By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
464,751 Members | 1,115 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 464,751 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Latin Capital A with circumflex preceding a pound symbol.

P: n/a

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, and apologise if this is the
wrong NG.

I am using PHP 5.0.5 and Apache 2.0.54 in a Win2k environment.

Lately I have been playng with RSS feeds. I managed to get "lastRSS"
which is a simple RSS parser.

When I tried to setup an RSS feed to eBay to get custom searches
straight to my desktop I noticed that the UK Pound sterling symbol is
shown preceded by a Latin capital A with circumflex. (An 'A' wearning
a hat).

I checked the RSS feed and the extra char is not there.

So, I am unsure how to progress to sort this out. I don't know if PHP
or apache is the problem. I can only find one other comment on Google
where someone is having the same problem. But still no answer.

I checked the changelogs for the lastest versions of PHP and Apache
and there is no mention of this bug.

Is it just me?
Any clues will be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Nick Thomas
Feb 2 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies

P: n/a
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:35:22 GMT, ju**@junk.com wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, and apologise if this is the
wrong NG.

I am using PHP 5.0.5 and Apache 2.0.54 in a Win2k environment.

Lately I have been playng with RSS feeds. I managed to get "lastRSS"
which is a simple RSS parser.

When I tried to setup an RSS feed to eBay to get custom searches
straight to my desktop I noticed that the UK Pound sterling symbol is
shown preceded by a Latin capital A with circumflex. (An 'A' wearning
a hat).

I checked the RSS feed and the extra char is not there.

So, I am unsure how to progress to sort this out. I don't know if PHP
or apache is the problem. I can only find one other comment on Google
where someone is having the same problem. But still no answer.

I checked the changelogs for the lastest versions of PHP and Apache
and there is no mention of this bug.

Is it just me?

Any clues will be much appreciated.


First thing to consider is the encoding - what encoding is the RSS feed in? As
it's XML, the most common encoding is UTF-8.

What did you check the RSS feed with? If you used a browser or a half decent
editor it would most likely have understood the encoding and presented the
character correctly.

But your PHP code may be trying to treat UTF-8 as single-byte ISO-8859-1.

A British pound symbol is two bytes in UTF-8 - it's U+00A3 which is 0xC2 0xA3
in UTF-8.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...00A3/index.htm

If you tried to display this as ISO-8859-1 you'd get:

0xC2 = Latin capital A with circumflex
0xA3 = British pound symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1
--
Andy Hassall :: an**@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool
Feb 2 '06 #2

P: n/a
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:00:17 +0000, Andy Hassall <an**@andyh.co.uk>
wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:35:22 GMT, ju**@junk.com wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, and apologise if this is the
wrong NG.

I am using PHP 5.0.5 and Apache 2.0.54 in a Win2k environment.

Lately I have been playng with RSS feeds. I managed to get "lastRSS"
which is a simple RSS parser.

When I tried to setup an RSS feed to eBay to get custom searches
straight to my desktop I noticed that the UK Pound sterling symbol is
shown preceded by a Latin capital A with circumflex. (An 'A' wearning
a hat).

I checked the RSS feed and the extra char is not there.

So, I am unsure how to progress to sort this out. I don't know if PHP
or apache is the problem. I can only find one other comment on Google
where someone is having the same problem. But still no answer.

I checked the changelogs for the lastest versions of PHP and Apache
and there is no mention of this bug.

Is it just me?

Any clues will be much appreciated.


First thing to consider is the encoding - what encoding is the RSS feed in? As
it's XML, the most common encoding is UTF-8.

What did you check the RSS feed with? If you used a browser or a half decent
editor it would most likely have understood the encoding and presented the
character correctly.

But your PHP code may be trying to treat UTF-8 as single-byte ISO-8859-1.

A British pound symbol is two bytes in UTF-8 - it's U+00A3 which is 0xC2 0xA3
in UTF-8.

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...00A3/index.htm

If you tried to display this as ISO-8859-1 you'd get:

0xC2 = Latin capital A with circumflex
0xA3 = British pound symbol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

Ahh. I realize that my knowledge in this area is somewhat lacking.
After some more digging (and googling) I now come to the unfortunate
realisation that I made a mistake.

To fix my problem I simply needed to add :
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
to the <head> section of my HTML page.

I now understand that this is not a PHP problem at all, and I
apologise for suggesting such.

Thanks to Andy for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards
Nick
Feb 4 '06 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.