By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,563 Members | 1,307 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,563 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

anybody using python 2.5 that raises error while importing?

P: n/a
there's a dll extension used to be imported with no error under version
2.4.3, but the new python complains that the name of the module can't
be found. seems not mentioned in the official documentation, any work
around to fix the issue without switching back to the old version?

tks..
daniel

Sep 22 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a

daniel wrote:
there's a dll extension used to be imported with no error under version
2.4.3, but the new python complains that the name of the module can't
be found. seems not mentioned in the official documentation, any work
around to fix the issue without switching back to the old version?
Did/does its name end in .dll or in .pyd?
Have you procured a new one (necessary when there's a change of minor
version number) and installed it in the right place?
Can you tell us the name of the module, and the path to the DLL/PYD
that is/was imported by Python 2.4?
Have you contacted the author(s) of the module?
Have you installed Python 2.5 in its own directory e.g. c:\python25
(the default)? Python 2.4, same question? Have you uninstalled 2.4?

Regards,
John

Sep 22 '06 #2

P: n/a

John Machin wrote:
daniel wrote:
there's a dll extension used to be imported with no error under version
2.4.3, but the new python complains that the name of the module can't
be found. seems not mentioned in the official documentation, any work
around to fix the issue without switching back to the old version?
thank you for your reply..
Did/does its name end in .dll or in .pyd?
It ends in .dll
Have you procured a new one (necessary when there's a change of minor
version number) and installed it in the right place?
My output of "python -V" shows 2.5c2
Can you tell us the name of the module, and the path to the DLL/PYD
The dll is distributed with a third party library, it claimed to be
compatible with 2.4, It was installed at "d:\" on my box, and the path
had been added to my PYTHONPATH variable.
that is/was imported by Python 2.4?
yep, it works very well with python 2.4, so, I'm just wondering if
there is a fix for using with 2.5
Have you contacted the author(s) of the module?
uh.. not yet, because they clearly mentioned that in the doc.
Have you installed Python 2.5 in its own directory e.g. c:\python25
(the default)? Python 2.4, same question? Have you uninstalled 2.4?
I already uninstalled the version 2.4. and put python25 in drive "d:".
there's probably no problem with my environment variables, maybe I
should check for a updated version of python.

thanks again.

daniel
>
Regards,
John
Sep 23 '06 #3

P: n/a

daniel wrote:
John Machin wrote:
daniel wrote:
there's a dll extension used to be imported with no error under version
2.4.3, but the new python complains that the name of the module can't
be found. seems not mentioned in the official documentation, any work
around to fix the issue without switching back to the old version?
thank you for your reply..
Did/does its name end in .dll or in .pyd?
It ends in .dll
Have you procured a new one (necessary when there's a change of minor
version number) and installed it in the right place?
My output of "python -V" shows 2.5c2
Huh? The question was in effect "Have you obtained a NEW version of the
*DLL*?" This is necessary when you upgrade from Python 2.4 to Python
2.5.
>
Can you tell us the name of the module, and the path to the DLL/PYD
The dll is distributed with a third party library, it claimed to be
compatible with 2.4, It was installed at "d:\" on my box, and the path
had been added to my PYTHONPATH variable.
Do you mean that the full path to the module was
d:\the_module_name.dll
?
>
that is/was imported by Python 2.4?
yep, it works very well with python 2.4, so, I'm just wondering if
there is a fix for using with 2.5
No, you can't use a 2.4-compatible binary module with 2.5.
>
Have you contacted the author(s) of the module?
uh.. not yet, because they clearly mentioned that in the doc.
They clearly mentioned *what* in the doc?

Have they yet announced availibility of a 2.5-supported version of
their software?

Have you installed Python 2.5 in its own directory e.g. c:\python25
(the default)? Python 2.4, same question? Have you uninstalled 2.4?
I already uninstalled the version 2.4. and put python25 in drive "d:".
there's probably no problem with my environment variables, maybe I
should check for a updated version of python.
Huh, again? Firstly, 2.5 final has been released -- you should really
subscribe to the python-announce mailing list so that you don't need to
"check for" major events.
Secondly, upgrading from 2.5c2 to 2.5 is generally a good thing, but it
won't solve your "missing dll" problem.
>From 2.5 onwards, a Python extension module must be named .pyd, it
can't be named .dll. You could try renaming it, but you are likely to
get this error when you try to import it in 2.5:
ImportError: Module use of python24.dll conflicts with this version
of Python.
IOW, the version compatibility problem.

Bottom line: you need to get an updated extension module from the
software supplier.

HTH,
John

Sep 23 '06 #4

P: n/a
thank you so much for your help..
I've got no idea about pyd or dll stuff, started to learn python just
several weeks ago.
so the implementation rules of python extension module must have been
changed, for now, I have to wait for the new release of that module and
switch back to python 2.4 to get my work done.

thanks again..

daniel

Sep 23 '06 #5

P: n/a
Dennis Lee Bieber schrieb:
On 23 Sep 2006 09:24:09 -0700, "daniel" <da*************@gmail.com>
declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>so the implementation rules of python extension module must have been
changed, for now, I have to wait for the new release of that module and

No change... For YEARS the rule has been: Changes in the first
decimal place (version m.n.o - if "n" changes, new binaries are needed;
changes in "o" are just bug fixes and don't change the binary interface;
abandon all hope if "m" changes <G>) of a Python version almost ALWAYS
require 3rd party binary extensions to be rebuilt.
You should read the entire thread. He couldn't import the extension
module because it ends in .dll; this was a change introduced in Python
2.5: the module must end in .pyd now. That rule had not been there
for YEARS.

Of course, had he renamed the file, it then would have complained
that he's running a 2.4 extension module in 2.5; *that* rule had
been there for YEARS.

Regards,
Martin
Sep 23 '06 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.