By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,207 Members | 1,028 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,207 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

What do you think of this Python logo?

P: n/a
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."
Jul 18 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
34 Replies


P: n/a
"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


Pretty slick, although at least the larger version look a lot like
an egg being impregnated by a sperm...

Has potential though. What about minus the planet?

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:16:38 -0800, "Brandon J. Van Every"
<tr***************************@yahoo.com> wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


It doesn't really leap at me and shout "Python", despite the large
Optima text, so I'd give it e**(i*pi). But I probably wouldn't know a
good Python logo if it swallowed me whole...
--
Christopher
Jul 18 '05 #3

P: n/a
Creative, different, interesting. Thanks for this link.

I like the logo at larger sizes more than at smaller sizes. The large print
size is beautiful.

The shadows "under" the earth make it look like the earth is on a pedestal
to me, esp. on the gray background. Also, it would be nice to have the
snake have eyes at larger sizes.

Edward
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Edward K. Ream email: ed*******@charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines
Leo: http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 18 '05 #4

P: n/a
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos


Mixed feelings. I'm not sure what the globe is doing there.
Also as Edward noted it would be nice to have a little
bit more detail in the large versions: eyes in the snake,
or perhaps even a little tongue sticking out?

--Irmen

Jul 18 '05 #5

P: n/a
"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."


Hmm... if that happens, should one *duck*? ;-)

(I guess you meant 1.0, not one as in "a person".)

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #6

P: n/a
"Brandon J. Van Every" <tr***************************@yahoo.com> writes:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


I like it!

|>oug
Jul 18 '05 #7

P: n/a
Irmen de Jong wrote:
Mixed feelings. I'm not sure what the globe is doing there.
Also as Edward noted it would be nice to have a little
bit more detail in the large versions: eyes in the snake,
or perhaps even a little tongue sticking out?


I like the stylized snake, but don't like the lettering -- the font is
too boring, and the first two letters in a darker blue than the rest is
at first glance distracting since it looks like a mistake.

A more distinctive typeface, perhaps threaded through the stylized,
looping snake, would look better, I think.

--
Erik Max Francis && ma*@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
__ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && &tSftDotIotE
/ \ Love is when you wake up in the morning and have a big smile.
\__/ Anggun
Jul 18 '05 #8

P: n/a

"Douglas Alan" <ne****@mit.edu> wrote in message
news:lc************@gaffa.mit.edu...
"Brandon J. Van Every" <tr***************************@yahoo.com> writes:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


I like it!

|>oug


Nice, Neat, Clean

Aubrey
Jul 18 '05 #9

P: n/a

"Brandon J. Van Every" <tr***************************@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:bo*************@ID-207230.news.uni-berlin.de...
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."
Looks a little bit like the Worm Oroboros (sp?) when it
took a break from chewing on its tail.

John Roth

Jul 18 '05 #10

P: n/a
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


-1. The snake doesn't look like a snake, the globe is gratuitious, and the
typeface looks boring.
--
Rainer Deyke - ra*****@eldwood.com - http://eldwood.com
Jul 18 '05 #11

P: n/a
"Rainer Deyke" <ra*****@eldwood.com> writes:
-1. The snake doesn't look like a snake, the globe is gratuitious, and the
typeface looks boring.


I think you miss the point. The snake is more simple and elegent than
your typical snake, yet it still manages to swallow its own tail.
The globe is the iris in it's all-encompassing eye.

|>oug
Jul 18 '05 #12

P: n/a
On Monday 10 November 2003 14:16, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


I like it.
I like the font. It shrinks well and is not obnoxious.

Perhaps you could make the color gradient start at the left of the O and
go all the way through the text, or others could in their private
variations on the logo. Of course, the world would not be included in
the gradient.

Perhaps shading it greener (or dark green -> light green) would be more
in keeping with historical Python logos?

Where'd the earth picture come from? I don't think it's an actual
satellite photo? I think it would be very cool and appropriate if it
was a real satellite photo!

Scott
Jul 18 '05 #13

P: n/a

Irmen de Jong <irmen@-NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:3f***********************@news.xs4all.nl...
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos


Mixed feelings. I'm not sure what the globe is doing there.
Also as Edward noted it would be nice to have a little
bit more detail in the large versions: eyes in the snake,
or perhaps even a little tongue sticking out?

--Irmen


Bad feelings. I like that cartoon style, tongue-in-cheek traditional logo
since that doesn't resemble a real snake..
This drawing is actually much more like a ,er.., sperm. I don't think
that's a good idea for a logo.. :-)

Miklós

Jul 18 '05 #14

P: n/a
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:16:38 -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


Very nice! I like it.

Simon.
Jul 18 '05 #15

P: n/a
Aha, You should be humorous. But it indeed makes some sense.

I like the idea behind the pic: neat, simple. But I don't like the shape
of the snake.

Jegenye 2001 Bt wrote:
Bad feelings. I like that cartoon style, tongue-in-cheek traditional logo
since that doesn't resemble a real snake..
This drawing is actually much more like a ,er.., sperm. I don't think
that's a good idea for a logo.. :-)

Mikl?

Jul 18 '05 #16

P: n/a
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:33:34 -0800, Scott Chapman
<sc********@mischko.com> wrote:
On Monday 10 November 2003 14:16, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


I like it.
I like the font. It shrinks well and is not obnoxious.


The font is the traditional beauty products font Optima, which I don't
think is the image that should get across. Although... Make up your
code with Python! sounds silly enough at this time of morning that it
could work.
--
Christopher
Jul 18 '05 #17

P: n/a
"Peter Hansen" <pe***@engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3F***************@engcorp.com...
"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


Pretty slick, although at least the larger version look a lot like
an egg being impregnated by a sperm...

Has potential though. What about minus the planet?

-Peter


I don't mind the snake, but I would lose the planet ("Python is taking over
the world!" ... ahem ... right ... ok, then ...), and perhaps add eyes, so
it looks less like sperm. I would also probably move the snake logo into the
text to replace the 'O' in Python. (I think I saw an early version of this
where that was done). It's odd - sure, it's a coiled snake beside the word
"Python" but, for some reason, they don't really seem to have anything to do
with one another. At least, not to me.

Anyway. If I could draw, I would probably try to make the snake in the shape
of the letter "P" - something like this
http://chat.carleton.ca/~sross/py.JPG (only not drawn with a mouse in
MSPAINT, like this was :). Kind of a cross between "GAP" and the Portishead
logo - um, but with a snake. Slick it up a bit and it might make a good
T-Shirt ... or, not ...

OK, so, good luck with whatever it is you're doing,
Sean

p.s.

The logo at python.com (yeah, _that_ python.com) with the green, bared-fang
snake, and the electrified "Powered by Python" is pretty cool (though not
really corporate, which is what it looks like you're after). Too bad it's on
a porn site ...
Jul 18 '05 #18

P: n/a
"Sean Ross" <fr**************@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bo**********@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca...
"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?

I don't mind the snake, but I would lose the planet ("Python is taking

over the world!" ... ahem ... right ... ok, then ...), and perhaps add eyes, so
it looks less like sperm.

Anyway. If I could draw, I would probably try to make the snake in the shape of the letter "P" - something like this
http://chat.carleton.ca/~sross/py.JPG (only not drawn with a mouse in
MSPAINT, like this was :). Kind of a cross between "GAP" and the Portishead logo - um, but with a snake. Slick it up a bit and it might make a good
T-Shirt ... or, not ...

The logo at python.com (yeah, _that_ python.com) with the green, bared-fang snake, and the electrified "Powered by Python" is pretty cool (though not
really corporate, which is what it looks like you're after). Too bad it's on a porn site ...


All the logos seem to be purely snake oriented. There is nothing about the
Monty kind of Python. I don't think a snake with a silly walk would work as
a logo. Maybe a snake with a napkin on its head?

Patrick Ellis
Jul 18 '05 #19

P: n/a
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:07:22 GMT, "Patrick Ellis"
<pe***********@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
All the logos seem to be purely snake oriented. There is nothing about the
Monty kind of Python. I don't think a snake with a silly walk would work as
a logo. Maybe a snake with a napkin on its head?


Programming Python: so easy even a Gumby can do it?

"Are you... the software specialist?"

--
Christopher
Jul 18 '05 #20

P: n/a
Peter Hansen <pe***@engcorp.com> writes:
Has potential though. What about minus the planet?


I don't like the planet either - it's just too "detailed" for a
stylized logo. Perhaps it could be a more simplistic spherical object,
like, say, a pearl :-)?

--
Ville Vainio http://www.students.tut.fi/~vainio24
Jul 18 '05 #21

P: n/a
Cool, I like it

-pekka-

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


Jul 18 '05 #22

P: n/a
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 09:16, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


All attempts to link Python the language with Python the snake are
ultimately ill-advised, due to the origin of the name Python - see
http://www.entrenet.com/~groedmed/greekm/mythpyth.html

Much better to stick to a Monty Python-inspired theme, incorporating a
mascot like this http://solair.eunet.yu/~janko/birdman.gif but with the
BDFL's smiling face substituted, of course. Or maybe the Python Software
Foundation could ask Terry Gilliam to design a logo, pro bono. Just tell
him that every Python user would then be honour-bound to see all his
future films (that should increase their box-office take by at least
100%...I can't understand why Munchausen, or Brazil weren't
blockbusters, and what a pity The Man Who Killed Don Quixote was
stillborn - see
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...a1870,00.html).

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQA/sKsweJFGqer5k9ARAgo5AKDibNe++5oIt3GSu7bF51XdaQLAlQ CffGGm
Y1+Guq5GDJyBM1r2ZPro0bw=
=6prQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jul 18 '05 #23

P: n/a
Ville Vainio wrote:

Peter Hansen <pe***@engcorp.com> writes:
Has potential though. What about minus the planet?


I don't like the planet either - it's just too "detailed" for a
stylized logo. Perhaps it could be a more simplistic spherical object,
like, say, a pearl :-)?


Oooohh... *very* good. ;-)

Too subtle, perhaps? Python is supposed to be explicit... maybe it
should be a Python crushing a camel. :-)

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #24

P: n/a
How about the letter 'P' with a python entwined around it followed by the
rest of the letters? The font is fine.

R. Baumann
Jul 18 '05 #25

P: n/a
On 11 Nov 2003 20:26:08 +1100, Tim Churches <tc***@optushome.com.au> wrote:

Much better to stick to a Monty Python-inspired theme, incorporating a


I understand the desire to incorporate fun into Python, but I fear that any
Monty Python inspired logo will connote frivolity. I don't think that's
the image that should be conveyed.

My initial take on the logo in the base note is that I like the cleaness of
it. However, it took too much effort to recognize the outer loop as a
snake, let alone a python. I kind of like the idea of a snake wrapped
around the P.

Gary

Jul 18 '05 #26

P: n/a

"G.A." <ga*************@ziplink.stopallspam.net> wrote in message
news:8g********************************@4ax.com...
On 11 Nov 2003 20:26:08 +1100, Tim Churches <tc***@optushome.com.au> wrote:
Much better to stick to a Monty Python-inspired theme, incorporating a
I understand the desire to incorporate fun into Python, but I fear that

any Monty Python inspired logo will connote frivolity. I don't think that's
the image that should be conveyed.

My initial take on the logo in the base note is that I like the cleaness of it. However, it took too much effort to recognize the outer loop as a
snake, let alone a python. I kind of like the idea of a snake wrapped
around the P.
A snake wrapped around a failed project would be even better, but
I will admit that I can't figure out a good, immediately recognizable icon
for a failed project...

John Roth

Gary

Jul 18 '05 #27

P: n/a
John Roth wrote:

"G.A." <ga*************@ziplink.stopallspam.net> wrote in message
news:8g********************************@4ax.com...
On 11 Nov 2003 20:26:08 +1100, Tim Churches <tc***@optushome.com.au>

wrote:

Much better to stick to a Monty Python-inspired theme, incorporating a


I understand the desire to incorporate fun into Python, but I fear that

any
Monty Python inspired logo will connote frivolity. I don't think that's
the image that should be conveyed.

My initial take on the logo in the base note is that I like the cleaness

of
it. However, it took too much effort to recognize the outer loop as a
snake, let alone a python. I kind of like the idea of a snake wrapped
around the P.


A snake wrapped around a failed project would be even better, but
I will admit that I can't figure out a good, immediately recognizable icon
for a failed project...


Maybe the Netscape logo? (ducks and runs)

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #28

P: n/a
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 07:34:09AM -0500, Peter Hansen wrote:
Ville Vainio wrote:

Peter Hansen <pe***@engcorp.com> writes:
Has potential though. What about minus the planet?


I don't like the planet either - it's just too "detailed" for a
stylized logo. Perhaps it could be a more simplistic spherical object,
like, say, a pearl :-)?


Oooohh... *very* good. ;-)

Too subtle, perhaps? Python is supposed to be explicit... maybe it
should be a Python crushing a camel. :-)


Perhaps a python digesting a camel after having swallowed it whole?
(uh, wait... that was a boa constrictor, not a python...)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Jul 18 '05 #29

P: n/a
Brandon J. Van Every fed this fish to the penguins on Monday 10
November 2003 14:16 pm:


What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?
Eeeekkk! the Midgard Serpent; Ouroboros <G>

Guess I've gotten used to the ol' greeny. These look like they would
have been better for a language that started out as non-OO (call it
Python), and then got an OO remake (call it OPython).
-- ================================================== ============ <
wl*****@ix.netcom.com | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
wu******@dm.net | Bestiaria Support Staff <
================================================== ============ <
Bestiaria Home Page: http://www.beastie.dm.net/ <
Home Page: http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/ <


Jul 18 '05 #30

P: n/a
Oren Tirosh <or*******@hishome.net> writes:
Perhaps a python digesting a camel after having swallowed it whole?


But wouldn't that just look like a hat?

Nick

(Apologies to Antoine de Saint-Exupery...)

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')
Jul 18 '05 #31

P: n/a
Nick Vargish wrote:

Oren Tirosh <or*******@hishome.net> writes:
Perhaps a python digesting a camel after having swallowed it whole?


But wouldn't that just look like a hat?

Nick

(Apologies to Antoine de Saint-Exupery...)


For those who don't quite get it: http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/mp/mp/ppchap1.html

-Peter
Jul 18 '05 #32

P: n/a
The good: I like the abstract snake design, the curves are really
dynamic and give a sense of movement. Shows a cool snake, but not in a
scary or intimidating way. Looks very professional.

The bad: The whitespace. I didn't realize that the blue lines were a
snake until I read a few other comments... My eyes were brought to the
whitespace and globe in the middle. While I didn't see the sperm
reference, it looked like a curled up tadpole to me. =) In that sense,
the globe fits as an eye for the tadpole... <G> So I was left
wondering how that fit with Python.

Have you considered trying a design with a slithering snake? (Like on
O'Reilly's Python Library Reference.) The snake here looks good, but
the whitespace in the middle looks like something to many people. The
slithering, 'zig-zag' design of the snake would make the snake
reference more apparent. Or maybe use the snake to form a letter (like
P as someone suggested, that would probably look neat) or some other
shape or symbol that could be used as a reference to Python.

Or, if you want to use the globe, I'd suggest making it fill the white
space - have the snake circle the edges of it - literally wrap the
globe. (Although this may cause the snake head to be obscured...)

Just some thoughts. I think this is one of the most professional
looking logo designs I've ever seen for Python!

Kevin

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:16:38 -0800, "Brandon J. Van Every"
<tr***************************@yahoo.com> wrote:
What do you think of this Python logo?
http://pythonology.org/logos
Good, bad, indifferent, love it, hate it?


Jul 18 '05 #33

P: n/a
Ok, enough comments have passed by, that I'll break silence and offer some
insights into the thought process behind this logo. I first wanted to get
initial reactions without moving anyone's opinions in any particular
direction.

Kevin Ollivier wrote:

Have you considered trying a design with a slithering snake? (Like on
O'Reilly's Python Library Reference.)


Yes, we have. There are 3 kinds of snakes we have considered:
1) realistic snakes
2) abstract graphical snakes
3) cute, cuddly snakes

For general marketing purposes, we rejected (1) because a lot of
Judeo-Christians fear and loathe snakes. We don't want them mixing up
Python with their antipathy to snakes. Please note that fear of snakes is
not a universal; Hindus, for instance, like snakes quite a bit. We should
be able to sell many Python products and services in India. :-)

We rejected (3) because one of our goals is to make a logo that Suits
respond favorably to. Suits do not respect cutesy wootsy stuff, they will
reject such technologies as "not serious." Here, it is important to realize
that Suits and Techies have profoundly dissimilar tastes. Techies love Nerf
rockets and Muppet marketing; Suits loathe it.

This leaves us with (2), snakes as abstract design elements. If we use them
at all.

I do believe that marketing campaigns should be directed at Techies, Suits,
and Educators, that all of these bases need to be covered to grow Python's
user base as much as possible. But, they should be separately focused
campaigns, and the Python logo should appeal to all of these parties.

--
Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com
Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

Brandon's Law (after Godwin's Law):
"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of
a person being called a troll approaches one RAPIDLY."

Jul 18 '05 #34

P: n/a
Peter Hansen <pe***@engcorp.com> wrote:
John Roth wrote:

"G.A." <ga*************@ziplink.stopallspam.net> wrote in message
news:8g********************************@4ax.com...
> On 11 Nov 2003 20:26:08 +1100, Tim Churches <tc***@optushome.com.au>

wrote:
>
>
> >Much better to stick to a Monty Python-inspired theme, incorporating a
>
> I understand the desire to incorporate fun into Python, but I fear that

any
> Monty Python inspired logo will connote frivolity. I don't think that's
> the image that should be conveyed.
>
> My initial take on the logo in the base note is that I like the cleaness

of
> it. However, it took too much effort to recognize the outer loop as a
> snake, let alone a python. I kind of like the idea of a snake wrapped
> around the P.


A snake wrapped around a failed project would be even better, but
I will admit that I can't figure out a good, immediately recognizable icon
for a failed project...


Maybe the Netscape logo? (ducks and runs)

^^^^^^^^

I think you misspelled "Micro$oft"... :-)

--
Robin Munn
rm***@pobox.com
Jul 18 '05 #35

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.