By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,775 Members | 1,740 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,775 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Visual Designer in linux?

P: n/a
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 10:32:30PM -0500, Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.


You can have UML diagrams exported to SQL with some Perl or Python program
whose URL you can find on Dia's homepage. dia2sql or something like
that. It's damn easy. Hmm ... I think I got the URL somewhere ...
yes, you are lucky: http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]dcc.uchile.cl>)
"Si quieres ser creativo, aprende el arte de perder el tiempo"

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Nov 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
I tried a lot of apps. The one I prefer is "DbDesigner4" but I don't
see support for postgresql... Only Oracle, mySQL...

There is support for ODBC, I don't know if that will do the job if I
install Unix-ODBC and create a postgres data source.

The point is, IF I succeed to make it work with postgres, I don't know
if I will have a non-optimized database at the end... because
DBDesigner4 won't take profit of postgres features?
On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 00:29, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 10:32:30PM -0500, Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.


You can have UML diagrams exported to SQL with some Perl or Python program
whose URL you can find on Dia's homepage. dia2sql or something like
that. It's damn easy. Hmm ... I think I got the URL somewhere ...
yes, you are lucky: http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
joining column's datatypes do not match

Nov 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
There is an ODBC driver for windows that will then talk native to the
PostgreSQL database, why not use that?

Also what features do you think something might be able to use anyway
to "optimise"?

Hope this helps,

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 02:49:06PM -0500, Eric wrote:
I tried a lot of apps. The one I prefer is "DbDesigner4" but I don't
see support for postgresql... Only Oracle, mySQL...

There is support for ODBC, I don't know if that will do the job if I
install Unix-ODBC and create a postgres data source.

The point is, IF I succeed to make it work with postgres, I don't know
if I will have a non-optimized database at the end... because
DBDesigner4 won't take profit of postgres features?


On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 00:29, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:
On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 10:32:30PM -0500, Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.
You can have UML diagrams exported to SQL with some Perl or Python program
whose URL you can find on Dia's homepage. dia2sql or something like
that. It's damn easy. Hmm ... I think I got the URL somewhere ...
yes, you are lucky: http://tedia2sql.tigris.org/



---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
joining column's datatypes do not match


--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kl*****@svana.org> http://svana.org/kleptog/ Patent. n. Genius is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A patent is a
tool for doing 5% of the work and then sitting around waiting for someone
else to do the other 95% so you can sue them.


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQFBjn16Y5Twig3Ge+YRAgJaAKDDGQcp2tKqAum+UGwVw2 XlZC+qcQCgoJ8g
VlSfFviAVa25JPVZcgBX1tI=
=5WHv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Nov 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 16:32, Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...


'Druid' is a Java app that does schema diagrams and point and click
table management stuff:

http://druid.sourceforge.net/

I haven't used it myself, but I know people that have and think it's
pretty good.

Grant
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 23 '05 #5

P: n/a


On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 14:54, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
There is an ODBC driver for windows that will then talk native to the
PostgreSQL database, why not use that?

Because I'm on linux :p

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to ma*******@postgresql.org

Nov 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developpASCIIata model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.


If you like Qt can use Qt-Designer (assuming you have the PostgreSQL odbc
driver installed) or you can use KDevelop and merge Qt gui's with it.

I prefer Python and Boa_Constructor (which requires wxPython) and a unixODBC
DNS to PostgreSQL. Boa creates ASCII source files which version control
nicely. It has a great runtime debugger with stops, watches, var
displays,etc.

If you use Java then JDeveloper with an ODBC line to PostgreSQL works OK,
but Python is 5-10X faster.
--
GreyGeek
Nov 23 '05 #7

P: n/a
Heu...

I search for a graphical DATA MODEL designer in linux to developp my
database project (to draw) it on screen instead of paper and pencil...

Thanks for answers about Database GUI developper... I will surely need
it later but for now, I want to "draw" boxes etc... on screen for my
tables and interactions.

I don't know about UML (somebody told me about it).

I'd like DBDesigner4 at this moment but I will have to test with ODBC
because it seems that postgresql isn't native support like mysql with
this tool...

Any other suggestions welcome.

I hope this message will be more accurate then the one before :)

Thanks every body for your advices.

Eric.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Nov 23 '05 #8

P: n/a
Although it is not Free I think that you should give EMS Postgres
Manager a try (www.ems-hitech.com), it Does pretty much everything that
MS-SQL Enterprise manger does, including a good Diagramming tool.

Embarcardo Technologies have some very good, (but expensive) Db design
tools , mostly for windows, but with very wide Database support
http://www.embarcadero.com/

AquaFold Aqua Data studio is a good Design tool, how good it is at
generating PL/SQL statements is something I have not tried
http://www.aquadatastudio.com/downloads.html

And The Kompany have a pretty decent, though relatively new product
called Data Architect, that appeared promising.
http://www.thekompany.com/home/
Cheers
Johan Wehtje

Eric wrote:
Heu...

I search for a graphical DATA MODEL designer in linux to developp my
database project (to draw) it on screen instead of paper and pencil...

Thanks for answers about Database GUI developper... I will surely need
it later but for now, I want to "draw" boxes etc... on screen for my
tables and interactions.

I don't know about UML (somebody told me about it).

I'd like DBDesigner4 at this moment but I will have to test with ODBC
because it seems that postgresql isn't native support like mysql with
this tool...

Any other suggestions welcome.

I hope this message will be more accurate then the one before :)

Thanks every body for your advices.

Eric.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html
.


---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to ma*******@postgresql.org)

Nov 23 '05 #9

P: n/a
Eric wrote:
Is there a visual designer (open source) in linux for database? I would
like to developp my data model on the computer...

I see "dia" with uml library but... it won't export to SQL.


GerWin: http://es.gnu.org/~jemarch/cgi-bin/index.pl?Site=GerWin
Design your database as though you were using Microsoft Access (including
relationships), it will then write the necessary code to implement that
design in several different languages, including Postgres.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
"The two most abundant things in the universe
are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
Nov 23 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.