471,338 Members | 959 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,338 software developers and data experts.

Automation and scheduling of front page publishing using python

Good afternoon,

We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
published via Front Page.

Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

What I would love to do is find a way of automating this task, ideally
by the command line, and called from a central automated task
scheduler such as Maestro.

Using Cygwin's rsync or Microsoft's Robocopy successfully moves a
site from one file system path to another but the front page
extensions and navigation/etc are
broken.

Does anyone know of an alternative method for handling this using
Python?

I did a google search and a scan of the cheese shop but nothing seems
to jump out as a place to start.

Any advice you can give on this would be fantastic.

I've been trying to introduce Python to my shop for some time but they
have been most resistant, usually insisting on Perl.

Thanks,
Andy

Aug 30 '07 #1
4 1224
In message <11**********************@x40g2000prg.googlegroups .com>,
an************@gmail.com wrote:
We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
published via Front Page.

Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.
Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.
Sep 1 '07 #2
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message <11**********************@x40g2000prg.googlegroups .com>,
an************@gmail.com wrote:
>We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
published via Front Page.

Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.
But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
--------------- Asciimercial ------------------
Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
Many services currently offer free registration
----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

Sep 1 '07 #3
In message <ma**************************************@python.o rg>, Steve
Holden wrote:
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>In message <11**********************@x40g2000prg.googlegroups .com>,
an************@gmail.com wrote:
>>We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
published via Front Page.

Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.

Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.

But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?
If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they get.
Sep 1 '07 #4
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message <ma**************************************@python.o rg>, Steve
Holden wrote:
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>In message <11**********************@x40g2000prg.googlegroups .com>,
an************@gmail.com wrote:

We have numerous web sites which are currently being manually
published via Front Page.

Doing one or two sites on an ad-hoc basis was not too bad but we are
now over 20 or thirty at set times during a business day.
Let me open the bidding by suggesting that you stop using FrontPage.
But that would mean reprogramming the functionality they now implement
using FrontPage extensions. Any help with that?

If they were using FrontPage extensions, they deserve everything they get.
While possibly justifiable, given that FrontPage has had holes you could
drive a London double-decker but through since time immemorial, it isn't
a terribly helpful observation. And they clearly *are* using FrontPage
extensions, since the OP states that rsync and RoboCopy leave "the front
page extensions and navigation/etc [...] broken".

Not everyone reads the literature even well enough to know about
well-known problems like FrontPage. Whether such ignorance deserves to
be punished by such open-ended retribution is arguable, and I think I'd
come down on the "no" side.

The only mistake they made was trusting the vendor to provide secure
solutions ...

[Andrew: sorry to drag you into this discussion - I don't know whether
you were aware of FrontPage's security issues or not. If not, you should
certainly think about reading up on them].

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
--------------- Asciimercial ------------------
Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
Many services currently offer free registration
----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

Sep 1 '07 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by Doug R | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Gilles Leblanc | last post: by
reply views Thread by calfdog | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Tony Proctor | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by qwweeeit | last post: by
15 posts views Thread by qwweeeit | last post: by
1 post views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?cm95YWxwZWk=?= | last post: by
reply views Thread by rosydwin | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.