By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,722 Members | 1,874 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,722 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Cookies set one time, I delete cookie, cookie is never set again!

P: n/a
I am having this problem: My PHP script will set a cookie, it's there in my
/Cookies folder. I delete the cookie (I have to for testing purposes, the
PHP script I run behaves according to this cookie existing or not) and run
the script again. Everything runs fine, but the cookie is never set again.

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using Win2000 Professional with IE
6. Cookies are being set with PHP and Javascript.

Thanx
Phil
Jul 16 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a

"Phil Powell" <so*****@erols.com> schreef in bericht
news:JhO5b.113297$xf.17876@lakeread04...

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using Win2000 Professional with IE 6. Cookies are being set with PHP and Javascript.


Try deleting the cookie with the expires argument set to a date in the past
and look what happens then.

JW

Jul 16 '05 #2

P: n/a
[this post was not crossposted -- feel free to forward it]

Janwillem Borleffs wrote:

"Phil Powell" <so*****@erols.com> schreef in bericht
news:JhO5b.113297$xf.17876@lakeread04...

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using Win2000 Professional with

IE
6. Cookies are being set with PHP and Javascript.


Try deleting the cookie with the expires argument set to a date in the past
and look what happens then.


Or, everytime you delete the cookie, reboot :)

--
"Yes, I'm positive."
"Are you sure?"
"Help, somebody has stolen one of my electrons!"
Two atoms are talking:
Jul 16 '05 #3

P: n/a
I did that. Cookie was STILL being referenced by the browser even though I
deleted it and rebooted my computer.

Figure that one out!

Phil

"Pedro" <he****@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:57********************************@4ax.com...
[this post was not crossposted -- feel free to forward it]

Janwillem Borleffs wrote:

"Phil Powell" <so*****@erols.com> schreef in bericht
news:JhO5b.113297$xf.17876@lakeread04...

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using Win2000 Professional
withIE
6. Cookies are being set with PHP and Javascript.


Try deleting the cookie with the expires argument set to a date in the pastand look what happens then.


Or, everytime you delete the cookie, reboot :)

--
"Yes, I'm positive."
"Are you sure?"
"Help, somebody has stolen one of my electrons!"
Two atoms are talking:

Jul 16 '05 #4

P: n/a
Phil Powell wrote...
I did that. Cookie was STILL being referenced by the browser even though I
deleted it and rebooted my computer.

Figure that one out!


It worked for me (I rarely use IE). I went to google
(advanced_search), set my preferences to show 50 results, closed the
browser.

Reopened the browser, called google (advanced_search) and there it
was: the 50 results setting.
Closed my browser again.

In C:\Documents and Settings\Pedro\Cookies I had a file named
something like
pedro@google[1].txt
I deleted it, reopened the browser, went to google (advanced_search)
and the results drop down was back to 10 results!
HTH
Jul 16 '05 #5

P: n/a
Phil Powell wrote:
I am having this problem: My PHP script will set a cookie, it's there in my
/Cookies folder. I delete the cookie (I have to for testing purposes, the
PHP script I run behaves according to this cookie existing or not) and run
the script again. Everything runs fine, but the cookie is never set again.

Does anyone know why this happens? I am using Win2000 Professional with IE
6. Cookies are being set with PHP and Javascript.

Thanx
Phil


This isn't really a JavaScript question, and you haven't provided a lot of
details, but my first guess is that IE keeps a copy of cookies received during
a session (the time the app is running to the time it is shut down) in memory.
As a result, deleting the cookie from disk doesn't change IE's opinion that it
already has a copy of the cookie and does not need to write another to disk.

My first suggestion would be to close IE, delete the cookie, then start IE
again.

--
| Grant Wagner <gw*****@agricoreunited.com>

* Client-side Javascript and Netscape 4 DOM Reference available at:
*
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...ce/frames.html

* Internet Explorer DOM Reference available at:
*
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...ence_entry.asp

* Netscape 6/7 DOM Reference available at:
* http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/
* Tips for upgrading JavaScript for Netscape 7 / Mozilla
* http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-deve...upgrade_2.html
Jul 16 '05 #6

P: n/a
Did just what you said, but the cookie somehow still persists, and now for
some even more weird reason, seems to persist on others machines that have
never even visited the site (much less set the cookie!)

Phil

"hexkid" <he****@hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:da*************************@posting.google.co m...
Phil Powell wrote...
I did that. Cookie was STILL being referenced by the browser even though I deleted it and rebooted my computer.

Figure that one out!


It worked for me (I rarely use IE). I went to google
(advanced_search), set my preferences to show 50 results, closed the
browser.

Reopened the browser, called google (advanced_search) and there it
was: the 50 results setting.
Closed my browser again.

In C:\Documents and Settings\Pedro\Cookies I had a file named
something like
pedro@google[1].txt
I deleted it, reopened the browser, went to google (advanced_search)
and the results drop down was back to 10 results!
HTH

Jul 16 '05 #7

P: n/a
Phil Powell wrote:
Did just what you said, but the cookie somehow still persists, and now for
some even more weird reason, seems to persist on others machines that have
never even visited the site (much less set the cookie!)

Phil


hmmm ... some proxy between you and the server is misbehaving (and
keeping and sending cookies)?

--
"Yes, I'm positive."
"Are you sure?"
"Help, somebody has stolen one of my electrons!"
Two atoms are talking:
Jul 16 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.