By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,278 Members | 2,232 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,278 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Novice Question

P: n/a
It is possible to be able to receive email alerts (say, from Google News)
and publish them to a web page automatically?

I am a novice as far as PHP goes, but I can open and write to a file and
close the file up again. The html page references the file and can format
the plain text. So far I am OK ( I think ).

I am not sure how I would automate, or get the content of the email, and
output it to a file. Any thougths?
Thank you.
Christopher
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
Christopher Richards wrote:
It is possible to be able to receive email alerts (say, from Google News)
and publish them to a web page automatically?

I am a novice as far as PHP goes, but I can open and write to a file and
close the file up again. The html page references the file and can format
the plain text. So far I am OK ( I think ).

I am not sure how I would automate, or get the content of the email, and
output it to a file. Any thougths?


If you can set up an alias in your mail server, you could pipe the
message to a script (on that server) to insert the stuff into a database
when a message reaches that address... I haven't played much with that,
but I do have my mail server set up to transfer files with a certain
name to another server when an email arrives at that address...

Other than that, I'd assume you'll need some kind of cron script and
have it check the mail, etc from the web server... You may be able to
find some ideas of how to hanle the messages from some of the webmail
apps around.

--
Justin Koivisto - sp**@koivi.com
http://www.koivi.com
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
In article <j8**************@news7.onvoy.net>, Justin Koivisto wrote:
Christopher Richards wrote:
It is possible to be able to receive email alerts (say, from Google News)
and publish them to a web page automatically?

I am a novice as far as PHP goes, but I can open and write to a file and
close the file up again. The html page references the file and can format
the plain text. So far I am OK ( I think ).

I am not sure how I would automate, or get the content of the email, and
output it to a file. Any thougths?
If you can set up an alias in your mail server, you could pipe the
message to a script (on that server) to insert the stuff into a database
when a message reaches that address... I haven't played much with that,
but I do have my mail server set up to transfer files with a certain
name to another server when an email arrives at that address...


Although there are ppl in this group that don't like it, man procmail
Other than that, I'd assume you'll need some kind of cron script and
have it check the mail, etc from the web server... You may be able to
find some ideas of how to hanle the messages from some of the webmail
apps around.


man fetchmail

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Tim Van Wassenhove <http://www.timvw.info>
Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
Why does everyone always assume all servers are running linux?
:(


Tim Van Wassenhove wrote:
In article <j8**************@news7.onvoy.net>, Justin Koivisto wrote:
Christopher Richards wrote:

It is possible to be able to receive email alerts (say, from Google News)
and publish them to a web page automatically?

I am a novice as far as PHP goes, but I can open and write to a file and
close the file up again. The html page references the file and can format
the plain text. So far I am OK ( I think ).

I am not sure how I would automate, or get the content of the email, and
output it to a file. Any thougths?


If you can set up an alias in your mail server, you could pipe the
message to a script (on that server) to insert the stuff into a database
when a message reaches that address... I haven't played much with that,
but I do have my mail server set up to transfer files with a certain
name to another server when an email arrives at that address...

Although there are ppl in this group that don't like it, man procmail

Other than that, I'd assume you'll need some kind of cron script and
have it check the mail, etc from the web server... You may be able to
find some ideas of how to hanle the messages from some of the webmail
apps around.

man fetchmail

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
In article <41***********************@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net>, neur0maniak wrote:
Why does everyone always assume all servers are running linux?

who mentionned linux?

procmail and fetchmail run under _many_ operating systems. even win32 :P
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Tim Van Wassenhove <http://www.timvw.info>
Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
neur0maniak wrote:
Why does everyone always assume all servers are running linux?


Because its a very sensible thing to do!

1/ It's free
2/ It's very secure
3/ It's very fast
4/ Running a GUI on a web server wastes processing cycles and memory.
Jul 17 '05 #6

P: n/a
2metre wrote:
neur0maniak wrote:
Why does everyone always assume all servers are running linux?

Because its a very sensible thing to do!

1/ It's free
2/ It's very secure
3/ It's very fast
4/ Running a GUI on a web server wastes processing cycles and memory.


PS. I can setup a linux server (including buying the computer and
operating system) for less than the cost of a Windows software licence.
Jul 17 '05 #7

P: n/a

I'm not saying I don't use linux (I'm an avid debian user)

It just hits one of my nerves to see OS-specific help for a question
that mentions no OS. I guess I'm just sensitive...
2metre wrote:
neur0maniak wrote:
Why does everyone always assume all servers are running linux?

Because its a very sensible thing to do!

1/ It's free
2/ It's very secure
3/ It's very fast
4/ Running a GUI on a web server wastes processing cycles and memory.


Jul 17 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.