470,614 Members | 1,429 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 470,614 developers. It's quick & easy.

Character conversion issues while upgrading database

Hi,

We're upgrading an old 7.0 database to 7.3. The old 7.0 database has some
high bit characters which we will assume are Latin9. We're trying to upload
into a 7.3 UNICODE database. Normal pg_dump -> psql.

At first we had the problem where it considered every highbit character to
be a unicode sequence. So we've added:

set client_encoding=latin9;
\encoding latin9

which solves most of the problems, however it *still* complains about some
unicode sequences, even though we told it there wern't any. Also, it seems
to lose track of the columns, as \copy spits out 'missing data for column
"foo"'.

We tried recode but it similar issues. Any ideas?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kl*****@svana.org> http://svana.org/kleptog/
"All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
"The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE/PH5YY5Twig3Ge+YRAlyRAKDH/Qx0DXLjRRIJp9Gb9PKRBDO5PQCg2I26
PSVWsrdShPBoAn3fwwxkjeI=
=6yqs
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Nov 11 '05 #1
0 1048

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

2 posts views Thread by Kamal | last post: by
7 posts views Thread by WindAndWaves | last post: by
10 posts views Thread by Albretch | last post: by
18 posts views Thread by james | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Michael Tissington | last post: by
1 post views Thread by musosdev | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.