By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,171 Members | 809 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,171 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

fastest postgresql module

P: n/a
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and i
have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.
Jul 18 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
Timothy Smith skrev:
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
i have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.


You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
just another global village idiot
Jul 18 '05 #2

P: n/a
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
Timothy Smith skrev:
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
i have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.


You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.

my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?
Jul 18 '05 #3

P: n/a
Timothy Smith skrev:
my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32
port?


Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen
just another global village idiot
Jul 18 '05 #4

P: n/a
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
Timothy Smith skrev:
my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32
port?


Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)

my app has to be multiplatform, but i would gladly rip windows from the
drives of every computer with my bare hands.
Jul 18 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:31:45AM +1000, Timothy Smith wrote:
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
Timothy Smith skrev:
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
i have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.


You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.

my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?


It has one now.

But (of course depending on your query), your issue is not dependant on
the particular PostgreSQL, I think.

You'll probably also have it with executing a plain vanilla script via
psql.

-- Gerhard

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFCOhzbdIO4ozGCH14RAvyLAJ9oL1hN4zgQ4D/3FHenvJWqsbCJ7gCgwiVx
8hxp/lCygeqFJ1Jiwm2IW7Y=
=Xtq3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jul 18 '05 #6

P: n/a
With the round-trip time of 245ms, three seconds only allows for
approximately 12 packet exchanges (roughly 24 total packets). I think
latency is your problem.

casevh

Jul 18 '05 #7

P: n/a
> my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?
Not completely true. Since long time ago there is a website with
unofficial psycopg binaries:

http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/psycopg/

Regards,
Josef
Jul 18 '05 #8

P: n/a
In article <ma*************************************@python.or g>,
Timothy Smith <ti*****@open-networks.net> wrote:
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
Timothy Smith skrev:
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
i have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.


You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.

my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?


psycopg is available for win32 (though the development version might not be)
Try:
http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/psycopg/

HTH...
-frank
--
Jul 18 '05 #9

P: n/a
Timothy Smith wrote:
[...] is there anyway i can check
is it true psycopg is much faster or is it all hyperboll


The overhead of psycopg per cursor row is a lot less. So it makes a
difference if you fetch *a lot* of data.

Anyway, if you don't have a performance problem, you don't need to care ;-)

Yes there is a way to try it out, install it and compare :-P

As I said, there is a win32 version of psycopg if that's the only
platform you have access to:

Google - first hit:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=...le-Suche&meta=

=>

http://www.stickpeople.com/projects/python/psycopg/

-- Gerhard
Jul 18 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.