By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,587 Members | 1,181 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,587 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

PHP MySQL WHY?

P: n/a
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?

Is there some winning advantage that MySQL has over PostGRES that makes
it the de-facto standard in the PHP world?

Just curious, because I've been playing with PostGRES for about a month
now and it seems to scale MUCH better than MySQL, what with
clustering,transactions and all that jazz.

Thoughts?

Sep 26 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
29 Replies


P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?

Is there some winning advantage that MySQL has over PostGRES that makes
it the de-facto standard in the PHP world?

Just curious, because I've been playing with PostGRES for about a month
now and it seems to scale MUCH better than MySQL, what with
clustering,transactions and all that jazz.

Thoughts?


Hi,

My thoughts?
Go Postgresql!
http://www.postgresql.org/
But you found that website already I guess. :-)

All Postgresql-functions in PHP work perfectly.
I'll never switch db as long as Postgresql is around.
It scales better, has LOADS more functionality, and is superrobust.
;-)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Sep 26 '05 #2

P: n/a
Actually I pretty much feel the same... My question I'm asking though
is why MySQL? I just get the feeling that with it's prevailance that I
must be missing something here, other than of course it seems to be the
defacto standard.

Sep 26 '05 #3

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
Actually I pretty much feel the same... My question I'm asking though
is why MySQL? I just get the feeling that with it's prevailance that
I must be missing something here, other than of course it seems to be
the defacto standard.


I think it is a chicken and egg situation with ISPs. They offered it,
because it was popular and it was popular because ISP offered it.

Well, that is my theory anyway. Everyone tells me that Postsomething is the
best DB out there. Hopefully MySQL will come to the play.

Cheers

Nicolaas
Sep 26 '05 #4

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
Actually I pretty much feel the same... My question I'm asking though
is why MySQL? I just get the feeling that with it's prevailance that I
must be missing something here, other than of course it seems to be the
defacto standard.


Hi,

Well, it has probably everything to do with the fact that mySQL was working
on M$ machines, and Postgresql was not.
So everybody coming from M$ world picked mySQL, and even if they used it on
a webserver that runs GNU/Linux, they wanted mySQL because they knew it
already.

But Postgresql has been ported to M$ as well now, and works good I heard.
(I didn't try the M$-Postgresql thought myself...)

About a week ago I discovered that MySQL doesn't support FK constraints, and
I asked a similar question in this ng: "Why is mySQL so popular? It doesn't
even support basic stuff like FK???"

One of the answers I received said that it is possible with mySQL, in
certain setups: INNO-DB-tables.

Anyway: mySQL is popular because it was running everywhere and was open
sourced. Postgresql didn't run everywhere. (I always wondered why anybody
would bother to run a webserver under W$, but that is beside the point
here.)

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 26 '05 #5

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?


I've been using MySQL for some time - it works. I don't have enough
experience with Postgres to criticise it - indeed it is offered as GPL
without restrictions (a lot of people ignore the exceptions in the MySQL
license) which to my mind would make it more approriate. I will say that
MySQL has been the most reliable DBMS I've used, and easiest to manage
(compared with Oracle, MS-SQLserver, Progress and Pencil). (I'm not wanting
to start a flame war here - this is my experience - not necessarily yours).

Is there an equivalent to phpMySQLAdmin for Postgres?

SQLite does not scale well.

C.

Sep 26 '05 #6

P: n/a
Colin McKinnon wrote:
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?


I've been using MySQL for some time - it works. I don't have enough
experience with Postgres to criticise it - indeed it is offered as GPL
without restrictions (a lot of people ignore the exceptions in the MySQL
license) which to my mind would make it more approriate. I will say that
MySQL has been the most reliable DBMS I've used, and easiest to manage
(compared with Oracle, MS-SQLserver, Progress and Pencil). (I'm not
wanting to start a flame war here - this is my experience - not
necessarily yours).

Is there an equivalent to phpMySQLAdmin for Postgres?

SQLite does not scale well.

C.


Hi,

I cannot restain myself, sorry.
But mySQL is the best db you ever saw?
Do you think it is better than Oracle?
Or MS SQLServer (one of the few good products BOUGHT by M$) ?
I really cannot agree.

I worked a lot with MS SQL Server. Only hit on 1 bug. Worked like a charm,
and the adminpanel is great.
Postgresql: My personal favorite: GPL, featurerich, robust, well documented.
Oracle: I worked (a little) with Oracle, which is intimidating to say the
least, but it is rocksteady, and very featurerich. You just need a
course/good book before you can start with Oracle without screwing things
up. :P

The only thing that speaks for MySQL is that is small, simple, and easy to
set up.
THAT is worth something, but really: It is not a very sophisticated DB.
And their licence is a little unclear to me. Not GPL.
No flame, or insult intented!
I just had to say this. ;-)

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 26 '05 #7

P: n/a
Yes there is a phpMySQLAdmin fo PostGres
It's called phppgadmin (not an typo, but it is a bit of a bitch to
type).

Sep 26 '05 #8

P: n/a
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:20:14 +0200, Erwin Moller
<si******************************************@spam yourself.com> wrote:
Colin McKinnon wrote:
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

I've been using MySQL for some time - it works. I don't have enough
experience with Postgres to criticise it - indeed it is offered as GPL
without restrictions (a lot of people ignore the exceptions in the MySQL
license) which to my mind would make it more approriate. I will say that
MySQL has been the most reliable DBMS I've used, and easiest to manage
(compared with Oracle, MS-SQLserver, Progress and Pencil). (I'm not
wanting to start a flame war here - this is my experience - not
necessarily yours).

Is there an equivalent to phpMySQLAdmin for Postgres?

SQLite does not scale well.

C.


Hi,

I cannot restain myself, sorry.
But mySQL is the best db you ever saw?


Perhaps he meant best FREE db he ever saw? MySql works well for most
web apps. It's fast. It's free. Postgres is ok too. Lots of
postgres bigots out there. But if you're going to build an app based
on a free database, you'll choose the one that more people know about
and use. That'd be MySql right now.
Do you think it is better than Oracle?
Informix was better than oracle until IBM bought it to bury it.
Oracle has a better market share. That's why people use it.
Or MS SQLServer (one of the few good products BOUGHT by M$) ?

GOOD? Fool.

--
gburnore@databasix dot com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
How you look depends on where you go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
DataBasix | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ 3 4 1 4 2 ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ۳
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division | Official Proof of Purchase
================================================== =========================
Want one? GET one! http://signup.databasix.com
================================================== =========================
Sep 26 '05 #9

P: n/a
On 26 Sep 2005 01:07:00 -0700, sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name.

Facinating.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
How you look depends on where you go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
DataBasix | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ 3 4 1 4 2 ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ۳
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division | Official Proof of Purchase
================================================== =========================
Want one? GET one! http://signup.databasix.com
================================================== =========================
Sep 26 '05 #10

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Anyway: mySQL is popular because it was running everywhere and was open
sourced. Postgresql didn't run everywhere. (I always wondered why anybody
would bother to run a webserver under W$, but that is beside the point
here.)


I agree with that. And I think that PHP binaries for windoze included
MySQL functions.

People might not run web server under windoze, but many of them develop
on windoze machine.

I have completed a few PHP applications, but never done any with MySQL,
they were all with Postgress, and one with MS SQL on remote machine.

DG
Sep 26 '05 #11

P: n/a
Gary L. Burnore wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:20:14 +0200, Erwin Moller
<si******************************************@spam yourself.com> wrote:

Colin McKinnon wrote:

sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?
I've been using MySQL for some time - it works. I don't have enough
experience with Postgres to criticise it - indeed it is offered as GPL
without restrictions (a lot of people ignore the exceptions in the MySQL
license) which to my mind would make it more approriate. I will say that
MySQL has been the most reliable DBMS I've used, and easiest to manage
(compared with Oracle, MS-SQLserver, Progress and Pencil). (I'm not
wanting to start a flame war here - this is my experience - not
necessarily yours).

Is there an equivalent to phpMySQLAdmin for Postgres?

SQLite does not scale well.

C.


Hi,

I cannot restain myself, sorry.
But mySQL is the best db you ever saw?

Perhaps he meant best FREE db he ever saw? MySql works well for most
web apps. It's fast. It's free. Postgres is ok too. Lots of
postgres bigots out there. But if you're going to build an app based
on a free database, you'll choose the one that more people know about
and use. That'd be MySql right now.

Do you think it is better than Oracle?

Informix was better than oracle until IBM bought it to bury it.
Oracle has a better market share. That's why people use it.

Or MS SQLServer (one of the few good products BOUGHT by M$) ?


GOOD? Fool.


Actually, Informix isn't on the same level as Oracle. DB2 would be a
better comparison.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Sep 26 '05 #12

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?

MySQL is popular because most hosts have it, most hosts have it because
it is popular (as alluded to by another poster).

Postgresql is very nice but at the end of the day useless if you don't
always have a host you can control (most ISP friendly setups like cpanel
etc. I think bundle MySQL).
Is there some winning advantage that MySQL has over PostGRES that makes
it the de-facto standard in the PHP world?
It was on both major host platforms first (to my knowledge), it also
works out of the box extremely easily, even if sometimes it's integrity
constraints are somewhat lacking. From my personal experience I also
found the MySQL documentation hits Postgres out of the park. The fact
that it is easy to learn and has great doco is probably what made it the
optimum choice for most hosts in the first place.

Just curious, because I've been playing with PostGRES for about a month
now and it seems to scale MUCH better than MySQL, what with
clustering,transactions and all that jazz.


If you use the right table type I'm pretty sure MySQL has had
transactions for a fair while. Same deal goes with most of it's other
'failings', it is however rather unfortunate that the default table type
doesn't support a lot of things (and more disappointing that things like
views are only just being added).

Anyway basically I can't see postgres being deployed on run of the mill
web hosts any time soon, most of them are still running the 3.23.*
strand of MySQL.

Cheers,

Steve
Sep 26 '05 #13

P: n/a
Gary L. Burnore wrote:

<snip>
Perhaps he meant best FREE db he ever saw?


Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...
Check the licences. :-)
Postgresql has been around for many more years, and all the time it was
completely gpl'ed.

Aren't you mixing up things?
Like Progress?

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 26 '05 #14

P: n/a
NC
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:

I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?
1. Because more hosting providers have MySQL than either PostgreSQL
or SQLite.
2. Because MySQL is much more Windows-friendly. MySQL has a native
Windows server, while PostgreSQL server only runs on Windows with
Cygwin. PostgreSQL client runs on Windows natively, but you have
to compile it from source code.
3. Because PostgreSQL is more cumbersome to upgrade. In particular,
PostgreSQL data formats are incompatible between versions, so any
upgrade necessarily involves dumping data before the upgrade and
restoring it from dump files afterwards.
Is there some winning advantage that MySQL has over PostGRES that
makes it the de-facto standard in the PHP world?


Other than product promotion by MySQL AB, you mean? I think so.
MySQL meets the needs of the cross-platform developer. With MySQL,
you can develop on Windows and deploy on Unix. With PostgreSQL,
you can (theoretically) develop on Windows, but you need Cygwin
and a C compiler before you begin.

Cheers,
NC

Sep 26 '05 #15

P: n/a

sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
....

Just curious, because I've been playing with PostGRES for about a month
now and it seems to scale MUCH better than MySQL, what with
clustering,transactions and all that jazz.

Thoughts?


On top of that... PostGIS is so far ahead of MySQL GIS that it's
rediculous. I don't see any signs of MySQL GIS getting better either.
Kinda sucks because I want to use PostGIS, but then again, many of the
apps I want to use only work with MySQL.

Sep 26 '05 #16

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?


You forgot the dolphin. Programmers are attracted to cute animals.
That's also the reason why Linux is so much more popular than FreeBSD.

Sep 27 '05 #17

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...

Huh? I paid $0 for MySQL. How much more free is Postgresql? Will they
actually pay me to use it? I'm confused.
--
I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac.
Sep 28 '05 #18

P: n/a
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...

Huh? I paid $0 for MySQL. How much more free is Postgresql? Will they
actually pay me to use it? I'm confused.


Free as in 'Freedom', not as in 'free beer'.
(c) Richard Stallman

Yes, it is true that mySQL can be downloaded and used for 0 dollars.
That is the 'free beer' part.
But the licences of mySQL, to which you agreed by using it, are not GPL.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, please read on here:
www.gnu.org
or
www.fsf.org (Free Software Foundation)
That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to use,
modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 28 '05 #19

P: n/a
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:16:41 GMT, Andrew DeFaria <An****@DeFaria.com>
wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...

Huh? I paid $0 for MySQL. How much more free is Postgresql?


I was hoping he was joking.
--
gburnore@databasix dot com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
How you look depends on where you go.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary L. Burnore | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
DataBasix | ۳ݳ޳ݳۺݳ޳ݳݳ޳ݳ۳
| ۳ 3 4 1 4 2 ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ۳
Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division | Official Proof of Purchase
================================================== =========================
Want one? GET one! http://signup.databasix.com
================================================== =========================
Sep 28 '05 #20

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:

Free as in 'Freedom', not as in 'free beer'.
(c) Richard Stallman

Yes, it is true that mySQL can be downloaded and used for 0 dollars.
That is the 'free beer' part.
But the licences of mySQL, to which you agreed by using it, are not GPL.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, please read on here:
www.gnu.org
or
www.fsf.org (Free Software Foundation)
That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to use,
modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.

Regards,
Erwin Moller


Erm no. Mysql licensing is more restrictive than Postgresql but your
reasoning is completely off.

The reason MySQLs' is more restrictive is that to use the software for
free you are licensed it AS GPL (not LGPL) which means you have to
release source if you redistribute bundled with MySQL etc. In this case
GPL is more restrictive than the Postgre license which essentially says
you can do whatever the hell you like with it regardless of whether you
release source code or not.

Cheers,

Steve
Sep 28 '05 #21

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Gary L. Burnore wrote:

<snip>
Perhaps he meant best FREE db he ever saw?

Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...
Check the licences. :-)
Postgresql has been around for many more years, and all the time it was
completely gpl'ed.

Aren't you mixing up things?
Like Progress?


Aren't you mixing up GPL and BSD license? I'm assuming yes given MySQL
has 2 licensing options, one of which is GPL, while Postgresql is to the
best of my knowledge BSD.

The BSD license is more 'free', however spreading ignorance helps nobody.

Cheers,

Steve
Sep 28 '05 #22

P: n/a
sm*****@gmail.com writes:
I've been thinking on this long and hard, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer on it.

Why is it almost always assumed the MySQL will be the server for nearly
any PHP app?

Why is it MySQL and not PostGRES or SQLite?

At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?

Is there some winning advantage that MySQL has over PostGRES that makes
it the de-facto standard in the PHP world?

Just curious, because I've been playing with PostGRES for about a month
now and it seems to scale MUCH better than MySQL, what with
clustering,transactions and all that jazz.

Thoughts?


Actually, I think the clear reason was that MySQL had much
better performance than Postgres when involved in primarily read
operations from a database (which is a lot of web apps). Because
it was not as full featured as postgres (that is changing now), it
just ran faster with less overhead.

Admin also seems easier, MySQL for simple MyISAM tables just
stores DB's as a collection of simple files. It really does make
it easy for admin to shuffle things around if you have to (of course
that is lost if you opt for transaction and Innodb tables).

I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think the big
reason was admin simplicity and performance (usually a winning
combination!).
--
John
__________________________________________________ _________________
John Murtari Software Workshop Inc.
jmurtari@following domain 315.635-1968(x-211) "TheBook.Com" (TM)
http://thebook.com/
Sep 28 '05 #23

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL... Huh? I paid $0 for MySQL. How much more free is Postgresql? Will they
actually pay me to use it? I'm confused.

Free as in 'Freedom', not as in 'free beer'. (c) Richard Stallman

Yes, it is true that mySQL can be downloaded and used for 0 dollars.
That is the 'free beer' part.

Free as in I didn't pay anything for it. Everything else is pretty much
irrelevant! But the licences of mySQL, to which you agreed by using it, are not GPL. BFD! If this doesn't make any sense to you, please read on here:
www.gnu.org
or
www.fsf.org (Free Software Foundation) It not whether or not it makes cents (pun semi-intended), it's that it's
largely irrelevant to me (and most other people for that mater). That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to
use, modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.

Again, for my purposes all that's totally irrelevant.
--
Do you think that when they asked George Washington for ID that he just
whipped out a quarter?
Sep 29 '05 #24

P: n/a
Stephen Gordon wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:

Free as in 'Freedom', not as in 'free beer'.
(c) Richard Stallman

Yes, it is true that mySQL can be downloaded and used for 0 dollars.
That is the 'free beer' part.
But the licences of mySQL, to which you agreed by using it, are not GPL.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, please read on here:
www.gnu.org
or
www.fsf.org (Free Software Foundation)
That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to use,
modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.

Regards,
Erwin Moller


Erm no. Mysql licensing is more restrictive than Postgresql but your
reasoning is completely off.

The reason MySQLs' is more restrictive is that to use the software for
free you are licensed it AS GPL (not LGPL) which means you have to
release source if you redistribute bundled with MySQL etc. In this case
GPL is more restrictive than the Postgre license which essentially says
you can do whatever the hell you like with it regardless of whether you
release source code or not.

Cheers,

Steve


Oops,

You are completely right Steve.
I stand corrected!

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 29 '05 #25

P: n/a
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
Erwin Moller wrote:
Well, Postgresql is more free than MySQL...
Huh? I paid $0 for MySQL. How much more free is Postgresql? Will they
actually pay me to use it? I'm confused.

Free as in 'Freedom', not as in 'free beer'. (c) Richard Stallman

Yes, it is true that mySQL can be downloaded and used for 0 dollars.
That is the 'free beer' part.

Free as in I didn't pay anything for it. Everything else is pretty much
irrelevant!


Is it?
Well, that is your opinion: I do not agree.

But the licences of mySQL, to which you agreed by using it, are not GPL.

BFD!
If this doesn't make any sense to you, please read on here:
www.gnu.org
or
www.fsf.org (Free Software Foundation)

It not whether or not it makes cents (pun semi-intended), it's that it's
largely irrelevant to me (and most other people for that mater).
That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to
use, modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.

Again, for my purposes all that's totally irrelevant.


Good for you.
Anyway, I was wrong: check Steve's response.
But that doesn't make it right that you don't care about anything except the
price.
But really: That is your business and not mine. :-)
I think Richard Stallman has very valid things to say. Did you read any?

Enjoy mySQL'ing!
(I'll stick to Postgresql, NOT because of the license, but because I like it
a lot better.)

Regards,
Erwin Moller
Sep 29 '05 #26

P: n/a
Erwin Moller wrote:
Free as in I didn't pay anything for it. Everything else is pretty
much irrelevant!
Is it?


Yes it is.
Well, that is your opinion: I do not agree.
Now if (and that's that big word if) I were distributing software I
would be concerned about such things but I'm not, so again, for me, the
distinction is indeed irrelevant.
That is why I said: 'more free'. Postgresql is completely free to
use, modify, even sell it if you manage. MySQL has a less free licence.


Again, for my purposes all that's totally irrelevant.


Good for you. Anyway, I was wrong: check Steve's response. But that
doesn't make it right that you don't care about anything except the
price.


Huh? It's not really about "right" or "wrong". It's much more about
relevant or irrelevant. For me, and thousands of others it is indeed
irrelevant. We just want a DB. We get one. We don't have to pay for it.
Great. Why should it be relevant to us anything about licensing it for
distribution, etc. when we aren't doing that?
But really: That is your business and not mine. :-)
No it's not business - it's just a fact!
I think Richard Stallman has very valid things to say. Did you read any?
Some. Some are valid. Some are not. Some are applicable. Some isn't.
What's your point?
Enjoy mySQL'ing! (I'll stick to Postgresql, NOT because of the
license, but because I like it a lot better.)


There's better and then there's better. IMHO if you are using what's
popular you have a "better" shot at obtaining help. To me that's better
than your better.

Sep 29 '05 #27

P: n/a
On 2005-09-26 09:08:55 +0000, sm*****@gmail.com said:
Actually I pretty much feel the same... My question I'm asking though
is why MySQL? I just get the feeling that with it's prevailance that I
must be missing something here, other than of course it seems to be the
defacto standard.


It has FULLTEXT search which is very easy to use
and implement in your own applications. Compare it
with similar functionality in PostgreSQL - A nightmare.

--*
Seks, seksi, seksolatki...<uri: news:pl.soc.seks.moderowana > <~|{ A.A }|
Dotknij mnie, a ja...wzlec ponad Tob tcz...We wszystko co chcesz...
* Niech wiruje wiat...Kolorami Twoich dwikw...Dotknij mnie, a ja...
https://hyperreal.info | https://kanaba.info |=> "Gociu! Szanuj Ziele!"

Oct 1 '05 #28

P: n/a
On 2005-09-27 03:45:28 +0000, "Chung Leong" <ch***********@hotmail.com> said:
sm*****@gmail.com wrote:
At this point the only reason I can think of is that MySQL has a much
more friendly name. But is that really it?


You forgot the dolphin. Programmers are attracted to cute animals.
That's also the reason why Linux is so much more popular than FreeBSD.

MySQL is simply better in bed...

--*
I am the One. I am A vampire A-calling for your love! A.A!
I am the fire that burns within your blood. I am the One!!
No bars or chains can keep me from your bed! I am the One!
Nothing on earth can get me from your head! I am the One!!

Oct 1 '05 #29

P: n/a
On 2005-09-28 17:16:44 +0000, John Murtari <jm******@thebook.com> said:
I'm sure someone will correct me, but I think the big
reason was admin simplicity and performance (usually a winning
combination!).


...and FULLTEXT search. We use it extensively
all around the site. It's the most important
feature of MySQL, IMHO. It did kill our server
few times, but we will survive, we will survive.
Bleed like us...

--*
Seks, seksi, seksolatki...<uri: news:pl.soc.seks.moderowana > <~|{ A.A }|
Oh, make me over! I'm all I want to be! A walking study...in demonology!
So glad you can make it! Now you really made it! So glad you are? We are!
https://hyperreal.info | https://kanaba.info |=> "Gociu! Szanuj Ziele!"
Oct 1 '05 #30

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.