473,545 Members | 2,056 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Python on a public library computer

Here's my situation:

I'm typing this in a public library on a computer with OS windows 2000
server. I can run Internet explorer, word, excel and powerpoint, that's
it. Maybe java, but it seems to be flaky.

I want to run python scripts from this computer. At home I have a
multi-computer network (from better times) but no internet access
anymore, I could use this to try out solutions. I also have access to a
friends computer which has internet connection, but I can't visit his
place all the time. He's away often but he's got a life of his own :-)

So I'm thinking of running some kind of python webserver from a
dedicated computer over there (visualizing some cherrypy webpage based
interpreter at the moment) but I would like to know other options.
However it would have to run from a webpage here ...

For example I would like to run a python script over there (e.g.
getting news from a usenet server) which puts the output in a zipfile
on another webpage so that I can fetch it here with the Internet
Explorer.

There seems to be no traffic load problem since there would be only a
few users (but it could become popular fast?). Also I'm worried about
security issues, but not so much that I would consider installing some
large scale payware professional solution.

Let me know what you think, unless it costs money. On the other hand
money would solve this problem so if I can do something to get that it
would be even better.

Anton

[the things they make you go through ...]

Jul 19 '05 #1
23 2521
"an************ *@gmail.com" <an************ *@gmail.com> writes:
Here's my situation:

I'm typing this in a public library on a computer with OS windows 2000
server. I can run Internet explorer, word, excel and powerpoint, that's
it. Maybe java, but it seems to be flaky.

I want to run python scripts from this computer. At home I have a
multi-computer network (from better times) but no internet access

[...]

Why not Jython?
John
Jul 19 '05 #2
John J. Lee wrote:
"an*********** **@gmail.com" <an************ *@gmail.com> writes:
Here's my situation:

I'm typing this in a public library on a computer with OS windows 2000
server. I can run Internet explorer, word, excel and powerpoint, that's
it. Maybe java, but it seems to be flaky.

I want to run python scripts from this computer. At home I have a
multi-computer network (from better times) but no internet access

[...]

Why not Jython?
John

how locked down is the computer? there's a few (brave) public access
unix shell providers out there. if you could run telnet you could use them

Jul 19 '05 #3
usb key and moveable python.
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

On 5/16/05, Timothy Smith <ti*****@open-networks.net> wrote:
John J. Lee wrote:
"an*********** **@gmail.com" <an************ *@gmail.com> writes:
Here's my situation:

I'm typing this in a public library on a computer with OS windows 2000
server. I can run Internet explorer, word, excel and powerpoint, that's
it. Maybe java, but it seems to be flaky.

I want to run python scripts from this computer. At home I have a
multi-computer network (from better times) but no internet access

[...]

Why not Jython?
John

how locked down is the computer? there's a few (brave) public access
unix shell providers out there. if you could run telnet you could use them

--
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

--
Christopher Lambacher
la******@comput er.org
Jul 19 '05 #4
Timothy Smith <ti*****@open-networks.net> wrote:
there's a few (brave) public access unix shell providers out there. if
you could run telnet you could use them


If you want to go that route, I highly suggest panix.com. They've been in
business forever, are geek friendly, and have a technical support staff
(and attitude) that just can't be beat. I get a unix shell account from
them, mostly for mail and news access (but, on occasion, it's nice to have
a unix box I can ssh into from anywhere).

They're currently running Python-2.4. A couple of the active pythonistas
that hang out here have panix accounts.
Jul 19 '05 #5
In article <ma************ *************** *********@pytho n.org>,
Chris Lambacher <la******@gmail .com> wrote:
usb key and moveable python.
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/


That's pretty cool. Python on a stick!
Jul 19 '05 #6
Panix.com seems a little on the expensive side..

10$/mo?
Roy Smith wrote:
Timothy Smith <ti*****@open-networks.net> wrote:
there's a few (brave) public access unix shell providers out there. if you could run telnet you could use them
If you want to go that route, I highly suggest panix.com. They've

been in business forever, are geek friendly, and have a technical support staff (and attitude) that just can't be beat. I get a unix shell account from them, mostly for mail and news access (but, on occasion, it's nice to have a unix box I can ssh into from anywhere).

They're currently running Python-2.4. A couple of the active pythonistas that hang out here have panix accounts.


Jul 19 '05 #7
John J. Lee wrote:
Why not Jython?


There's no command prompt! The file menu from IE is also gone. There is
a sun Java console but it looks like this:

<quote Sun Java Console>

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.2_06
Using JRE version 1.4.2_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

</quote Sun Java Console>

Thanks for replying anyway!

Anton

Jul 19 '05 #8
John J. Lee wrote:
Why not Jython?


There's no command prompt! The file menu from IE is also gone. There is
a sun Java console but it looks like this:

<quote Sun Java Console>

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.2_06
Using JRE version 1.4.2_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx
----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>

</quote Sun Java Console>

Thanks for replying anyway!

Anton

Jul 19 '05 #9
Timothy Smith wrote:
how locked down is the computer? there's a few (brave) public access
unix shell providers out there. if you could run telnet you could use

them

Sorry, no telnet. Every executable that is not listed is blocked. For
example I can download:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scintilla/Sc1.exe

but if I run it I get two error messages:

a) a 15 seconds "appguard" message

b} 'access to the specified device, path or file is denied'

Maybe some shell provider is a good idea, however I still think I
should make a cherrypy form of 24 lines or so and run it over there and
simulate a python interpreter on a webpage which I can access from
here. Has this been tried before?

How can I use cookies to identify interpreter sessions?

Anton

'webpython_3000 _server_at_xxx. xxx.xxx.xxx_>>> '

Jul 19 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

5
2640
by: John Ladasky | last post by:
Hi, folks, At the beginning of 2003, I was a frustrated computer user, and lapsed programmer, with problems to solve that screamed for programming. Thanks to the Python language and community, I am a programmer once again. My earlier solicitation to the computer world is here: ...
2
2327
by: Miki Tebeka | last post by:
Hello All, I have a funny problem: An embedded python application is working fine on a "clean" computer. When it runs on a computer with python installed (the very same computer used to produce the application) it has a import error: ---------- can't import SACD module (sacd.py) Error in sys.exitfunc:
89
5023
by: Radioactive Man | last post by:
In python 2.3 (IDLE 1.0.3) running under windows 95, I get the following types of errors whenever I do simple arithmetic: 1st example: >>> 12.10 + 8.30 20.399999999999999 >>> 1.1 - 0.2 0.90000000000000013
0
1536
by: drjonfox | last post by:
Python Interest Group In Princeton (PIGIP) PIG/IP will hold its fourth meeting on Tuesday April 12, 2005 at the Lawrenceville Library. Unfortunately, the Lawrenceville library has no free rooms at the usual 3rd Wednesday time. We will be reviewing more of the Python Tutorial (we last left off finishing the chapter about exceptions, so the...
0
1268
by: drjonfox | last post by:
Meeting Tonight! Python Interest Group In Princeton (PIGIP -- http://www.pigip.org) PIGIP will hold its sixth meeting on Wednesday June 15, 2005 at the Lawrenceville Library. We don't have a formal topic, but Jon will show off using Archetypes in Plone for easy content management. Bring your favorite Python module and share... or bring a...
1
2807
by: Claudio Grondi | last post by:
OpenCV means Intel® Open Source Computer Vision Library. It is a collection of C functions and a few C++ classes that implement some popular Image Processing and Computer Vision algorithms. OpenCV library is mainly aimed at real time computer vision. Some example areas would be Human-Computer Interaction (HCI); Object Identification,...
2
2884
by: Thierry Lam | last post by:
I'm using the WMI library for python and I was able to connect to another computer on the network with the following line: c = wmi.WMI(computer="the-network-computer", user="hello", password="hello") Is there a way to write information to a file on that computer? How do I read environment variables, for example SystemDrive?
17
8074
by: DanielJohnson | last post by:
how to use the combination function in python ? For example 9 choose 2 (written as 9C2) = 9!/7!*2!=36 Please help, I couldnt find the function through help.
0
7660
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
7813
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7431
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
7761
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
1
5337
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
4949
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
0
3444
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
1
1888
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
0
709
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.