By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,677 Members | 1,069 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,677 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Easiest Linux distro for setting up a LAMP server?

P: n/a
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer.
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
Chung Leong wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer.

Definately debian :)

APT is just so great.

Once you've got the linux base installed, just use "apt-get install
apache php4 mysql-server" and you'll be all set.
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Fedora with Yum works pretty painlessly. Personally, I always fine-tune
and compile the installation, regardless of what distro I'm running.

bblackmoor
2004-07-21
Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hello,

On 07/21/2004 09:49 PM, Chung Leong wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.


Try SuSE. If you only have one Windows partition in a PC, by default it
will shrink that partition enough to install itself without need of
human intervention, unless you want to. It detects all hardware for you.
It may not setup any GUI if you want.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
http://www.phpclasses.org/

PHP Reviews - Reviews of PHP books and other products
http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator
http://www.meta-language.net/metastorage.html
Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Chung Leong wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer.


I'd say try Gentoo... it's a bit harder than, say Mandrake or SuSE, to
setup, but once you're there there is the great 'portage' system at your
finger tips. With Gentoo you can build the OS optimized exactly for
your system easier than most other distro's, due to the fact that
portage downloads program sources and compiles them based on your
settings in the portage config file. There's Slackware to, which is
easier to setup, but requires a little more know-how to maintain.
Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:49:32 -0400
"Chung Leong" <ch***********@hotmail.com> wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free
software only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm
looking for something that installs everything with just a few clicks.
I tried Debian, but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't
working in Apache.
I'd say give Debian another try, since it's easy... But avoid dselect,
cause it sucks...
Use apt-get manually instead.

You don't want to use the "stable" debian, so when it's done installing
from the install-cd (WITHOUT dselect), simply edit /etc/apt/sources.list
to get unstable packages instead.
NOTE: The name "unstable" is a bit misleading here, since they are not
running specially bad or anything, they just don't have the Debian QA.
The unstable packages are the newest packages available, so you get the
full flavour of PHP and such (even thought PHP5 is not in apt at the
moment).

With that done, you do:
apt-get update
To update the package lists and then:
apt-get dist-upgrade
to update the entire system.

After that it's simple a matter of doing:
apt-get install apache2 php4 libapache2-mod-php4 mysql-server

('apt-cache search <name>' to search the package lists for 'name')

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I
would prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.


Debian doesn't do that unless you specifically asks it too.

If you decide to try out Debian, I'd be happy to help you out with the
install. Just email me your questions and I shall answer them the best I
can. I'm sure we can figure out something over IRC as well, if you want.

Best regards,
Madsen

--
Anders K. Madsen --- http://lillesvin.linux.dk

"There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary - and those who don't."

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFA/075lNHJe/JASHcRAkcXAJ9oN6rhRZJERbCWY7DF86k/Iog48gCeNmMu
VdOfNcKIfBRXpbN4/bCHmRM=
=xCpH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jul 17 '05 #6

P: n/a
(resubmitted after mailing OP by mistake)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chung Leong" <ch***********@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.php
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 1:49 AM
Subject: Easiest Linux distro for setting up a LAMP server?
<snip>

Aidan wrote:
I'd say try Gentoo... it's a bit harder than, say Mandrake or SuSE, to <snip>

neur0maniak wrote: Definately debian :) <snip>

Manuel Lemos wrote: Try SuSE. If you only have one Windows partition in a PC, by default it

<snip>

Ah, ain't it the truth. Ask four geeks a non-technical question, get four
replies.

(I haven't tried anything other than Mandrake since v7 (now v10), but I like
it)

Garp
Jul 17 '05 #7

P: n/a
neur0maniak wrote:
Chung Leong wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free
software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried
Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I
would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer.

Definately debian :)

APT is just so great.


Speaking of debian... How many of you use the "unstable" branch in a
production environment for apache, php & mysql?

I know I do. :-D

--
Justin Koivisto - sp**@koivi.com
PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
alt.php* groups are not recommended.
Jul 17 '05 #8

P: n/a
Anders K. Madsen wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:49:32 -0400
"Chung Leong" <ch***********@hotmail.com> wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free
software only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm
looking for something that installs everything with just a few clicks.
I tried Debian, but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't
working in Apache.
I'd say give Debian another try, since it's easy... But avoid dselect,
cause it sucks...
Use apt-get manually instead.


I second that!
You don't want to use the "stable" debian, so when it's done installing
from the install-cd (WITHOUT dselect), simply edit /etc/apt/sources.list
to get unstable packages instead.
NOTE: The name "unstable" is a bit misleading here, since they are not
running specially bad or anything, they just don't have the Debian QA.
The unstable packages are the newest packages available, so you get the
full flavour of PHP and such (even thought PHP5 is not in apt at the
moment).
I've been checking unstable every morning since release for php5 ;)
With that done, you do:
apt-get update
To update the package lists and then:
apt-get dist-upgrade
to update the entire system.

After that it's simple a matter of doing:
apt-get install apache2 php4 libapache2-mod-php4 mysql-server


also check for all the available php4-* packages for the different
modules (like xslt, curl, mysql, etc.)

--
Justin Koivisto - sp**@koivi.com
PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
alt.php* groups are not recommended.
Jul 17 '05 #9

P: n/a
Garp wrote:
Ah, ain't it the truth. Ask four geeks a non-technical question, get four
replies.
as always... ;)
(I haven't tried anything other than Mandrake since v7 (now v10), but I like
it)


I used to do slackware until debian's woody was released (sounds sick, I
know), now I run debian only (web, mail, dns, database, etc.).

--
Justin Koivisto - sp**@koivi.com
PHP POSTERS: Please use comp.lang.php for PHP related questions,
alt.php* groups are not recommended.
Jul 17 '05 #10

P: n/a
Justin Koivisto wrote:
neur0maniak wrote:
Chung Leong wrote:
I've been trying to set up a LAMP server for experimental purpose. Our
production environment is WAMP (Windows Apache2 MSSQL PHP) but out of
curiosity I would like to see if we can operate our site with free
software
only. I have precise little time for this though, so I'm looking for
something that installs everything with just a few clicks. I tried
Debian,
but even through I added PHP4 in dselect, it wasn't working in Apache.

The server environment is going to be a VMWare virtual computer, so I
would
prefer a distro that doesn't automatically install a GUI.

Thanks for any pointer.

Definately debian :)

APT is just so great.

Speaking of debian... How many of you use the "unstable" branch in a
production environment for apache, php & mysql?

I know I do. :-D


Well, not exactly a production environment (it's a hobby), but my
unstable debian is still just as stable - never made it crash yet, and
not had any unexpected results!
Jul 17 '05 #11

P: n/a
"Justin Koivisto" <sp**@koivi.com> wrote in message
news:DB*****************@news7.onvoy.net...
You don't want to use the "stable" debian, so when it's done installing
from the install-cd (WITHOUT dselect), simply edit /etc/apt/sources.list
to get unstable packages instead.
NOTE: The name "unstable" is a bit misleading here, since they are not
running specially bad or anything, they just don't have the Debian QA.
The unstable packages are the newest packages available, so you get the
full flavour of PHP and such (even thought PHP5 is not in apt at the
moment).


I've been checking unstable every morning since release for php5 ;)


What is the URL to the unstable branch? I'm having trouble finding it.

Jul 17 '05 #12

P: n/a
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:21:59 -0400
"Chung Leong" <ch***********@hotmail.com> wrote:
"Justin Koivisto" <sp**@koivi.com> wrote in message
news:DB*****************@news7.onvoy.net...
You don't want to use the "stable" debian, so when it's done
installing from the install-cd (WITHOUT dselect), simply edit
/etc/apt/sources.list to get unstable packages instead.
NOTE: The name "unstable" is a bit misleading here, since they are
not running specially bad or anything, they just don't have the
Debian QA. The unstable packages are the newest packages
available, so you get the full flavour of PHP and such (even
thought PHP5 is not in apt at the moment).


I've been checking unstable every morning since release for php5 ;)


What is the URL to the unstable branch? I'm having trouble finding it.


There's no specific URL to the unstable brand, it's just about making
apt-get use another directory in the repository.
You can look a little at the packages in the stable, testing and
unstable branches at http://packages.debian.org

Going from stable (which is the default installation) to unstable is
just to replace every "stable" with "unstable" in /etc/apt/sources.list
EXCEPT for in "security" repositories, but you'll find out.
If you list a non-existing repos, it simply won't fetch a package-list
for it, and that's it. No harm done...

Best of luck and best regards,
Madsen

--
Anders K. Madsen --- http://lillesvin.linux.dk

"There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary - and those who don't."

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFBAJdDlNHJe/JASHcRAoktAJ0YBycudhKPhEYmdmhvsqBRHGf+1gCeP8Ck
f91t3gMkxFYi3LjVTRxMDpk=
=Np0o
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jul 17 '05 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.