469,328 Members | 1,279 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,328 developers. It's quick & easy.

Secure email

I need to write a .cgi that will take the content of an https GET or
POST and send it securely as email to an Outlook client.

I think that OpenSSL is somewhere in this, but I'm not even sure how to
create the right certificate, how to use it to encrypt mail and how to
install a certificate in Outlook (>= 2000).

Code snippets and pointers to tutorials greatly appreciated. I've got a
week to deploy this!

Thanks!

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA
Aug 3 '05 #1
8 1666
wh*****@oz.net writes:
I need to write a .cgi that will take the content of an https GET or
POST and send it securely as email to an Outlook client.


You're asking how to make S/MIME messages? This isn't really the
right newsgroup.
Aug 3 '05 #2
Paul Rubin wrote:
wh*****@oz.net writes:

I need to write a .cgi that will take the content of an https GET or
POST and send it securely as email to an Outlook client.


You're asking how to make S/MIME messages? This isn't really the
right newsgroup.

Well, perhaps it bears saying explicitly that I want to use python and
python libraries to write the .cgi script.

If there's a better newsgroup, would you please tell me?

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA
Aug 4 '05 #3
wh*****@oz.net wrote:
I need to write a .cgi that will take the content of an https GET or
POST and send it securely as email to an Outlook client.

I think that OpenSSL is somewhere in this, but I'm not even sure how to
create the right certificate, how to use it to encrypt mail and how to
install a certificate in Outlook (>= 2000).

Code snippets and pointers to tutorials greatly appreciated. I've got a
week to deploy this!


I think you want this more common approach for mail encryption:

server:
https CGI form --> mail wrapper --> PGP encryption/signing --> send

client:
recieve mail --> pgp decryption/verification --> read

All parts are trivial except for pgp but you could get more information
at http://www.openpgp.org/

--
mph

Aug 4 '05 #4
wh*****@oz.net wrote:
I need to write a .cgi that will take the content of an https GET or
POST and send it securely as email to an Outlook client.

I think that OpenSSL is somewhere in this, but I'm not even sure how to
create the right certificate, how to use it to encrypt mail and how to
install a certificate in Outlook (>= 2000).


M2Crypto which wraps OpenSSL libs could be an option for sending S/MIME
e-mails:

http://sandbox.rulemaker.net/ngps/m2/

Ciao, Michael.
Aug 4 '05 #5
Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

I think you want this more common approach for mail encryption:

server:
https CGI form --> mail wrapper --> PGP encryption/signing --> send

client:
recieve mail --> pgp decryption/verification --> read


This would require an additional PGP-plugin for Outlook. Outlook can
decrypt S/MIME messages out-of-the-box.

Ciao, Michael.
Aug 4 '05 #6
Michael Ströder wrote:
Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
I think you want this more common approach for mail encryption:

server:
https CGI form --> mail wrapper --> PGP encryption/signing --> send

client:
recieve mail --> pgp decryption/verification --> read

This would require an additional PGP-plugin for Outlook. Outlook can
decrypt S/MIME messages out-of-the-box.

Ciao, Michael.


Yes indeed, although I personaly find pgp a bit more elegant your
solution would be the best for the OP.

--
mph
Aug 4 '05 #7
Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
Michael Ströder wrote:
Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
I think you want this more common approach for mail encryption:

server:
https CGI form --> mail wrapper --> PGP encryption/signing --> send

client:
recieve mail --> pgp decryption/verification --> read


This would require an additional PGP-plugin for Outlook. Outlook can
decrypt S/MIME messages out-of-the-box.


Yes indeed, although I personaly find pgp a bit more elegant your
solution would be the best for the OP.


Whether S/MIME or PGP is used depends very much on the security policy
the application has to comply with and the rest of the system
environment we both know very little about. Therefore I can't see what's
more "elegant" with PGP in general and how you can tell what the "best
solution" is for the original poster.

Ciao, Michael.
Aug 4 '05 #8
Michael Ströder wrote:
<cut>
This would require an additional PGP-plugin for Outlook. Outlook can
decrypt S/MIME messages out-of-the-box.
Yes indeed, although I personaly find pgp a bit more elegant your
solution would be the best for the OP.

<cut> Whether S/MIME or PGP is used depends very much on the security policy
the application has to comply with and the rest of the system
environment we both know very little about. Therefore I can't see what's
more "elegant" with PGP in general and how you can tell what the "best
solution" is for the original poster.

<cut>
Not general, personal in the sence of my own opinion just like I have it
wrote it.
Best for the OP because as you pointed out there was a written (although
older) howto for s/mime which the OP could follow (as he requested),
howto's for PGP icw Python is a bit rare, although I haven't googled for
long.

--
mph
Aug 4 '05 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

7 posts views Thread by ojorus | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by debedb | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by Vince Mele | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by VB Programmer | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by Robert Seacord | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by walterbyrd | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by =?Utf-8?B?Q3JhaWc=?= | last post: by
1 post views Thread by CARIGAR | last post: by
reply views Thread by zhoujie | last post: by
reply views Thread by listenups61195 | last post: by
reply views Thread by Purva khokhar | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.