By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,099 Members | 2,144 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,099 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Better console for Windows?

P: n/a
This is a pretty basic, mostly un-python-related question, although I'm
asking because of Python.

Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
very few characters.

Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
a way to turn it off. This is a huge problem because I cannot disable
my system speaker on my laptop (not even in BIOS like my old one, and
it's an "error", it bypasses the fact that all my sound is muted in
Windows) and I get incredibly loud beeps all the time (because I suck)
which would not be acceptable while I'm coding on the sly in boring
class.

Ideas? The only thing I can think of now is using Putty to SSH into a
machine, no beeps there, and I can resize... but I don't have a machine
to SSH into, much less one with all the stuff I want on it.

Thanks in advance.
Brett

Jul 19 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
20 Replies


P: n/a
Brett Hoerner wrote:
Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
a way to turn it off. This is a huge problem because I cannot disable
my system speaker on my laptop (not even in BIOS like my old one, and
it's an "error", it bypasses the fact that all my sound is muted in
Windows) and I get incredibly loud beeps all the time (because I suck)
which would not be acceptable while I'm coding on the sly in boring
class.


I know that problem... it's extremely annoying!
Here's one way to solve it;

1. Start 'Device manager'.
2. On the menu, click 'View' and check off "Show hidden devices"
3. Locate 'Beep' 'under Non-Plug and Play Drivers'
4. Right-click 'Beep', select 'Disable'

Jul 19 '05 #2

P: n/a
Brett Hoerner wrote:
This is a pretty basic, mostly un-python-related question, although I'm
asking because of Python.

Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
very few characters.


I don't know if you absolutely want a shell, but if what you want is a
Python interactive prompt, I find PyShell coming with wxPython really
nice. It has autocompletion and support copy-paste with/without the
preceding >>>.

Regards,
Nicolas

Jul 19 '05 #3

P: n/a
Rune Strand wrote:
I know that problem... it's extremely annoying!
Here's one way to solve it;

1. Start 'Device manager'.
2. On the menu, click 'View' and check off "Show hidden devices"
3. Locate 'Beep' 'under Non-Plug and Play Drivers'
4. Right-click 'Beep', select 'Disable'


Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.

Well, that solves my sound problem (thanks again), now if only I could
stretch the window horizontally. Thats much less of a problem though,
this is at least usable now.

Thanks again, Rune

Jul 19 '05 #4

P: n/a
Brett Hoerner wrote:
Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
very few characters.


To make the console full screen hit Alt-Enter. The same thing makes it
windowed again. To accommodate very long lines click the "C:\" icon in
the upper left corner of the window, choose "Properties" and then change
the "Screen Buffer Size" Width and Height to something more to your liking.

While you're there I'd recommend turning on "QuickEdit Mode" on the
"Options" tab. Then you can drag with your left mouse button to select
an area of text, right click to copy, then right click again to paste.
--
Benji York
Jul 19 '05 #5

P: n/a
Benji York wrote:
To make the console full screen hit Alt-Enter. The same thing makes it
windowed again. To accommodate very long lines click the "C:\" icon in
the upper left corner of the window, choose "Properties" and then change
the "Screen Buffer Size" Width and Height to something more to your liking.

While you're there I'd recommend turning on "QuickEdit Mode" on the
"Options" tab. Then you can drag with your left mouse button to select
an area of text, right click to copy, then right click again to paste.


Thanks very much, not sure why I always missed those. I guess I was
just frustrated in general. This will make python a lot more
enjoyable.

Brett

Jul 19 '05 #6

P: n/a
Hi,

You might want to check out ipyhton.

http://ipython.scipy.org

Regards,

Philippe
Brett Hoerner wrote:
This is a pretty basic, mostly un-python-related question, although I'm
asking because of Python.

Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
very few characters.

Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
a way to turn it off. This is a huge problem because I cannot disable
my system speaker on my laptop (not even in BIOS like my old one, and
it's an "error", it bypasses the fact that all my sound is muted in
Windows) and I get incredibly loud beeps all the time (because I suck)
which would not be acceptable while I'm coding on the sly in boring
class.

Ideas? The only thing I can think of now is using Putty to SSH into a
machine, no beeps there, and I can resize... but I don't have a machine
to SSH into, much less one with all the stuff I want on it.

Thanks in advance.
Brett


Jul 19 '05 #7

P: n/a


Philippe C. Martin wrote:
You might want to check out ipyhton.


I use it. :) I love it. When I meant console I meant the shell app
that runs any text-based programs. The windows console was giving me
loud beeps, etc, which I've now fixed.

Thanks for your reply though,
Brett

Jul 19 '05 #8

P: n/a
Ho!

I thought the shell commands in ipython (cd, lx ....) might cut it.

Regards,

Philippe

Brett Hoerner wrote:


Philippe C. Martin wrote:
You might want to check out ipyhton.


I use it. :) I love it. When I meant console I meant the shell app
that runs any text-based programs. The windows console was giving me
loud beeps, etc, which I've now fixed.

Thanks for your reply though,
Brett


Jul 19 '05 #9

P: n/a

Annoyed by windows? Check this URL:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category01

;-)

Jul 19 '05 #10

P: n/a
On 27 Jun 2005 20:13:41 -0700, rumours say that "Brett Hoerner"
<br**********@gmail.com> might have written:
Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.
When you agree to the EULA of Windows, you implicitly say yes to "do you
want to be annoyed"?
Well, that solves my sound problem (thanks again), now if only I could
stretch the window horizontally. Thats much less of a problem though,
this is at least usable now.


Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
Size, Width.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Dear Paul,
please stop spamming us."
The Corinthians
Jul 19 '05 #11

P: n/a
* Brett Hoerner (2005-06-28 03:44 +0100)
Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in [...]
Holy snake, are you running command.com?! Throw away your Windows 3.11
computer and start using cmd.exe.
Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
a way to turn it off.


Use rxvt (Cygwin).
Thorsten
Jul 19 '05 #12

P: n/a
The alt-enter tip is handy, although I must say on multiple monitors
it's not so helpful. It full screens all of them (cloned across
screens), at least on my nVidia card. I'm sure you're all sympathizing
with my multiple monitor problem ;-)

Jul 19 '05 #13

P: n/a
On Tue, 27 Jun 2005, Brett Hoerner wrote:
Rune Strand wrote:

Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.


What, and not install if you say no?

Perhaps your best way to get a proper shell on windows is just to install
a proper shell; Cygwin (<http://www.cygwin.com/>) has bash, but it also
installs a bunch of other unixish stuff you might or might not want. This:

http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/

looks like a standalone bash, plus ls, mv, cp rm, chmod and less. Here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

you can get various further bits of free software compiled for windows,
including:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

the GNU coreutils, which is the 1% of commands you use 99% of the time.
bash + coreutils should do nicely. For a mostly complete GNU development
toolchain, check out MinGW:

http://www.mingw.org/

Which, IMHO, is a better solution than Cygwin for general programming.

tom

--
i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean
Jul 19 '05 #14

P: n/a

[Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
Size, Width.


Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

--
Richie Hindle
ri****@entrian.com

Jul 19 '05 #15

P: n/a
* Richie Hindle (2005-06-28 14:44 +0100)
[Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
Size, Width.


Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?


[Shift+PageUp/Down]: rxvt (Cywin). Unfortunately only per page; if you
want to scroll one line you have to use the scrollbar.
Jul 19 '05 #16

P: n/a
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:44:21 +0100, rumours say that Richie Hindle
<ri****@entrian.com> might have written:
Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?


This comparison page suggests there is no keyboard shortcut to scroll:

http://www.xvsxp.com/power_user/terminal/
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Dear Paul,
please stop spamming us."
The Corinthians
Jul 19 '05 #17

P: n/a
Brett Hoerner wrote:
Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
very few characters.


I have a pretty exotic setup but I like it a lot. I use Konsole with
Cygwin and the KDE release for Cygwin (that's the only part of KDE that
I use). I love Konsole's tabbed virtual terminals. You can also get
tabbed virtual terminals with mrxvt, which isn't quite so heavyweight,
but Konsole is the most user-friendly terminal I've ever used.

And on top of that, I run emacs, pull up a shell with M-x shell, and
then I can run any program I want, including Python and Jython, and
freely cut and paste between the command line and my editor window.

As far as the beeps go, I go for any "silent bell" option I can find,
and pick the "No sounds" theme in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control
panel.

Dave
Jul 19 '05 #18

P: n/a
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:44:21 +0100, Richie Hindle <ri****@entrian.com> wrote:

[Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
Size, Width.


Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

Alt-spacebar, e, l, (uparrow/downarrow)*, Esc
(lower case L)--^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--does the scrolling. Esc ends the scrolling mode.

Seems to work for cmd.exe on NT4

Regards,
Bengt Richter
Jul 19 '05 #19

P: n/a
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:55:43 GMT, rumours say that bo**@oz.net (Bengt
Richter) might have written:
Alt-spacebar, e, l, (uparrow/downarrow)*, Esc
(lower case L)--^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--does the scrolling. Esc ends the scrolling mode.
Damn! it says Scroll in there in the system menu, doesn't it? Talk
about blindness...
Seems to work for cmd.exe on NT4


XP too.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Dear Paul,
please stop spamming us."
The Corinthians
Jul 19 '05 #20

P: n/a

[Richie]
does anyone know of a way to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?
[Bengt] Alt-spacebar, e, l, (uparrow/downarrow)*, Esc
(lower case L)--^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--does the scrolling. Esc ends the scrolling mode.
[Christos] Damn! it says Scroll in there in the system menu, doesn't it? Talk
about blindness...


<aol>Me too!</aol>

Many thanks, Bengt.

--
Richie Hindle
ri****@entrian.com

Jul 21 '05 #21

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.