By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,541 Members | 1,476 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,541 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Why is postgres an ORDMS

P: n/a
Hello list,

A friend of mine just asked me this, why is postgres an ORDBMS and what
does it mean and how to apply it on real development.

Any comments about it

Thanks

--
Josué Maldonado

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
Josué Maldonado wrote:
Hello list,

A friend of mine just asked me this, why is postgres an ORDBMS and what
does it mean and how to apply it on real development.


We are OR (object-relational) because we are extendable, unlike a
typical DBMS.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pg***@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
+ If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
+ Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
subscribe-nomail command to ma*******@postgresql.org so that your
message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Josué Maldonado wrote:
Hello list,

A friend of mine just asked me this, why is postgres an ORDBMS and
what does it mean and how to apply it on real development.


We are OR (object-relational) because we are extendable, unlike a
typical DBMS.


No, it means there are object-oriented elements in it, like abstract
data types and inheritance.
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to ma*******@postgresql.org)

Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

In fact the inheritance was mi first tought, so as I didn't explain
myself enough and I don't have too much knoledge in that topic, I sent
him an URL of the practical postgresql book where that concept is explained.

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Josué Maldonado wrote:
Hello list,

A friend of mine just asked me this, why is postgres an ORDBMS and
what does it mean and how to apply it on real development.


We are OR (object-relational) because we are extendable, unlike a
typical DBMS.

No, it means there are object-oriented elements in it, like abstract
data types and inheritance.
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to ma*******@postgresql.org)

--
Josué Maldonado

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Nov 12 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.