471,123 Members | 866 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,123 software developers and data experts.

Python editor

No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.

I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R, http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
with the R language, http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.

I have recently decided to move this project to Python instead of R.
However, I miss the interaction with the shell a la Tinn-R. Do any of
the Python editors support this feature? I would be especially
interested in using IPython as the shell.

jab

Feb 6 '07 #1
7 3155
BBands a écrit :
No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.

I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R, http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
with the R language, http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.

I have recently decided to move this project to Python instead of R.
However, I miss the interaction with the shell a la Tinn-R. Do any of
the Python editors support this feature? I would be especially
interested in using IPython as the shell.
emacs

Feb 6 '07 #2
BBands wrote:
No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.

I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R, http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
with the R language, http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.

I have recently decided to move this project to Python instead of R.
However, I miss the interaction with the shell a la Tinn-R. Do any of
the Python editors support this feature?
I think PyScripter and SPE both have these features and much more.

cheers,
Stef Mientki
Feb 6 '07 #3
On Feb 6, 11:01 pm, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nos...@mailbox.kun.nl>
wrote:
BBands wrote:
No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.
I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R,http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
with the R language,http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.
In SPE you can use Edit>Execute in shell (Shift+Ctrl+E). If there is
nothing selected SPE will run the whole script.

Stani
Feb 7 '07 #4
st********@gmail.com wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:01 pm, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nos...@mailbox.kun.nl>
wrote:
>BBands wrote:
>>No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.
>>I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R,http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
with the R language,http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.

In SPE you can use Edit>Execute in shell (Shift+Ctrl+E). If there is
nothing selected SPE will run the whole script.

Stani

hi Stani,

it's hard to get your hands on the SPE editor,
bad links, server not available etc.

When you finally got it,
it crashes a lot (at least at my place).

And it's even impossible to get a manual,
to see if there's a course for these crashes ;-)

I read about a free manual with adds,
but I can find it no-where.
And before I pay for the real manual,
I want to see it running for at least 5 minutes ;-)

So despite the potentials of SPE look very good,
I keep myself to PyScripter ;-)

cheers,
Stef
Feb 7 '07 #5
Maybe you can try ulipad.

--
I like python!
UliPad <<The Python Editor>>: http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou
Feb 7 '07 #6
limodou wrote:
Maybe you can try ulipad.
thanks,
although it doesn't look bad,
and it certainly must have been a huge job doing this with Tcl/Tk,
I don't think it can compete with PyScripter,
except on Linux ;-)

succes,
cheers,
Stef Mientki
Feb 7 '07 #7
On 2/8/07, Stef Mientki <S.**************@mailbox.kun.nlwrote:
limodou wrote:
Maybe you can try ulipad.
thanks,
although it doesn't look bad,
and it certainly must have been a huge job doing this with Tcl/Tk,
You are wrong, UliPad is based on wxPython, but not Tcl/Tk.
I don't think it can compete with PyScripter,
except on Linux ;-)
Have you try it? It has many features.

--
I like python!
UliPad <<The Python Editor>>: http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/UliPad
My Blog: http://www.donews.net/limodou
Feb 8 '07 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

145 posts views Thread by David MacQuigg | last post: by
147 posts views Thread by Sateesh | last post: by
30 posts views Thread by bblais | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by JAG CHAN | last post: by
122 posts views Thread by Edward Diener No Spam | last post: by
852 posts views Thread by Mark Tarver | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by why? | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.