468,234 Members | 1,665 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,234 developers. It's quick & easy.

Problem with Help when using numarray

Python advertises some basic service:

C:\Python24>python
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

With numarray, help gives unhelpful responses:

import numarray.numarraycore as _n
c= _n.array((1, 2))
print 'rank Value:', c.rank
print 'c.rank Help:', help(c.rank)

Results:
rank Value: 1
c.rank Help:Help on int object:

class int(object)
| int(x[, base]) -> integer
|
| Convert a string or number to an integer, if possible. A floating
point
| argument will be truncated towards zero (this does not include a
.................. etc etc.

Another example:
help(c.copy) <bound method NumArray.copy of array([1, 2])> help(c.copy) Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
File "site.py", line 328, in __call__
return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1647, in __call__
self.help(request)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1691, in help
else: doc(request, 'Help on %s:')
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1475, in doc
pager(title % desc + '\n\n' + text.document(object, name))
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 297, in document
if inspect.isroutine(object): return self.docroutine(*args)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1226, in docroutine
if object.im_self:
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\numarray\generic.py", line 537,
in __nonzero__
raise RuntimeError("An array doesn't make sense as a truth value.
Use any(a) or all(a).")
RuntimeError: An array doesn't make sense as a truth value. Use any(a)
or all(a).
c.copy.__doc_ does return the __doc__ string OK: c.copy.__doc__ 'Returns a native byte order copy of the array.'
But c.rank.__doc__ does not: c.rank.__doc__ 'int(x[, base]) -> integer\n\nConvert a string or number to an integer,
if possible. A floating point\nargument will be truncated towards zero
(this does not include a string\nrepresentation of a floating point
number!) When converting a string, use\nthe optional base. It is an
error to supply a base when converting a\nnon-string. If the argument is
outside the integer range a long object\nwill be returned instead.'


Colin W.
Sep 16 '05 #1
3 2829
Colin J. Williams wrote:
Python advertises some basic service:

C:\Python24>python
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
With numarray, help gives unhelpful responses:

import numarray.numarraycore as _n
c= _n.array((1, 2))
print 'rank Value:', c.rank
print 'c.rank Help:', help(c.rank)

Results:
rank Value: 1
c.rank Help:Help on int object:

class int(object)
| int(x[, base]) -> integer
|
| Convert a string or number to an integer, if possible. A floating
point
| argument will be truncated towards zero (this does not include a
................. etc etc.
c.rank is an integer, not a method. It doesn't have a docstring. It
can't have a docstring.
Another example:
>>> help(c.copy) <bound method NumArray.copy of array([1, 2])> >>> help(c.copy) Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
File "site.py", line 328, in __call__
return pydoc.help(*args, **kwds)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1647, in __call__
self.help(request)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1691, in help
else: doc(request, 'Help on %s:')
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1475, in doc
pager(title % desc + '\n\n' + text.document(object, name))
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 297, in document
if inspect.isroutine(object): return self.docroutine(*args)
File "C:\Python24\lib\pydoc.py", line 1226, in docroutine
if object.im_self:
File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\numarray\generic.py", line 537,
in __nonzero__
raise RuntimeError("An array doesn't make sense as a truth value.
Use any(a) or all(a).")
RuntimeError: An array doesn't make sense as a truth value. Use any(a)
or all(a). >>>


c.copy.im_self is c . pydoc is trying to use it as a truth value (I'm
not sure why, you'll have to take it up with pydoc, not numarray), but
numarray has made a decision not to implement __nonzero__.

--
Robert Kern
rk***@ucsd.edu

"In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
-- Richard Harter

Sep 16 '05 #2
Colin J. Williams wrote:
With numarray, help gives unhelpful responses:

import numarray.numarraycore as _n
c= _n.array((1, 2))
print 'rank Value:', c.rank
print 'c.rank Help:', help(c.rank)


c.rank returns a Python integer object.

if you pass in an object to help(), help figures out what that object is,
and tries to tell you what you can do with that object.

the integer itself has no idea whatsoever from where it came; it's just
an integer, and that's all Python knows about it.

cf.
import sys
help(sys) Help on built-in module sys:
NAME
sys
help(sys.stdout) Help on file object:
class file(object)
| file(name[, mode[, buffering]]) -> file object
help(sys.stdout.softspace) Help on int object:
class int(object)
help(sys.stdout.softspace.__int__)

Help on method-wrapper object:
__int__ = class method-wrapper(object)

and so on.

</F>

Sep 16 '05 #3
Fredrik Lundh wrote:
Colin J. Williams wrote:

With numarray, help gives unhelpful responses:

import numarray.numarraycore as _n
c= _n.array((1, 2))
print 'rank Value:', c.rank
print 'c.rank Help:', help(c.rank)

c.rank returns a Python integer object.

Fredrik,

Thanks to Robert Kern and yourself.
Yes, you are right. Most of such cases are treated as properties so
that a doc string is available.

I think that the script below shows that there are cases where a doc
string is available but this information is not retrieved by help()

names= [n * int(not ( '_' in n)) for n in dir(c)]
for n in names:
if len(n):
try:
txt= eval('c.'+n+'.__doc__ ')
print n, txt
print 'help:', help('c.'+n)
except:
print n, ' fails'

You give an integer example below, which I have marked <<<<<<<

This gives the basics. help(c.rank) below gives much more and a lot of
it is irrelevant.

Colin W.
help(c.rank) Help on int object:

class int(object)
| int(x[, base]) -> integer
|
| Convert a string or number to an integer, if possible. A floating
point
| argument will be truncated towards zero (this does not include a string
| representation of a floating point number!) When converting a
string, use
| the optional base. It is an error to supply a base when converting a
| non-string. If the argument is outside the integer range a long object
| will be returned instead.
|
| Methods defined here:
|
| __abs__(...)
| x.__abs__() <==> abs(x)
|
| __add__(...)
| x.__add__(y) <==> x+y
|
| __and__(...)
| x.__and__(y) <==> x&y
|
| __cmp__(...)
| x.__cmp__(y) <==> cmp(x,y)
|
| __coerce__(...)
| x.__coerce__(y) <==> coerce(x, y)
|
| __div__(...)
| x.__div__(y) <==> x/y
|
| __divmod__(...)
| x.__divmod__(y) <==> xdivmod(x, y)y
|
| __float__(...)
| x.__float__() <==> float(x)
|
| __floordiv__(...)
| x.__floordiv__(y) <==> x//y
|
| __getattribute__(...)
| x.__getattribute__('name') <==> x.name
|
| __getnewargs__(...)
|
| __hash__(...)
| x.__hash__() <==> hash(x)
|
| __hex__(...)
| x.__hex__() <==> hex(x)
|
| __int__(...)
| x.__int__() <==> int(x)
|
| __invert__(...)
| x.__invert__() <==> ~x
|
| __long__(...)
| x.__long__() <==> long(x)
|
| __lshift__(...)
| x.__lshift__(y) <==> x<<y
|
| __mod__(...)
| x.__mod__(y) <==> x%y
|
| __mul__(...)
| x.__mul__(y) <==> x*y
|
| __neg__(...)
| x.__neg__() <==> -x
|
| __nonzero__(...)
| x.__nonzero__() <==> x != 0
|
| __oct__(...)
| x.__oct__() <==> oct(x)
|
| __or__(...)
| x.__or__(y) <==> x|y
|
| __pos__(...)
| x.__pos__() <==> +x
|
| __pow__(...)
| x.__pow__(y[, z]) <==> pow(x, y[, z])
|
| __radd__(...)
| x.__radd__(y) <==> y+x
|
| __rand__(...)
| x.__rand__(y) <==> y&x
|
| __rdiv__(...)
| x.__rdiv__(y) <==> y/x
|
| __rdivmod__(...)
| x.__rdivmod__(y) <==> ydivmod(y, x)x
|
| __repr__(...)
| x.__repr__() <==> repr(x)
|
| __rfloordiv__(...)
| x.__rfloordiv__(y) <==> y//x
|
| __rlshift__(...)
| x.__rlshift__(y) <==> y<<x
|
| __rmod__(...)
| x.__rmod__(y) <==> y%x
|
| __rmul__(...)
| x.__rmul__(y) <==> y*x
|
| __ror__(...)
| x.__ror__(y) <==> y|x
|
| __rpow__(...)
| y.__rpow__(x[, z]) <==> pow(x, y[, z])
|
| __rrshift__(...)
| x.__rrshift__(y) <==> y>>x
|
| __rshift__(...)
| x.__rshift__(y) <==> x>>y
|
| __rsub__(...)
| x.__rsub__(y) <==> y-x
|
| __rtruediv__(...)
| x.__rtruediv__(y) <==> y/x
|
| __rxor__(...)
| x.__rxor__(y) <==> y^x
|
| __str__(...)
| x.__str__() <==> str(x)
|
| __sub__(...)
| x.__sub__(y) <==> x-y
|
| __truediv__(...)
| x.__truediv__(y) <==> x/y
|
| __xor__(...)
| x.__xor__(y) <==> x^y
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Data and other attributes defined here:
|
| __new__ = <built-in method __new__ of type object>
| T.__new__(S, ...) -> a new object with type S, a subtype of T

if you pass in an object to help(), help figures out what that object is,
and tries to tell you what you can do with that object.

the integer itself has no idea whatsoever from where it came; it's just
an integer, and that's all Python knows about it.

cf.

import sys
help(sys)
Help on built-in module sys:
NAME
sys

help(sys.stdout)
Help on file object:
class file(object)
| file(name[, mode[, buffering]]) -> file object

help(sys.stdout.softspace)
Help on int object: <<<<<<
class int(object)

help(sys.stdout.softspace.__int__)


Help on method-wrapper object:
__int__ = class method-wrapper(object)

and so on.

</F>

Sep 16 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

8 posts views Thread by Brandon McCombs | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Giovanni Boschi | last post: by
13 posts views Thread by Bev in TX | last post: by
reply views Thread by Eugene | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?QXho?= | last post: by
13 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXIgTWFydGlu?= | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.