472,984 Members | 2,184 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 472,984 software developers and data experts.

Problem building on BeOS...

For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?

I don't "need" numeric in my current project, but it is a nice package to have!
Apps that do not need to be compiled install and run fine. Actually, SQLite
built and installed fine...

Thanks, in advance.

Mike

Python 2.2.2 (#13, Dec 6 2002, 00:42:47)
[GCC 2.9-beos-991026] on beos5

$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
not copying Lib/ArrayPrinter.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/LinearAlgebra.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/MLab.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Matrix.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Numeric.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Precision.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/RandomArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/UserArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/numeric_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/FFT.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/Statistics.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
running build_ext
building '_numpy' extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -O -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
-I/boot/home/config/include/python2.2 -c Src/_numpymodule.c -o
build/temp.beos-5.0.4-BePC-2.2/_numpymodule.o
In file included from /boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:4:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:234: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:239: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:241: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:244: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:247: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:251: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:253: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:255: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:257: stray '\'
in program
In file included from /boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:6:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:101: stray '\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:103: stray '\'
in program
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
$

Jul 18 '05 #1
9 1450
Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported? In file included from /boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:4:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:234: stray '\'
in program


no knowledge of beos, but maybe your files have the "wrong" line ending
(e.g. \r\n instead of \n or something like that)

Jul 18 '05 #2
Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?


Yes, in combination with the way your source files are structured.

It appears that the line ending convention differs in your source files
from the line endings that gcc expects. E.g. the source files may have
\r\n at the end of a line, whereas your gcc may expect only \n. As
a result, \\\r\n is treated as an escaped \r, which gives a stray \.

I don't know what line ending convention your system uses, or where
you got the sources from, but it appears you need to convert them.

Later versions of gcc support "universal text mode".

Regards,
Martin

Jul 18 '05 #3
Thanks for the reply! I checked in my editor (pe) and it indicates just a
carriage return at the end of the line (visibles and tab stops on).

Mike

In message <bt***********@ulysses.news.tiscali.de>, Uwe Hoffmann wrote:
Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line

continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?

In file included from

/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:4:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:234:

stray '\'
in program


no knowledge of beos, but maybe your files have the "wrong" line ending
(e.g. \r\n instead of \n or something like that)

Jul 18 '05 #4
Hmm. I got the sources directly from sourceforge. I am thinking maybe the
lines are terminated with \r. I think there may be a line termination changing
program somewhere on BeBits... I'll go check!

Thanks!

Mike
In message <bt*************@news.t-online.com>, "Martin_v._Lwis" wrote:
Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line

continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?


Yes, in combination with the way your source files are structured.

It appears that the line ending convention differs in your source files
from the line endings that gcc expects. E.g. the source files may have
\r\n at the end of a line, whereas your gcc may expect only \n. As
a result, \\\r\n is treated as an escaped \r, which gives a stray \.

I don't know what line ending convention your system uses, or where
you got the sources from, but it appears you need to convert them.

Later versions of gcc support "universal text mode".

Regards,
Martin

Jul 18 '05 #5
In article <f8iJb.42537$xX.145398@attbi_s02>,
Zoo Keeper <ca*******@comcast.net> wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I checked in my editor (pe) and it indicates just a
carriage return at the end of the line (visibles and tab stops on).


I've never used pe. I would hope it doesn't do that, but to say
for sure I'd run the file through "od". Like,
$ fgrep '\' arrayobject.h | od -a

If you see anything between "\" and "nl", that's your problem.

Donn Cave, do**@u.washington.edu
Jul 18 '05 #6
O.K! After some tips from you folks, I found that the problem ONLY occurs with
line continuation in "extern" statements. Works fine for DEFINEs...

Mike

In message <NLhJb.31440$I07.78784@attbi_s53>, Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?

I don't "need" numeric in my current project, but it is a nice package to
have!
Apps that do not need to be compiled install and run fine. Actually,
SQLite
built and installed fine...

Thanks, in advance.

Mike

Python 2.2.2 (#13, Dec 6 2002, 00:42:47)
[GCC 2.9-beos-991026] on beos5

$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
not copying Lib/ArrayPrinter.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/LinearAlgebra.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/MLab.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Matrix.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Numeric.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Precision.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/RandomArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/UserArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/numeric_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/FFT.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/Statistics.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
running build_ext
building '_numpy' extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -O -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
-I/boot/home/config/include/python2.2 -c Src/_numpymodule.c -o
build/temp.beos-5.0.4-BePC-2.2/_numpymodule.o
In file included from
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:4:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:234: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:239: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:241: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:244: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:247: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:251: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:253: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:255: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:257: stray
'\'
in program
In file included from
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:6:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:101: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:103: stray
'\'
in program
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
$

Jul 18 '05 #7
Is there a way to strip'em? I see "cr nl". :/

Mike

In message <do************************@nntp1.u.washington.edu >, Donn Cave
wrote:
In article <f8iJb.42537$xX.145398@attbi_s02>,
Zoo Keeper <ca*******@comcast.net> wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I checked in my editor (pe) and it indicates just a
carriage return at the end of the line (visibles and tab stops on).


I've never used pe. I would hope it doesn't do that, but to say
for sure I'd run the file through "od". Like,
$ fgrep '\' arrayobject.h | od -a

If you see anything between "\" and "nl", that's your problem.

Donn Cave, do**@u.washington.edu

Jul 18 '05 #8
Belay that.

In message <BvjJb.717712$HS4.5166026@attbi_s01>, Zoo Keeper wrote:
O.K! After some tips from you folks, I found that the problem ONLY occurs
with
line continuation in "extern" statements. Works fine for DEFINEs...

Mike

In message <NLhJb.31440$I07.78784@attbi_s53>, Zoo Keeper wrote:
For some reason, the Python preprocessing balks on the "\" line

continuation
character. Any ideas/thoughts? Is it just that my version of gcc is not
supported?

I don't "need" numeric in my current project, but it is a nice package to
have!
Apps that do not need to be compiled install and run fine. Actually,
SQLite
built and installed fine...

Thanks, in advance.

Mike

Python 2.2.2 (#13, Dec 6 2002, 00:42:47)
[GCC 2.9-beos-991026] on beos5

$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
not copying Lib/ArrayPrinter.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/LinearAlgebra.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/MLab.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Matrix.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Numeric.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/Precision.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/RandomArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/UserArray.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Lib/numeric_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/FFT.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/FFT/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/MA_version.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/MA/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/Statistics.py (output up-to-date)
not copying Packages/RNG/Lib/__init__.py (output up-to-date)
running build_ext
building '_numpy' extension
gcc -DNDEBUG -O -IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
-I/boot/home/config/include/python2.2 -c Src/_numpymodule.c -o
build/temp.beos-5.0.4-BePC-2.2/_numpymodule.o
In file included from
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:4:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:234: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:239: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:241: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:244: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:247: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:251: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:253: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:255: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/arrayobject.h:257: stray
'\'
in program
In file included from
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Src/_numpymodule.c:6:
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:101: stray
'\'
in program
/boot/home/Downloads/Numeric-23.1/Include/Numeric/ufuncobject.h:103: stray
'\'
in program
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
$


Jul 18 '05 #9
In article <8zjJb.725764$Tr4.1845399@attbi_s03>,
Zoo Keeper <ca*******@comcast.net> wrote:
Is there a way to strip'em? I see "cr nl". :/


Certainly. From the Terminal shell (where you ran "od"),

$ tr -d '\r' < oldfile > newfile

or if you want to use a more complicated procedure
(and untested)
#!/bin/sh
#
case $# in
0) echo Usage: strip file [file ...] >&2 ;;
esac
new=uncr.$$
for file
do
tr -d '\r' < $file > $new
if cmp $file $new > /dev/null 2>&1
then
rm $new
else
save=$file.dist
test -e $save || mv $file $save
mv $new $file
fi
done

Donn Cave, do**@u.washington.edu
Jul 18 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
by: Frank Wallace | last post by:
Hello, Could someone please help me with this Visual Basic problem. I need to know whats the code for this: If address 29292929(making it up)= 50 then sendkeys "1p" Any help would be...
2
by: wpw | last post by:
Hi I have problem in building my application wich contains 54 dlls and one of which is always fails in building in both modes, this particular dll is around 69K and only workaround sofar is to...
2
by: johnhanis | last post by:
I'm using a Visual Basic front end with an SQL query to select some data from a MS Access database. I have a table named Tithes with Columns of TitheDate Tither No Total Tithes Faith Promise...
5
by: Dean Speir | last post by:
This has been making me nuts for the better part of the year, and try as I might, I haven't yet figured it out. The page is at http://www.westhamptonbeach.org/zed.html, and the elements are the...
11
by: ZMY | last post by:
Dear all, I am a real newbie for both python and QNX, but I am still trying to compile Numeric-24.2 under QNX4.25 with python 2.2. I got following error message: $ sudo python setup.py...
4
by: vedrandekovic | last post by:
Hi, I have already install Microsoft visual studio .NET 2003 and MinGw, when I try to build a extension: python my_extension_setup.py build ( or install ) , I get an error: LINK : fatal...
3
by: kotmfu | last post by:
ok here is my problem. i have a multi class project, there are 6 or so classes that have a 7th class referenced to, but in that 7th class i have it referenced to 1 of the first 6. this is creating...
18
by: LosLobo | last post by:
Greetings all. I know that cascading lists are a common problem and in truth I my initial post here was to request help with my own, but then I figured out the right code. That being said, I have a...
2
by: troled1 | last post by:
I hace3 a script that needs to write to a mysql database after pulling records from an ACCESS database. The select there are three loops, one outer loop gets the region, the next gets each building...
2
by: DJRhino | last post by:
Was curious if anyone else was having this same issue or not.... I was just Up/Down graded to windows 11 and now my access combo boxes are not acting right. With win 10 I could start typing...
2
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 4 Oct 2023 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM) The start time is equivalent to 19:00 (7PM) in Central...
0
by: Aliciasmith | last post by:
In an age dominated by smartphones, having a mobile app for your business is no longer an option; it's a necessity. Whether you're a startup or an established enterprise, finding the right mobile app...
0
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Hello everyone, I have a question and would like some advice on network connectivity. I have one computer connected to my router via WiFi, but I have two other computers that I want to be able to...
2
by: giovanniandrean | last post by:
The energy model is structured as follows and uses excel sheets to give input data: 1-Utility.py contains all the functions needed to calculate the variables and other minor things (mentions...
3
NeoPa
by: NeoPa | last post by:
Introduction For this article I'll be using a very simple database which has Form (clsForm) & Report (clsReport) classes that simply handle making the calling Form invisible until the Form, or all...
1
by: Teri B | last post by:
Hi, I have created a sub-form Roles. In my course form the user selects the roles assigned to the course. 0ne-to-many. One course many roles. Then I created a report based on the Course form and...
0
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 1 Nov 2023 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM) Please note that the UK and Europe revert to winter time on...
0
NeoPa
by: NeoPa | last post by:
Introduction For this article I'll be focusing on the Report (clsReport) class. This simply handles making the calling Form invisible until all of the Reports opened by it have been closed, when it...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.