By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,825 Members | 1,269 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,825 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

image resizing that doesn't sacrifice quality

P: n/a
Hi,

Anyone know of a script out there that can resize images and not
sacrifice image quality? I've been using phpthumb
(http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/) but when compared to an image
resized in photoshop it's products are not as good (yeah I upped the
image quality and tried out some filters - no luck).

Tutorials or scripts online preferred are preferred, but if you know of
a way to change the settings on phpthumb to maintain the quality that
would work too. Heck I'm even willing to use another scripting
language if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 4 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
Rik
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Anyone know of a script out there that can resize images and not
sacrifice image quality? I've been using phpthumb
(http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/) but when compared to an image
resized in photoshop it's products are not as good (yeah I upped the
image quality and tried out some filters - no luck).

Tutorials or scripts online preferred are preferred, but if you know
of a way to change the settings on phpthumb to maintain the quality
that would work too. Heck I'm even willing to use another scripting
language if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
http://vikjavev.no/computing/ump.php
--
Rik Wasmus
Jan 4 '07 #2

P: n/a
Thanks Rik,

phpThumb actually has an unsharp mask filter built in and I've tickered
with it, but I still can't get the quality up to what photoshop
produces by default. I adobe is the gold standard, but resizing an
image seems rather trivial so I thought php could do it w/o a problem.

On Jan 4, 5:41 pm, "Rik" <luiheidsgoe...@hotmail.comwrote:
berksh...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
Anyone know of a script out there that can resize images and not
sacrifice image quality? I've been using phpthumb
(http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/) but when compared to an image
resized in photoshop it's products are not as good (yeah I upped the
image quality and tried out some filters - no luck).
Tutorials or scripts online preferred are preferred, but if you know
of a way to change the settings on phpthumb to maintain the quality
that would work too. Heck I'm even willing to use another scripting
language if necessary.
Thanks in advance!http://vikjavev.no/computing/ump.php

--
Rik Wasmus
Jan 5 '07 #3

P: n/a
Rik
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Rik,

phpThumb actually has an unsharp mask filter built in and I've
tickered with it, but I still can't get the quality up to what
photoshop produces by default. I adobe is the gold standard, but
resizing an image seems rather trivial so I thought php could do it
w/o a problem.
Well, the problem (or benefit) is offcourse that Photoshop doesn't 'just'
resize, it actually does quite a lot of work for you.
If this mask doesn't fit your needs, you could perhaps give ImageMagick a
try. See http://www.magickwand.org/ for details.
--
Rik Wasmus
Jan 5 '07 #4

P: n/a
We presently have imagemagick installed, is there a particular benefit
to magickwand that you had in mind?

BTW, thanks again for all the help!

Rik wrote:
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Rik,

phpThumb actually has an unsharp mask filter built in and I've
tickered with it, but I still can't get the quality up to what
photoshop produces by default. I adobe is the gold standard, but
resizing an image seems rather trivial so I thought php could do it
w/o a problem.

Well, the problem (or benefit) is offcourse that Photoshop doesn't 'just'
resize, it actually does quite a lot of work for you.
If this mask doesn't fit your needs, you could perhaps give ImageMagick a
try. See http://www.magickwand.org/ for details.
--
Rik Wasmus
Jan 5 '07 #5

P: n/a
Message-ID: <11**********************@11g2000cwr.googlegroups. comfrom
be*******@gmail.com contained the following:
>Anyone know of a script out there that can resize images and not
sacrifice image quality? I've been using phpthumb
(http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/) but when compared to an image
resized in photoshop it's products are not as good (yeah I upped the
image quality and tried out some filters - no luck).
Check out http://vikjavev.no/computing/ump.php

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Jan 5 '07 #6

P: n/a
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
>
We presently have imagemagick installed, is there a particular benefit
to magickwand that you had in mind?
I know nothing about the modules being discussed, but can contribute
this info: the feature you need for producing good quality thumbnails is
"bi-linear resampling". Basically it samples a range of pixels in both
directions and weights them to come up with a brightness for the new
pixel that will represent them all. Hope that helps with your quest!
Jan 5 '07 #7

P: n/a
Rik
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
We presently have imagemagick installed, is there a particular benefit
to magickwand that you had in mind?
Nope, jus a nice PHP interface.
I have no idea what phpthumb uses, but usually it's GD. People have been
telling me ImageMagick has some benifits/should be better then GD.
Personally, I'm not very well educated in image quality, and the
combination of not that great an eyesight and a lousy monitor renders me
quite useless in discussions which image is of better quality, unless the
differences are fairly large.

If both GD and ImageMagick, in combination with different filters, still do
not produce the desired results, I do not have an easy solution for you.
I'm only in the habit of making simple, light weight pictures for the web,
an not heavy quality :-).

A very blunt solution is offcourse to let Photoshop do it if that's the
only one that works: install, exec() or someting, e presto.
--
Rik Wasmus
Jan 5 '07 #8

P: n/a
be*******@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks Rik,

phpThumb actually has an unsharp mask filter built in and I've tickered
with it, but I still can't get the quality up to what photoshop
produces by default. I adobe is the gold standard, but resizing an
image seems rather trivial so I thought php could do it w/o a problem.

On Jan 4, 5:41 pm, "Rik" <luiheidsgoe...@hotmail.comwrote:
>berksh...@gmail.com wrote:
>>Hi,

Anyone know of a script out there that can resize images and not
sacrifice image quality? I've been using phpthumb
(http://phpthumb.sourceforge.net/) but when compared to an image
resized in photoshop it's products are not as good (yeah I upped the
image quality and tried out some filters - no luck).

Tutorials or scripts online preferred are preferred, but if you know
of a way to change the settings on phpthumb to maintain the quality
that would work too. Heck I'm even willing to use another scripting
language if necessary.

Thanks in advance!http://vikjavev.no/computing/ump.php
--
Rik Wasmus

Resizing or resampling? The latter produces much better quality. A
smidgen of unsharp mask tops it off. I use ImageMagick, but now that I
know about ump.php, I'll be giving it a try.

--
****************************
Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
*****************************
Jan 5 '07 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.