473,231 Members | 1,399 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,231 software developers and data experts.

AN Intorduction to Tkinter

Hi,

I'm too lazy to retype my "problem", so here's the message I sent to
the py2exe mailing list (not quite the right place, but thankfully, I
was redirected here...)

I know that the most known tkinter intro guide at the time is "An
Intorduction to Tkinter" by Frederick Lundh, but after trying some of
the examples, I noticed that they did not work, and questioned what
version of tkinter it was written for. When I saw that it was written
(actually, copyrighted) in 1999, I figured that a new(er) version of
Tkinter had come out since then, changing how some of the code examples

work.

Does anybody know of a guide as comprehensive as this, but written for
one of the more recent Tkinter modules?

Thanks for your help!

Tanner

Sep 26 '06 #1
15 1983
fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
I know that the most known tkinter intro guide at the time is "An
Intorduction to Tkinter" by Frederick Lundh, but after trying some of
the examples, I noticed that they did not work
what examples are this ? are you sure it's not a problem with your IDE
rather than a problem with Tkinter ?

</F>

Sep 26 '06 #2

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
I know that the most known tkinter intro guide at the time is "An
Intorduction to Tkinter" by Frederick Lundh, but after trying some of
the examples, I noticed that they did not work

what examples are this ? are you sure it's not a problem with your IDE
rather than a problem with Tkinter ?
I told you so. ;-)

Tis question was just asked on the py2exe mailing list. I predicted
that if it was asked here, you would respond asking exactly which
examples didn't work. :-p
Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/index.shtml
>
</F>
Sep 26 '06 #3
Tis question was just asked on the py2exe mailing list. I predicted
that if it was asked here, you would respond asking exactly which
examples didn't work. :-p
Right you were :-)

Just want to learn what I already know as a great programming
interface(?)/language...

Tanner

Sep 27 '06 #4

fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
Tis question was just asked on the py2exe mailing list. I predicted
that if it was asked here, you would respond asking exactly which
examples didn't work. :-p

Right you were :-)

Just want to learn what I already know as a great programming
interface(?)/language...
In that case, don't burn bandwith by banal banter, post the examples!

Sep 27 '06 #5
"John Machin" <sj******@lexicon.netwrote:

<snip>
In that case, don't burn bandwith by banal banter, post the examples!

+1 here - Hendrik

Sep 27 '06 #6
The following is the answer I gave on py**********@lists.sourceforge.net. Perhaps Fredrik can elaborate on the status of different versions of his excellent publication.
Tanner Ruschman wrote about "An Introduction to Tkinter" by Fredrik Lundh:
When I saw that it was written
(actually, copyrighted) in 1999, I figured that a new(er) version of
Tkinter had come out since then, changing how some of the code examples
work.

Does anybody know of a guide as comprehensive as this, but written for
one of the more recent Tkinter modules?
You probably mean

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

which is copyrighted 1999. There is also

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

which I think is the most recent version of it. It states that it is
last updated in November 2005.

HTH
/Mikael Olofsson

Universitetslektor (Senior Lecturer [BrE], Associate Professor [AmE])
Linköpings universitet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-Mail: mi****@isy.liu.se
WWW: http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/en/staff/mikael
Phone: +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343
Telefax: +46 - (0)13 - 28 1339
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Linköpings kammarkör: www.kammarkoren.com Vi söker tenorer och basar!

Sep 27 '06 #7
Mikael Olofsson wrote:
You probably mean

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

which is copyrighted 1999. There is also

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

which I think is the most recent version of it. It states that it is
last updated in November 2005.
the samples in both editions works perfectly fine on all versions of
Python published since 1999 (afaik, most of the introductory samples are
identical in those versions; it's the reference pages that's been over-
hauled).

</F>

Sep 27 '06 #8

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
Mikael Olofsson wrote:
You probably mean

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

which is copyrighted 1999. There is also

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

which I think is the most recent version of it. It states that it is
last updated in November 2005.

the samples in both editions works perfectly fine on all versions of
Python published since 1999 (afaik, most of the introductory samples are
identical in those versions; it's the reference pages that's been over-
hauled).

</F>
Ok, again, thanks for the help, I'm somewhat new to python, along with
Tkinter.

If anybody has some really good sites with examples of Tkinter programs
and stuff, please share :)

Tanner

ps: who keeps giving out the bad reviews to posts?

Sep 27 '06 #9
....
>
If anybody has some really good sites with examples of Tkinter programs
and stuff, please share :)
....

You should really pay attention to people's reply to your questions if
you want help ;-)

In this case meaning, that you should show what type of problem you are
getting.

Since the examples out of An Introduction to Tkinter work, what else
could be useful to you is hard to guess.

jean-marc

Sep 28 '06 #10
Since the examples out of An Introduction to Tkinter work, what else
could be useful to you is hard to guess.

Basically, any kind of program using Tkinter, and has some sort of
usefulness

btw, I DO look at signatures believe it or not, and already (as in
before I even read this post) I have come across a very good site :)

Tanner

Sep 29 '06 #11
fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
>Since the examples out of An Introduction to Tkinter work, what else
could be useful to you is hard to guess.

Basically, any kind of program using Tkinter, and has some sort of
usefulness
you don't seem to have noticed, but you *still* haven't explained what
examples you tried, and *how* they failed on your machine.

</F>

Sep 29 '06 #12
Sorry about that.

As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules. Sorry about misleading you.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon again. In
fact...

FlyingIsFun1217

Oct 1 '06 #13
fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules.
as in ?

you've posted five posts to this thread, but you still haven't provided
us with more clues than "I noticed they didn't work" and "I think it's
something with some module". don't you think it would be easier to help
you if you actually explained what you did, what you expected to happen,
and what happened instead ?

</F>

Oct 1 '06 #14
Fredrik Lundh wrote:
fl*************@gmail.com wrote:

>>As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules.


as in ?

you've posted five posts to this thread, but you still haven't provided
us with more clues than "I noticed they didn't work" and "I think it's
something with some module". don't you think it would be easier to help
you if you actually explained what you did, what you expected to happen,
and what happened instead ?

</F>
Can the effbot really have been taken in by a troll? Or does the troll
not realise it's a troll?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
Skype: holdenweb http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
Recent Ramblings http://del.icio.us/steve.holden

Oct 1 '06 #15

fl*************@gmail.com wrote:
Sorry about that.

As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules. Sorry about misleading you.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon again. In
fact...
Unless you post the following, no-one is able to help you :

* Which examples you have a problem with
* What code you actually ran (and how you ran it - inside IDLE, at the
command line)
* What went wrong, or the full traceback of the error

For what it's worth, I've found the following resources useful for
Tkinter :

http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/index.html
http://www.python.org/doc/life-preserver/
http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/
http://www.3dartist.com/WP/python/tknotes.htm

All the best,
Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk
>
FlyingIsFun1217
Oct 1 '06 #16

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
by: Josh | last post by:
Caution, newbie approaching... I'm trying to come up with a very simple Tkinter test application that consists of a window with a drop-down menu bar at the top and a grid of colored rectangles...
3
by: srijit | last post by:
Hello, Any idea - why the following code crashes on my Win 98 machine with Python 2.3? Everytime I run this code, I have to reboot my machine. I also have Win32all-157 installed. from Tkinter...
1
by: syed_saqib_ali | last post by:
Please take a look at and run the code snippet shown below. It creates a canvas with vertical & Horizontal scroll-bars. If you shrink the window to smaller than the area of the canvas, the...
0
by: syed_saqib_ali | last post by:
Below is a simple code snippet showing a Tkinter Window bearing a canvas and 2 connected scrollbars (Vertical & Horizontal). Works fine. When you shrink/resize the window the scrollbars adjust...
1
by: Michael Yanowitz | last post by:
Hello: Below I have included a stripped down version of the GUI I am working on. It contains 2 dialog boxes - one main and one settings. It has the following problems, probably all related, that...
3
by: dwelch91 | last post by:
I'm trying unsuccessfully to do something in Tk that I though would be easy. After Googling this all day, I think I need some help. I am admittedly very novice with Tk (I started with it...
1
by: yvesd | last post by:
hello i want to intercept tkinter python system events like wm_delete_window and if possible for any window, but the newest code I've produced give me an error : Traceback (most recent call...
8
by: karthikbalaguru | last post by:
Hi, One of my python program needs tkinter to be installed to run successfully. I am using Redhat 9.0 and hence tried installing by copying the tkinter-2.2.2-36.i386.rpm alone from the CD 3 to...
3
by: joshdw4 | last post by:
I hate to do this, but I've thoroughly exhausted google search. Yes, it's that pesky root window and I have tried withdraw to no avail. I'm assuming this is because of the methods I'm using. I...
0
by: VivesProcSPL | last post by:
Obviously, one of the original purposes of SQL is to make data query processing easy. The language uses many English-like terms and syntax in an effort to make it easy to learn, particularly for...
0
by: jianzs | last post by:
Introduction Cloud-native applications are conventionally identified as those designed and nurtured on cloud infrastructure. Such applications, rooted in cloud technologies, skillfully benefit from...
0
by: abbasky | last post by:
### Vandf component communication method one: data sharing ​ Vandf components can achieve data exchange through data sharing, state sharing, events, and other methods. Vandf's data exchange method...
2
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 7 Feb 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:30 (7.30PM). In this month's session, the creator of the excellent VBE...
0
by: stefan129 | last post by:
Hey forum members, I'm exploring options for SSL certificates for multiple domains. Has anyone had experience with multi-domain SSL certificates? Any recommendations on reliable providers or specific...
0
Git
by: egorbl4 | last post by:
Скачал я git, хотел начать настройку, а там вылезло вот это Что это? Что мне с этим делать? ...
1
by: davi5007 | last post by:
Hi, Basically, I am trying to automate a field named TraceabilityNo into a web page from an access form. I've got the serial held in the variable strSearchString. How can I get this into the...
0
by: MeoLessi9 | last post by:
I have VirtualBox installed on Windows 11 and now I would like to install Kali on a virtual machine. However, on the official website, I see two options: "Installer images" and "Virtual machines"....
0
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.