By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,825 Members | 967 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,825 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Will MySQLdb, the Python shim, be supported for Python 2.6 or 3.x?

P: n/a
MySQLdb, the Python shim for MySQL, still supports Python only to
Python 2.5. See "http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python". Are there
any plans to support Python 2.6 or 3.x?

John Nagle
Nov 17 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
John Nagle wrote:
* * *MySQLdb, the Python shim for MySQL, still supports Python onlyto
Python 2.5. *See "http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python". *Arethere
any plans to support Python 2.6 or 3.x?
Are you running windows? If so, check the forums of the group above,
some nice chap has posted a 2.6 version.
Nov 17 '08 #2

P: n/a
Alia Khouri wrote:
John Nagle wrote:
> MySQLdb, the Python shim for MySQL, still supports Python only to
Python 2.5. See "http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python". Are there
any plans to support Python 2.6 or 3.x?

Are you running windows? If so, check the forums of the group above,
some nice chap has posted a 2.6 version.
Some reports indicate it doesn't work. See

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...forum_id=70460

Whoever did the port somehow created a dependency on the
Intel math library, "libguide40.dll" and "libmmd.dll". That shouldn't
be needed in the MySQL Python shim. It's not freely distributable,
either; you have to buy the Intel C++ compiler to get it. There are
versions of those DLLs available on the web, but they may or may not
be legitimate or current.

John Nagle
Nov 18 '08 #3

P: n/a
John Nagle wrote:
* * Whoever did the port somehow created a dependency on the
Intel math library, "libguide40.dll" and "libmmd.dll". *That shouldn't
be needed in the MySQL Python shim. *It's not freely distributable,
either; you have to buy the Intel C++ compiler to get it. *There are
versions of those DLLs available on the web, but they may or may not
be legitimate or current.
I'm aware of that, as I went through the same process, actually
discovered that dependency myself, and ended up having to use dlls off
the net. Eventhough I got this to work in the end, I ultimately found
that this isn't the only extension lib with 'issues', in 2.6 (numpy,
etc..) I finally ditched 2.6 for my app and reverted back to 2.5. My
recommendation is to do the same until things improve in extension
land.

AK
Nov 19 '08 #4

P: n/a
Alia Khouri wrote:
>>John Nagle wrote:
Whoever did the port somehow created a dependency on the
Intel math library, "libguide40.dll" and "libmmd.dll". That shouldn't
be needed in the MySQL Python shim. It's not freely distributable,
either; you have to buy the Intel C++ compiler to get it. There are
versions of those DLLs available on the web, but they may or may not
be legitimate or current.

I'm aware of that, as I went through the same process, actually
discovered that dependency myself, and ended up having to use dlls off
the net. Eventhough I got this to work in the end, I ultimately found
that this isn't the only extension lib with 'issues', in 2.6 (numpy,
etc..) I finally ditched 2.6 for my app and reverted back to 2.5. My
recommendation is to do the same until things improve in extension
land.
It's a weird dependency, too. Extensions usually have to be built
with the same compiler as the Python core. If someone built this extension with
the Intel C++ compiler for x86 (why else would it need "libguide40.dll" and
"libmmd.dll"), there may be mixed-library compatibility problems.

John Nagle
Nov 19 '08 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.