468,505 Members | 1,548 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,505 developers. It's quick & easy.

phone number formatting

this is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance.

I am trying to format a number to look like a phone number with "-"'s
between the numbers etc e.g. 15554256987 should be formatted as
1-555-425-6987.

Thanks
Jul 17 '05 #1
3 9470
Shay Hurley wrote:
this is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance.

I am trying to format a number to look like a phone number with "-"'s
between the numbers etc e.g. 15554256987 should be formatted as
1-555-425-6987.

What have you tried?
What did you expect and what did your script do?

Are you sure all your numbers have exactly 11 digits?

Here's a 'brute force' method to insert dashes at the positions you
specified. You might want to turn it into a function ... and change the
positions (and quantity) of dashes to insert.

#v+
<?php
$number = '15554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 1) . '-' . substr($number, 1);
// now $number = '1-5554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 5) . '-' . substr($number, 5);
// now $number = '1-555-4256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 9) . '-' . substr($number, 9);
// now $number = '1-555-425-6987';
?>
#v-
--
--= my mail box only accepts =--
--= Content-Type: text/plain =--
--= Size below 10001 bytes =--
Jul 17 '05 #2
Like Pedro said, a few problems...
what if I enter (555) 555-1212, or (555)-333-3321 or +1 555 333 1222 or, if
I'm from germany... 011 49 030 30 30 90 (phone number of my favorite hotel
in Berlin...)

Pedro Graca wrote:
Shay Hurley wrote:
this is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance.

I am trying to format a number to look like a phone number with "-"'s
between the numbers etc e.g. 15554256987 should be formatted as
1-555-425-6987.

What have you tried?
What did you expect and what did your script do?

Are you sure all your numbers have exactly 11 digits?

Here's a 'brute force' method to insert dashes at the positions you
specified. You might want to turn it into a function ... and change
the positions (and quantity) of dashes to insert.

#v+
<?php
$number = '15554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 1) . '-' . substr($number, 1);
// now $number = '1-5554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 5) . '-' . substr($number, 5);
// now $number = '1-555-4256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 9) . '-' . substr($number, 9);
// now $number = '1-555-425-6987';

#v-

Jul 17 '05 #3
Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. I am getting a list of
numbers of different lengths, could be anything from 5 digits (directory
enquiries) to local numbers (8 digits) to international numbers (12 or
13 numbers). There is no foratting on the numbers I receive from the db
so they are just like 14567890, 11811, 15552345678, 447878787712.
Agelmar wrote:
Like Pedro said, a few problems...
what if I enter (555) 555-1212, or (555)-333-3321 or +1 555 333 1222 or, if
I'm from germany... 011 49 030 30 30 90 (phone number of my favorite hotel
in Berlin...)

Pedro Graca wrote:
Shay Hurley wrote:
this is probably a stupid question so apologies in advance.

I am trying to format a number to look like a phone number with "-"'s
between the numbers etc e.g. 15554256987 should be formatted as
1-555-425-6987.

What have you tried?
What did you expect and what did your script do?

Are you sure all your numbers have exactly 11 digits?

Here's a 'brute force' method to insert dashes at the positions you
specified. You might want to turn it into a function ... and change
the positions (and quantity) of dashes to insert.

#v+
<?php
$number = '15554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 1) . '-' . substr($number, 1);
// now $number = '1-5554256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 5) . '-' . substr($number, 5);
// now $number = '1-555-4256987';

$number = substr($number, 0, 9) . '-' . substr($number, 9);
// now $number = '1-555-425-6987';

#v-


Jul 17 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by Brian Henry | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Earl | last post: by
1 post views Thread by womblesjc | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Blue Streak | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by gieforce | last post: by
reply views Thread by fmendoza | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.