By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,715 Members | 748 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,715 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

converting to and from octal escaped UTF--8

P: n/a
Hi,

I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.

For example, the letter "Í" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".

I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "Í" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?

I know I can get the code point by doing
>>"Í".decode('utf-8').encode('unicode_escape')
but there doesn't seem to be any similar method for getting the octal
escaped version.

Thanks,
Michael
Dec 3 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,

I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.

For example, the letter "Í" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".

I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "Í" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?

I know I can get the code point by doing
>>>"Í".decode('utf-8').encode('unicode_escape')
but there doesn't seem to be any similar method for getting the octal
escaped version.

Thanks,
Michael
I've come up with the following solution. It's not very pretty, but it
works (no bugs, I hope). Can anyone think of a better way to do it?

Michael
_________

import binascii

def escape(s):
hexstring = binascii.b2a_hex(s)
result = ""
while len(hexstring) 0:
(hexbyte, hexstring) = (hexstring[:2], hexstring[2:])
octbyte = oct(int(hexbyte, 16)).zfill(3)
result += "\\" + octbyte[-3:]
return result

def unescape(s):
result = ""
while len(s) 0:
if s[0] == "\\":
(octbyte, s) = (s[1:4], s[4:])
try:
result += chr(int(octbyte, 8))
except ValueError:
result += "\\"
s = octbyte + s
else:
result += s[0]
s = s[1:]
return result

print escape("\303\215")
print unescape('adf\\303\\215adf')
Dec 3 '07 #2

P: n/a
On Dec 2, 8:38 pm, Michael Goerz <answer...@8439.e4ward.comwrote:
Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,
I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.
For example, the letter "" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".
I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?
I know I can get the code point by doing
>>"".decode('utf-8').encode('unicode_escape')
but there doesn't seem to be any similar method for getting the octal
escaped version.
Thanks,
Michael

I've come up with the following solution. It's not very pretty, but it
works (no bugs, I hope). Can anyone think of a better way to do it?

Michael
_________

import binascii

def escape(s):
hexstring = binascii.b2a_hex(s)
result = ""
while len(hexstring) 0:
(hexbyte, hexstring) = (hexstring[:2], hexstring[2:])
octbyte = oct(int(hexbyte, 16)).zfill(3)
result += "\\" + octbyte[-3:]
return result

def unescape(s):
result = ""
while len(s) 0:
if s[0] == "\\":
(octbyte, s) = (s[1:4], s[4:])
try:
result += chr(int(octbyte, 8))
except ValueError:
result += "\\"
s = octbyte + s
else:
result += s[0]
s = s[1:]
return result

print escape("\303\215")
print unescape('adf\\303\\215adf')
Looks like escape() can be a bit simpler...

def escape(s):
result = []
for char in s:
result.append("\%o" % ord(char))
return ''.join(result)

Regards,
Jordan
Dec 3 '07 #3

P: n/a
MonkeeSage wrote:
Looks like escape() can be a bit simpler...

def escape(s):
result = []
for char in s:
result.append("\%o" % ord(char))
return ''.join(result)

Regards,
Jordan
Very neat! Thanks a lot...
Michael
Dec 3 '07 #4

P: n/a
Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,

I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.

For example, the letter "Í" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".

I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "Í" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?
Perhaps something along the lines of:
>>def encode(source):
... return "".join("\%o" % ord(c) for c in source.encode('utf8'))
...
>>def decode(encoded):
... bytes = "".join(chr(int(c, 8)) for c in encoded.split('\\')[1:])
... return bytes.decode('utf8')
...
>>encode(u"Í")
'\\303\\215'
>>print decode(_)
Í
>>>
HTH
Michael

Dec 3 '07 #5

P: n/a
On Dec 2, 11:46 pm, Michael Spencer <m...@telcopartners.comwrote:
Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,
I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.
For example, the letter "" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".
I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?

Perhaps something along the lines of:
>>def encode(source):
... return "".join("\%o" % ord(c) for c in source.encode('utf8'))
...
>>def decode(encoded):
... bytes = "".join(chr(int(c, 8)) for c in encoded.split('\\')[1:])
... return bytes.decode('utf8')
...
>>encode(u"")
'\\303\\215'
>>print decode(_)
>>>

HTH
Michael
Nice one. :) If I might suggest a slight variation to handle cases
where the "encoded" string contains plain text as well as octal
escapes...

def decode(encoded):
for octc in (c for c in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded)):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')

This way it can handle both "\\141\\144\\146\\303\\215\\141\\144\\146"
as well as "adf\\303\\215adf".

Regards,
Jordan
Dec 3 '07 #6

P: n/a
On Dec 3, 1:31 am, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS...@gmail.comwrote:
On Dec 2, 11:46 pm, Michael Spencer <m...@telcopartners.comwrote:
Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,
I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.
For example, the letter "" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".
I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "" to "\303\215"and
vice versa?
Perhaps something along the lines of:
>>def encode(source):
... return "".join("\%o" % ord(c) for c in source.encode('utf8'))
...
>>def decode(encoded):
... bytes = "".join(chr(int(c, 8)) for c in encoded.split('\\')[1:])
... return bytes.decode('utf8')
...
>>encode(u"")
'\\303\\215'
>>print decode(_)
HTH
Michael

Nice one. :) If I might suggest a slight variation to handle cases
where the "encoded" string contains plain text as well as octal
escapes...

def decode(encoded):
for octc in (c for c in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded)):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')

This way it can handle both "\\141\\144\\146\\303\\215\\141\\144\\146"
as well as "adf\\303\\215adf".

Regards,
Jordan
err...

def decode(encoded):
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')
Dec 3 '07 #7

P: n/a
MonkeeSage wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:31 am, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS...@gmail.comwrote:
>On Dec 2, 11:46 pm, Michael Spencer <m...@telcopartners.comwrote:
>>Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,
I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.
For example, the letter "" (latin capital I with acute, code point 205)
would come out as "\303\215".
I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?
Perhaps something along the lines of:
>>def encode(source):
... return "".join("\%o" % ord(c) for c in source.encode('utf8'))
...
>>def decode(encoded):
... bytes = "".join(chr(int(c, 8)) for c in encoded.split('\\')[1:])
... return bytes.decode('utf8')
...
>>encode(u"")
'\\303\\215'
>>print decode(_)

HTH
Michael
Nice one. :) If I might suggest a slight variation to handle cases
where the "encoded" string contains plain text as well as octal
escapes...

def decode(encoded):
for octc in (c for c in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded)):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')

This way it can handle both "\\141\\144\\146\\303\\215\\141\\144\\146"
as well as "adf\\303\\215adf".

Regards,
Jordan

err...

def decode(encoded):
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')
Great suggestions from both of you! I came up with my "final" solution
based on them. It encodes only non-ascii and non-printables, and stays
in unicode strings for both input and output. Also, low ascii values now
encode into a 3-digit octal sequence also, so that decode can catch them
properly.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

____________

import re

def encode(source):
encoded = ""
for character in source:
if (ord(character) < 32) or (ord(character) 128):
for byte in character.encode('utf8'):
encoded += ("\%03o" % ord(byte))
else:
encoded += character
return encoded.decode('utf-8')

def decode(encoded):
decoded = encoded.encode('utf-8')
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', decoded):
decoded = decoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return decoded.decode('utf8')
orig = u"blablub" + chr(10)
enc = encode(orig)
dec = decode(enc)
print orig
print enc
print dec

Dec 3 '07 #8

P: n/a
>>>>Michael Goerz <an*******@8439.e4ward.com(MG) wrote:
>MG if (ord(character) < 32) or (ord(character) 128):
If you encode chars < 32 it seems more appropriate to also encode 127.

Moreover your code is quadratic in the size of the string so if you use
long strings it would be better to use join.
--
Piet van Oostrum <pi**@cs.uu.nl>
URL: http://www.cs.uu.nl/~piet [PGP 8DAE142BE17999C4]
Private email: pi**@vanoostrum.org
Dec 4 '07 #9

P: n/a
On Dec 3, 8:10 am, Michael Goerz <answer...@8439.e4ward.comwrote:
MonkeeSage wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:31 am, MonkeeSage <MonkeeS...@gmail.comwrote:
On Dec 2, 11:46 pm, Michael Spencer <m...@telcopartners.comwrote:
>Michael Goerz wrote:
Hi,
I am writing unicode stings into a special text file that requires to
have non-ascii characters as as octal-escaped UTF-8 codes.
For example, the letter "" (latin capital I with acute, code point205)
would come out as "\303\215".
I will also have to read back from the file later on and convert the
escaped characters back into a unicode string.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go from "" to "\303\215" and
vice versa?
Perhaps something along the lines of:
>>def encode(source):
... return "".join("\%o" % ord(c) for c in source.encode('utf8'))
...
>>def decode(encoded):
... bytes = "".join(chr(int(c, 8)) for c in encoded.split('\\')[1:])
... return bytes.decode('utf8')
...
>>encode(u"")
'\\303\\215'
>>print decode(_)

HTH
Michael
Nice one. :) If I might suggest a slight variation to handle cases
where the "encoded" string contains plain text as well as octal
escapes...
def decode(encoded):
for octc in (c for c in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded)):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')
This way it can handle both "\\141\\144\\146\\303\\215\\141\\144\\146"
as well as "adf\\303\\215adf".
Regards,
Jordan
err...
def decode(encoded):
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', encoded):
encoded = encoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return encoded.decode('utf8')

Great suggestions from both of you! I came up with my "final" solution
based on them. It encodes only non-ascii and non-printables, and stays
in unicode strings for both input and output. Also, low ascii values now
encode into a 3-digit octal sequence also, so that decode can catch them
properly.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

____________

import re

def encode(source):
encoded = ""
for character in source:
if (ord(character) < 32) or (ord(character) 128):
for byte in character.encode('utf8'):
encoded += ("\%03o" % ord(byte))
else:
encoded += character
return encoded.decode('utf-8')

def decode(encoded):
decoded = encoded.encode('utf-8')
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', decoded):
decoded = decoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return decoded.decode('utf8')

orig = u"blablub" + chr(10)
enc = encode(orig)
dec = decode(enc)
print orig
print enc
print dec
An optimization...in decode() store matches as keys in a dict, so you
only do the string replacement once for each unique character...

def decode(encoded):
decoded = encoded.encode('utf-8')
matches = {}
for octc in re.findall(r'\\(\d{3})', decoded):
matches[octc] = None
for octc in matches:
decoded = decoded.replace(r'\%s' % octc, chr(int(octc, 8)))
return decoded.decode('utf8')

Untested...

Regards,
Jordan
Dec 4 '07 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.