By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
428,630 Members | 1,010 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 428,630 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Can anybody share me the Canadian PostCode Database

P: n/a
xhe
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank

Mar 13 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Frank,

If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Mar 14 '07 #2

P: n/a
On Mar 13, 8:40 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank

Frank,

If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.
You mean like this US zipcode list available from the Census Beureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

(it's a little outdated but still good)

And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.

Mar 14 '07 #3

P: n/a
Rik
<la***@portcommodore.comwrote:
And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.
With the data: yes, with _public_ data: no.
In most countries it's also not a government agency but a private postal
company which provides such data. It's no cheap business keeping it
up-to-date, field agents a plenty are necessary.

If buying the database is to expensive for you, you might want to check
out options where you can query a third party with an API, where you only
pay 'per request'. Lot's of those around too.

--
Rik Wasmus
Posted on Usenet, not any forum you might see this in.
Ask Smart Questions: http://tinyurl.com/anel
Mar 14 '07 #4

P: n/a
Rik wrote:
<la***@portcommodore.comwrote:
>And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.

With the data: yes, with _public_ data: no.
In most countries it's also not a government agency but a private postal
company which provides such data. It's no cheap business keeping it
up-to-date, field agents a plenty are necessary.

If buying the database is to expensive for you, you might want to check
out options where you can query a third party with an API, where you
only pay 'per request'. Lot's of those around too.

--Rik Wasmus
Posted on Usenet, not any forum you might see this in.
Ask Smart Questions: http://tinyurl.com/anel
There is a simple Google Maps API that returns the lat/lon of a
location specified with the postal code or address. It is free
up to 5,000 requests per day. Easy/simple works a treat.

Google Google Maps API and look for the simple lat/lon request.

bill
Mar 14 '07 #5

P: n/a
la***@portcommodore.com wrote:
On Mar 13, 8:40 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
>xhe wrote:
>>I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Frank,

If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.

You mean like this US zipcode list available from the Census Beureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

(it's a little outdated but still good)

And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.
Oh, you mean the one that's eight years old and therefore useless?

Zipcodes change daily. Updates come out quarterly. So that's about 30
updates behind, plus or minus.

So no, it's not "still good" for serious work. I would *never* want a
customer to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist".

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Mar 14 '07 #6

P: n/a
On Mar 14, 12:11 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
l...@portcommodore.com wrote:
On Mar 13, 8:40 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Frank,
If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.
You mean like this US zipcode list available from the Census Beureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html
(it's a little outdated but still good)
And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.

Oh, you mean the one that's eight years old and therefore useless?

Zipcodes change daily. Updates come out quarterly. So that's about 30
updates behind, plus or minus.

So no, it's not "still good" for serious work. I would *never* want a
customer to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist".

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstuck...@attglobal.net
==================
you could easily write a script that uses MSN, google maps, multimap,
mp24 etc... posting the postcode and parsing the response for the lat/
long with reg exp. Check to see if that would be against their terms
of course, ahem.
But some map servers send the lat lon as headers because they know
people use them in this way, I have seen at least one major website
which does this. then you just need to submit a head request.

Mar 14 '07 #7

P: n/a
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
la***@portcommodore.com wrote:
>On Mar 13, 8:40 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
>>xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Frank,

If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.

You mean like this US zipcode list available from the Census Beureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

(it's a little outdated but still good)

And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.

Oh, you mean the one that's eight years old and therefore useless?

Zipcodes change daily. Updates come out quarterly. So that's about 30
updates behind, plus or minus.

So no, it's not "still good" for serious work. I would *never* want a
customer to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist".
OP kind of said "for educational purpose".
Mar 15 '07 #8

P: n/a
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Can you query CanadaPost ? It gives you 16kb of HTML you have to parse
information out of.
Mar 15 '07 #9

P: n/a
On 15 Mar, 07:40, Roman <m...@dipmicro.comwrote:
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank

Can you query CanadaPost ? It gives you 16kb of HTML you have to parse
information out of.
If you are lucky one of the ways will be a GET request with
pcode=blah, which will return html with links of the form
http://server.com/church_overlay?lat=52&lon=-12 or whatever, so find a
page that effectively offers URLs within the markup that use lat and
lon equicalent to your post code, then parse the marup for all urls,
and grab the one which has lat and lon in the query string.
This is fast and doesnt depend on the way the page is organised (or
reorganised) just on the presense of the URLs. Have this as a fall
back if the postcode cannot be found via other means, (it wont be
quite fast enough for prod use) update your db with the data for next
time, and gradually add "providers" in this way. This gets round the
use of an old database, updates tend to be new additions, more than
replacements, so an old db is useful and when you receive a request
for a postcode you dont have even an approximation for, the extra hit
of 1 second or so is probably worth it rather than sending "unknown"
back.
If anyone's interested and mails me I have a 42k place name sql table
for the UK, and a list of the first part of the uk postal codes I've
been using since mid '04. This would be useful for general distance
calcs - in the UK, 42k is all it takes to pretty much get the tiniest
settlement.

Mar 15 '07 #10

P: n/a
Roman wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>la***@portcommodore.com wrote:
>>On Mar 13, 8:40 pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.netwrote:
xhe wrote:
I am now developing a website which needs Canadian PostCode Database.
I can certainly buy one, but that will cost my hundered of $$, and my
website is only for education purpose, it won't make money. So I am
afraid I can not affort it.
Are there any good friends who can share me with you Canadian PostCode
database, I need the longitude and latitude included in the DB.
Thank you very very much in advance.
If you still have other country's postcode DB which includes longitude
and latitude, can you please also show me? Thanks again for help.
Frank
Frank,

If it's like the U.S. Postal Code database, this is commercial
information. Sharing it would be illegal.

You mean like this US zipcode list available from the Census Beureau:
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/zip1999.html

(it's a little outdated but still good)

And I am sure if you look around there is some government agency (or
is it Ministry, never can get that straight) with such public data.
Oh, you mean the one that's eight years old and therefore useless?

Zipcodes change daily. Updates come out quarterly. So that's about 30
updates behind, plus or minus.

So no, it's not "still good" for serious work. I would *never* want a
customer to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist".

OP kind of said "for educational purpose".
I don't care if it is for educational purposes. I still wouldn't want
my customers to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist" because
I'm using an 8-year old database.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Mar 15 '07 #11

P: n/a
>>Oh, you mean the one that's eight years old and therefore useless?
>>>
Zipcodes change daily. Updates come out quarterly. So that's about 30
updates behind, plus or minus.

So no, it's not "still good" for serious work. I would *never* want a
customer to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist".

OP kind of said "for educational purpose".

I don't care if it is for educational purposes. I still wouldn't want
my customers to see "I'm sorry, your zip code does not exist" because
I'm using an 8-year old database.
So never give out that error message.

In the USA, zip codes are clustered by the first 3 digits. If you don't
recognize a specific 5-digit zip code, use the 3-digit version. It's
less accurate, but it should get you in the general area. I'm not sure
if there are any 3-digit combinations that aren't in use for an actual
geographic area.

I don't know whether the same locality applies to Canada.

Mar 16 '07 #12

P: n/a
Sharing is illegal for commercial information. You can acquire the
database from the authorized licensee such as http://www.zipcodeworld.com

Mar 25 '07 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.