By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,994 Members | 2,036 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,994 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

morenews

P: n/a
I try to use MoreNews 1.0 to get the latest headlines on my website. I
really like the script (http://mberg.buildafrica.org/morenews/ can be
seen in action here: http://www.handystart.com/morenews/news.php )
published under GPL, but there is a bug that is really annoying me. When
there is a subscription site in the xml feed, the news-link below will
be like:
http://www.latimes.com/services/site...pl?x102503623&

....while it's supposed to be just:
http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?x102503623&

Has anyone done any work on this script, or is there a genuis that knows
how to correct it? I have tried to make some modefications, but just
can't make it right...

Inge

--
http://www.handystart.com/

Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a

"Inge Knudsen" <an******@eyepublish.com> schreef in bericht
news:09********************@news2.e.nsc.no...

Has anyone done any work on this script, or is there a genuis that knows
how to correct it? I have tried to make some modefications, but just
can't make it right...


I have had a quick look at it, and since it is reading the content from the
<url /> element and copying it directly in the output, I don't regard it as
a bug from the script but just as an alternative format of the URL in the
feed.

As far as I can see, you can just leave it as is, but when you really don't
want it, you could try the following workaround to fix the URL's:

Replace the characterData function in the class.morenews.php file with the
following:

function characterData($parser, $data) {
if ($this->tags[$this->cur_tag]) {
if ($this->cur_tag == "URL") {
$strpos = strpos($data, "http://c.moreover.com");
if ($strpos !== false) {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim(substr($data, $strpos));
} else {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim($data);
}
} else {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim($data);
}
}
}
HTH,
JW


Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Janwillem Borleffs wrote:

I have had a quick look at it, and since it is reading the content from the
<url /> element and copying it directly in the output, I don't regard it as
a bug from the script but just as an alternative format of the URL in the
feed.
The problem is that it messes up the wrong link. If you click on 'Exxon
fined $11.8bn in gas row' here
(http://www.handystart.com/morenews/n...siness+stories)
now, you will be redirected to www.fortune.com....

As far as I can see, you can just leave it as is, but when you really don't
want it, you could try the following workaround to fix the URL's:

Replace the characterData function in the class.morenews.php file with the
following:

function characterData($parser, $data) {
if ($this->tags[$this->cur_tag]) {
if ($this->cur_tag == "URL") {
$strpos = strpos($data, "http://c.moreover.com");
if ($strpos !== false) {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim(substr($data, $strpos));
} else {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim($data);
}
} else {
$this->cur_val .= ltrim($data);
}
}
}
HTH,


Sorry, still couldn't make it work...

Thanks,

Inge (is rather stupid when it comes to PHP)

--
http://www.handystart.com/

Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a

"Inge Knudsen" <an******@eyepublish.com> wrote in message
news:e8********************@news2.e.nsc.no...

Sorry, still couldn't make it work...

Thanks,


Saw the problem, the fix is even easier:

In the class.morenews.php file, extend the $tags array to match the
additional elements:

$this->tags = array( "ARTICLE" => 1,
"URL" => 2,
"HEADLINE_TEXT" => 2,
"SOURCE" => 2,
"MEDIA_TYPE" => 2,
"DOCUMENT_URL" => 2,
"HARVEST_TIME" => 2,
"TAGLINE" =>2,
"CLUSTER" => 2,
"ACCESS_REGISTRATION" => 2,
"ACCESS_STATUS" => 2
);
JW

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Janwillem Borleffs wrote:
"Inge Knudsen" <an******@eyepublish.com> wrote in message
news:e8********************@news2.e.nsc.no...
Sorry, still couldn't make it work...

Thanks,

Saw the problem, the fix is even easier:

In the class.morenews.php file, extend the $tags array to match the
additional elements:

$this->tags = array( "ARTICLE" => 1,
"URL" => 2,
"HEADLINE_TEXT" => 2,
"SOURCE" => 2,
"MEDIA_TYPE" => 2,
"DOCUMENT_URL" => 2,
"HARVEST_TIME" => 2,
"TAGLINE" =>2,
"CLUSTER" => 2,
"ACCESS_REGISTRATION" => 2,
"ACCESS_STATUS" => 2
);


Thanks, you're my hero :-) It now works perkect. I somehow tried
something like that, but must have missed a tag or two.

Thanks,

Inge

--
http://www.handystart.com/

Jul 17 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.