corner and you'll never simply say
"that was dopey" and move on with your life.

--
Tom Leylan
MVP of neither VB Classic or VB.NET

dotnet.languages.vb words of wisdom #5: Never try to explain something to
Herfried.. He understand what he wants, when he wants. You're just wrong.
Nov 20 '05 #28

P: n/a
Cor
Tom,

There are a lot of international readers comming here, who don't have a
problem with German pages although it is not there national language.

I have looked at those pages and when you go to the examples, it has to be
usable for people who know more than one language (Reading German is very
easy for me, so maybe I am wrong but I doubt it).

Therefore I don't find it an isue to make that a part from the discussion
here.

It goes about the respect of Fergus and Herfried for each other.

Fergus has said he needs some time because he is very angry, so please give
him that.

I will try to correct (help) Herfried on my way and if I have the thought
Fergus does needs that help Fergus too.

When Herfried wants to give an example on a German page, let another one
give another example as an alternative or keep his mouth. It is the reader
who decide what he want. Take it or leave it, Herfried never said they have
to use it.

I agree with him, when he once said something like "Even if it was on a
Chinese page and I did need it, I would try if I could understand it".

And please Herfried and Fergus no comments from you both?

Cor

Nov 20 '05 #29

P: n/a
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
Ignore this, I already know.
?!?

[...] Here I'll translate:
He knows you've backed yourself into a corner and you'll never simply say
"that was dopey" and move on with your life.


I don't understand the meaning of "dopey". Google is not able to
translate it and I didn't hear it before.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #30

P: n/a
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
Everybody can use a quote in his signature. Some do, some do not. If I
reply to a message, it shows that I do not think that the person is an
idiot.
Uhhh Herfried... we all understand the legal issue here and your right to
use a quote. Nobody for a minute believes that your "idiot gauge" operates
by watching whether you reply or not.


;-)
It doesn't cause conflict. Fergus has, for some unknown reason, a
problem with it. He should try to cope with the problem.


The reason (like so many human nature issues) is only mysterious to you.


Don't tell me that... I have enough experience in working with users and
using scientific methods to capture and analyze their behavior.
(When Nak wrote:)
My personal opinion is that Fergus puts more forethrought into answering
questions than you do, and his answers are not only answers, they are
explanations. Sometimes you pass people to German pages 'and / or' with
simply an URL as an answer, which personally I don't always find
particularly helpful, as do many others.

(You replied:)
It seems that you didn't read my other posts. I show respect for Fergus
and his knowledge.


He did read your replies, I read your replies. Fergus (and others) do put
more thought into their replies.


I won't be able to write a large story into my post because my English
isn't good enough to do that. Sometimes I misunderstand things. I
would be happy if you would tolerate that.
You will always disagree because if you
point somebody to a German page they can't read "they" are the dumb ones for
not understanding you.
Really interesting. We already had this discussion (at least once).
Everybody here should be able to understand VB.NET/C# code even if it's
part of a German language website. I try to write my code as intuitive
as possible in order to enable people to understand it even if they
cannot understand the comments. And: if one of them has a question,
he/she is free to ask me. I will explain it in English as good as
possible.

I never called someone to be "dumb" because he didn't understand a
German page. I appreciate it if somebody who has problems in
understanding it asks for more help/a translation.

Keyword: "Language Barrier".
For gosh sakes, Nak has pointed out a simple fact as have many others and
for "some unknown reason" you cannot even acknowledge it.
What?
They are wrong, so am I, so is everybody who disagrees with you.
I don't think that you disagree with me. I think you don't really
understand me and I don't really understand you because you use words I
misunderstand and I use words you don't understand with the same
connotiation I have.
This is where you reply with "Plonk" by the way.


I reply with *PLONK* in _rare_ cases.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down
to their level then beat you with experience.
Nov 20 '05 #31

P: n/a
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote...
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
The reason (like so many human nature issues) is only mysterious to you.
Don't tell me that... I have enough experience in working with users and
using scientific methods to capture and analyze their behavior.


Well don't try to psychoanalyze other people then. You plainly don't have
"enough" experience or you wouldn't be posting the excuses you do. And,
"users" aren't going to challenge you, they think you know what you're
doing.
He did read your replies, I read your replies. Fergus (and others) do put more thought into their replies.


I won't be able to write a large story into my post because my English
isn't good enough to do that. Sometimes I misunderstand things. I
would be happy if you would tolerate that.


A large story isn't what is missing here. What is missing is you willing to
read and think about what other people post. You immediately form a
rebuttal argument, you come up with legal reasons why "anybody" can add a
quote to their response and when all else fails you pretend you don't
understand the language. You've done this ten times so far.

Misunderstanding isn't a language issue BTW. People misunderstand stuff in
their native language all the time. Most people can handle it.
Really interesting. We already had this discussion (at least once).
Everybody here should be able to understand VB.NET/C# code even if it's
part of a German language website. I try to write my code as intuitive
as possible in order to enable people to understand it even if they
cannot understand the comments. And: if one of them has a question,
he/she is free to ask me. I will explain it in English as good as
possible.


Again you miss the point. I didn't complain, somebody else did... they
pointed out how your terse replies and pointing to MSDN pages might not work
for everybody. Nak mentioned the German pages, I haven't see it happen.
You ignore his point, you attack the "details". If he wrote "you did <blah>
20 times" you would likely count them up and post "no I only did it 18
times" rather than ever write "I guess that could be confusing."

"Everybody here" isn't going to be fluent enough in VB.Net to translate
German comments or variable names. But that isn't the point that Nak was
trying to make, you just pat yourself on the back and ignore every
constructive reply you get when it doesn't suit you. Everybody here is
trying to help you aren't alone in that regard.
For gosh sakes, Nak has pointed out a simple fact as have many others and for "some unknown reason" you cannot even acknowledge it.


What?


See?

Nov 20 '05 #32

P: n/a
"Cor" <no*@non.com> wrote...
There are a lot of international readers comming here, who don't have a
problem with German pages although it is not there national language.


There is no problem. I didn't complain about German pages, Nak posted it.
Part of being "helpful" is listening to the response of people who one is
trying to help. When (or if) those people write "I don't get it" I tend to
believe they don't get it. :-)

I used to speak at computer conferences. If 50% of the people came up
afterward and told me they were lost I am certain I wouldn't think it was
their problem, I would think it was mine and that I had misjudged the
audience.

Come to think of it, it even happened once. It was only a user-group
meeting but after my talk I could see the blank stares. I asked "nobody
here has the faintest idea what I'm talking about right?" They didn't.

Nov 20 '05 #33

P: n/a
How curious... I searched for "dopey" and on the first page there was a link
to HyperDictionary with a definition.

You plainly find only what you want to find when you want to find it. But
if you are as attuned to the "user" as you claimed it seems equally curious
that you a) can't figure out what the guy meant and that you respond with
?!?

It's been fun playing... I sure don't believe anything you write any
longer...
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:%2***************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
Ignore this, I already know.

?!? [...]
Here I'll translate:
He knows you've backed yourself into a corner and you'll never simply
say "that was dopey" and move on with your life.


I don't understand the meaning of "dopey". Google is not able to
translate it and I didn't hear it before.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you

down to their level then beat you with experience.

Nov 20 '05 #34

P: n/a
Cor
Tom,
I told you I understand the samples and I am sure you don't want to call me
nobody.

That the used language of this group is English, does not mean that it give
some extra to the ones who only speak English, it is of course a pitty that
for those there is not a En newsgroup for those.

But there are also no NL, DK, NO etc group, and we don't complain for an
German sample in an International group.

When someone has a part of code in Danish, so what, I can see the keywords.

(No problem if you come in this discussion Fergus and Herfried for me).

:-)

Cor
Nov 20 '05 #35

P: n/a
Nak
Herfried,
I will continue my work in this group the same way I did before. I
won't stop to do that only because some people here seem to be
enviously.
No one is envious of you Herfried.

I don't think many people could possibly be envious of you simply because
you have an archive of MSDN links! It is very simple to provide help the
way that you do, you have even admitted it yourself. In order for someone
to be envious of you, you would have to be doing something that they cannot.
It's willingness to share knowledge that counts, not sharing personal

preferences.

Actually Herfried, not everyone comes here to have a pre defined answer, as
you well know, every programmer is unique and has a unique style. That is
what the newsgroup offers, everyone to chip in their own unique style which
depends completely on personal preferences. When providing an answer,
should you give the most simple solution or the most advanced solution,
sometimes both, that is a decision that people make when they answer
questions.

When I first started programming I used to refer to Planet Source Code. The
web site is designed for beginners and professionals alike, that is why I
used to like it. It was also a major incentive to be able to get kudos for
your hard efforts, it actively encourages sharing of source code. My point
is that on PSC you will find a million and 1 examples saying how to do the
same thing, all with unique styles. I hunt for a while until I find an
example that suits the style that I am after. If all examples were the same
PSC would not be popular, it would be another MSDN.

Believe it or not, even you apply your own personal preferences when you
answer questions Herfried, even you.

Anyways, that is enough of this thread for me, Pastrim Leader signing out!
;-)

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I got fed up with programming because it's such a
hamster wheel. I'm glad I'm back, but its still a lot
of running just to stay where you are!

:-)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #36

P: n/a
Cor
Hi Nick

Herfried is not from Germany.

Not everybody who speaks English is from England, that is the same with the
German language.

:-))

Cor
Nov 20 '05 #37

P: n/a
Cor
Hi Nick,

When I was already a while programming I got to do with Burroughs.

I think that they are from Calfornia. I had learned English (here it was
only Oxford English) and had read a lot from IBM.

But it was nice to read that English and than thinking you where walking in
the Mexico sun. But it was correct English, only not used in the City.

:-))

Cor
Nov 20 '05 #38

P: n/a
* "Cor" <no*@non.com> scripsit:
Herfried is not from Germany.

Not everybody who speaks English is from England, that is the same with the
German language.


ACK. I am not able to make a distinction bezweeen en-uk and en-us text.

;-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #39

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
I will continue my work in this group the same way I did before. I
won't stop to do that only because some people here seem to be
enviously.
No one is envious of you Herfried.


Ha... It seems you were on holidays in the last week.

;-)
depends completely on personal preferences. When providing an answer,
should you give the most simple solution or the most advanced solution,
sometimes both, that is a decision that people make when they answer
questions.
I think that both solutions should be posted.
When I first started programming I used to refer to Planet Source Code.
is that on PSC you will find a million and 1 examples saying how to do the
same thing, all with unique styles. I hunt for a while until I find an
Most of the samples on PSC are buggy/ugly, but there are some "best
practice" samples too.
Believe it or not, even you apply your own personal preferences when you
answer questions Herfried, even you.
I never said anything else.
Anyways, that is enough of this thread for me, Pastrim Leader signing out!


OK, let's answer the other questions.

;-)

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #40

P: n/a
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote...
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:

There are hundreds of users who do not even know that they can use
Google to find a solution.


Then one solution is to ask "Have you tried searching Google?" See how that works?


Why should I do that? There may be no solution to the problem or the OP
doesn't know the right words to look for.


This is getting silly isn't it? You wrote (I see the quote) that lots of
people don't know they can use Google.

Some of us believe that teaching a man to fish is at least "as good" as
giving a man a fish.
Nov 20 '05 #41

P: n/a
"Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]" <hi***************@gmx.at> wrote...
Wow... you are cool. A change of tactics? It won't work Herfried. I don't think I'm cool I
posted a simple fact.
I learned VB.NET with the MSDN documentation. It worked. If it doesn't
help _you_, you cannot imply that everybody has a problem understanding
MSDN pages.


Wow... you are cool.
Nov 20 '05 #42

P: n/a
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
There are hundreds of users who do not even know that they can use
Google to find a solution.

Then one solution is to ask "Have you tried searching Google?" See how
that
works?


Why should I do that? There may be no solution to the problem or the OP
doesn't know the right words to look for.


This is getting silly isn't it? You wrote (I see the quote) that lots of
people don't know they can use Google.

Some of us believe that teaching a man to fish is at least "as good" as
giving a man a fish.


Even posting a link with a Google query is teaching a man to fish. But
let's stop this discussion at this point...

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #43

P: n/a
* "Tom Leylan" <ge*@iamtiredofspam.com> scripsit:
Wow... you are cool.


A change of tactics? It won't work Herfried. I don't think I'm cool I
posted a simple fact.
I learned VB.NET with the MSDN documentation. It worked. If it doesn't
help _you_, you cannot imply that everybody has a problem understanding
MSDN pages.


Wow... you are cool.


;-)))

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #44

P: n/a
Nak
Cor,
Herfried is not from Germany.
FFS!

The second I say something that is not correct, someone has to jump on it.
I did not know that Herfried was not from Germany, okay?
Not everybody who speaks English is from England, that is the same with the German language.


Yes you are correct, what is your point? I *presumed* Herfried was from
Germany as he speaks German, that is all, it is a pretty normal presumption
to make do you not think Cor? Just the same that you would *presume* that I
am either English or American.

Pardon me for making a presumption! Can I beg for your forgiveness?

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I got fed up with programming because it's such a
hamster wheel. I'm glad I'm back, but its still a lot
of running just to stay where you are!

:-)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #45

P: n/a
Nak
Hi Tom,
Some of us believe that teaching a man to fish is at least "as good" as
giving a man a fish.


Perfectly put!!

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I got fed up with programming because it's such a
hamster wheel. I'm glad I'm back, but its still a lot
of running just to stay where you are!

:-)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #46

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
Herfried is not from Germany.
FFS!


What does "FFS" mean?
The second I say something that is not correct, someone has to jump on it.
I did not know that Herfried was not from Germany, okay?


You don't need to apologize.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #47

P: n/a
Nak
Herfried,
Even posting a link with a Google query is teaching a man to fish. But
let's stop this discussion at this point...


No it isn't!

And no, this discussion does not stop on your say so!

How about you rephrase that to,

"But let me stop taking part in the discussion at this point..."

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I got fed up with programming because it's such a
hamster wheel. I'm glad I'm back, but its still a lot
of running just to stay where you are!

:-)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #48

P: n/a
Nak
Herfried,
What does "FFS" mean?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=for+fuck's+sake

I used Google, maybe you could do this in the future?
You don't need to apologize.


I wasn't, I was being sarcastic.

Nick.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I got fed up with programming because it's such a
hamster wheel. I'm glad I'm back, but its still a lot
of running just to stay where you are!

:-)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nov 20 '05 #49

P: n/a
* "Nak" <a@a.com> scripsit:
Even posting a link with a Google query is teaching a man to fish. But
let's stop this discussion at this point...
No it isn't!


That's why I said "Let's stop the discussion at this point".
And no, this discussion does not stop on your say so!


I won't take part in a flamewar.

--
Herfried K. Wagner
MVP VB Classic, VB.NET
<http://www.mvps.org/dotnet>

<http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html>
Nov 20 '05 #50

56 Replies

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.