By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,567 Members | 1,056 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,567 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

new to PHP -- basic questions...

P: n/a
I want to learn PHP.. I know JSP, Servlets, have been using Tomcat for
2 years now, and even though I know there are ways you can use PHP in
conjunction with Tomcat, I'd rather not tinker with Tomcat..

I think I'd rather try to do it straight 'from scratch'... following
instructions here, http://us2.php.net/tut.php.. so you need both Apache
**AND** PHP server? not sure what to dl when get to
http://www.apache.org/ (HTTP Server? top link on the left..) I suppose
for PHP I need to dl what's here, http://us2.php.net/downloads.php.. am
on W2k, would like a binary, I assume top one under "Windows Binaries"?

Does PHP server come with adequate instructions (I mean how to
install/run together w/the Apache server..)

would very much appreciate info/guidelines.. thank you..

Frances
Jun 1 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
18 Replies


P: n/a
found out can use w/IIS, which I already have installed... just dl'd
PHP.. it says here,
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/install...dows.installer

to install open "executable installer".. which one is that? php.exe?
php-win.exe? I unzipped downloaded zip, did this install server or just
unzip installer and other files? don't know if php.exe is actual
server-app or installer.. (not very useful installation instructions in
install.txt..) my IIS is at c:\Inetpub (and it works fine, have tested
already..) where do I install PHP server to make it run with IIS..
(downloaded to c:\ all files are now in c:\php..) I assume go-pear.bat
is to turn server on? (Tomcat server I also turn on w/a batch file..)
thank you..

Frances wrote:
I want to learn PHP.. I know JSP, Servlets, have been using Tomcat for
2 years now, and even though I know there are ways you can use PHP in
conjunction with Tomcat, I'd rather not tinker with Tomcat..

I think I'd rather try to do it straight 'from scratch'... following
instructions here, http://us2.php.net/tut.php.. so you need both Apache
**AND** PHP server? not sure what to dl when get to
http://www.apache.org/ (HTTP Server? top link on the left..) I suppose
for PHP I need to dl what's here, http://us2.php.net/downloads.php.. am
on W2k, would like a binary, I assume top one under "Windows Binaries"?

Does PHP server come with adequate instructions (I mean how to
install/run together w/the Apache server..)

would very much appreciate info/guidelines.. thank you..

Frances


Jun 1 '06 #2

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
I want to learn PHP.. I know JSP, Servlets, have been using Tomcat for
2 years now, and even though I know there are ways you can use PHP in
conjunction with Tomcat, I'd rather not tinker with Tomcat..
Hi Frances,

I come from the same place.
PHP will is a lot easier to master than J2EE (servlets/taghandlers/etc).
:-)

I think I'd rather try to do it straight 'from scratch'... following
instructions here, http://us2.php.net/tut.php.. so you need both Apache
**AND** PHP server?
Yes, you need a webserver.
This can be Apache (good choice).

PHP itself is not called a server.
You can install it cooperating with an existing webserver, so that webserver
can do PHP.
not sure what to dl when get to http://www.apache.org/ (HTTP Server? top link on the left..) I suppose
for PHP I need to dl what's here, http://us2.php.net/downloads.php.. am
on W2k, would like a binary, I assume top one under "Windows Binaries"?
Confusing? So is Tomcat for starters. ;-)
IMHO: By far the best way to install your PHP-stuff is AFTER reading through
http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/install.php

Do not use a ready-to-go installer unless you know what it is doing.


Does PHP server come with adequate instructions (I mean how to
install/run together w/the Apache server..)
That is described in detail in: II. Installation and Configuration

would very much appreciate info/guidelines.. thank you..

Frances


My advise is to first get apache up and running, and when you feel
confortable, start with PHP.
It sounds like you must learn both apache and PHP, so don't rush yourself.
Apache is huge with many configurationoptions, so it is impossible for
starters to read and understand it all right away.

The installinstructions for PHP from the above link are sometimes a bit
cryptic, but they are good and cover a lot of important stuff.

WAMP:
If you also plan on using mySQL as a database, then your setup is often
refered to on the net as WAMP (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP).

A few ready-to-go installers can be found to install the whole shebang right
away for you, but I don't know if they are good/reliable.
(I rather do stuff by hand myself untill I think I understand what is going
on.)

If you feel lost, always start at www.php.net and read the usercontributed
notes. In 90% of the cases you'll see others had your questions/problems
before.

Good luck!

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Jun 1 '06 #3

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
found out can use w/IIS, which I already have installed... just dl'd
PHP.. it says here,
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/install...dows.installer

to install open "executable installer".. which one is that? php.exe?
php-win.exe? I unzipped downloaded zip, did this install server or just
unzip installer and other files? don't know if php.exe is actual
server-app or installer.. (not very useful installation instructions in
install.txt..) my IIS is at c:\Inetpub (and it works fine, have tested
already..) where do I install PHP server to make it run with IIS..
(downloaded to c:\ all files are now in c:\php..) I assume go-pear.bat
is to turn server on? (Tomcat server I also turn on w/a batch file..)
thank you..


Do not use that installer, unless you are not planning on using ANY
extension (eg: a database).
Install it by hand.
ISAPI is now working good under IIS.
The instalationsteps are easy.

go-pear has nothing to do with installing PHP, but with extra packages/libs.

Please take your time before you rush into things, and read first through
the whole installationsection before proceeding, believe me: it will safe
you a headache later.

If you don't, you'll probably end up with 4 php.ini's, ISAPI and CGI both
installed, some apache you are not sure of if it is running (or was it
IIS?), what did you change where in IIS, etc etc.

go read the installinstructions.

Good luck.

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Jun 1 '06 #4

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:

<snip>
WAMP:
If you also plan on using mySQL as a database, then your setup is often
refered to on the net as WAMP (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP).

A few ready-to-go installers can be found to install the whole shebang
right away for you, but I don't know if they are good/reliable.
(I rather do stuff by hand myself untill I think I understand what is
going on.)


By the way: if you want to go with a all-in-one installer (and not do it by
hand), I heard this one is good:
http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Jun 1 '06 #5

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:

<snip>
WAMP:
If you also plan on using mySQL as a database, then your setup is often
refered to on the net as WAMP (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP).

A few ready-to-go installers can be found to install the whole shebang
right away for you, but I don't know if they are good/reliable.
(I rather do stuff by hand myself untill I think I understand what is
going on.)

By the way: if you want to go with a all-in-one installer (and not do it by
hand), I heard this one is good:
http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

Regards,
Erwin Moller


thank you very much Erwin.. don't even know what you mean by install
"by hand" (or by "ready-to-go installer"..) don't know which ones are
which among files I downloaded.. I downloaded PHP 5.1.4 zip package
(first link under "Windows Binaries")

I'm not rushing into things.. I did read this pg
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/install...dows.installer..
again, it says to open "executable installer".. I don't know which one
that is.. (yes, instructions ARE "a bit cryptic".. this is the problem
for newcomers...:)

(yes, I do want to make db-connections (already have MySQL installed and
make connections to it from both Tomcat and stand-alone java classes..
yes, btw, Tomcat, is also confusing at the beginning, took me a long
time to figure out how to set it up first time I installed it.. now I
can install and set up Tomcat in no time...:)

so does it make sense for me to run PHP with IIS? (what is ISAPI?) or
should I download Apache Server anyway and run it with that instead?
Apache the way you describe sounds complicated, mabye IIS is a better
option for me? I already have MySQL installed, so WAMP doesn't make
much sense for me does it?

don't mean to sound ungrateful, but am afraid yr responses confused me
even more....:) still, thank you for your help, I do appreciate it...

Jun 1 '06 #6

P: n/a
Hi Frances

One EASY solution

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Single program that will install EVERYTHING you need to get going

Apache 2.2.2
MySQL 5.0.21
PHP 5.1.4
phpMyAdmin 2.8.1
XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.3
FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.16c

Download the XAMPP "Installer" version, and it'll install and configure the
Web Server (Apache - 2000% better than IIS), PHP, MySQL etc.

Unbeatable!

D.
Jun 1 '06 #7

P: n/a
thank you.. I appreciate your help.. I already have MySQL installed,
however... so can I 'bypass' installation of MySQL? (I have read
install.txt (that comes w/download) more thoroughly since I last
posted.. still find instructions to install manually quite confusing
(also it doesn't help that this file contains instructions for both PHP4
and PHP5..) also I tried opening php-win.exe but it won't open..)

thanks again..
Frances
Virginner wrote:
Hi Frances

One EASY solution

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Single program that will install EVERYTHING you need to get going

Apache 2.2.2
MySQL 5.0.21
PHP 5.1.4
phpMyAdmin 2.8.1
XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.3
FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.16c

Download the XAMPP "Installer" version, and it'll install and configure the
Web Server (Apache - 2000% better than IIS), PHP, MySQL etc.

Unbeatable!

D.

Jun 2 '06 #8

P: n/a
disregard.. I have MySQL 4.1.. might as well install 5.0.. will
certainly try what you suggest.. again many thanks..
Frances wrote:
thank you.. I appreciate your help.. I already have MySQL installed,
however... so can I 'bypass' installation of MySQL? (I have read
install.txt (that comes w/download) more thoroughly since I last
posted.. still find instructions to install manually quite confusing
(also it doesn't help that this file contains instructions for both PHP4
and PHP5..) also I tried opening php-win.exe but it won't open..)

thanks again..
Frances
Virginner wrote:
Hi Frances

One EASY solution

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Single program that will install EVERYTHING you need to get going

Apache 2.2.2
MySQL 5.0.21
PHP 5.1.4
phpMyAdmin 2.8.1
XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.3
FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.16c

Download the XAMPP "Installer" version, and it'll install and
configure the
Web Server (Apache - 2000% better than IIS), PHP, MySQL etc.

Unbeatable!

D.

Jun 2 '06 #9

P: n/a
Virginner, I just installed XAMPP.. after installation was complete got
prompte whether I wanted to install Apache "as a service" -- wasn't sure
what to do, said yes, but got error: "Apache SSL Port 443 is blcoked --
install of Apache Service failed" what does it mean exactly to install
something "as a service" don't remember being asked that w/Tomcat.. I
said "no" on FTP service, b/c already have an FTP client, then realized
it wanted to install FTP **server** as a service, so can I do this after
everything is installed.. again, need to know exactly what it means to
install "as a service" is this normal installation, if so why do you get
asked... thanks again..

Frances
Virginner wrote:
Hi Frances

One EASY solution

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Single program that will install EVERYTHING you need to get going

Apache 2.2.2
MySQL 5.0.21
PHP 5.1.4
phpMyAdmin 2.8.1
XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.3
FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.16c

Download the XAMPP "Installer" version, and it'll install and configure the
Web Server (Apache - 2000% better than IIS), PHP, MySQL etc.

Unbeatable!

D.

Jun 2 '06 #10

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
Virginner, I just installed XAMPP.. after installation was complete got
prompte whether I wanted to install Apache "as a service" -- wasn't sure
what to do, said yes, but got error: "Apache SSL Port 443 is blcoked --
install of Apache Service failed" what does it mean exactly to install
something "as a service" don't remember being asked that w/Tomcat.. I
said "no" on FTP service, b/c already have an FTP client, then realized
it wanted to install FTP **server** as a service, so can I do this after
everything is installed.. again, need to know exactly what it means to
install "as a service" is this normal installation, if so why do you get
asked... thanks again..


Services are demons <http://www.answers.com/demon> so that you
don't have to run the program manually; they will start running once
you boot your system. Can be controlled with services control panel.
Services are available only in NT machines and hence XP.

You cannot run two servers in the same port (443) unless you
explicitely change the port in configuration.

FWIW, <news:11**********************@l41g2000cwc.googleg roups.com>
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp....77ae082bba11b3 )

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Jun 4 '06 #11

P: n/a
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
Frances wrote:
Virginner, I just installed XAMPP.. after installation was complete got
prompte whether I wanted to install Apache "as a service" -- wasn't sure
what to do, said yes, but got error: "Apache SSL Port 443 is blcoked --
install of Apache Service failed" what does it mean exactly to install
something "as a service" don't remember being asked that w/Tomcat.. I
said "no" on FTP service, b/c already have an FTP client, then realized
it wanted to install FTP **server** as a service, so can I do this after
everything is installed.. again, need to know exactly what it means to
install "as a service" is this normal installation, if so why do you get
asked... thanks again..

Services are demons <http://www.answers.com/demon> so that you
don't have to run the program manually; they will start running once
you boot your system. Can be controlled with services control panel.
Services are available only in NT machines and hence XP.

You cannot run two servers in the same port (443) unless you
explicitely change the port in configuration.

FWIW, <news:11**********************@l41g2000cwc.googleg roups.com>
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp....77ae082bba11b3 )


thank you for your response, Rajesh.. I turned off IIS and now Apache
runs fine.. however, am having problems with MySQL.. when am here,
http://localhost/xampp/index.php, and click on CD collection demo get
this error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]:
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in
C:\xampp\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 64

Could not connect to database!
Is MySQL running or did you change the password?

I have not changed any passwords or any settings for anything, just
intalled, did nothing else..

now only thing I can think of is when was intalling got alert that said
something like "MySQL seems to be installed [or maybe it said 'running']
already -- Aborted.." now I have MySQL intalled already at C:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1, and I use it with Tomcat (and also connect
from stand-alone Java classes); so: can you not have two diff. intances
of MySQL servers intalled? is this the problem.. xampp is at
c:\xampp.. thank you very much..

Frances
Jun 6 '06 #12

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
Frances wrote:
Virginner, I just installed XAMPP.. after installation was complete got
prompte whether I wanted to install Apache "as a service" -- wasn't sure
what to do, said yes, but got error: "Apache SSL Port 443 is blcoked --
install of Apache Service failed" what does it mean exactly to install
something "as a service" don't remember being asked that w/Tomcat.. I
said "no" on FTP service, b/c already have an FTP client, then realized
it wanted to install FTP **server** as a service, so can I do this after
everything is installed.. again, need to know exactly what it means to
install "as a service" is this normal installation, if so why do you get
asked... thanks again..


Services are demons <http://www.answers.com/demon> so that you
don't have to run the program manually; they will start running once
you boot your system. Can be controlled with services control panel.
Services are available only in NT machines and hence XP.

You cannot run two servers in the same port (443) unless you
explicitely change the port in configuration.

FWIW, <news:11**********************@l41g2000cwc.googleg roups.com>
(http://groups.google.com/group/comp....77ae082bba11b3 )


thank you for your response, Rajesh.. I turned off IIS and now Apache
runs fine.. however, am having problems with MySQL.. when am here,
http://localhost/xampp/index.php, and click on CD collection demo get
this error:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]:
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in
C:\xampp\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 64

Could not connect to database!
Is MySQL running or did you change the password?

I have not changed any passwords or any settings for anything, just
intalled, did nothing else..

now only thing I can think of is when was intalling got alert that said
something like "MySQL seems to be installed [or maybe it said 'running']
already -- Aborted.." now I have MySQL intalled already at C:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1, and I use it with Tomcat (and also connect
from stand-alone Java classes); so: can you not have two diff. intances
of MySQL servers intalled? is this the problem.. xampp is at
c:\xampp.. thank you very much..

Frances


sorry, one more note: when I go to 'status' everything's running ok
except MySQL and SMTP service (and indeed I tried sending an e-mail from
e-mail form at 'Mercury Mail' and sending of e-mail failed..) this is a
bit frustrating.. I really want to get this going.. thanks again..
Frances
Jun 6 '06 #13

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
<snip>
now only thing I can think of is when was intalling got alert that said
something like "MySQL seems to be installed [or maybe it said 'running']
already -- Aborted.." now I have MySQL intalled already at C:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1, and I use it with Tomcat (and also connect
from stand-alone Java classes); so: can you not have two diff. intances
of MySQL servers intalled? is this the problem.. xampp is at
c:\xampp.. thank you very much..


Yes, if the port is already in use, it cannot be get installed.

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Jun 6 '06 #14

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
<snip>
sorry, one more note: when I go to 'status' everything's running ok
except MySQL and SMTP service (and indeed I tried sending an e-mail from
e-mail form at 'Mercury Mail' and sending of e-mail failed..) this is a
bit frustrating.. I really want to get this going.. thanks again..


You may not need FTP service. You need to start MercuryMail to test
the mail; you can do that by starting XAMPP control panel (shortcut is
available on the desktop)

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Jun 6 '06 #15

P: n/a
R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
Frances wrote:
<snip>
now only thing I can think of is when was intalling got alert that said
something like "MySQL seems to be installed [or maybe it said 'running']
already -- Aborted.." now I have MySQL intalled already at C:\Program
Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1, and I use it with Tomcat (and also connect
from stand-alone Java classes); so: can you not have two diff. intances
of MySQL servers intalled? is this the problem.. xampp is at
c:\xampp.. thank you very much..

Yes, if the port is already in use, it cannot be get installed.

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/


oh my gosh, for MySQL it HAS to be port 3306, right?? hmmm..
I assume if I set it up right I should be able to use same MySQL server
for everything right? so: I think maybe what I need to do is for PHP
use MySQL that I'm already using with Tomcat... I think in that case it
would be a good idea for me to upgrade that installation to 5.0... but
THEN: 1) can I use the same db's I've been using w/4.1 with 5.0? 2)
how do I "transfer" the db's that come w/PHP to this installation? and
need to find out how to connect to this MySQL installation instead of
the one that comes w/XAMPP... (what driver does PHP use? I don't see
driver-connection in PHP code.. all code I see to connect to db is

mysql_connect("localhost","root",""); )

how come no password.... in Java I have to do all this to connect to db:

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance ();
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/<dbName>?user=root&password=<password>");

need to connect to this same db-server w/PHP (can be a diff db, of
course..) I don't see a password in PHP code to connect, I don't see
mention of any driver.. ok, many thanks..

Jun 6 '06 #16

P: n/a
Frances wrote:
<snip>
THEN: 1) can I use the same db's I've been using w/4.1 with 5.0?
I guess, yes. But, not sure. You try.
2)
how do I "transfer" the db's that come w/PHP to this installation?
You copy and paste mysql\data directory and then done (hopefully).
and
need to find out how to connect to this MySQL installation instead of
the one that comes w/XAMPP... (what driver does PHP use? I don't see
driver-connection in PHP code.. all code I see to connect to db is

mysql_connect("localhost","root",""); )

how come no password....
If password is set, you need to use; otherwise no.
in Java I have to do all this to connect to db:

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance ();
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/<dbName>?user=root&password=<password>");

need to connect to this same db-server w/PHP (can be a diff db, of
course..) I don't see a password in PHP code to connect, I don't see
mention of any driver..


You may then need to go for ODBC <http://in.php.net/odbc>

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Jun 6 '06 #17

P: n/a
thank you very much for yr help.. just posted a question in MySQL ng to
find out more details about upgrading etc.. but also would like to ask
about something you mentioned: if from XAMPP I connect to MySQL server
outside XAMPP installation I need a driver, but otherwise I don't, is
this what you are saying? gosh, this is getting complicated.. ideally
I would like to connect to MySQL from Tomcat, XAMPP, IIS..

(also need to solve this port issue, so can use Tomcat, IIS, and XAMPP
all w/o having to turn servers off an on all the time.. when I installed
IIS I changed it to port 8080 so it wouldn't conflict w/Tomcat, but
still when I installed XAMPP Apache wouldn't start b/c of IIS.. now
had to turn IIS off to run Apache.. I don't get that (again b/c had set
up IIS to run on port 8080.. and indeed load IIS stuff in browser with
http:localhost:8080....)

many thanks...
Frances

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah wrote:
Frances wrote:
<snip>
THEN: 1) can I use the same db's I've been using w/4.1 with 5.0?

I guess, yes. But, not sure. You try.

2)
how do I "transfer" the db's that come w/PHP to this installation?

You copy and paste mysql\data directory and then done (hopefully).

and
need to find out how to connect to this MySQL installation instead of
the one that comes w/XAMPP... (what driver does PHP use? I don't see
driver-connection in PHP code.. all code I see to connect to db is

mysql_connect("localhost","root",""); )

how come no password....

If password is set, you need to use; otherwise no.

in Java I have to do all this to connect to db:

Class.forName("com.mysql.jdbc.Driver").newInstance ();
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/<dbName>?user=root&password=<password>");

need to connect to this same db-server w/PHP (can be a diff db, of
course..) I don't see a password in PHP code to connect, I don't see
mention of any driver..

You may then need to go for ODBC <http://in.php.net/odbc>

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com/

Jun 6 '06 #18

P: n/a
"Frances" <fd***@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:44***********************@news.sunsite.dk...
| thank you very much for yr help.. just posted a question in MySQL ng to
| find out more details about upgrading etc.. but also would like to ask
| about something you mentioned: if from XAMPP I connect to MySQL server
| outside XAMPP installation I need a driver, but otherwise I don't, is
| this what you are saying? gosh, this is getting complicated.. ideally
| I would like to connect to MySQL from Tomcat, XAMPP, IIS..
Hi Frances,

Don't get confused about XAMPP. It's just an installer that does the job of
setting everything up for you. It also has a couple of extras like the
control panel thing. You are NOT running XAMPP - you are running Apache,
MySQL etc...

XAMPP installs a MySQL server which can be used by *anything* from
*anywhere* in the world (given global access to your PC).

It sounds a bit like you had all sorts of cr*p (MS stuff!) on your PC before
you started. So, get rid of IIS, SQL Server, any old MySQL etc, and start
with a clean setup. It might even be worth killing your firewall

Run the XAMPP installer, start Apache, start MySQL Click on Admin next to
the Apache button. (You don't have to run stuff as services until you know
it all works).

Go to the security section.

It'll whinge about MySQL having no password. Scroll down to
http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php
Click on it, and put in a password.

Restart the MySQL server with the control applet.

Now try the phpMyAdmin

Now try a script, eg:
<?php
$dbok = mysql_connect('127.0.0.1', 'root',
'this_is_my_root_password_cause_i_just_changed_it' );
?>

by-the-way #1, you can get MySQL to run on any port (not just 3306)
by-the-way #2 No, you do not need drivers for anything that natively
understands MySQL. For things that don't, eg. Microsoft Access, you use a
common "interface" which is ODBC - go to mysql.com and download the Windows
version, install it, then you can query your MySQL using, say, Excel!!!
D.
Jun 7 '06 #19

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.