469,343 Members | 5,380 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,343 developers. It's quick & easy.

>time.strftime %T missing in 2.3

Python 2.2/Unix
time.strftime("%T") '22:12:15'time.strftime("%X") '22:12:17'

Python 2.3/Windows
time.strftime("%X") '22:12:47' time.strftime("%T")

''

Any clues?

A.
Aug 5 '05 #1
4 2668
Andy Leszczynski wrote:
Python 2.2/Unix
>>time.strftime("%T") '22:12:15' >>time.strftime("%X") '22:12:17'

Python 2.3/Windows
>>time.strftime("%X") '22:12:47' >> time.strftime("%T") ''


From http://docs.python.org/lib/node252.html

"""The full set of format codes supported varies across platforms,
because Python calls the platform C library's strftime() function, and
platform variations are common."""

So I suggest that it's a platform issue, not a Python version issue. FWIW:

Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
import time
time.strftime("%T") '22:50:49' time.strftime("%X")

'22:50:59'

--
Robert Kern
rk***@ucsd.edu

"In the fields of hell where the grass grows high
Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
-- Richard Harter

Aug 5 '05 #2
Robert Kern wrote:
Andy Leszczynski wrote:
Python 2.2/Unix
>>time.strftime("%T")

'22:12:15'
>>time.strftime("%X")

'22:12:17'

Python 2.3/Windows
>>time.strftime("%X")

'22:12:47'
>> time.strftime("%T")

''

From http://docs.python.org/lib/node252.html

"""The full set of format codes supported varies across platforms,
because Python calls the platform C library's strftime() function, and
platform variations are common."""

So I suggest that it's a platform issue, not a Python version issue. FWIW:

Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import time
>>> time.strftime("%T") '22:50:49' >>> time.strftime("%X")

'22:50:59'


I accept that, but still pain. Took me a while to filter out the problem
in the code running on the Unix and not on M$.

A.
Aug 5 '05 #3
Andy Leszczynski wrote:
I accept that, but still pain. Took me a while to filter out the problem
in the code running on the Unix and not on M$.


This is one of the reasons I usually use Cygwin Python when I can. Stuff
is much less likely to mysteriously break when moving from UNIX to
Cygwin then from UNIX to Windows.
--
Michael Hoffman
Aug 5 '05 #4
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:02:48 -0500, Andy Leszczynski <leszczynscyATnospam.yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:
Robert Kern wrote:
Andy Leszczynski wrote:
Python 2.2/Unix

>>time.strftime("%T")
'22:12:15'
>>time.strftime("%X")
'22:12:17'

Python 2.3/Windows

>>time.strftime("%X")
'22:12:47'
>> time.strftime("%T")
''

From http://docs.python.org/lib/node252.html

"""The full set of format codes supported varies across platforms,
because Python calls the platform C library's strftime() function, and
platform variations are common."""

So I suggest that it's a platform issue, not a Python version issue. FWIW:

Python 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import time
>>> time.strftime("%T")

'22:50:49'
>>> time.strftime("%X")

'22:50:59'


I accept that, but still pain. Took me a while to filter out the problem
in the code running on the Unix and not on M$.


I can imagine ...

By the way, you should probably /not/ change %T to %X.

%T (standardized in the Singe Unix Specification) is the same thing as ANSI
C %H:%M:%S which should be usable everywhere. %X on the other hand is "The
preferred time representation for the current locale without the date".
Not the same thing at all, for some users.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@ Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/ algonet.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Aug 21 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by John Hunter | last post: by
822 posts views Thread by Turamnvia Suouriviaskimatta | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Lorn | last post: by
14 posts views Thread by dananrg | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Bruce Wood | last post: by
reply views Thread by suresh191 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Marylou17 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.