By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
428,786 Members | 2,241 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 428,786 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Web based Reporting tool for Python

P: n/a
Hi

I am looking template based report tools for python.It has the ability
to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF,
HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.

Thanks,

Madhu Alagu

Aug 7 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
10 Replies


P: n/a

Madhu Alagu wrote:
Hi

I am looking template based report tools for python.It has the ability
to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF,
HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.

Thanks,

Madhu Alagu
I don't know if there's a _single_ tool that can do all you want
(there may be, just that I don't know of one), but there are many
tools that can each do some part of it. Here are some, off the top of
my head - Googling should get you more for each category.

For templating - Cheetah, others.

For PDF - ReportLab. PDFLib has Python bindings too, but its paid for
commercial use, IIRC.

For HTML - Python standard library itself has some stuff, there must
be others.

For XLS/CSV - CSV output is easy enough to "roll your own". Then
import the CSV into Excel. If this isn't good enough (and it may not
be, depending on your needs, as it requires manual (ok, it is possible
to sort of automate that too using COM) import of the CSV into Excel.
Google for a Python lib for direct XLS generation.

For XML - like CSV, for simple XML, can be written by you (its just
outputting XML tags, attributes and content from your code). There
might be issues with encodings, etc. - in which case use a lib. Python
has many XML libs - do some research.
David Mertz and Uche Ogbuji, among others, have written a lot of
articles on Python and XML, many of them are about reviewing and
comparing various libs like ElementTree, Gnosis XML utilities and
others. Many of those and other articles are on IBM developerWorks and
XML.com.

Vasudev Ram
http://www.dancingbison.com
http://jugad.livejournal.com
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf

Aug 7 '07 #2

P: n/a
On 2007-08-06 23:29:16 -0500, Madhu Alagu <al*****@gmail.comsaid:
Hi
I am looking template based report tools for python.It has the ability
to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF,
HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.
I don't think this has been implemented in Python because it's a pretty
boring thing to do, and things like JasperReports (in Java) and Crystal
Reports already have the market pretty well tied up. What my company
did was to use JasperReports via a web service we set up.

Aug 7 '07 #3

P: n/a
Madhu Alagu wrote:
I am looking template based report tools for python.It has the ability
to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF,
HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.
As others have mentioned, I don't believe that all of the above is implemented
in a single package. However, Python can most definitely deal with all of the
above formats.

For HTML templating I can highly recommend Clearsilver:
http://www.clearsilver.net/ it's written in C with Python (and other language)
wrappers, is very fast and is also extensible.

For PDF:
ReportLab - http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...tml?loc=dwmain

For XSLT:
4Suite, libxml - http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/no...01/python-xslt

For CSV and XML:
csv module, libxml, lxml, ElemenTree modules

-Jay
Aug 7 '07 #4

P: n/a
Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).I like to use simple and
python default module...

Thanks
Madhu Alagu
On Aug 8, 12:29 am, Jay Loden <pyt...@jayloden.comwrote:
Madhu Alagu wrote:
I am looking template based report tools for python.It has the ability
to deliver rich content onto the screen, to the printer or into PDF,
HTML, XLS, CSV and XML files.

As others have mentioned, I don't believe that all of the above is implemented
in a single package. However, Python can most definitely deal with all of the
above formats.

For HTML templating I can highly recommend Clearsilver:http://www.clearsilver.net/it's written in C with Python (and other language)
wrappers, is very fast and is also extensible.

For PDF:
ReportLab -http://www.reportlab.org/downloads.html
-http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sc6.html?loc=dwmain

For XSLT:
4Suite, libxml -http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/nodes/2003-01-01/python-xslt

For CSV and XML:
csv module, libxml, lxml, ElemenTree modules

-Jay

Aug 8 '07 #5

P: n/a
On 2007-08-07 23:35:26 -0500, Madhu Alagu <al*****@gmail.comsaid:
Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).I like to use simple and
python default module...
Mako is an excellent template system, but you'll have a lot of work to
do making it into a reporting system.

Aug 8 '07 #6

P: n/a
On Aug 8, 4:57 pm, Jon Rosebaugh <j...@turnthepage.orgwrote:
On 2007-08-07 23:35:26 -0500, Madhu Alagu <alma...@gmail.comsaid:
Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).Ilike to use simple and
python default module...

Mako is an excellent template system, but you'll have a lot of work to
do making it into a reporting system.


Any reporting template in python ?

Aug 12 '07 #7

P: n/a
Madhu Alagu wrote:
On Aug 8, 4:57 pm, Jon Rosebaugh <j...@turnthepage.orgwrote:
>On 2007-08-07 23:35:26 -0500, Madhu Alagu <alma...@gmail.comsaid:
>>Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).Ilike to use simple and
python default module...
Mako is an excellent template system, but you'll have a lot of work to
do making it into a reporting system.

Any reporting template in python ?
Dabo (www.dabodev.com) is certainly heading that way, but I am not sure
how far it's got yet.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
--------------- Asciimercial ------------------
Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
Many services currently offer free registration
----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

Aug 12 '07 #8

P: n/a
Steve Holden wrote:
Madhu Alagu wrote:
>On Aug 8, 4:57 pm, Jon Rosebaugh <j...@turnthepage.orgwrote:
>>On 2007-08-07 23:35:26 -0500, Madhu Alagu <alma...@gmail.comsaid:

Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).Ilike to use simple and
python default module...
Mako is an excellent template system, but you'll have a lot of work to
do making it into a reporting system.


Any reporting template in python ?

Dabo (www.dabodev.com) is certainly heading that way, but I am not sure
how far it's got yet.
Sorry, Dabo isn't web-based. You could look at Kid, Genshi, Cheetah, ...

Or you could do a Google search for "python web template" and see what
comes up. There are many good contenders.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
--------------- Asciimercial ------------------
Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
Many services currently offer free registration
----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

Aug 12 '07 #9

P: n/a
On 2007-08-12 06:08:49 -0500, Steve Holden <st***@holdenweb.comsaid:
Steve Holden wrote:
>Madhu Alagu wrote:
>>On Aug 8, 4:57 pm, Jon Rosebaugh <j...@turnthepage.orgwrote:
On 2007-08-07 23:35:26 -0500, Madhu Alagu <alma...@gmail.comsaid:

Thanking so much for all the informations and links.I would like to
use Mako Templates(www.makotemplates.org).Ilike to use simple and
python default module...
Mako is an excellent template system, but you'll have a lot of work to
do making it into a reporting system.
Any reporting template in python ?

Dabo (www.dabodev.com) is certainly heading that way, but I am not sure
how far it's got yet.
Sorry, Dabo isn't web-based. You could look at Kid, Genshi, Cheetah, ...

Or you could do a Google search for "python web template" and see what
comes up. There are many good contenders.
Sure, but again, these aren't reporting engines; they're just template
engines. And I don't think any of the web template engines have PDF
output.

Aug 12 '07 #10

P: n/a
Jon Rosebaugh wrote:
Sure, but again, these aren't reporting engines; they're just template
engines. And I don't think any of the web template engines have PDF
output.
I generate my PDFs with Genshi / Kid and ReportLab. For the markup
processing I use z3c.rml.

Works flawlessly.
Aug 12 '07 #11

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.