By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,213 Members | 2,172 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,213 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

SQL server connection problem

P: n/a
just installed SQL server 2000 and using my client , i can't locate
the server. I used SQL query analyzer to search but no servers were
found. Error message is as below
Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][DBnetlib] SQL server does not exist

or denied access.
Regards
Daniel

Nov 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
17 Replies


P: n/a
Am 13 Nov 2005 08:14:32 -0800 schrieb Da*********@gmail.com:
just installed SQL server 2000 and using my client , i can't locate
the server. I used SQL query analyzer to search but no servers were
found. Error message is as below
Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][DBnetlib] SQL server does not exist

or denied access.
Regards
Daniel


Check your SQL-Server client configuration on the server, if TCP is
enabled. If you did not specify it when installing SQL Server, then TCP is
disabled for security reasons!
You should find this tool in your program list, if not, search for
"SVRNETCN.exe" (should be in C:\Programs\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Binn\)

bye,
helmut
Nov 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
just installed SQL server 2000 and using my client , i can't locate
the server. I used SQL query analyzer to search but no servers were
found. Error message is as below
Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][DBnetlib] SQL server does not exist

or denied access.


Which means that ODBC cannot find the SQL Server. There are a number
of possible reasons. The most trivial is that SQL Server is not running.

For other possible reasons check
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q328306.
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi, just want to verify that I can login to the SQL server from the
server itself. So does it mean it is really a port or protocol problem
? I'll check the configuration when i'm at home. Thanks

Regards
Daniel
helmut woess wrote:
Am 13 Nov 2005 08:14:32 -0800 schrieb Da*********@gmail.com:
just installed SQL server 2000 and using my client , i can't locate
the server. I used SQL query analyzer to search but no servers were
found. Error message is as below
Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][DBnetlib] SQL server does not exist

or denied access.
Regards
Daniel


Check your SQL-Server client configuration on the server, if TCP is
enabled. If you did not specify it when installing SQL Server, then TCP is
disabled for security reasons!
You should find this tool in your program list, if not, search for
"SVRNETCN.exe" (should be in C:\Programs\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Binn\)

bye,
helmut


Nov 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
Hi, does ODBC indicates database driver or protocol issue from your
knowledges ? Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Nov 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, does ODBC indicates database driver or protocol issue from your
knowledges ? Thanks


As I said, the message means that the SQL Server could not be found. Which
could be because it is not running, because it does not listening on
the protocol you are trying to use etc. Please refer to the KB article
I gave you a link to.

If you cannot work it out, you will need to provide more details, as
connection problems can have so many reasons, that it's not meaningful
to give a guess without access to the environment.
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
Hi, i managed to make it connected by specifying alias in the server.
I'm not sure why ? but after connected i still can't login , another
error came out

Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][TCP/IP sockets] SQL server
does not exist or denied access.
Regards
Daniel

Nov 23 '05 #7

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, i managed to make it connected by specifying alias in the server.
I'm not sure why ? but after connected i still can't login , another
error came out

Server : Msg17,level 16, state1
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL server driver][TCP/IP sockets] SQL server
does not exist or denied access.


That's the same message as in you original post, save for the last
bracket. You still fail connect.

For further assistance, please anser these questions:

Have you verified that SQL Server is running?

Is SQL Server on the same machine you try to connect from?

Which protocols are SQL Server configured for? (You can view this
in the Server Network Utility).

If you changed which protocols SQL Servers uses, did you restart SQL Server
after this?

Is there a firewall on the SQL Server machine?
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #8

P: n/a
Yes I've check in my server the SQL service is running. No i tried to
connect from another machine. Server is Win2003 standard server and
client is Win2000 prof. Both netlib uses TCP/IP and port 1433. I
configure both named pipe to be the same. Each can ping each other
either by IP or host name. I never change any protocol, uses the
default TCP/IP. As far as i know there is no firewall between them,
unless there is the windows internal firewall security ? is it
possible? . Btw what is alias for ? by using alias i can find the
server host name but not IP . Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Nov 23 '05 #9

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Yes I've check in my server the SQL service is running. No i tried to
connect from another machine. Server is Win2003 standard server and
client is Win2000 prof. Both netlib uses TCP/IP and port 1433. I
configure both named pipe to be the same. Each can ping each other
either by IP or host name. I never change any protocol, uses the
default TCP/IP. As far as i know there is no firewall between them,
unless there is the windows internal firewall security ? is it
possible? .
I Windows Firewall is running on the machine with SQL Server, you will need
to configure the firewall to permit connections to SQL Server.
Btw what is alias for ? by using alias i can find the
server host name but not IP . Thanks


Aliases are good when connection by name does not work, and you don't want
to use IP-address and port number all the time.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #10

P: n/a
Hi, I don;t think I have any firewall installed but how to verify that
no firewall is installed ? Also i have check that port 1433 is not
there on the server and client. Will SQL server only connect to this
port or any other port number ? I've read that SQL will dynamically
connect from port 1024 onwards, is it true ? If alias is not connected
with ip address , port number and even name , then how does it connect
to the server ?

Regards
Daniel
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Yes I've check in my server the SQL service is running. No i tried to
connect from another machine. Server is Win2003 standard server and
client is Win2000 prof. Both netlib uses TCP/IP and port 1433. I
configure both named pipe to be the same. Each can ping each other
either by IP or host name. I never change any protocol, uses the
default TCP/IP. As far as i know there is no firewall between them,
unless there is the windows internal firewall security ? is it
possible? .


I Windows Firewall is running on the machine with SQL Server, you will need
to configure the firewall to permit connections to SQL Server.
Btw what is alias for ? by using alias i can find the
server host name but not IP . Thanks


Aliases are good when connection by name does not work, and you don't want
to use IP-address and port number all the time.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx


Nov 23 '05 #11

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, I don;t think I have any firewall installed but how to verify that
no firewall is installed ?
Windows 2003 comes with Windows Firewall by default doesn't it? If it's
SP1, there is an applet in the Control Panel. If you don't have SP1, then
you have right-click the network connection, click Properties for TCP/IP,
and then look under the Advanced tab. (If memory serves.)
Also i have check that port 1433 is not there on the server and client.
Will SQL server only connect to this port or any other port number ?
I've read that SQL will dynamically connect from port 1024 onwards, is
it true ? If alias is not connected with ip address , port number and
even name , then how does it connect to the server ?


A default instance of SQL Server listens to port 1433 by default. Non-
default instances typically uses other ports. When a client connects to
a non-default instance it first interrogates on UDP port 1434 to get the
actual port number. If that service is not available, for instance because
of a firewall, you can set up alias with the actual portnumber. I think you
also can specify the port number when you connect as SERVER,1234.

Finally, you did install service pack3 or 4 for SQL 2000, didn't you?
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #12

P: n/a
Hi, I have SP4. When i use netstat -an, there is no connection to my
client machine. Do you mean both server and client can set up port as
1234 ? I also attached my errorlog, maybe can look at it ? Btw if both
machine can ping by ip and name then it shouldn't be any connection
problem right ? Thanks.

2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194
(Intel X86)
Aug 6 2000 00:57:48
Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation
Personal Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: )

2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Copyright (C) 1988-2000 Microsoft
Corporation.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server All rights reserved.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Server Process ID is 1864.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Logging SQL Server messages in file
'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\log\ERRORLOG'.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.29 server SQL Server is starting at priority
class 'normal'(1 CPU detected).
2005-11-19 00:21:08.40 server SQL Server configured for thread mode
processing.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.40 server Using dynamic lock allocation. [500]
Lock Blocks, [1000] Lock Owner Blocks.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.50 spid3 Starting up database 'master'.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.81 server Using 'SSNETLIB.DLL' version
'8.0.194'.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.81 spid5 Starting up database 'model'.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.87 spid3 Server name is 'BACKUP'.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.87 spid3 Skipping startup of clean database id
4
2005-11-19 00:21:08.87 spid3 Skipping startup of clean database id
5
2005-11-19 00:21:08.87 spid3 Skipping startup of clean database id
6
2005-11-19 00:21:08.87 spid3 Skipping startup of clean database id
7
2005-11-19 00:21:09.71 spid5 Clearing tempdb database.
2005-11-19 00:21:11.85 spid5 Starting up database 'tempdb'.
2005-11-19 00:21:12.03 spid3 Recovery complete.
2005-11-19 00:21:20.90 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory,
Named Pipes.
2005-11-19 00:21:20.90 server SQL Server is ready for client
connections
2005-11-19 00:22:47.93 logon Login succeeded for user 'Daniel'.
Connection: Non-Trusted.
2005-11-19 00:22:47.95 spid51 Starting up database 'Northwind'.
2005-11-19 00:22:48.82 spid51 Using 'xpstar.dll' version
'2000.80.194' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_MSADEnabled'.
2005-11-19 00:22:49.09 spid51 Using 'xplog70.dll' version
'2000.80.194' to execute extended stored procedure 'xp_msver'.
2005-11-19 00:22:58.35 spid51 Starting up database 'msdb'.
2005-11-19 00:25:11.90 spid3 SQL Server is terminating due to
'stop' request from Service Control Manager.
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, I don;t think I have any firewall installed but how to verify that
no firewall is installed ?


Windows 2003 comes with Windows Firewall by default doesn't it? If it's
SP1, there is an applet in the Control Panel. If you don't have SP1, then
you have right-click the network connection, click Properties for TCP/IP,
and then look under the Advanced tab. (If memory serves.)
Also i have check that port 1433 is not there on the server and client.
Will SQL server only connect to this port or any other port number ?
I've read that SQL will dynamically connect from port 1024 onwards, is
it true ? If alias is not connected with ip address , port number and
even name , then how does it connect to the server ?


A default instance of SQL Server listens to port 1433 by default. Non-
default instances typically uses other ports. When a client connects to
a non-default instance it first interrogates on UDP port 1434 to get the
actual port number. If that service is not available, for instance because
of a firewall, you can set up alias with the actual portnumber. I think you
also can specify the port number when you connect as SERVER,1234.

Finally, you did install service pack3 or 4 for SQL 2000, didn't you?
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx


Nov 23 '05 #13

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, I have SP4. When i use netstat -an, there is no connection to my
client machine. Do you mean both server and client can set up port as
1234 ? I also attached my errorlog, maybe can look at it ? Btw if both
machine can ping by ip and name then it shouldn't be any connection
problem right ? Thanks.
OK, here is an interesting tidbit:
2005-11-19 00:21:20.90 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory,
Named Pipes.


Not a word on TCP/IP, even less a port number. This is how my errorlog looks
like:

2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 172.16.18.28: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL Server is ready for client connections

So either you use the Server Network Utility and enable TCP/IP for the
server, and the restart the server. Or you use the Client Network Utitilty
on the client box and enable Named Pipes. I recommend the first opion.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #14

P: n/a
Hi, from the server itself I installed client login and I could login.
I noticed the server itself has ODBC DS installed in ODBC control
panel. Do I need to install it for client ? Both netlib is supporting
TCP/IP with fixed port 1433 as this is default instance. Doesn;t that
name pipe is more suitable for local system as server and client ?

Regards
Daniel
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, I have SP4. When i use netstat -an, there is no connection to my
client machine. Do you mean both server and client can set up port as
1234 ? I also attached my errorlog, maybe can look at it ? Btw if both
machine can ping by ip and name then it shouldn't be any connection
problem right ? Thanks.


OK, here is an interesting tidbit:
2005-11-19 00:21:20.90 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory,
Named Pipes.


Not a word on TCP/IP, even less a port number. This is how my errorlog looks
like:

2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 172.16.18.28: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL Server is ready for client connections

So either you use the Server Network Utility and enable TCP/IP for the
server, and the restart the server. Or you use the Client Network Utitilty
on the client box and enable Named Pipes. I recommend the first opion.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx


Nov 23 '05 #15

P: n/a
Hi, forget to tell that my client is a multihomed machine. Does it
matters ?

Regards
Daniel

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, I have SP4. When i use netstat -an, there is no connection to my
client machine. Do you mean both server and client can set up port as
1234 ? I also attached my errorlog, maybe can look at it ? Btw if both
machine can ping by ip and name then it shouldn't be any connection
problem right ? Thanks.


OK, here is an interesting tidbit:
2005-11-19 00:21:20.90 server SQL server listening on Shared Memory,
Named Pipes.


Not a word on TCP/IP, even less a port number. This is how my errorlog looks
like:

2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 172.16.18.28: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.61 server SQL server listening on 127.0.0.1: 1433.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL server listening on TCP, Shared Memory.
2005-11-05 09:57:47.68 server SQL Server is ready for client connections

So either you use the Server Network Utility and enable TCP/IP for the
server, and the restart the server. Or you use the Client Network Utitilty
on the client box and enable Named Pipes. I recommend the first opion.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx


Nov 23 '05 #16

P: n/a
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, from the server itself I installed client login and I could login.
I noticed the server itself has ODBC DS installed in ODBC control
panel. Do I need to install it for client ?
No.
Both netlib is supporting TCP/IP with fixed port 1433 as this is default
instance. Doesn;t that name pipe is more suitable for local system as
server and client ?
I don't know what you are trying to say in your last sentence, but the
errorlog you included shows that the server is *not* listening to TCP/IP.
Change this in the Server Configuration Utility.

And, oh, there is one very important thing that I missed in the post of your
previous error log.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194
(Intel X86)
You are running SQL 2000 RTM on Windows 2003, which is not supported.
Install SP 3 (8.00.760) or SP4 (8.00.2039).
Hi, forget to tell that my client is a multihomed machine. Does it
matters ?


Multi-homed, do you mean that you have several boot partitions or do you
mean something else?
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx
Nov 23 '05 #17

P: n/a
Hi, thanks for your help, my problem solved when I upgrade to SP4. My
client have 2 NICs (multi-homed) thats the problem. An issue with SQL.

Regards
Daniel
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
(Da*********@gmail.com) writes:
Hi, from the server itself I installed client login and I could login.
I noticed the server itself has ODBC DS installed in ODBC control
panel. Do I need to install it for client ?


No.
Both netlib is supporting TCP/IP with fixed port 1433 as this is default
instance. Doesn;t that name pipe is more suitable for local system as
server and client ?


I don't know what you are trying to say in your last sentence, but the
errorlog you included shows that the server is *not* listening to TCP/IP.
Change this in the Server Configuration Utility.

And, oh, there is one very important thing that I missed in the post of your
previous error log.
2005-11-19 00:21:08.26 server Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194
(Intel X86)


You are running SQL 2000 RTM on Windows 2003, which is not supported.
Install SP 3 (8.00.760) or SP4 (8.00.2039).
Hi, forget to tell that my client is a multihomed machine. Does it
matters ?


Multi-homed, do you mean that you have several boot partitions or do you
mean something else?
--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, es****@sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinf...ons/books.mspx


Nov 23 '05 #18

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.