By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
435,453 Members | 3,194 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 435,453 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

numarray question

P: n/a
I tried to initialize a float point array by:

import numarray
xur = numarray.fromfunction(lambda x,y,z:x*y*z, (2, 2, 2))

but I ended up with an integer array even though x, y, and z are all floats.

BTW, how do you unzip NumTut in windows? And is there a newer version?

Thank you
Howard
Jul 18 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
SunX wrote:
I tried to initialize a float point array by:

import numarray
xur = numarray.fromfunction(lambda x,y,z:x*y*z, (2, 2, 2))

but I ended up with an integer array even though x, y, and z are all floats.

BTW, how do you unzip NumTut in windows? And is there a newer version?

Thank you
Howard

You might try something like:

import numarray
xyz= lambda x,y,z:x*y*z
xur = numarray.fromfunction(xyz, (6, 6, 3))
print xur

Jul 18 '05 #2

P: n/a


You probably meant

xyz = lambda x,y,z: float(x*y*z)

or maybe even

xyz = lambda x,y,z: float(x)*float(y)*float(z)
/Jean Brouwers

In article <2f*******************@news20.bellglobal.com>, Colin J.
Williams <cj*@sympatico.ca> wrote:
SunX wrote:
I tried to initialize a float point array by:

import numarray
xur = numarray.fromfunction(lambda x,y,z:x*y*z, (2, 2, 2))

but I ended up with an integer array even though x, y, and z are all floats.

BTW, how do you unzip NumTut in windows? And is there a newer version?

Thank you
Howard

You might try something like:

import numarray
xyz= lambda x,y,z:x*y*z
xur = numarray.fromfunction(xyz, (6, 6, 3))
print xur

Jul 18 '05 #3

P: n/a


Jean Brouwers wrote:

You probably meant

xyz = lambda x,y,z: float(x*y*z)

or maybe even

xyz = lambda x,y,z: float(x)*float(y)*float(z)
/Jean Brouwers

Jean,

You are right, I overlooked SunX's wish to have a Float array.

Unfortunately, numarray assumes that the source is based in
the function indices, which delivers an Int array.

Thus, your suggestion raises an exception. An alternative
is given below.

Colin W.

import numarray
xyz= lambda x,y,z: x*y*z
# This raises an exception
##xur = numarray.fromfunction(xyz, (6, 4, 3))
## File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\numarray\numarraycore.py", line
715, in __float__
## raise TypeError, "Only rank-0 numarray can be cast to floats."
# This gets around that problem
ind= numarray.indices(shape= (6, 4, 3), type= numarray.Float)
xur= apply(xyz, ind)
print xur


In article <2f*******************@news20.bellglobal.com>, Colin J.
Williams <cj*@sympatico.ca> wrote:

SunX wrote:
I tried to initialize a float point array by:

import numarray
xur = numarray.fromfunction(lambda x,y,z:x*y*z, (2, 2, 2))

but I ended up with an integer array even though x, y, and z are all floats.

BTW, how do you unzip NumTut in windows? And is there a newer version?

Thank you
Howard


You might try something like:

import numarray
xyz= lambda x,y,z:x*y*z
xur = numarray.fromfunction(xyz, (6, 6, 3))
print xur


Jul 18 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.