By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
445,678 Members | 1,146 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 445,678 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

strange DOM behaviour when using minidom

P: n/a
Hello, I have a really strange problem. I'm unable to figure it out on
my own.

I parse very simple xml documents, without any check for their form.
These files look very similar and are encoded in UTF-8.

Now minidom is always able to parse these files with
minidom.parse("file") .
Now when fetching I use this expression:
xmldoc.getElementsByTagName('DocNumb')[0].firstChild.data.encode('latin1')

(I know it's not beautiful but convenient. )

It always work, but sometimes it simply fails to fetch any element.
Redoing it from hand in the python console with the same file always
works.

I have no idea what the error is. I compared working and not working
files with the hex editor. I couldn't find any significant change. It's
too strange. If anybody has any clue, hint or anything, please let me
know.

Regards, Jonatan

Sep 11 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
Sorry, I just found the error. Simple an empty attribute. Python showed
me strange row numbers. I used a multi line initialization of a dict.
The error always appeared on the first line although I was on an other
line.

Interesting behavior.

Jonatan

JoReiners schrieb:
Hello, I have a really strange problem. I'm unable to figure it out on
my own.

I parse very simple xml documents, without any check for their form.
These files look very similar and are encoded in UTF-8.

Now minidom is always able to parse these files with
minidom.parse("file") .
Now when fetching I use this expression:
xmldoc.getElementsByTagName('DocNumb')[0].firstChild.data.encode('latin1')

(I know it's not beautiful but convenient. )

It always work, but sometimes it simply fails to fetch any element.
Redoing it from hand in the python console with the same file always
works.

I have no idea what the error is. I compared working and not working
files with the hex editor. I couldn't find any significant change. It's
too strange. If anybody has any clue, hint or anything, please let me
know.

Regards, Jonatan
Sep 11 '06 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.