By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
424,650 Members | 1,996 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 424,650 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

typical look of php based page

P: n/a
Hi,

I have noticed that some PHP based webpages
have a similar look. For instance, text within
non-overlapping, non-touching rectangles which are
nicely laid out on a page.

Is there some GUI-like library that people are
using to achieve that? When I've achieved the
same thing using html & javascript it's been quite
tedious to lay out, that's why I ask.

Thanks.
-s

Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
10 Replies


P: n/a
> I have noticed that some PHP based webpages
have a similar look. For instance, text within
non-overlapping, non-touching rectangles which are
nicely laid out on a page.

Is there some GUI-like library that people are
using to achieve that? When I've achieved the
same thing using html & javascript it's been quite
tedious to lay out, that's why I ask.


PHP as itself has no, nada, none whatsoever effect on how you visually lay
out the page, or how it looks. PHP is a server side scripting language,
which runs on the server performing operations when the page is accessed
(for example typically loading data from a database to display on the page).
The visual layout is still html and CSS (perhaps javascript for GUI stuff)
as with any other www-page. The visual layout is always rendered clientside
in the browser, according to the html and css of the page (which might have
been _created_ by a PHP-script), and the client has no idea what scripting
language or application is running on the server, or if those pages have
been built by hand or with PHP/ASP/other. Usually it is easy to guess, but
it is also rather easy to disguise it completely.

PHP acts serverside, and creates or modifies the HTML and possibly
CSS/Javascript that is sent to the client upon request.

HTML,CSS,Javascript render and act clientside, this process is independent
of possible PHP running on the server.

--
Suni
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a

Hmm. That's too bad. Somebody really should write
a GUI library for PHP.

Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
JDS
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:01:46 -0700, scrunchy2k wrote:
Hmm. That's too bad. Somebody really should write
a GUI library for PHP.


Why? It's called templating

--
JDS | je*****@example.invalid
| http://www.newtnotes.com
DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a

<sc********@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11*********************@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

Hmm. That's too bad. Somebody really should write
a GUI library for PHP.


That would be pointless. All that PHP produces is a text file containing
HTML tags. How it is actually rendered depends on the client's browser.
Also, there is no way on the client to determine the process which created
the HTML page - it could be PHP, Java, ASP, Coldfusion, COBOL, whatever.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a

I can tell you're not an application programmer. The answers are
easy but you're not seeing them.

Jul 17 '05 #6

P: n/a
sc********@yahoo.com wrote:
I can tell you're not an application programmer. The answers are
easy but you're not seeing them.


I can tell you're not a php or web programmer.

I agree with Tony. It would be pointless.

And I have almost 40 years of programming experience - including both systems
and applications. And lots of PHP experience.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Jul 17 '05 #7

P: n/a
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
<snip>
And I have almost 40 years of programming experience - including both systems
and applications.

<snip>

I'm skeptical towards "experience". Is it *really* matters?

--
<?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com

Jul 17 '05 #8

P: n/a

"R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" <ng**********@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:11**********************@g14g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
<snip>
And I have almost 40 years of programming experience - including both
systems
and applications.

<snip>

I'm skeptical towards "experience". Is it *really* matters?


Experience DOES make a difference. If you were building something, not just
software, would you trust someone with 30 minutes of theory or 30 years of
practical experience? People with experience know beforehand what is likely
to succeed and what is likely to fail. If they know from experience that
method A produces better results than method B, then they "know" to avoid
method B. People without that experience will carry on making the same old
mistakes.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

Jul 17 '05 #9

P: n/a
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
And I have almost 40 years of programming experience


No you don't.

Jul 17 '05 #10

P: n/a
sc********@yahoo.com wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

And I have almost 40 years of programming experience

No you don't.


Sorry, you're wrong.

My first programming was in Fortran II on an IBM 1401 computer with 4,000 (not
4K) bytes of core memory. This was in 1966. We used punched cards.

Since then I've done a lot of different things, including 13 years at IBM and 15
years as an independent consultant.

I have also served as Vice President and President of the Independent Computer
Consultant's Association, and am currently President (again) of the Greater
Washington Chapter of the ICCA.

And you can find me on the internet. I don't hide behind a Yahoo id. This is
my real name.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
js*******@attglobal.net
==================
Jul 17 '05 #11

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.