473,889 Members | 1,387 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Is my MySQL Gaining ?

Dear all,

Their was a huge rore about MySQL recently for something in java functions
now theirs one more

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-5.0.x.html

Does this concern anyone.

What I think is PostgreSQL would have less USP's (Uniqe Selling Points
though we dont sell) now.

What do you think yes we PostgreSQL users need some introspection.

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Nov 12 '05
175 11565
Tino Wildenhain (Thursday 01 January 2004 11:33)
I'm just saying that it would be nice to include both CLI and GUI
interfaces, not to mention things like ODBC, as an alternative to the
"minimalist " download.


No. NO! Definitively not. I really dont want GUI interfaces on a
database server. We are not on Windows here where all servers
better reside on the desktop...


Obviously, and I did not mean to imply that the standalone distribution should
go away. I just think that it would be nice for an all-in-one package to
exist, for users just wanting to try out PostgreSQL on their desktop.

Of course, if your server didn't have X11 compiled (I don't see why it would),
then the graphical components would not (because they could not) be
compiled :).

Vertu sŠll,

--
Sig■ˇr Bj÷rn Jar­arson (Casey Allen Shobe)
http://rivyn.livejournal.com

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Nov 12 '05 #161
Well, another approach is to provide a set of 'real-life' mini project
examples to show the PG way of doing things, and link items in the code
to pages in the documentation.

An example mini project would be to show PHP users a way of updating
multiple tables from a single function call (pl/pgsql) or how to return
page 2 of a total of 8 pages the PG way (set returning functions), or
how to show the number of contributions each author in a list has made
(left outer joins...).

Rory

On 29/12/03, Ericson Smith (er**@did-it.com) wrote:
What's next? Do we keep arguing about how it meets our needs now, or
look at moving forward to meet the needs of the next crop of new users
who think MySQL sucks, but need better documentation?


--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<ro**@campbel l-lange.net>
<www.campbell-lange.net>

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 12 '05 #162
Quoting Rory Campbell-Lange <ro**@campbel l-lange.net>:
Well, another approach is to provide a set of 'real-life' mini project
examples to show the PG way of doing things, and link items in the code
to pages in the documentation.
I totally agree. I've mentioned that before as well- I call them tech notes.
Either way, I personally think they should be on the tech docs site with the
content merged into the search engines. Linking in the docs is bad idea.
Things change over time and the docs should not need to be updated with
information that is not the actually part of the documentation.
An example mini project would be to show PHP users a way of updating
multiple tables from a single function call (pl/pgsql) or how to return
page 2 of a total of 8 pages the PG way (set returning functions), or
how to show the number of contributions each author in a list has made
(left outer joins...).

Rory

On 29/12/03, Ericson Smith (er**@did-it.com) wrote:
What's next? Do we keep arguing about how it meets our needs now, or
look at moving forward to meet the needs of the next crop of new users
who think MySQL sucks, but need better documentation?


--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<ro**@campbel l-lange.net>
<www.campbell-lange.net>

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

_______________ _______________ ______
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
joining column's datatypes do not match

Nov 12 '05 #163
Quoting Rory Campbell-Lange <ro**@campbel l-lange.net>:
Well, another approach is to provide a set of 'real-life' mini project
examples to show the PG way of doing things, and link items in the code
to pages in the documentation.
I totally agree. I've mentioned that before as well- I call them tech notes.
Either way, I personally think they should be on the tech docs site with the
content merged into the search engines. Linking in the docs is bad idea.
Things change over time and the docs should not need to be updated with
information that is not the actually part of the documentation.
An example mini project would be to show PHP users a way of updating
multiple tables from a single function call (pl/pgsql) or how to return
page 2 of a total of 8 pages the PG way (set returning functions), or
how to show the number of contributions each author in a list has made
(left outer joins...).

Rory

On 29/12/03, Ericson Smith (er**@did-it.com) wrote:
What's next? Do we keep arguing about how it meets our needs now, or
look at moving forward to meet the needs of the next crop of new users
who think MySQL sucks, but need better documentation?


--
Rory Campbell-Lange
<ro**@campbel l-lange.net>
<www.campbell-lange.net>

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

_______________ _______________ ______
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
joining column's datatypes do not match

Nov 12 '05 #164

xz****@users.so urceforge.net says...

Do you have a link that verifies this? I hadn't heard this at all and
find it somewhat surprising given their disregard for the initial
complaints...

OK, link per se I do not have, but if you look in some of the Firebird
(the database) lists, you will find serious complaints - try
news.atkin.com if you want to search.

Take a look at www.mozilla.org to see how "committed" they are to
removing the "Firebird" name from their offering. It should have gone
ages ago, they could have even said something like "Mozilla Firebird",
but no, it's all Firebird this and Firebird that...
Paul...

Robert Treat

--
plinehan y_a_h_o_o and d_o_t com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro
Please do not top-post.

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?

http://archives.postgresql.org

Nov 12 '05 #165
On Sunday 04 January 2004 16:46, Paul Ganainm wrote:
xz****@users.so urceforge.net says...
Do you have a link that verifies this? I hadn't heard this at all and
find it somewhat surprising given their disregard for the initial
complaints...


OK, link per se I do not have, but if you look in some of the Firebird
(the database) lists, you will find serious complaints - try
news.atkin.com if you want to search.

Take a look at www.mozilla.org to see how "committed" they are to
removing the "Firebird" name from their offering. It should have gone
ages ago, they could have even said something like "Mozilla Firebird",
but no, it's all Firebird this and Firebird that...


err... i think you misunderstood.. . I'm was looking for a link to show the
mozilla folks saying they would stop using the firebird name. I've never
heard such a thing, while I have heard the opposite, and the info you site
above only seems to verify that mozilla plans to use firebird in the future.

Robert Treat
--
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
(send "unregister YourEmailAddres sHere" to ma*******@postg resql.org)

Nov 12 '05 #166
On Monday 05 January 2004 06:45, Robert Treat wrote:
err... i think you misunderstood.. . I'm was looking for a link to show the
mozilla folks saying they would stop using the firebird name. I've never
heard such a thing, while I have heard the opposite, and the info you site
above only seems to verify that mozilla plans to use firebird in the
future.


There are a couple of mails along those lines here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Firebi...l/message/4756
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Firebi...l/message/4674

(Yahoo registration required...)

Ian Barwick
ba*****@gmx.net
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Nov 12 '05 #167
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, xz****@users.so urceforge.net (Robert Treat) wrote:
On Sunday 04 January 2004 16:46, Paul Ganainm wrote:
xz****@users.so urceforge.net says...
> Do you have a link that verifies this? I hadn't heard this at
> all and find it somewhat surprising given their disregard for the
> initial complaints...


OK, link per se I do not have, but if you look in some of the
Firebird (the database) lists, you will find serious complaints -
try news.atkin.com if you want to search.

Take a look at www.mozilla.org to see how "committed" they are to
removing the "Firebird" name from their offering. It should have
gone ages ago, they could have even said something like "Mozilla
Firebird", but no, it's all Firebird this and Firebird that...


err... i think you misunderstood.. . I'm was looking for a link to
show the mozilla folks saying they would stop using the firebird
name. I've never heard such a thing, while I have heard the
opposite, and the info you site above only seems to verify that
mozilla plans to use firebird in the future.


Hmm. I saw a "Mozilla News" entry last week that suggested that once
the software stabilizes, they would like to rename the packages from
"Mozilla Firebird" to "Mozilla Browser" and from "Mozilla Thunderbird"
to "Mozilla Mail," the 'new' names obviously being a tad more
descriptive.

The continued use of the name "Firebird" by the Mozilla Project
represents a pretty dismaying level of disrespect for other 'open
source' projects. Others have been more careful, historically.

HylaFax, for instance, is named as it is because they discovered a
previous user of their previous name, "FlexFax." Of course, the
"previous user" was a commercial enterprise that might even have
registered a trademark. It is probably a mistake that the founders of
the Firebird project didn't register a trademark...
--
"cbbrowne","@", "cbbrowne.c om"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sgml.html
Rules of the Evil Overlord #62. "I will design fortress hallways with
no alcoves or protruding structural supports which intruders could use
for cover in a firefight." <http://www.eviloverlor d.com/>
Nov 12 '05 #168

xz****@users.so urceforge.net says...

err... i think you misunderstood.. . I'm was looking for a link to show the
mozilla folks saying they would stop using the firebird name. I've never
heard such a thing, while I have heard the opposite, and the info you site
above only seems to verify that mozilla plans to use firebird in the future.
Well, I follow the Firebird lists (and am currently writing an app that
uses the embedded dll - yummy - no horrible installation scripts! - any
chance of putting that on the PostgreSQL todo list?) and on those lists
there are senior Firebird people who have posted quotes from emails
which they say (and I have no reason to disbelieve them) are from senior
Mozilla people to the effect that they will stop using the Firebird
moniker.

There are also emails complaining about the sloth - not to say
deliberate pussy-footing around - the the Mozilla crowd have been up to
in not honouring their written committment to remove the Firebird part
of the name for their browser.

There are those in the Firebird (db) crowd who are on the verge of
suing, so it could get nasty yet!
Paul...

Robert Treat

--
plinehan y_a_h_o_o and d_o_t com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro
Please do not top-post.

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
joining column's datatypes do not match

Nov 12 '05 #169
unsubscribe
---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Nov 12 '05 #170

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.