468,107 Members | 1,337 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,107 developers. It's quick & easy.

Looking for a good way to detect server platform

Hi,

I'm currently writing a wee library tool in PHP. It generates a few
(actually a lot) of temporary files and directories, so I need to setup
some garbage collection. I can do this a lot more effeciently from the
shell on a POSIX system than writing lots of PHP code, but the former wont
to work if someone tries to run it on a different platform.

(If on Unix/Linux/... I can use 'at now' to sperate the process group, and
use 'find' to delete the aged files).

Anybody got any hot tips on how to detect the platform? (I guess I could
search the $PATH for 'at' and 'find' but I was looking for a quicker fix)

TIA

C.
Jul 17 '05 #1
5 3245

The predefined constant PHP_OS holds the value 'WINNT', 'LINUX', etc as
appropriate...

---
Steve

Jul 17 '05 #2
Steve wrote:

The predefined constant PHP_OS holds the value 'WINNT', 'LINUX', etc as
appropriate...


Ta,

C.
Jul 17 '05 #3
"Colin McKinnon1" wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently writing a wee library tool in PHP. It generates
a few
(actually a lot) of temporary files and directories, so I need
to setup
some garbage collection. I can do this a lot more effeciently
from the
shell on a POSIX system than writing lots of PHP code, but the
former wont
to work if someone tries to run it on a different platform.

(If on Unix/Linux/... I can use 'at now' to sperate the
process group, and
use 'find' to delete the aged files).

Anybody got any hot tips on how to detect the platform? (I
guess I could
search the $PATH for 'at' and 'find' but I was looking for a
quicker fix)

TIA

C.


this is how I do it

$cwd = getcwd(); //get working directory
if (strstr($cwd, ":")) it is Windows....

--
Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/PHP-good-det...ict189356.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.dbforumz.com/eform.php?p=639934
Jul 17 '05 #4
On 19 Jan 2005 16:20:42 -0500, steve <Us************@dbForumz.com> wrote:
$cwd = getcwd(); //get working directory
if (strstr($cwd, ":")) it is Windows....


andyh@server:~/tmp$ mkdir :
andyh@server:~/tmp$ ls -ld :
drwxr-xr-x 2 andyh users 4096 2005-01-19 21:22 :/
andyh@server:~/tmp$ uname -a
Linux server 2.4.26 #1 Wed Oct 27 19:32:01 BST 2004 i586 unknown unknown
GNU/Linux

:-p

--
Andy Hassall / <an**@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool
Jul 17 '05 #5
"Andy Hassall" wrote:
On 19 Jan 2005 16:20:42 -0500, steve
<Us************@dbForumz.com> wrote:
$cwd = getcwd(); //get working directory
if (strstr($cwd, ":")) it is Windows....


andyh@server:~/tmp$ mkdir :
andyh@server:~/tmp$ ls -ld :
drwxr-xr-x 2 andyh users 4096 2005-01-19 21:22 :/
andyh@server:~/tmp$ uname -a
Linux server 2.4.26 #1 Wed Oct 27 19:32:01 BST 2004 i586
unknown unknown
GNU/Linux

:-p

--
Andy Hassall / <an**@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage
analysis tool


Hi Andy,

Ok, I did not know you can insert ":" into a unix path. I would
never have that situation with my paths, since they are totally under
my control -for webserving. In any case, the use of PHP_OS is a lot
better.

--
Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/PHP-good-det...ict189356.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.dbforumz.com/eform.php?p=640400
Jul 17 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

4 posts views Thread by tony | last post: by
21 posts views Thread by The Night Blogger | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Solo | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.