468,306 Members | 1,185 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,306 developers. It's quick & easy.

drag and drop to icon

I have a small problem that may be best solved by dragging and dropping
a mail message to an icon. But I'm honestly not sure what the data will
look like from different e-mail clients. Since most of my programming
experience is something a user rarely sees, I'm not even sure where to
start creating a test case.

I would appreciate pointers to documentation (and yes I did Google
before asking) how to create an icon on a desktop (Macintosh and
Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.

many thanks for any assistance

---eric

Apr 12 '06 #1
3 1790
Eric S. Johansson wrote:
I have a small problem that may be best solved by dragging and dropping
a mail message to an icon. But I'm honestly not sure what the data will
look like from different e-mail clients. Since most of my programming
experience is something a user rarely sees, I'm not even sure where to
start creating a test case.

I would appreciate pointers to documentation (and yes I did Google
before asking) how to create an icon on a desktop (Macintosh and
Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.


Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop

will certainly help.

HTH,

Diez
Apr 12 '06 #2
Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
Eric S. Johansson wrote:
Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop

will certainly help.


it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.

---eric

Apr 12 '06 #3
Eric S. Johansson wrote:
it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.


They might include some default-dnd stuff, e.g. dragging text around. But
ususally, one has to do all sorts funky "I'm ineterested in this, but not
that"-registration stuff.

diez
Apr 12 '06 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

2 posts views Thread by SamSpade | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Qingdong Z. | last post: by
14 posts views Thread by Nathan | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Kevin L | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by bob | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
reply views Thread by Teichintx | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.