By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,660 Members | 1,267 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,660 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Cygwin? or paid version from SRA?

P: n/a
Hi All



For deploying PostgreSQL on Windoz platform, which one is a better
option (performance, reliability) ? Thru Cygwin or Paid version from
SRA?



Any option for hot backup?



Thank you


Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
David So wrote:
Hi All

For deploying PostgreSQL on Windoz platform, which one is a better
option (performance, reliability) ? Thru Cygwin or Paid version from
SRA?


I think SRA's version has better performance because it is a native
Windows version, rather than using Cygwin, and it does threading, rather
than CreateProcess() to start each database session.

Of course, I work for SRA.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pg***@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
+ If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
+ Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Nov 12 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Wednesday 15 October 2003 05:34, David So wrote:

For deploying PostgreSQL on Windoz platform, which one is a better
option (performance, reliability) ? Thru Cygwin or Paid version from
SRA?
I know one person who was quite happy with the windows version from
http://www.dbexperts.net/. He wanted a "spare" PG server but didn't have the
time/inclination to learn how to manage a Linux server.
Any option for hot backup?


The pg_dump utility guarantees a consistent snapshot of the database without
having to block updates - is that what you're after?
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Nov 12 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:14:09AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
I think SRA's version has better performance because it is a native
Windows version, rather than using Cygwin, and it does threading, rather
than CreateProcess() to start each database session.


I asked SRA a month ago or so if they sold outside Japan, and was told
that "they were not ready yet". Are they getting ready?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
"La victoria es para quien se atreve a estar solo"

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Nov 12 '05 #4

P: n/a
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David So wrote:
Hi All

For deploying PostgreSQL on Windoz platform, which one is a better
option (performance, reliability) ? Thru Cygwin or Paid version from
SRA?
If you need performance either get a copy of BSD or Linux and run it on
that, or get the native version (there are a few different native flavors
floating around, not all cost money, not all are supported anymore, you
can find them in this mailing list's archive by searching for native
windows or something similar.

If you just need it to get started, and you'll move your database over to
heavier iron later, then you can likely use the cygwin version fine. It's
not the fastest, but it works fairly well, it's free, it's used a lot so
there's plenty of folks to ask about it.
Any option for hot backup?


Postgresql, in all flavors, has had hot backup as far back as I can
remember, via pg_dump / pg_dumpall.
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
subscribe-nomail command to ma*******@postgresql.org so that your
message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Nov 12 '05 #5

P: n/a
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:14:09AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
I think SRA's version has better performance because it is a native
Windows version, rather than using Cygwin, and it does threading, rather
than CreateProcess() to start each database session.


I asked SRA a month ago or so if they sold outside Japan, and was told
that "they were not ready yet". Are they getting ready?


No, I don't think so. The original poster had a .hk domain, so I assume
he is in Hong Kong, and they might sell there, but I am not 100% sure.

The big problem is that all the admin tools are only in Japanese, but I
am told they are working on that.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pg***@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001
+ If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
+ Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 12 '05 #6

P: n/a
Richard Huxton wrote:
On Wednesday 15 October 2003 05:34, David So wrote:

For deploying PostgreSQL on Windoz platform, which one is a better
option (performance, reliability) ? Thru Cygwin or Paid version from
SRA?


I know one person who was quite happy with the windows version from
http://www.dbexperts.net/. He wanted a "spare" PG server but didn't have the
time/inclination to learn how to manage a Linux server.


Yeah, that dbexperts version. Copy their dbx.dll to a unix box and run
"strings -a dbx.dll" and you'll see that this is a modified cygwin.dll
without sourcecode. I would be very careful these days in advertising that.
Jan

--
#================================================= =====================#
# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #
#================================================= = Ja******@Yahoo.com #
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Nov 12 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.