By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,701 Members | 2,006 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,701 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

PHP has encountered an access violation...

P: n/a
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Sep 4 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
39 Replies


P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin <ir************@gmail.com>
wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Well, FWIW, re-booting the computer ALMOST fixed it. Now the error
seems to be encountered only on a couple of different pages - again,
it's at random - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. :(
Sep 4 '08 #2

P: n/a

"Martin" <ir************@gmail.comwrote in message
news:83********************************@4ax.com...
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin <ir************@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Well, FWIW, re-booting the computer ALMOST fixed it. Now the error
seems to be encountered only on a couple of different pages - again,
it's at random - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. :(
nothing is random...and 'almost' is not 'fixed'. without seeing your code,
it's hard to tell what you may be doing.
Sep 4 '08 #3

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set correctly.
But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't work either
would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
What kind of load is it under? I don't know if it has anything to do with
your issue but IIS running under XP only allows 10 connections.

--
I told you this was going to happen.

Sep 4 '08 #4

P: n/a
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:52:23 -0500, "Dale" <th*****@example.comwrote:
>
"Martin" <ir************@gmail.comwrote in message
news:83********************************@4ax.com.. .
>On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin <ir************@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Well, FWIW, re-booting the computer ALMOST fixed it. Now the error
seems to be encountered only on a couple of different pages - again,
it's at random - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. :(

nothing is random...and 'almost' is not 'fixed'. without seeing your code,
it's hard to tell what you may be doing.
By "random" I mean that I get the error one time when I view page "X"
but a subsequent viewing of the same page encounters no error. I might
view the page repeatedly without error and then, on the next view, the
error will appear.
Sep 4 '08 #5

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:55:57 -0500, Ivan Marsh <iv*******@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set correctly.
But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't work either
would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

What kind of load is it under? I don't know if it has anything to do with
your issue but IIS running under XP only allows 10 connections.
No load whatsoever. Like I said, this is on my LAN (in my office where
I develop stuff) and I'm the only one using it.

Sep 4 '08 #6

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:07:27 -0700, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:55:57 -0500, Ivan Marsh <iv*******@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>>On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin wrote:
>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

What kind of load is it under? I don't know if it has anything to do
with your issue but IIS running under XP only allows 10 connections.

No load whatsoever. Like I said, this is on my LAN (in my office where I
develop stuff) and I'm the only one using it.
Depending on how the page is designed and what it's doing a single page
load could create more than 10 connections.

Monitoring Connections (IIS 6.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

I'm sure the instructions for IIS 5 are similar.

--
I told you this was going to happen.

Sep 4 '08 #7

P: n/a

Martin schreef:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Hi,

First, to find the reason for an access violation, you must use
debuggertools for IIS.
You can find better help in this newsgroup:
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis (also with finding the right tools to
create a bugreport.)
I heard PHP5.1.something had some issues when trying to free the same
amount of memory twice. (Not sure if that is related)

And I have a, possibly lame, suggestion: Switch to Apache (1.3 or 2).
Most techies consider IIS an inferior webserver.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

--
============================
Erwin Moller
Now dropping all postings from googlegroups.
Why? http://improve-usenet.org/
============================
Sep 4 '08 #8

P: n/a

Ivan Marsh schreef:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:07:27 -0700, Martin wrote:
>On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:55:57 -0500, Ivan Marsh <iv*******@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>>On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin wrote:

I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
What kind of load is it under? I don't know if it has anything to do
with your issue but IIS running under XP only allows 10 connections.
No load whatsoever. Like I said, this is on my LAN (in my office where I
develop stuff) and I'm the only one using it.

Depending on how the page is designed and what it's doing a single page
load could create more than 10 connections.
Well, would that explain why it doesn't happen on the same page when it
is reloaded?
If the page does the same thing, why would 1 invocation create an error,
and the second not if he is the only one using that server?

I bet something else is wrong.
Best thing to do is switch webserver or diagnose the problem with some
tools. (see my other response).

Regards,
Erwin Moller
>
Monitoring Connections (IIS 6.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

I'm sure the instructions for IIS 5 are similar.

--
============================
Erwin Moller
Now dropping all postings from googlegroups.
Why? http://improve-usenet.org/
============================
Sep 4 '08 #9

P: n/a
Martin wrote:
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
Off course there are many kinds of access violations, but this seems to
me like PHP is trying to read from a memory address it does not has
access to. This is most likely a bug in PHP (or some other software) or
broken hardware. Try testing your memory (maybe with memtest86) and up-/
downgrading your PHP.

Sep 4 '08 #10

P: n/a
Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Martin,

There are several bug reports at bugs.php.net similar to what you are
reporting. But not knowing what your code is doing, I have no idea what
might be related.

You could look through them and see what you can find. Upgrading to
5.2.6 may also fix this bug.

And if you don't find anything, I would recommend you put together a
small test case showing the problem and report it as a bug.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 4 '08 #11

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:50:08 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Martin,

There are several bug reports at bugs.php.net similar to what you are
reporting. But not knowing what your code is doing, I have no idea what
might be related.

You could look through them and see what you can find. Upgrading to
5.2.6 may also fix this bug.

And if you don't find anything, I would recommend you put together a
small test case showing the problem and report it as a bug.
Most of the bug reports I've seen on this suggest it's an issue with
running PHP and an ISAPI filter.

Perhaps you could try setting it up as CGI. I vaguely remember running
into a similar issue the one time I attempted to run PHP under Windows.
Though I believe I solved (side stepped) the issue by running Apache
instead of IIS, which my not be a solution for you.
--
I told you this was going to happen.

Sep 4 '08 #12

P: n/a

"Erwin Moller"
<Si******************************************@spam yourself.comwrote
in message news:48*********************@news.xs4all.nl...
>
Martin schreef:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months -
the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at
00F76E21). The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh
the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Hi,

First, to find the reason for an access violation, you must use
debuggertools for IIS.
You can find better help in this newsgroup:
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis (also with finding the right tools
to create a bugreport.)
I heard PHP5.1.something had some issues when trying to free the
same amount of memory twice. (Not sure if that is related)

And I have a, possibly lame, suggestion: Switch to Apache (1.3 or
2).
Most techies consider IIS an inferior webserver.

Regards,
Erwin Moller
FWIW:
I have been struggling to solve a similar problem under Apache. :(

Still dont know the exact cause, but somehow a mySQL dll was the wrong
version.
Replcing it with another 'fixed' it.
How the wrong dll was referenced I still dont know.

Richard
Sep 4 '08 #13

P: n/a
AqD
Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP. The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.

Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
Sep 5 '08 #14

P: n/a

"AqD" <aq*********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g2000 prf.googlegroups.com...
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.

if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
Sep 5 '08 #15

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 20:19:50 +0200, Sjoerd <sj******@gmail.comwrote:
>Martin wrote:
>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

Off course there are many kinds of access violations, but this seems to
me like PHP is trying to read from a memory address it does not has
access to. This is most likely a bug in PHP (or some other software) or
broken hardware.
Try testing your memory (maybe with memtest86) and up-/
downgrading your PHP.
At your suggestion, I downloaded memtest86 and ran it but it reported
no memory problems - everything was ok.

Am continuing to try to diagnose the problem.

Sep 5 '08 #16

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:50:08 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
<js*******@attglobal.netwrote:
>Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Martin,

There are several bug reports at bugs.php.net similar to what you are
reporting. But not knowing what your code is doing, I have no idea what
might be related.

You could look through them and see what you can find. Upgrading to
5.2.6 may also fix this bug.

And if you don't find anything, I would recommend you put together a
small test case showing the problem and report it as a bug.
Jerry - Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll upgrade to 5.2.6 but, maybe you could answer a question for me?
How does one "upgrade"? Do I have to do a complete install of 5.2.6?
Or is it possible to simply update certain components some way?

I looked around the PHP site but couldn't find anything that explained
this. Is there a site somewhere that explains a little more fully how
to do this?

Thanks.
Sep 5 '08 #17

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Some kind of internal bug in PHP. The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
The problem is probably not specifically with PHP, more likely with
the ISAPI DLL or IIS. The access violation does, indeed, tell you
something.
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
The OP shouldn't have to switch server environments, as PHP can run
just fine on IIS, when configured properly.

--
Curtis
Sep 5 '08 #18

P: n/a
Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:50:08 -0400, Jerry Stuckle
<js*******@attglobal.netwrote:
>Martin wrote:
>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Martin,

There are several bug reports at bugs.php.net similar to what you are
reporting. But not knowing what your code is doing, I have no idea what
might be related.

You could look through them and see what you can find. Upgrading to
5.2.6 may also fix this bug.

And if you don't find anything, I would recommend you put together a
small test case showing the problem and report it as a bug.

Jerry - Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll upgrade to 5.2.6 but, maybe you could answer a question for me?
How does one "upgrade"? Do I have to do a complete install of 5.2.6?
Or is it possible to simply update certain components some way?

I looked around the PHP site but couldn't find anything that explained
this. Is there a site somewhere that explains a little more fully how
to do this?

Thanks.
You need to do a complete install. There isn't an upgrade path.

But it's pretty painless. If you previously used the zip/gzip files,
just move your old files to another directory (for backup) and unzip the
new files in the same place. Ensure you keep your current php.ini file.

If you used an installer, you should again backup the files (just in
case), remove the old and install the new in the same place.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 5 '08 #19

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 5, 8:50*pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:74**********************************@p10g2000 prf.googlegroups.com...


Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.

and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.
>
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.

hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.

well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.

if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.

Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Sep 8 '08 #20

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:74**********************************@p10g200 0prf.googlegroups.com...


>>Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!

Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.
>>The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.

Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.

if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!

The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.

Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.

So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.

And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 8 '08 #21

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 5, 11:47*pm, Curtis <dye...@gmail.comwrote:
AqDwrote:
Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP. The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.

The problem is probably not specifically with PHP, more likely with
the ISAPI DLL or IIS. The access violation does, indeed, tell you
something.
You can get access violations when the code uses a null pointer or
reference (most likely to happen), or read unallocated or freed
memory, or write into read-only memory blocks etc etc. It could be
anything.
>
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.

The OP shouldn't have to switch server environments, as PHP can run
just fine on IIS, when configured properly.
Is it possible to mis-configure PHP to cause an access violation error?
Sep 8 '08 #22

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:47 pm, Curtis <dye...@gmail.comwrote:
>AqDwrote:
>>Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP. The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
The problem is probably not specifically with PHP, more likely with
the ISAPI DLL or IIS. The access violation does, indeed, tell you
something.

You can get access violations when the code uses a null pointer or
reference (most likely to happen), or read unallocated or freed
memory, or write into read-only memory blocks etc etc. It could be
anything.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
The OP shouldn't have to switch server environments, as PHP can run
just fine on IIS, when configured properly.

Is it possible to mis-configure PHP to cause an access violation error?
If it were possible, that would be a bug.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 8 '08 #23

P: n/a

"AqD" <aq*********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:09**********************************@q5g2000p rf.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:74**********************************@p10g2000 prf.googlegroups.com...


Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.

and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.

=== uhmmm, no, that would only mean that php didn't catch an exception. the
access violation IS the problem...not the fact that php didn't handle the
exception!
>
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.

hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is
not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.

=== 'yes it is', what? 'it', being your comments? as far as debugging goes,
if you heed the access violation error message, you can start and probably
end by looking at file permissions on both the dll's and any
directories/files that are in play as seen in the op's code.

Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.

well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.

if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.

=== actually, it does. you on the other hand, are very much less than
useful.

Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?

=== you assume incorrectly that EITHER are to blame!!! resources external to
BOTH applications who's permissions are not sufficient for EITHER to consume
would simply render your bogus assumptions just that, bogus assumptions
Sep 8 '08 #24

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 8, 10:22*am, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:09**********************************@q5g2000p rf.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:


"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g2000 prf.googlegroups.com....
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
>page results in the page being served successfully.
>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!

Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.

=== uhmmm, no, that would only mean that php didn't catch an exception. the
access violation IS the problem...not the fact that php didn't handle the
exception!
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is
not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.

Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.

=== 'yes it is', what? 'it', being your comments? as far as debugging goes,
if you heed the access violation error message, you can start and probably
end by looking at file permissions on both the dll's and any
directories/files that are in play as seen in the op's code.
Sorry but you misunderstood what the error means. It's not directly
related to files. The access violation is on memory not file. If non-
permitted files are accessed by PHP, it would probably be reported.

Memory access violation is usually caused by calling null pointer or
freed resource. And given the fact that the error is usually not re-
producable, you cannot track it unless you have a memory dump, or your
php is running with dubug symbols and is attached by a runtime
debugger (not php debugger).
Sep 8 '08 #25

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 8, 10:17*am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
>news:74**********************************@p10g200 0prf.googlegroups.com....
>Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
>The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.
if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?

Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.

So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.

And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. *He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. *So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.
From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."

PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.

If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.
Sep 8 '08 #26

P: n/a

"AqD" <aq*********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:98**********************************@r15g2000 prd.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
>news:74**********************************@p10g200 0prf.googlegroups.com...
>Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most
of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
>The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it
is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any
other
webserver but apache.
if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so
wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve
it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?

Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.

So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.

And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.
From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."

PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.

If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

=== listen, you've got to do your homework before your opinion is considered
more than uninformed! you CAN get a stack *trace* (spelling corrected!) and
you CAN get php to produce a memory dump.

further, if we had the actual access violation error message, we could
certainly assertain immediately via google whether or not the violation was
at a memory address or was an error code (i.e. insufficient priveleges).

what will you spew next?
Sep 8 '08 #27

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 8, 12:24*pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

Sorry but you misunderstood what the error means. It's not directly
related to files. The access violation is on memory not file. If non-
permitted files are accessed by PHP, it would probably be reported.

=== no, i understood just fine. access violations are NOT limited to memory.
if you've worked in any other language directly with the windows kernel,
you'd know this!
Yes but his "access violation" is very likely to be memory access
violation. Because file permission error doesn't look like that and it
should get caught by PHP or IIS.
Sep 8 '08 #28

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 8, 12:18*pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:98**********************************@r15g2000 prd.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:


AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
>>news:74**********************************@p10g20 00prf.googlegroups.com...
>>Martin wrote:
>>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>>>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
>>>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>>>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>>>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
>>>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most
>>>of
>>>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
>>>page results in the page being served successfully.
>>>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>>>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>>>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>>>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
>>Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
>and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
>>The access violation error tells
>>NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
>hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it
>is not
>allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
>time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
>>is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
>well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kindof
>internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any
>other
>webserver but apache.
>if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so
>wonderfully
>and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve
>it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.
So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.
And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.

From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."

PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.

If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

=== listen, you've got to do your homework before your opinion is considered
more than uninformed! you CAN get a stack *trace* (spelling corrected!) and
you CAN get php to produce a memory dump.
How?
>
further, if we had the actual access violation error message, we could
certainly assertain immediately via google whether or not the violation was
at a memory address or was an error code (i.e. insufficient priveleges).
So what result have you got from google? ;)

If you really know anything that can help the OP, just say it.
Sep 8 '08 #29

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:47 pm, Curtis <dye...@gmail.comwrote:
>AqDwrote:
>>Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP. The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
The problem is probably not specifically with PHP, more likely with
the ISAPI DLL or IIS. The access violation does, indeed, tell you
something.

You can get access violations when the code uses a null pointer or
reference (most likely to happen), or read unallocated or freed
memory, or write into read-only memory blocks etc etc. It could be
anything.
Yes, this is called undefined behavior, which is an issue with C
programming. Such conditions aren't able to be produced by PHP code,
unless there is a serious bug. However, the OP's issue does not
indicate this is the case, and there's the fact that not everyone can
reproduce the access violation (works just fine with IIS, in my case).

From my experience, it would seem likely it's a problem with the
ISAPI DLL and/or IIS.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
The OP shouldn't have to switch server environments, as PHP can run
just fine on IIS, when configured properly.

Is it possible to mis-configure PHP to cause an access violation error?
Not very likely, PHP 5 is quite stable.

--
Curtis
Sep 8 '08 #30

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
>AqD wrote:
>>On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g2 000prf.googlegroups.com...
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
>page results in the page being served successfully.
>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.
if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.

So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.

And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.

From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."

PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.

If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.
And exactly how do you expect to add a "send error report" button to a
programming language?

This has to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 8 '08 #31

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 8, 10:22 am, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:09**********************************@q5g2000 prf.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:


>>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g20 00prf.googlegroups.com...
Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.

=== uhmmm, no, that would only mean that php didn't catch an exception. the
access violation IS the problem...not the fact that php didn't handle the
exception!
>>>The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is
not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.

=== 'yes it is', what? 'it', being your comments? as far as debugging goes,
if you heed the access violation error message, you can start and probably
end by looking at file permissions on both the dll's and any
directories/files that are in play as seen in the op's code.

Sorry but you misunderstood what the error means. It's not directly
related to files. The access violation is on memory not file. If non-
permitted files are accessed by PHP, it would probably be reported.

Memory access violation is usually caused by calling null pointer or
freed resource. And given the fact that the error is usually not re-
producable, you cannot track it unless you have a memory dump, or your
php is running with dubug symbols and is attached by a runtime
debugger (not php debugger).
Maybe in YOUR code. There are lots of other reasons for access
violations. But real programmers know that.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Sep 8 '08 #32

P: n/a
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin <ir************@gmail.com>
wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
At Jerry's suggestion, I uninstalled PHP 5.2.5 and installed 5.2.6.
But to no avail. The random error continued exactly as before. I
re-booted the computer several times - made no difference.

That was last Friday. I shut the whole thing down and didn't mess with
again until this morning (Monday). Well, guess what? Now, it's working
just fine! No errors of any kind on any page! ?!?!?!? I don't
know... Something random going on here.

All these posts about turning in a bug report or recompiling or C++ or
error logging are WAY over my head. I'll leave all that to you gurus.
Sep 8 '08 #33

P: n/a

"AqD" <aq*********@gmail.comwrote in message
news:c5**********************************@z6g2000p re.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 8, 12:18 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:98**********************************@r15g2000 prd.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:


AqD wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
>>news:74**********************************@p10g20 00prf.googlegroups.com...
>>Martin wrote:
>>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>>>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months -
>>>the
>>>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>>>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>>>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at
>>>00F76E21).
>>>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most
>>>of
>>>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh
>>>the
>>>page results in the page being served successfully.
>>>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>>>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>>>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>>>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
>>Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
>and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
>>The access violation error tells
>>NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
>hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it
>is not
>allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting
>anyone's
>time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
>>is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
>well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind
>of
>internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any
>other
>webserver but apache.
>if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so
>wonderfully
>and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve
>it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.
So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.
And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.

From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."

PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.

If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

=== listen, you've got to do your homework before your opinion is
considered
more than uninformed! you CAN get a stack *trace* (spelling corrected!)
and
you CAN get php to produce a memory dump.
How?

=== loadable modules for one. if one is not to your liking, create one
yourself.

further, if we had the actual access violation error message, we could
certainly assertain immediately via google whether or not the violation
was
at a memory address or was an error code (i.e. insufficient priveleges).
So what result have you got from google? ;)

=== google 'php access violation'. you may even get lucky and see the actual
violation error message the op is complaining about...along with the
solution. when you're doing this, notice how many of them deal with iis
permissions being the culprit, NOT corrupt or improperly accessed memory!
If you really know anything that can help the OP, just say it.

=== i very well MAY know how to help the op. my initial response to the op
contains my request to see relative code associated with the problem. were i
to just chime in with an unfounded 'solution' i'd be like you...guessing in
the dark and making myself look daft!
Sep 8 '08 #34

P: n/a

"Jerry Stuckle" <js*******@attglobal.netwrote in message
news:ga**********@registered.motzarella.org...
AqD wrote:
>On Sep 8, 10:22 am, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message

news:09**********************************@q5g200 0prf.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:

"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g2 000prf.googlegroups.com...
Martin wrote:
>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most
>of
>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
>page results in the page being served successfully.
>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.

Therefore it's an internal bug.

=== uhmmm, no, that would only mean that php didn't catch an exception.
the
access violation IS the problem...not the fact that php didn't handle
the
exception!

The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it
is
not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.

=== 'yes it is', what? 'it', being your comments? as far as debugging
goes,
if you heed the access violation error message, you can start and
probably
end by looking at file permissions on both the dll's and any
directories/files that are in play as seen in the op's code.

Sorry but you misunderstood what the error means. It's not directly
related to files. The access violation is on memory not file. If non-
permitted files are accessed by PHP, it would probably be reported.

Memory access violation is usually caused by calling null pointer or
freed resource. And given the fact that the error is usually not re-
producable, you cannot track it unless you have a memory dump, or your
php is running with dubug symbols and is attached by a runtime
debugger (not php debugger).

Maybe in YOUR code. There are lots of other reasons for access
violations. But real programmers know that.
which is why i'm baffled, jerry, as to why YOU would know that.
Sep 8 '08 #35

P: n/a

"Martin" <ir************@gmail.comwrote in message
news:g3********************************@4ax.com...
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:52:22 -0700, Martin <ir************@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.

When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).

The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.

Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

At Jerry's suggestion, I uninstalled PHP 5.2.5 and installed 5.2.6.
But to no avail. The random error continued exactly as before. I
re-booted the computer several times - made no difference.

That was last Friday. I shut the whole thing down and didn't mess with
again until this morning (Monday). Well, guess what? Now, it's working
just fine! No errors of any kind on any page! ?!?!?!? I don't
know... Something random going on here.
what may be 'random' is that the 'faulty' dll that is possibly in question
remained loaded in memory even though you had a new/upgraded install of php.
shutting down the computer and turning it back on would have cause the new,
correct dll to be used...thus solving your problem and the related symptoms.
they don't call it 'dll hell' for nothing!
All these posts about turning in a bug report or recompiling or C++ or
error logging are WAY over my head. I'll leave all that to you gurus.
i'd ignore those as most are simply shots in the dark, wholly lacking the
needed information to determine if any of it was going to be at all
successful. for you, i'd just have faith in the stability of both IIS and
PHP. if you run into those kinds of problems, you're more than likely going
to have a config problem at the root of any troubles. for all the bashing of
IIS, i've run several web servers with it, private and commercial, and never
had any problems. i do however highly recommend apache...if you can't afford
zeus - which is undeniably the best web server out there. apache is more
robust than IIS and, hell, you can't beat FREE !

cheers.
Sep 8 '08 #36

P: n/a
>If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
>and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

And exactly how do you expect to add a "send error report" button to a
programming language?
Easy: the same way they put "send low on gasoline report" buttons
on gas cans and gas tanks. Oh, wait, you mean all gas cans aren't
on the Internet?

Obviously the intent here is to have the web site USER send the
error report: a security hole at best.
>This has to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!
It does qualify right up there with the insistence of one manager
that if a user lost his modem connection, the BASIC interpreter
should ask the now-disconnected user (it would really be talking
to the modem) whether to save the program. This generally involved
the modem and the program yelling at each other, chewing up most of the
CPU time, and ensuring that the user couldn't dial in again.

Sep 8 '08 #37

P: n/a

"Gordon Burditt" <go***********@burditt.orgwrote in message
news:2N******************************@posted.inter netamerica...
>>If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

And exactly how do you expect to add a "send error report" button to a
programming language?

Easy: the same way they put "send low on gasoline report" buttons
on gas cans and gas tanks. Oh, wait, you mean all gas cans aren't
on the Internet?
oh, so we shouldn't expect the 'on-star' trend to continue but rather,
decline. i get what you're saying.
Obviously the intent here is to have the web site USER send the
error report: a security hole at best.
well no! you can keep it all automated on the server. that's just an
assumption based on limited thinking.

as for 'security hole'...nothing is more secure than what you make it. it
doesn't sound like you trust your skills to make dikes without leaks.
>>This has to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!

It does qualify right up there with the insistence of one manager
that if a user lost his modem connection, the BASIC interpreter
should ask the now-disconnected user (it would really be talking
to the modem) whether to save the program. This generally involved
the modem and the program yelling at each other, chewing up most of the
CPU time, and ensuring that the user couldn't dial in again.
what tha?!!! i'm sure that's a personal experience that you just fail to
relate easily to those without said experience. it is a SOUND idea and is
incorporated in domino's pizza's POS software, PULSE, a software system i
helped build - i was one of seven core developers on that project. we did
lots of automation to detect and report system inconsistencies whether in
the data or the software itself. not thinking ahead or limiting what
can/should be done qualifies 'right up there'.

cheers.
Sep 9 '08 #38

P: n/a
AqD
On Sep 8, 7:04 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
AqDwrote:
On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
>AqDwrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
news:74**********************************@p10g2 000prf.googlegroups.com...
Martin wrote:
I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
last time I worked with it, all was well.
When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully.
Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
Any ideas as to what's going on here?
Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
The access violation error tells
NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
webserver but apache.
if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.
So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.
And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.
From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."
PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.
If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.

And exactly how do you expect to add a "send error report" button to a
programming language?

This has to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!
On windows any services can be configured to do GUI on local desktop.
Oct 28 '08 #39

P: n/a
AqD wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:04 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
>AqDwrote:
>>On Sep 8, 10:17 am, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
AqDwrote:
On Sep 5, 8:50 pm, "Dale" <the....@example.comwrote:
>"AqD" <aquila.d...@gmail.comwrote in message
>news:74**********************************@p10 g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>>Martin wrote:
>>>I have an intranet-only site running in Windows XPPro, IIS 5.1, PHP
>>>5.2.5. I have not used or changed this site for several months - the
>>>last time I worked with it, all was well.
>>>When I tried it just now, I am getting the subject error message
>>>(specifically: PHP has encountered an access violation at 00F76E21).
>>>The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it is on most of
>>>them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
>>>page results in the page being served successfully.
>>>Some googling around indicates that "permissions" are not set
>>>correctly. But, if that was actually the case, a <refreshwouldn't
>>>work either would it? This seems to be a sporadic issue.
>>>Any ideas as to what's going on here?
>>Some kind of internal bug in PHP.
>and exactly HOW would you know that?!
Because the access violation is not caught and correctly reported in
PHP module, i.e. the php module crashed.
Therefore it's an internal bug.
>>The access violation error tells
>>NOTHING and you don't need to waste time on it.
>hmmm...it tells you the application is trying to do something that it is not
>allowed to do. your comments seem to be the only thing wasting anyone's
>time.
Yes it is. Unless you want to spend time debugging IIS & PHP module.
>>Try different PHP versions or use apache to host PHP scripts. Apache
>>is less problemic with PHP in my experience.
>well, well, well. seems like you don't really think it is 'some kind of
>internal bug in PHP' after all! now you're saying it's IIS, or any other
>webserver but apache.
>if you don't have enough information to go on, don't assume so wonderfully
>and precisely what the specific problem is or what is going to solve it!
The OP was trying to find out what the problem is. It doesn't help
him.
Even if he finds out why the problem access violation was casued, he
cannot solve it by fixing php or iis. So why waste time on things you
cannot fix?
Maybe because if no one ever took the time to find problems and report
them to Zend, problems would never get fixed.
So you would rather try to work around all of those problems caused by
an unstable product because, by your philosophy, no one should spend the
time reporting bugs.
And BTW - PHP is open source, if you hadn't known. He very well could
find and fix the problem should be be so inclined and have the time to
do so. So that's another way in which your argument is fallacious.
From the OP: "The error is NOT occurring on every page request (but it
is on most of
them) and, when I get the error, simply pressing <F5to refresh the
page results in the page being served successfully."
PHP gives no option to dump memory or to print internal stack thrace.
If they hope people to report bugs, they should provide these things
and add some UI like "send error report" button, because most php
programmers are not C experts and it'd take too much time for them to
debug manually.
And exactly how do you expect to add a "send error report" button to a
programming language?

This has to be the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!

On windows any services can be configured to do GUI on local desktop.
A programming language is not a service.

I repeat. this is the most idiotic idea I've ever heard in this newsgroup!

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================

Oct 28 '08 #40

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.