By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
432,510 Members | 1,810 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 432,510 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

mysql editor

P: n/a
Hi Group,
does anyone know of a php script that allows me to edit
(the data in) any mysql table?
Many Thanks,
David

Jun 27 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a

David Johnstone wrote:
Hi Group,
does anyone know of a php script that allows me to edit
(the data in) any mysql table?
Many Thanks,
David


Hi David

Do you mean a class or a web based-application if the latter try
phpMyAdmin: http://www.phpmyadmin.net

Deano

Jun 27 '06 #2

P: n/a
> > does anyone know of a php script that allows me to edit
(the data in) any mysql table?
Do you mean a class or a web based-application if the latter try
phpMyAdmin: http://www.phpmyadmin.net


Thanks Deano, that looks like a pretty useful package. But it
seems to be mainly for database maintenance and design.

What I'm really looking for is something like a data entry form
that I can use to edit data in an existing table. I'd like to be able
to edit existing rows in tabular format, enter new rows, and delete
rows. I don't think phpmyadmin is for this - or am I wrong?
Couldn't see anything like that in the description.

There are standalone clients like Navicat one can buy that
do this, but I think it should be fairly simple to implement something
like this in php that works via a web browser. If I really can't find
anything I'll have a go myself.

David


Deano


Jun 27 '06 #3

P: n/a
phpMyAdmin gives you the ability to edit one row/ record at a time with
a form-like interface. You of course can use SQL queries to edit more
than one row and phpMyAdmin lets you execute queries too.

If you are looking for something nicer and have control of the mysql
server, you might try openoffice.org's Base application. If you do not
have control of the server, then chances are the admins do not allow
remote access and you will not be able to connect to the server.

Jun 27 '06 #4

P: n/a
I use SQLyog, there's a scaled-down free version that does OK for editing.
It doesn't have a form interface and it is a stand-alone program that you
install on your own machine, but it does have the ability to edit tables in
a table interface. Find it at http://www.webyog.com/.

Christina

"David Johnstone" <da*******@mail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@x69g2000cwx.googlegr oups.com...
> does anyone know of a php script that allows me to edit
> (the data in) any mysql table?


Do you mean a class or a web based-application if the latter try
phpMyAdmin: http://www.phpmyadmin.net


Thanks Deano, that looks like a pretty useful package. But it
seems to be mainly for database maintenance and design.

What I'm really looking for is something like a data entry form
that I can use to edit data in an existing table. I'd like to be able
to edit existing rows in tabular format, enter new rows, and delete
rows. I don't think phpmyadmin is for this - or am I wrong?
Couldn't see anything like that in the description.

There are standalone clients like Navicat one can buy that
do this, but I think it should be fairly simple to implement something
like this in php that works via a web browser. If I really can't find
anything I'll have a go myself.

David


Deano

Jun 27 '06 #5

P: n/a
David Johnstone wrote:
Hi Group,
does anyone know of a php script that allows me to edit
(the data in) any mysql table?
Many Thanks,
David

Its not php but a really nice sql Frontend.. called SQL Workbench/J
http://www.sql-workbench.net/index.html

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.phpnet.us
__________________________________________________ ________________________

'If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
Jun 28 '06 #6

P: n/a
Chris wrote:
I use SQLyog, there's a scaled-down free version that does OK for editing.
It doesn't have a form interface and it is a stand-alone program that you
install on your own machine, but it does have the ability to edit tables in
a table interface. Find it at http://www.webyog.com/.


This is great, thanks! That's more or less what I'm looking for.
The pop-up at start/end is a bit annoying but for free it's ok.
I may even splash out big-time and get the pro version for $9!
Do you know why the standard windows copy/paste doesn't work
when editing a cell though?

Thanks to the others too. I'll have a closer look at openoffice.org's
Base and the sql workbench when I have time; phpmyadmin looks
good for other things I need too.

This has been a most productive thread for me, thanks again guys!

David

Jun 28 '06 #7

P: n/a

David Johnstone wrote:
Chris wrote:
I use SQLyog, there's a scaled-down free version that does OK for editing.
It doesn't have a form interface and it is a stand-alone program that you
install on your own machine, but it does have the ability to edit tables in
a table interface. Find it at http://www.webyog.com/.


This is great, thanks! That's more or less what I'm looking for.
The pop-up at start/end is a bit annoying but for free it's ok.
I may even splash out big-time and get the pro version for $9!
Do you know why the standard windows copy/paste doesn't work
when editing a cell though?

Thanks to the others too. I'll have a closer look at openoffice.org's
Base and the sql workbench when I have time; phpmyadmin looks
good for other things I need too.

This has been a most productive thread for me, thanks again guys!

David


MySQL Front is a decent windows client app (if you don't want a
web-based tool)

http://www.mysqlfront.de/

Jun 28 '06 #8

P: n/a
Just to come in on this thread again with my newest discovery, in case
anyone else is searching for this info, the best free mysql client I've
found so far is the free version of Toad for mysql from Quest software.
We have Toad for Oracle at work, but I somehow didn't think they
had anything for free.
David

Jul 2 '06 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.