By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,917 Members | 1,313 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,917 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

detect visitors connection speed

P: n/a
hi all,

is there a way that a script can detect the connection speed of a visitor,
so that I can direct slower connection to a standard site and faster
DSL/cable users to a flash copy of the site etc.

thanks in advance
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
chris wrote:
hi all,

is there a way that a script can detect the connection speed of a visitor,
so that I can direct slower connection to a standard site and faster
DSL/cable users to a flash copy of the site etc.

thanks in advance


As there are a number of factors that effect the speed of the connection,
you're probably better off giving users a main screen where they can decide
themselves which site to enter.

Personally, I have a high speed connection, but often opt for the standard HTML
site when given the choice. Too often web designers will try to show-off
their prowess in flash programming without adding anything extra to the
content of the site.

Todd
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
T. Relyea wrote:
Personally, I have a high speed connection, but often opt for the standard HTML
site when given the choice. Too often web designers will try to show-off
their prowess in flash programming without adding anything extra to the
content of the site.


Agreed. I've never seen a site where I was actually wiser after
sitting through someone's flash programming. It always seems like
animated junk mail, to me, so now I refuse to tolerate it. If there
isn't an alternate way in, I go elsewhere.

Margaret
--
(To mail me, please change .not.invalid to .net, first.
Apologies for the inconvenience.)
Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
In article <40********@funnel.arach.net.au>, chris wrote:
hi all,

is there a way that a script can detect the connection speed of a visitor,
so that I can direct slower connection to a standard site and faster
DSL/cable users to a flash copy of the site etc.


That would be silly, because i only have links on the server with
gigabit connection.
--
Tim Van Wassenhove <http://home.mysth.be/~timvw>
Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Margaret MacDonald wrote:
T. Relyea wrote:

Personally, I have a high speed connection, but often opt for the standard HTML
site when given the choice. Too often web designers will try to show-off
their prowess in flash programming without adding anything extra to the
content of the site.

Agreed. I've never seen a site where I was actually wiser after
sitting through someone's flash programming. It always seems like
animated junk mail, to me, so now I refuse to tolerate it. If there
isn't an alternate way in, I go elsewhere.

Margaret


ditto.

Michael Austin.
Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:00:29 +0000, Michael Austin wrote:
Agreed. I've never seen a site where I was actually wiser after
sitting through someone's flash programming. It always seems like
animated junk mail, to me, so now I refuse to tolerate it. If there
isn't an alternate way in, I go elsewhere.

Margaret


ditto.

Michael Austin.


I'll agree with Margaret and Michael. One of my favorite things about
Mozilla Firefox is that I don't have to see Flash at all.
Jul 17 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.