By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,216 Members | 1,001 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,216 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Human readable error_log

P: n/a
Hi,

I'm looking for a function that *returns* a human readable string
representation of an array rather than prints it so I can use it with
the error_log procedure. Any clues?
August
Oct 8 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
August Karlstrom wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a function that *returns* a human readable string
representation of an array rather than prints it so I can use it with
the error_log procedure. Any clues?
August
You can use output buffering, or write a function that suits your own
needs.

<URL:http://php.net/manual/en/ref.outcontrol.php>

--
Curtis
Oct 9 '08 #2

P: n/a
On Oct 8, 11:27*pm, August Karlstrom <fusionf...@gmail.comwrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a function that *returns* a human readable string
representation of an array rather than prints it so I can use it with
the error_log procedure. Any clues?

August
$string = print_r($array,1);

The second param of print_r() is a bool for return value. If true,
print_r() returns the string to your variable instead of printing to
the screen.

RTM here:

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.print-r.php
Oct 9 '08 #3

P: n/a
macca wrote:
On Oct 8, 11:27 pm, August Karlstrom <fusionf...@gmail.comwrote:
>Hi,

I'm looking for a function that *returns* a human readable string
representation of an array rather than prints it so I can use it with
the error_log procedure. Any clues?

August

$string = print_r($array,1);

The second param of print_r() is a bool for return value. If true,
print_r() returns the string to your variable instead of printing to
the screen.

RTM here:

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.print-r.php
Thanks. I still have a problem though. For some reason the output
contains sequences of `\n' instead of newlines.

Example:

error_log(print_r(Array(1, 2, 3), 1));

Output:

[Thu Oct 09 10:06:37 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Array\n(\n [0]
=1\n [1] =2\n [2] =3\n)\n, referer: ...
August
Oct 9 '08 #4

P: n/a
August Karlstrom escribió:
Thanks. I still have a problem though. For some reason the output
contains sequences of `\n' instead of newlines.

Example:

error_log(print_r(Array(1, 2, 3), 1));

Output:

[Thu Oct 09 10:06:37 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Array\n(\n [0]
=1\n [1] =2\n [2] =3\n)\n, referer: ...
error_log() sends errors either to a file or to system logging; the
latter might not support multi-line output. I've tried this code in
Windows XP from command line:

<?php
ini_set('log_errors', 1);
ini_set('error_log', 'error.log');
error_log(print_r(Array(1, 2, 3), 1));
?>

It does save line feeds, but it mixes different line endings:
- Lines themselves use Windows line endings (\r\n)
- print_r() uses Unix line endings (\n)

So the log looks ugly in Notepad but looks normal in almost any other
editor. Your customer logger can take care of that. This works for me:

<?php
ini_set('log_errors', 1);
ini_set('error_log', 'error.log');
error_log(
strtr(
print_r(Array(1, 2, 3), 1),
array(
"\r\n" =PHP_EOL,
"\r" =PHP_EOL,
"\n" =PHP_EOL,
)
)
);
?>
--
-- http://alvaro.es - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web: http://bits.demogracia.com
-- Mi web de humor al baño María: http://www.demogracia.com
--
Oct 9 '08 #5

P: n/a
Álvaro G. Vicario wrote:
August Karlstrom escribió:
>Thanks. I still have a problem though. For some reason the output
contains sequences of `\n' instead of newlines.

Example:

error_log(print_r(Array(1, 2, 3), 1));

Output:

[Thu Oct 09 10:06:37 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Array\n(\n
[0] =1\n [1] =2\n [2] =3\n)\n, referer: ...

error_log() sends errors either to a file or to system logging; the
latter might not support multi-line output.
[...]

OK, thanks for the information Álvaro.
August
Oct 10 '08 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.